Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 431962 times)  

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2009, 05:52:05 pm »
My wife and I have had high tea at the Empress. Very enjoyable, and one of those things you "have to do" when visiting Victoria.

I love that whole inner harbour area in Victoria. We spent our anniversary there about five years ago.
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: May 31, 2009, 06:24:51 pm »
    In Arizona they have high tea at the Phoenician Hotel...it's wonderful!

Offline Lynn

• Lake Wales Florida
    • Member #356
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: May 31, 2009, 07:04:01 pm »
    I have enjoyed reading through this thread, I love tea but consider myself a novice ;D. For the most part I drink bagged red rose because that is what we had when I was growing up. A friend sent me some tea as a Christmas present I think in 2007. They are in bags but also in tight sealed tins. How long does tea last? I can smell the different additives (?). It looks like I have a mix of Rooibos blends and black blends.
    I guess I'll just have to experiment with them about how long to steep. Or I suppose the sites you listed probably give suggestions for beginners like me!

Lynn L

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: May 31, 2009, 07:12:01 pm »
    Big difference between brewing Black teas and Rooibos...If you go to teavana's website it will tell you the time and temp to brew the different teas.  I'm no expert but In the past 6 months I've learned from the different websites. Profcrash is our resident expert and will probably be back on here tomorrow and she may have a few pointers for you.  Hang out here and you'll learn a lot about tea.  I'm liking tea so much that I'm drinking less and less diet coke...and I was an addict.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: May 31, 2009, 07:43:19 pm »
    man...that Zarafina is tempting

I bought several different kinds of Assams from TG......turns out they are just too bitter for me.

Has anyone ever had High Tea at The Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC? http://www.fairmont.com/empress/GuestServices/Restaurants/AfternoonTea.htm
    My wife and I did that after our Alaska Cruise a few years and really loved it. I would love to find tea like they served there. I thought the Assams sounded simlar but definitely did not taste similar   :P

--------------------------
    The Empress Blend:
    The Empress blend is a selection of seasonal, quality teas, created exclusively for The Fairmont Empress by the Metropolitan Tea Company. With components from Assam (thick malty and full bodied), Kenya (floral-like flavor and a golden coppery infusion), South India (superb fruity and sprightly flavor), Ceylon (airy, almost piquant flavor), and China (burgundy depth with light oaky notes), it is truly one of the finest blends in the world.

You might call them and see if they sell the blend that they use. It sounds like they are using a black green blend (Chinese teas tend to be green) and they are clearly using many different blacks.

Offline Aravis60

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: May 31, 2009, 08:00:24 pm »
    I love tea and have been enjoying this thread as well. For Christmas, my mom got me a Primula gift set.

Watching the flower bloom in the teapot is fun! Does anyone else have one of these?

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: May 31, 2009, 08:04:27 pm »
    You might call them and see if they sell the blend that they use. It sounds like they are using a black green blend (Chinese teas tend to be green) and they are clearly using many different blacks.
    I don't understand black/green blends... Do you brew it like a black and "burn" the green tea?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:09:23 pm by Harvey »

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: May 31, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »
    I don't understand black/green blends... Do you brew it like a black and "burn" the green tea?

The specific blend will give you directions on how to make it, at least all of mine do. The ones I make are treated like a black tea with the green adding a hint of flavor to the tea.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: June 01, 2009, 06:23:12 am »
    I am starting the morning with a Rooibos Capetown from Gschwender. Rooibos with hibiscus blossoms, rose, and blue mallow blossoms, and marigold blossoms.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: June 01, 2009, 09:05:51 am »
    My Flavor of the day...Snow Geisha with Rooibos Tropica both from teavana!

Offline SongbirdVB

• Crystal, Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Songbird's Nest
    « Reply #110 on: June 01, 2009, 09:41:23 am »
    Sounds like a Rooibos kind of day.  I'm having Rooibos Tropics from Adagio Teas, a tea from one of the sample sets I got.
    Those that cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they must pass themselves; for every person has need of being forgiven.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: June 01, 2009, 09:48:41 am »
    My mid-morning tea was  Darjeeling Lingia. I am having a cup of Gemancha with my lunch (Sencha with toasted rice, yummy).

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: June 01, 2009, 11:55:20 am »
    I love tea and have been enjoying this thread as well. For Christmas, my mom got me a Primula gift set.

Watching the flower bloom in the teapot is fun! Does anyone else have one of these?

THAT is seriously cool!  I have no idea if I'd like those teas, but now I want to see one "bloom". :)
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: June 01, 2009, 12:10:19 pm »
    THAT is seriously cool!  I have no idea if I'd like those teas, but now I want to see one "bloom". :)

You can find them at World Market and I think Whole Foods. The are pretty common now. I use them when I have teas because they are pretty. hmmmmm Maybe I can use small clear tea pots with the pretty flowering teas as centerpieces at the wedding.....

My afternoon tea: Orange Blossom Oolong.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: June 01, 2009, 12:25:49 pm »
    I saw those tea flowers at World Market.  They did look pretty cool.  Love the idea of the flowering teas as centerpieces.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: June 01, 2009, 12:42:15 pm »
    OK I am trying the Pineapple Mango Black tea that came with the Gschwender Award Winning/Nominated tea set. It is actually good. I say this some surprise because I rarely like the fruity teas. When I put the tea into the infuser basket, you could see the dehydrated mango and pineapple. The flavors are nicely balanced and not over powering. I think I might like it better then the Orange Blossom Oolong.

hmmm how to convince the fiance that flowering tea pots would be a good centerpiece...

Offline Marine Mom

• View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: June 01, 2009, 01:27:37 pm »
    This seems like a good place to ask about identifying a particular tea.  Years ago, before I became a tea drinker, there was a tea shop that sold a black tea with blueish blossoms in it.  A friend always wanted it shipped as a special treat.  Supposedly it was the Best Tea Ever.  Now that I've come to appreciate tea, I've been wondering about that tea  --  but the store is no longer there (and was overseas anyway), and the friend is also not longer there, and I have no idea what the stuff was called.  (Maybe I never knew; I just nodded toward that particular bin and asked for a pound or so.)  Do blue blossoms sound familiar to anyone?  It was their best-selling tea, and also one of the most expensive ones they sold, if that helps.  And I think the leaves were relatively large.

Susan,
    I have a tea by Twinings that has blue blossoms as you describe. It's called Lady Grey and is a counterpart to Earl Grey with bergamot, plus the addition of lemon and orange, with a sprinkling of cornflowers, about the color of the tin in the link below. It's pretty good, reminds me a bit of Constant Comment with the orange flavor.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: June 01, 2009, 01:32:11 pm »
    Lady Grey is a good tea. I have enjoyed many a cup. It is one of the Earl Grey's that I can drink without eating something because it has less bergamot or the bergamot is better balanced by something in the tea. It is not a very expensive tea though.

Marine Mom: What other teas do you drink?

Offline Carolyn Kephart

• View Profile
      • Carolyn Kephart: A Writing Life
    « Reply #118 on: June 01, 2009, 01:55:39 pm »
    What a fun thread. :)

When I was in Japan last summer, the blistering heat made cold green tea a sublime pleasure; it was always readily available in bottles thanks to that country's ubiquitous vending machines. When I returned home I couldn't find the taste I wanted--plain. No citrus, no other flavors, just the tea, thanks. Then I discovered powered Kroger instant green tea, and life is wonderful. It tastes just like Kyoto.

Regarding high tea at the Victoria Empress, it was just too pricey for me when I visited long ago. I've given high teas, though, with all the trimmings--breads, cakes, scones with cream and jam, every bite homemade. Loose Twining's Darjeeling is the bev of choice at such times.

CK

Offline Marine Mom

• View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: June 01, 2009, 01:58:06 pm »
    Lady Grey is a good tea. I have enjoyed many a cup. It is one of the Earl Grey's that I can drink without eating something because it has less bergamot or the bergamot is better balanced by something in the tea. It is not a very expensive tea though.

Marine Mom: What other teas do you drink?

Oh, I have a few that I like. My current favorite (hot tea) is Twinings Prince of Wales--a black tea that has a nice richness to it.  In the winter I love a steaming pot of Lapsang Souchong. It will curl your hair but I love it! Real dark smoky flavor.
    A recent discovery for me is Stash Premium Double Spice Chai Black Tea.

Also, I make a couple gallons of iced tea a day, sometimes adding some Earl Grey for interest, but usually just the gallon size Tetley Private Estate Iced Tea.
    I sweeten it with Crystal Light tea to a ratio of 1 qt instant to 3 qts fresh brewed. I'm sure using instant sounds like sacrilege on this thread  :-[ but it gives just the right amount of half sweetness without clouding the tea---a challenge when making it in the quantities I do. Not very exotic, but it's great refreshment for little cost. And my kids and all their friends love it! All those antioxidants, and we stay away from the soda...

Offline frojazz

• Southaven, MS
    • He's my Huckleberry!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #120 on: June 01, 2009, 02:27:20 pm »
    I have enjoyed reading through this thread, I love tea but consider myself a novice ;D. For the most part I drink bagged red rose because that is what we had when I was growing up. A friend sent me some tea as a Christmas present I think in 2007. They are in bags but also in tight sealed tins. How long does tea last? I can smell the different additives (?). It looks like I have a mix of Rooibos blends and black blends.
    I guess I'll just have to experiment with them about how long to steep. Or I suppose the sites you listed probably give suggestions for beginners like me!

Lynn L

Lynn,
    If you live somewhere near a Teavana location, it is a great way to get started in tea.  You can go into the store and they take these huge tins from the wall and open them to let you smell and see the tea before you purchase.  They also usually have a couple of teas made so that you can taste one or two kinds, although they tend to blend two different flavors of tea together.  Even if you don't buy any loose tea, you can order just a cup to sip and try, but I find that they made the one I ordered too strong for my taste.  I want to go, now!   :D

Oh, and tea is supposed to last a year in a well sealed tin.  Time to get you some more tea!  ;)
    Anybody want a peanut?

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: June 01, 2009, 02:50:35 pm »
    While I push the loose leaf tea (it tastes so good, and is so yummy, and is less expensive) what really matters is that people enjoy the tea that they have.

Tea is all about relaxing and feeling refreshed no matter what is going on at that moment.

Enjoy what you enjoy.

And then find a Teavana or other such tea store near you and be ready to be truly amazed at all the yummy varieties out there.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: June 01, 2009, 03:34:38 pm »
    While I push the loose leaf tea (it tastes so good, and is so yummy, and is less expensive) what really matters is that people enjoy the tea that they have.

Tea is all about relaxing and feeling refreshed no matter what is going on at that moment.

Enjoy what you enjoy.

And then find a Teavana or other such tea store near you and be ready to be truly amazed at all the yummy varieties out there.
    You are right...I love the loose tea varieties but I also still love Fresh & Easy's pomegranate white tea bags.  I travel a lot and the bag teas as easy to pack!

Offline Carolyn Kephart

• View Profile
      • Carolyn Kephart: A Writing Life
    « Reply #123 on: June 01, 2009, 03:37:29 pm »
    Speaking of Teavana, there's one only too near me, and I go there mainly to sigh with frustrated desire over the teapots. It's always got the coolest clientele, and the staff's delightful.

CK

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: June 01, 2009, 04:20:17 pm »
    I always spend too much money when I go to teavana!!!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement