Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 431970 times)  

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2009, 07:44:43 am »
I have already had a pot of Rooibos Jungle Fire and am now having a pot of Darjeeling Lingia (one of the award contending teas from Gschwender).

I am back to 25 loose leaf teas at the office so my process starts with "Red, Black, Oolong, or Green." If black "Black or Darjeeling" Then it comes down to eeny meeny miney mo.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: May 28, 2009, 07:50:53 am »
    I have to try oolong again but somebody here said oolongs tasted like feet...then I had a cup and could only think about feet and couldn't finish it.  I need to get over this!

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: May 28, 2009, 07:57:36 am »
    Yes you do. I have never had an Oolong that tastes like feet. I have three Oolongs that are on my must reorder list. They are all very yummy and do not taste like feet. One tastes like vanilla, so maybe it tastes like the foot of someone who washes with a vanilla scented soap?

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: May 28, 2009, 08:59:49 am »
    And now I am drinking a pot of Arabian Nights. A nice green/black blend with sunflower, jasmine, and rose blossoms.

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: May 28, 2009, 09:32:44 am »
    mmmm Oolong......

Arabian Nights sounds good.
    So many good books, so little time!

Offline Debra Purdy Kong

• Canada
    • BC Mystery Author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: May 28, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »
    I'm happy to have found this thread because I'm a tea drinker from way back. About three weeks ago, I was given a cup of lavender/peppermint tea at a spa. I didn't think I'd like it because the combination sounded strange, but it was absolutely delicious. Very soothing. The spa makes their own blends, so I'm not sure it's available elsewhere, but if you do find it, give this blend a try.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: May 28, 2009, 01:40:18 pm »
    I'm happy to have found this thread because I'm a tea drinker from way back. About three weeks ago, I was given a cup of lavender/peppermint tea at a spa. I didn't think I'd like it because the combination sounded strange, but it was absolutely delicious. Very soothing. The spa makes their own blends, so I'm not sure it's available elsewhere, but if you do find it, give this blend a try.

Sounds delicious!  Good spa's always have good teas! 

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: May 28, 2009, 01:43:58 pm »

Sounds good. You could try to buy a lavender and peppermint tea and do some experimentation. Or ask them how they blend it. I am sure they wouldn't mind sharing it with a customer.

What other teas do yu drink? Where do you shop? What accessories do you have? Do share.

Offline SongbirdVB

• Crystal, Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Songbird's Nest
    « Reply #58 on: May 28, 2009, 02:31:20 pm »
    YAY!  Hi gang.  Happy to have found the thread, I was thinking the other (coffee/tea) thread had gotten slow lately.  Thanks for letting me know there's a new thread, Crash!

I have just ordered my THIRD Zarafina and I'm blaming Crash AND Cowgirl.  I love the one I got for my office so I am taking the one I got for my DD for Christmas and using it at home.  This third one will be the Christmas gift.  She'll love it.

Someone else mentioned (Cowgirl?) that the tea cools much faster and I did notice that.  Wonder why that is?  Does the machine wait until it's cool enough to drink before it dispenses?  

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:39:15 pm by Harvey »
    Those that cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they must pass themselves; for every person has need of being forgiven.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: May 28, 2009, 02:36:05 pm »
    Songbird...I actually don't like hot tea or anything else too hot for that matter....so I always let it cool anyway.  I am usually brewing on white or herbal and the tea doesn't and isn't supposed to get too hot.  If you are brewing on the black tea setting I assume the tea would be hotter.   Does that make sense?   

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: May 28, 2009, 03:52:18 pm »
    My tea stays nice and hot. I drink the 16 ounces all at once though. I do think that it dispenses it closer to drinking temperature then when you make your with boiling water.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:06:18 pm by Harvey »

Offline MonaSW

• Hayward, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: May 28, 2009, 06:14:25 pm »
    I haven't noticed that the tea from my Zarafina cools fast. But if the pot is cold, that might make a difference. You could always warm the pot before the tea dispenses.

If you drink bagged tea and want to try loose tea, try using tea filter bags. I use them a lot.

Offline Debra Purdy Kong

• Canada
    • BC Mystery Author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: May 28, 2009, 07:47:15 pm »
    Sounds good. You could try to buy a lavender and peppermint tea and do some experimentation. Or ask them how they blend it. I am sure they wouldn't mind sharing it with a customer.

What other teas do yu drink? Where do you shop? What accessories do you have? Do share.

Well, I'm a big green tea drinker and there are a lot of different types I've been trying but I haven't found a perfect one yet. There's a Chinese restaurant we go to that offers a lovely green tea that has a distinct smoky flavor. I don't know what it's called, but it's terrific.

Also, when I was at a writers' conference in Anchorage in Sept. 07, I wandered into a cute shop that sold all sorts of things and offered free cups of tea using their own blends. This blend had some orange and cinnamon in it, plus a few other spices and it was absolute heaven. I bought a bag to take home and it lasted about four months. It reminded me of the spices you find in those mixes for hot cider at Christmas time. There's a new tea shop in my area, so I'll see if I can find something similar.

And as for the lovely lavender/peppermint tea, well the spa sells their blends so I'm saving my money for my next trip!

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: May 28, 2009, 09:00:01 pm »

This seems like a good place to ask about identifying a particular tea.  Years ago, before I became a tea drinker, there was a tea shop that sold a black tea with blueish blossoms in it.  A friend always wanted it shipped as a special treat.  Supposedly it was the Best Tea Ever.  Now that I've come to appreciate tea, I've been wondering about that tea  --  but the store is no longer there (and was overseas anyway), and the friend is also not longer there, and I have no idea what the stuff was called.  (Maybe I never knew; I just nodded toward that particular bin and asked for a pound or so.)  Do blue blossoms sound familiar to anyone?  It was their best-selling tea, and also one of the most expensive ones they sold, if that helps.  And I think the leaves were relatively large.
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: May 28, 2009, 09:12:47 pm »
    I'm just a plain Lipton Tea girl    I use a Mr Coffee with 5 tea bags and 10 cups of water, and I'm good till lunch.  (When I do drink coffee it's Dunkin Donuts)

Tessa

When I make iced tea I use a Mr. Tea and Luzianne tea one caffeine-free family size and one caffeine family size in the hopper.

I've not been drinking much hot tea since I had to move out of my house to have some renovations done. Yet another reason for getting back in soon!

Mike

Offline MonaSW

• Hayward, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: May 28, 2009, 09:34:40 pm »
    This third one will be the Christmas gift.  She'll love it.

Harvey, you crack me up! ;)

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: May 28, 2009, 09:38:40 pm »
    mmmnnnnn Luzianne the Southern classic iced tea

Offline SongbirdVB

• Crystal, Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Songbird's Nest
    « Reply #67 on: May 29, 2009, 05:04:24 am »
    Songbird...I actually don't like hot tea or anything else too hot for that matter....so I always let it cool anyway.  I am usually brewing on white or herbal and the tea doesn't and isn't supposed to get too hot.  If you are brewing on the black tea setting I assume the tea would be hotter.   Does that make sense?   

It does make sense.  I also prefer it to have cooled a bit before I drink it, so this is not a negative in my book.  The teas I've been drinking for the last few days are Rooibos, so I've been using the Herbal setting.

My tea stays nice and hot. I drink the 16 ounces all at once though. I do think that it dispenses it closer to drinking temperature then when you make your with boiling water.

See, that's what I think too.  That it's closer to drinking temp because it keeps the water at perfect brewing temp. 

It also could be because I get distracted (LOOK!  A butterfly!) and it may sit there longer because I don't have my timer going off saying "HEY YOU, the TEA is done!"

