Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 429070 times)  

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
The Tea Thread
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:34:09 am »
A place for tea lovers to discuss tea in all of it's yummy glory. And tea accessories. I don't think that it is possible to have a tea thread without discussing tea accessories.

We accept people at all levels of tea love, bagged or loose leaf.

Admin update:

We are pleased to announce that this thread is now being sponsored by Teavana. Teavana is a great source of healthy, delicious teas. In return for their support of our boards, we're featuring Teavana ads sprinkled through this thread, featuring their tea products and specials.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:13:17 pm by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    Re: The Tea Thread
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:37:37 am »
    Acceptance even if you only use Lagg's Green Tea?  :-\

Although to be honest I absolutely love Red Tea, it's just so terribly expensive here, along with all other teas.
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:40:18 am »
    The tea lovers were worried that we had totally co-opted the Coffee or Tea thread so we figured it made sense to start a Tea thread.

http://www.teavana.com/ Teavana's website A good place for those just trying loose leaf tea to go. There are many teas but it is not overwhelming.

http://www.teamerchants.com/Catalog/Default.aspx Tea Gschwender a good place for all tea lovers to go. Tons of teas and tea goodies. It can be a bit more overwhelming then Teavan because there are thousands of teas. It is a good place to go when you are ready to experiment a bit more.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 09:41:05 am »
    Anju were do you live? I posted a couple of websites that sell loose leaf tea at pretty good prices.

I have never heard of Lagg's Green Tea
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:20:44 pm by ProfCrash »

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:42:13 am »
    I live in Mexico !
    Dona

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:44:00 am »
    http://www.republicoftea.com/?gclid=CKan_rv43JoCFQ-5FQodtExy3Q The Republic of Tea has reasonably good tea in bags. They have Red Teas and Green Teas. Price wise they are a bit more expensive then the loose leaf teas and they do not have the same variety. You can find Republic of Tea in stores like Whole Foods and World Market.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:48:35 am »
    I live in Mexico !

Check and see if some of these stores ship to Mexico. Republic of Tea can be purchased through Amazon. It looks like Teavana is sold through Amazon as well. Adagio are suppose to be good but I have never had any of their tea. They are also available through Amazon.

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 09:50:06 am »
    I love tea, just have a very hard time finding those I love. I mostly use loose leaf but like Stashes rose tea on occasions which is bagged.

My favorite is Pacific Sum from Special Teas Inc in Victoria BC.  Its a...you guessed it a black tea, actually its a Ceylon black tea, orange peel, rose blossoms, marigold, and vanilla pieces.  They had an Earl Grey Special that I got a very small amount to try when I ordered more Pacific Sun. It's Ceylon black tea, Oil of bergamot, jasmine, lemongrass, lemon peel. I like it a lot but can't really afford to pay for the product and the outrageous shipping from Canada  :-\.

So had my mom take me to the new tea shop in Olympia for my birthday to see if I can find something closer to home.  I found and like Harney & Sons Paris tea.  Its a Flavored black tea.  Also Golden Moon Rose. Don't know the maker as it is bought by the ounce form the store. Its another Black tea with rose flavor and petals.  

She purchased some different teas so we went to her house and had a taste test. I didn't like any she bought but she did like the Paris tea.

I have two tea strainers but they are awkward to use. I'm thinking about getting one that looks like a little cup and sits inside your cup. They seem easier to fill.

My favorite is tea and Cinnamon bread for evening snack.

Prof, what teas do you like?

Theresam

So many good books, so little time!

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 09:55:13 am »
    Acceptance even if you only use Lagg's Green Tea?  :-\

Although to be honest I absolutely love Red Tea, it's just so terribly expensive here, along with all other teas.

I don't think I've tried a Red Tea. Is it much different than green tea. I've tried several green teas and they just aren't my thing but did find one that I considered purchasing while at the tea shop. They had a sample that agreed with my taste buds.

theresam

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:24 am »
    Red tea is not actually a tea. It is an herbal infusion. It comes from the Rooibos plant in South Africa. It is caffine free and proports to have 100 times the anti oxidants of green tea. It has an earth taste but is quite yummy. I drink about five different red teas. Red Team Ginger, Lemon, Chocolate, Capetown (hibiscus, rose, blue mallow, and marigold), and Jungle Fire (cinnamon, nutmeg). Good stuff. Especially for people who want something hot to drink at night but don't want the caffeine.

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 10:04:51 am »
    Red tea is not actually a tea. It is an herbal infusion. It comes from the Rooibos plant in South Africa. It is caffine free and proports to have 100 times the anti oxidants of green tea. It has an earth taste but is quite yummy. I drink about five different red teas. Red Team Ginger, Lemon, Chocolate, Capetown (hibiscus, rose, blue mallow, and marigold), and Jungle Fire (cinnamon, nutmeg). Good stuff. Especially for people who want something hot to drink at night but don't want the caffeine.

Thanks Prof, the capetown sounds like something I'd like. For some reason caffeine from tea doesn't bother me. It's the only caffeine drink I can have that doesn't give me a headache.

theresam

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:59:37 pm by Harvey »

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 10:12:00 am »
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gf?url=search-alias%3Dgourmet&field-keywords=teavana+tea&x=0&y=0 This is what I get when I type in Teavana Tea at Amazon search

I love tea, just have a very hard time finding those I love. I mostly use loose leaf but like Stashes rose tea on occasions which is bagged.

My favorite is Pacific Sum from Special Teas Inc in Victoria BC.  Its a...you guessed it a black tea, actually its a Ceylon black tea, orange peel, rose blossoms, marigold, and vanilla pieces.  They had an Earl Grey Special that I got a very small amount to try when I ordered more Pacific Sun. It's Ceylon black tea, Oil of bergamot, jasmine, lemongrass, lemon peel. I like it a lot but can't really afford to pay for the product and the outrageous shipping from Canada  :-\.

So had my mom take me to the new tea shop in Olympia for my birthday to see if I can find something closer to home.  I found and like Harney & Sons Paris tea.  Its a Flavored black tea.  Also Golden Moon Rose. Don't know the maker as it is bought by the ounce form the store. Its another Black tea with rose flavor and petals.   

She purchased some different teas so we went to her house and had a taste test. I didn't like any she bought but she did like the Paris tea.

I have two tea strainers but they are awkward to use. I'm thinking about getting one that looks like a little cup and sits inside your cup. They seem easier to fill.

My favorite is tea and Cinnamon bread for evening snack.

Prof, what teas do you like?

Theresam

Where do you live? Teavana has stores across the US. Also there are some great internet based tea stores. I linked my favorites in an earlier post.

It sounds like you are thinking about an infuser basket. Those work great. Zarafina makes a tea machine that works well. It is on sale on Amazon right now and can be found at Tuesday Morning for even less then the price on Amazon.

I have something like 40 loose leaf teas. I am a bit addicted.

All of my current favorites come from Tea Gschwender. Some can be found at other stores but some of the blends are Gschwedner only. My favorites (ie the ones I refill)

Green:

Bancha
    Sencha
    Green Tea Ginger
    Jasmine Pearls (Very infrequently purchased because they are expensive)

Oolongs:

Formosa Fancy Oolong Ming Xing
    Bossa Nova (Oolong with Vanilla, a must have)
    Sumatra Oolong Barison

Darjeelings:

Margaret's Hope
    Avongrove

Black Tea:

Earl Grey Imperior
    Anna's

Black/Green Blend:

Arabian Night

Reds:

Lemon
    Capetown
    Chocolate
    Jungle Fire
    Ginger

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 10:12:45 am »
    Thanks Prof, the capetown sounds like something I'd like. For some reason caffeine from tea doesn't bother me. It's the only caffeine drink I can have that doesn't give me a headache.

theresam

Tea tends to have less caffeine then coffee and soda. Green teas tend to have less caffeine then black teas.

Offline Sanveann

• Michigan
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 10:14:57 am »
    We're not very fancy here ... we mostly drink PG Tips :)
    ~ Alexis, mom to Matthew, Eli and the Furry Horde

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 10:18:41 am »
    We're not very fancy here ... we mostly drink PG Tips :)

PG Tips?

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 10:33:50 am »
    I mostly drink black teas in various varieties. But I also like green tea. Rooibos is ok, I have some but it's not my favorite. Not really my cup of tea  :D I have a lovely Persian loose leaf that I buy at the local Persian market, it does have bergamot oil in it. I find it interesting that I love it, but I have hated every Earl Grey I've ever tried. I've mostly bought Republic of Tea. I love the Ginger Peach, Vanilla Almond and Blackberry Sage and they have some very nice green teas.

I'm very disappointed in most attempts at chai I've found packaged in dried form although the concentrates are ok. I need to practice more on the stove top steeping my own concentrates since I love chai lattes.  

Forgot to add that we get some very nice green teas at the local Asian market but I leave that decision up to my daughter since she is the one knowledgeable in that area.
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:35:34 am by Rasputina »

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 10:38:49 am »
    For those new to the tea discussions....Crash knows her tea.  She has not steered me wrong yet and totally converted me from the occasional cup of bag tea to obsessing about loose tea, teavana, and the zarafina teamaker.  I love to hear about everybody's favorite teas...my current favorite is mixing Teavana's Emerald Bamboo Forest (white tea), with Blueberry Bliss (Rooibos Tea). I'm enjoying a cup right now.  Looking forward to hearing about everybody's favorites and to finding new loose tea converts.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 10:49:33 am »
    I mostly drink black teas in various varieties. But I also like green tea. Rooibos is ok, I have some but it's not my favorite. Not really my cup of tea  :D I have a lovely Persian loose leaf that I buy at the local Persian market, it does have bergamot oil in it. I find it interesting that I love it, but I have hated every Earl Grey I've ever tried. I've mostly bought Republic of Tea. I love the Ginger Peach, Vanilla Almond and Blackberry Sage and they have some very nice green teas.

I'm very disappointed in most attempts at chai I've found packaged in dried form although the concentrates are ok. I need to practice more on the stove top steeping my own concentrates since I love chai lattes. 

Forgot to add that we get some very nice green teas at the local Asian market but I leave that decision up to my daughter since she is the one knowledgeable in that area.

I started with the Republic of Tea and moved out to Teavana. I found that the Teavana teas were just as good, if not a bit better, and less expensive. The three that you mentioned were three of my favorites. Very yummy and distinctive.

I love the idea of buying teas at specialty markets. I have not found any of those were I live. The Persian tea you mentioned sounds really good.

A suggestion on the Chai making. Try one of those Italaian espresso machines. You know the silver ones that you use on the stove top? I use that to make Yerba Matte lattes and love them. I think the way the water is forced through the filter leads to more flavor concentration. No idea, it is a guess.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 11:04:02 am »
    Check and see if some of these stores ship to Mexico. Republic of Tea can be purchased through Amazon. It looks like Teavana is sold through Amazon as well. Adagio are suppose to be good but I have never had any of their tea. They are also available through Amazon.

You would not believe how horrible the duty is!  Usually, at a minimum, the cost of the item if not double!  I and my friends ten to stock up when taking trips NOB by vehicle, my current "mule" is loaded so will have to wait until next trip.
    Dona

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 11:05:58 am »
    I have one of those, I can't remember what it's called anymore though. I think my main problem is getting the proportions right for my taste. The boxed chai tends to be black tea with a little spice, I like mine in the north Indian style and much stronger flavor more spices less actual tea.

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 11:07:38 am »
    Tea tends to have less caffeine then coffee and soda. Green teas tend to have less caffeine then black teas.

That must be why I like black tea LOL. Got to get caffeine where I can.

I live in Tacoma, WA. So Victoria isn't really too far from me. But a faerie ride would cost way more than the shipping LOL.

There is a Tuesday Mornings near me. I'll check them out next time I'm near the store.  The tea shop we were at stated that we needed different infuser cups for different flavors as the flavor stays in the infuser even after washing. Have you used one? is this true?  I know that you don't want to use a coffee maker that has been used for coffee to make hot water as it keeps the coffee taste, but didn't know that teas did this as well.

That's a lot of teas. I'm lucky to find 3-4 that I even like. Though I do like Oolong. Forgot to check the tea shop we were at for pricing as they are usually expensive.

I'll check out the websites you listed.

thanks

Theresam

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 11:11:01 am »
    I meant to post this in the other thread and never got around to it. As much as I love the Zarafina my only complaint is that it only makes 2 cups at a time and that the tea pot doesn't hold the heat for very long. I've been coveting a cast iron Japanese tea pot for awhile now but haven't bought one. I'd like to be able to make at least 4-6 cups of tea at a time because I rarely drink tea alone. My daughter always drinks with me and we often want more than one cup.

I hadn't seen the Zo hot water dispensers before and now I want one of those too.  :o

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 11:14:48 am »
     The tea shop we were at stated that we needed different infuser cups for different flavors as the flavor stays in the infuser even after washing. Have you used one? is this true?  I know that you don't want to use a coffee maker that has been used for coffee to make hot water as it keeps the coffee taste, but didn't know that teas did this as well.

I've noticed that if I'm lazy about cleaning out the infuser basket in my Zarafina it can keep the smell of the tea, the vanilla almond has been notorious for this at my house. I have used vinegar to soak it in for cleaning, I'm doing it anyway to get off the tea stains and it helps deodorize. It's not a problem except when I get lazy though. I can't imagine having a different infuser for every flavor but I can see reserving one for white tea and maybe even green if you drink black tea a lot.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 11:21:16 am »
    I have one of those, I can't remember what it's called anymore though. I think my main problem is getting the proportions right for my taste. The boxed chai tends to be black tea with a little spice, I like mine in the north Indian style and much stronger flavor more spices less actual tea.

It is more of an art then anything. I put in one teaspoon for each 6 ounces I am making. I get my Chai through Tea Gschwender and enjoy it. There is plenty of spice to it for me.

You would not believe how horrible the duty is!  Usually, at a minimum, the cost of the item if not double!  I and my friends ten to stock up when taking trips NOB by vehicle, my current "mule" is loaded so will have to wait until next trip.

Gotcha. Teavana has stores in Mexico. Check their website. I have no idea how close they are to you. But if they have stores in Mexico, you might be able to order from them without having to pay the duty. Just a thought.

That must be why I like black tea LOL. Got to get caffeine where I can.

I live in Tacoma, WA. So Victoria isn't really too far from me. But a faerie ride would cost way more than the shipping LOL.

There is a Tuesday Mornings near me. I'll check them out next time I'm near the store.  The tea shop we were at stated that we needed different infuser cups for different flavors as the flavor stays in the infuser even after washing. Have you used one? is this true?  I know that you don't want to use a coffee maker that has been used for coffee to make hot water as it keeps the coffee taste, but didn't know that teas did this as well.

That's a lot of teas. I'm lucky to find 3-4 that I even like. Though I do like Oolong. Forgot to check the tea shop we were at for pricing as they are usually expensive.

I'll check out the websites you listed.

thanks

Theresam

I use one infuser for all of my teas. I guess I am not picky enough to worry about the flavor leeching. I can see where it would be more of a problem with White teas because they are pretty delicate in flavor. The Oolongs are a bit more pricey but ohh so good. The Bossa Nova is actually not all that badly priced.

Offline tessa

• long island ny
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 11:42:09 am »
    I'm just a plain Lipton Tea girl    I use a Mr Coffee with 5 tea bags and 10 cups of water, and I'm good till lunch.  (When I do drink coffee it's Dunkin Donuts)

Tessa

KBoards.com

• Advertisement