Author Topic: FREE 3/15: #2 Medical Thriller in January! SECTOR C - for Crichton and Cook fans  (Read 1333 times)  

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
"Contagion" Meets the Science of "Jurassic Park"

A rise in stroke-like cases has CDC analyst Mike Shafer on alert. Patients in every demographic in the Great Plains area, from toddlers to healthy adults to the elderly, are succumbing to rapid deterioration and death.

Veterinarian Donna Bailey, meanwhile, is dealing with an outbreak of her own. It looks like mad cow disease. But to be affecting so many species? Impossible.

Whatever it is, its spreading. Fast.

As state and federal agencies race to contain the growing threats, Mike and Donnas searches for Patient Zero intersect at a big-game compound in a remote corner of North Dakota. There they find their answer buried in a secret thought extinct for 10,000 years. A secret entrepreneur Walt Thurman will kill to protect.

But even if Mike and Donna can escape the compound with the secret of Sector C, it may already be too late.

Because after today, extinct no longer means forever.

Ripped from todays research and tomorrows headlines, SECTOR C is a near-future medical thriller fans of Michael Crichton and Robin Cook are sure to enjoy.  

Settle in for a satisfying mystery that plays out through clues dropped into story lines you know must somehow be connected but youre not sure how at first.  Halfway through, you and the two main characters learn what the answer to the mystery is, then the MCs are off running for their lives, only to maybe be saved by oh, now that would be telling!

Solid mystery in the beginning, fun thrills at the end.

With such a wild hypothesis at its core, the action in this book could have been ramped up right out of the realm of believability. A restrained hand makes the crisis not only plausible, youll be watching the news certain that its inevitable.

Dont expect a pulse-pounding adventure beginning to end. But brain-pounding? If there was an intelligent thriller category, SECTOR C would be in the top 10. Its one ah-ha moment after another.

82,000 words; about 328 pages - $3.99

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:06:51 am by Phoenix Sullivan »
Comments removed to protect content and data from the over-reaching TOS of new forum owner VerticalScope. VerticalScope claims rights to any content posted to this site as theirs to disseminate beyond this site in any way they see fit.

KBoards was purchased by VerticalScope 7.5 years and 4000 posts after I joined. VerticalScope will not allow that existing content to be permanently deleted, despite the fact I did not and do not agree to granting the new owners the rights to my content. - September 21, 2018

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    Welcome to KindleBoards, Phoenix, and congratulations on your book!  :)

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum.  Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so post this note in every thread. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
    Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Wondering why you should read a pandemic book if you've just seen the movie Contagion?

See Contagion Vs SECTOR C: Smackdown for a comparison.

Mild spoilers for both at the link.
    Comments removed to protect content and data from the over-reaching TOS of new forum owner VerticalScope. VerticalScope claims rights to any content posted to this site as theirs to disseminate beyond this site in any way they see fit.

KBoards was purchased by VerticalScope 7.5 years and 4000 posts after I joined. VerticalScope will not allow that existing content to be permanently deleted, despite the fact I did not and do not agree to granting the new owners the rights to my content. - September 21, 2018

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Because extinct doesn't always mean forever...
     ;)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Earlier this year, a team of Japanese geneticists made this prediction: A mammoth will be cloned within 5 years.

The mammoth genome has been mapped. Mouse tissue frozen for more than a dozen years has been successfully cloned. It's only a matter of patience now, and a little luck.

What then, do we do with those cloned megabeasts? And what if the process reintroduced something wholly unexpected back into the world?

SECTOR C tackles these questions -- and then ups the stakes even more.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Only 99 cents for a limited time!

Offline 41352

• View Profile
    It's on sale? Guys, buy this book now! It's excellent!  :)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Thank you, Chrys! It's got 4.5+ stars on Amazon and Goodreads so far.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Last week, we all saw the terrible tragedy unfold in Ohio when 56 exotic animals were shot to death after being let loose from their compound. More than one person commented on how they were reminded of SECTOR C on hearing the news and seeing the grim photos.

I'm glad the actions in the novel seem realistic in light of this event. I'm horrified that such things actually happen. THIS in Ohio was preventable before the animals were let loose. As soon as their cages were opened, though, the conclusion was inevitable.

On the same day we learned about the fate of these exotic beasts, the Today Show ran a segment on the possibility of cloning mammoths and one team's certainty we'll see a baby mammoth within a handful of years.

The science is now. The events are sadly only too plausible. Like real-life events themselves, SECTOR C doesn't wrap it all up in a tidy ending.

And it asks you to think about what you would do in the same circumstances. Would your reaction to the killings in Ohio be different if you lived in a surrounding neighborhood? Do you think officials acted too hastily? Could there have been another way to handle it? Could the outbreak in SECTOR C be handled differently?

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Ooh, the new Jurassic Park vid looks good. The movie and story seem to be holding up well. Hope I can say that about SECTOR C in 10 years. In 20 years? It'll probably be looked at as being historical rather than near-future ;)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    One of the main characters in SECTOR C is a veterinarian and a secondary character is a vet tech. These are folk I can truly identify with! Thirty years ago I received certification as a registered veterinary technician and worked in the profession for seven years.

I'm recounting those days in my Confessions of an Animal Junkie blog, with a weekly installment of my Vet Tech Tales. Come have a look! I'll also be serializing collections of those stories as ebooks starting in December.
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:31:20 am by Phoenix Sullivan »

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Tired of the "Hollywood" ending? SECTOR C doesn't tidy things up completely - no miraculous, last-minute cure, for instance. It doesn't really leave things open for a sequel, but neither does it serve up an expected resolution. Instead, it ties up the loose ends of the smaller subplots and leaves the over-arching themes open to the interpretation of your own conscience...
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:57:38 am by Phoenix Sullivan »

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    If you're concerned about the hunter in the first chapter being the main character, not to worry. He isn't. While animals do die in the book, all of the animal deaths -- and the deaths of people, for that matter -- are presented in a compassionate way, even if some of the circumstances under which the deaths occur are fairly noncompassionate. 

Offline Steverino

• View Profile
    This looks really fantastic.  Thanks!

(I miss Crichton.   :'()
    Outrageous Fortunes:
    A Novel of Alternate Histories 
    New World:
    A Frontier Fantasy Novel 
    If you read this ebook, you will die.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Thanks, Steverino!

I think we all miss Crichton. But he does have a new book completed by Richard Preston that was just recently released. Haven't read it yet, but Micro is definitely in my TBR-soon queue!

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    If all the holiday cheer has you just a little too cheerful, then SECTOR C might just be the dose of "oh-my-gosh-this-could-really-happen" horror you're looking for to counter the holiday spirit. ;)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    You'll see from the new release in my siggy that I was once a vet tech, just like one of the secondary characters in the book who -- well, that would be telling, wouldn't it? ;)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Giving SECTOR C the holiday bump 8).

Wishing all peace and joy this season and a 2012 that doesn't end in an apocalypse.

Offline acellis

• Denver, Colorado
      • View Profile
    This looks right up my alley. I'm going to go out and get it right away!

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Thanks, A.C.! Looks like you have some pretty thriller-ish reads yourself. Off to check them out now! :o)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    Grab a copy while it's free! Will be $2.99 on Sunday ;)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    SECTOR C was Amazon's featured Science Fiction Bestseller earlier this week!

Currently, it's Amazon's #2 High Tech SF read and #2 Medical Thriller.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    FREE on Thursday, March 15 only!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement