Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 431971 times)  

Offline Sweety18

• View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 11:44:12 am »
I love tea, I drink at least one cup a day (religiously) and then some days two or three.

Support our sponsor: Teavana - delicious, healthy teas!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:16:28 pm by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 11:54:04 am »
    I'm just a plain Lipton Tea girl    I use a Mr Coffee with 5 tea bags and 10 cups of water, and I'm good till lunch.  (When I do drink coffee it's Dunkin Donuts)

Tessa

A good place to start. There are sooooo many tea adventures waiting for you when you decide you want to branch out a bit.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 11:55:04 am »
    I love tea, I drink at least one cup a day (religiously) and then some days two or three.
    What type? Do share with the group.

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 02:07:15 pm »
    You guys are absolutely the worst enablers LOL

I now want

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 02:30:22 pm »
    You guys are absolutely the worst enablers LOL

I now want

oooh ...what's that?

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 02:40:34 pm »
    LOL--Lipton is my "daily" tea.  It's what I grew up on & I'm a girl of habit.  **ducks head in shame**

I love Earl Grey but have a mild allergy to the bergamot, so it doesn't work well for my all day drinking habit.  I often use Teavana Rooibos teas for the evenings--chai, orange + vanilla, or peach + blueberry bliss (which is an EXCELLENT iced tea...I think I'll go pull out the big infuser.....).

Theresa, there's a Teavana in Bellevue Square.  I don't think they have one further down, but if you ever make it up to the Eastside, it's a terrific place to stop.  There's also British Pantry in Redmond (lots of UK products, plus a little pub), and I believe there's still a tea shop in Issaquah's Gilman Village as well.  Hubby is a Yorkshire Gold drinker from time he spent in England, and those are the two places we tend to pick it up.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:01:44 pm by Harvey »
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 03:23:58 pm »
    Thanks Prof - Teavana is in Mexico City and Acapulco, a little ways from us but I'll check out the possibility of ordering from them.

The things you learn on kboards.com  ;)
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 03:40:07 pm »
    LOL--Lipton is my "daily" tea.  It's what I grew up on & I'm a girl of habit.  **ducks head in shame**

Theresa, there's a Teavana in Bellevue Square.  I don't think they have one further down, but if you ever make it up to the Eastside, it's a terrific place to stop.  There's also British Pantry in Redmond (lots of UK products, plus a little pub), and I believe there's still a tea shop in Issaquah's Gilman Village as well.  Hubby is a Yorkshire Gold drinker from time he spent in England, and those are the two places we tend to pick it up.

Thanks VictoriaP, maybe I can talk my mom into a visit to Bellevue. I love Bellevue square but since I moved to the south end of WA I haven't made it back up that way, it's been about 8 years!

I also drink lipton,,,, or at least until I started branching out into other teas. It's part of the reason I like mostly black teas and Orange Pekoe.

Anyone take theirs with Milk, cream, or soy?

theresam
    So many good books, so little time!

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 03:59:41 pm »
    Nope. I take mine straight. Milk and cream prevent the anti-oxidants from absorbing so it is best not to use mile or cream in your green or red teas.

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 04:07:06 pm »
    Milk here in black tea; also in the rooibos chai.  The other red teas I can take with or without milk.

Just dug around in the pantry and found a Teavana Rooibos Peach + Herbal Strawberry/Kiwi blend that I'd picked up just for iced tea after sampling it in the Bellevue store.  Brewing up a second container of it now as I know the first pitcher will be gone quickly!  Unfortunately there's not a lot of leaf left, so I either need to put the Kindle & laptop down to go shopping.....or order it online.  LOL

Has anyone tried their rock sugar?  http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/Rock-Sugar-Honey/German-Rock-Cane-Sugar-1-lb.axd  I've often wondered if there's any real advantage to using that over the plain white stuff, especially when brewing iced tea.
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 04:09:24 pm »
    I only use milk when I'm drink masala chai. As for sugar, when I do use it I use honey in hot tea and homemade simple syrup in iced. I just keep it in a canning jar in the fridge.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 05:00:25 pm »
    I don't use sugar or milk but I have wondered about the rock sugar they sell at Teavana.

Offline Sanveann

• Michigan
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 05:15:12 pm »
    PG Tips?

It's an English brand. My DH's father is from England originally, and they're all MAJOR tea drinkers! I'd never heard of PG Tips before I met DH, but it's all he'll drink.
    ~ Alexis, mom to Matthew, Eli and the Furry Horde

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 05:16:01 pm »
    I think I saw PG Tips brand at World Market yesterday.

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 07:28:56 pm »
    Good to know about not putting milk/cream in red or green teas.

I actually only use cream when I'm out to tea. I love going to places for 'High tea'. I enjoy all the goodies and the teas. Its pretty much the only time I allow myself milk or cream in my tea. Every few years I'm able to talk my mom or sister into a 'tea party'  ;D.

Hadn't thought about sugar. I've always used the plain white sugar. I usually put the sugar in then the infuser then pour boiling water over it and steep.  I keep trying to make iced tea in those glass tea makers you get from the store, but have yet to figure out how many bags and do I sugar when making or drinking.  ::) ??? My last container broke and the new one leaks. Maybe I wasn't meant to drink iced tea LOL.

theresam
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:32:23 pm by bkworm8it »
    So many good books, so little time!

Offline RavenclawPrefect

• A very small step away from insanity...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 08:16:49 pm »
    I am not a huge tea drinker, before getting on this board, Bengal Spice was about as adventurous as I would get in tea.

I visited Teavana last week and now have samurai chai mate/white avurvedic chai mix and Rooibos sweet amore.   I usually alternate between the two of them but have to admit, I like the samurai mix better.  I don't know if I am making the Rooibos wrong or what.    1.5 teaspoons for 5-6 min gave me flavored water.  I added more tea the next time and it was too strong.  I have settled into just under 2 teaspoons and it is much better.  The Samurai mix is just a light but spicy tea that I really like.  I like it when it goes cold in my cup too.

Husband drinks cinnamon or Bengal Spice tea in the winter and iced tea (Lipton..brewed) pretty much year round.
    Save a life - donate blood!

Offline MonaSW

• Hayward, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:07 pm »
    I adore Spice Traders and Teas - their website is a little primitive, but their tea rocks. I've had several of their teas including Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast, Pirate Chai, Raspberry and Winter Storm. http://www.spicetradersteas.com/

I use this: It's great for tea for one if you like a couple of cups, or tea for two if you like one cup each.
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:58:06 pm by MonaSW »

Offline Solarraven

• La Mirada Ca. (Los Angeles & Orange County area)
      • View Profile
      • Solarravens' adventures
    « Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 08:20:17 pm »
    I'm new to the tea thread and I like many different teas I have black, green,silver and a load of herbals on hand some display teas
    but one of the highlights of my Tea life was when we lived in San Bruno Ca ( near San Francisco ) in a house built in 1907  that was fenced on the sides with a multitude of Camellias . The neighbor "Queen" across the street who was around 90 plus and had been born in the house she lived in told me that when she was a little girl, Mr. Chang  ( I think he was the cook) used to make tea from the bushes which he had planted .
    So I gave it a shot and managed to come up with a pretty passable oolong.   We moved about eleven years ago and alas  the new residents have removed all the plants since then.

Offline MonaSW

• Hayward, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 08:23:17 pm »
    We moved about eleven years ago and alas  the new residents have removed all the plants since then.

What a crime, that's one of the things I dislike when someone moves into a house with lovely established plants like that.

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 08:37:53 pm »
    oooh ...what's that?

It's a hot water dispenser. It has 4 temps it can be set to maintain.

Offline Sweety18

• View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 08:47:58 pm »
    What type? Do share with the group.

I don't know, I'll have to check.  It comes in tea-bags, nothing fancy.  Also forgot to mention, I also drink green tea once in a while, very good for the digestive system.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:04:55 pm by Harvey »

Offline frojazz

• Southaven, MS
    • He's my Huckleberry!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 09:03:36 pm »
    Has anyone tried their rock sugar?  http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/Rock-Sugar-Honey/German-Rock-Cane-Sugar-1-lb.axd  I've often wondered if there's any real advantage to using that over the plain white stuff, especially when brewing iced tea.

I bought some of Teavana's rock sugar the last time I ordered tea.  It is good; I don't like the 'edge' white sugar gives to my tea so I don't use it.  I do like the rock sugar, and I've found that I've been able to cut back on the amount of sugar I use with the rock sugar.  It adds a very slight honey flavor, and I would say that it tastes mellow, with a richness like brown sugar.  Not molasses-y, but it is to honey what brown sugar is to white, if that makes sense.

FYI: I added rock sugar to my iced tea, and I noticed that it left small brown floaties in the tea.  I like my iced tea to be perfectly clear, so the next time I make it, I'll strain it after I've sweetened it.
    Anybody want a peanut?

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 10:37:12 pm »
    Thanks Prof - Teavana is in Mexico City and Acapulco, a little ways from us but I'll check out the possibility of ordering from them.

The things you learn on kboards.com  ;)

Dona, I would be more than happy to send you some teas.  :)

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: May 28, 2009, 06:09:57 am »
    I would love to plant tea plants. I am going to have to look into that. Prof Crash's homemade tea. How cool would that be?

For the bag tea drinkers, I hope that you are inspired to try something new. Loose leaf is not that difficult to make and I think you will be surprised at how much a difference that it makes. If not loose leaf, there are some really good bagged teas out there, like Republic of Tea, with a decent variety that I think people would enjoy.

The most depressing tea moment of my life came when travelling in Egypt. The Egyptians have a great tea culture that I was excited to experience. Every where we went, they served Lipton. It was so depressing. Good thing I brought along my own stash of teas and tea filters so I could make my own tea. (sigh)

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 07:31:28 am »
    I"m trying to figure out what my tea flavor of the day will be

KBoards.com

• Advertisement