LOL on whoever added the three tea maker pictures to my thread!  Just call me Songbird-Three-Teas (a shout out to Monty Python fans).
    Those that cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they must pass themselves; for every person has need of being forgiven.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: May 29, 2009, 06:01:18 am »
    This seems like a good place to ask about identifying a particular tea.  Years ago, before I became a tea drinker, there was a tea shop that sold a black tea with blueish blossoms in it.  A friend always wanted it shipped as a special treat.  Supposedly it was the Best Tea Ever.  Now that I've come to appreciate tea, I've been wondering about that tea  --  but the store is no longer there (and was overseas anyway), and the friend is also not longer there, and I have no idea what the stuff was called.  (Maybe I never knew; I just nodded toward that particular bin and asked for a pound or so.)  Do blue blossoms sound familiar to anyone?  It was their best-selling tea, and also one of the most expensive ones they sold, if that helps.  And I think the leaves were relatively large.

My guess is that the flower is blue mallow. Many of the teas that I drink include blue mallow. I don't have any tea that has only blue mallow. If the leaves were large and it was expensive my guess would be that it was a first pick tea. The initial production of the tea plant in season is suppose to be the best. The leaves are carefully hand picked to prevent bruising so they are pretty expensive. I don't know of too many pure black teas that are first picks, those are normally Darjeelings, Assams, or Oolongs. This is based on my experience tea shopping only.

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: May 29, 2009, 06:05:05 am »

Thanks!  I'll look for an Assam that contains blue mallow...  I'm curious why people thought it was so special.
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: May 29, 2009, 06:10:21 am »
    http://www.teamerchants.com/Catalog/SearchResultsView.aspx?SearchTerm=blue+mallow

These are the results at Gschwender when I did a search for blue mallow.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: May 29, 2009, 06:16:09 am »
    http://www.teamerchants.com/Catalog/SearchResultsView.aspx?SearchTerm=blue+mallow

These are the results at Gschwender when I did a search for blue mallow.
    You are like our very own Tea Sommelier

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: May 29, 2009, 06:18:41 am »
    You beat me to it.  I'm still in the middle of my first morning cup, not awake enough to search yet <insert smiley with zzz's over it>

The only one of those that looks halfway right (with black tea!) is the blueberry yoghurt one, but the flavor description is completely different....  it was described to me as something that tastes like a tropical vacation.  Whatever that means.  To me yoghurt and blueberries don't suggest the tropics.  Anyway, there's a lot of other stuff in there as well, in the picture.  The one I recall had black tea and these blue blossoms, nothing else.  Definitely not a herbal.  I'll keep looking once I'm a bit more awake...  thanks for getting me started on the search!  If I find one I'll post about it.
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: May 29, 2009, 06:20:37 am »
    None of them sound like what you are describing. Sorry. It could have been a store specific blend. I took a stroll through the Edmond's tea at Gschwender, they are the high end premium teas, and didn't find any with blue mallow.

Did the blue flower in it look like what you remember? It could be that I have misidentified the blue flower.

Offline Solarraven

• La Mirada Ca. (Los Angeles & Orange County area)
      • View Profile
      • Solarravens' adventures
    « Reply #74 on: May 29, 2009, 12:29:24 pm »
    this discussion lead me to take a look and my tea stash  my fallback is Constant Comment, I have some Earl Grey but it is a bit too strongly bergamont flavored for my taste . Just starting on my second tin of Adagio brand Forest Berries black tea finished the Leo sample that came with it . Then I have Rishi silver needle and Jasmine pearls I have a couple of single serve Numi Display tea cones and a stack of different Tea posy display teas in different flavors  the Calendula jasmine was quite good the carnation was spicy. I just got some matcha  because I want to make green tea ice cream
    The Herbal teas I have on hand are Roo Boos , wildberry zinger , Celestial Seasons sleepy time, I also still have some powdered chai  not so fond of it. I also use some herbs and flowers  in my garden  for teas particularly the hibiscus and lemon balm, Rose petals, strawberry leaves , sage and marjoram( for sore throats)as well and mint and lemon I have a tea tree and have used some of that in medicinal teas
    when we lived in San Bruno I would get a Lindon tea  at the Mexican deli  but have not found that here. I have Jasmine and lavendar and mandarin trees to flavor tea from those

KBoards.com

• Advertisement