Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 431859 times)  

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #6825 on: August 20, 2018, 04:08:58 pm »
I have never made cold brew tea before. Coffee yes, on the counter.

Tea steeping outside in the sunshine? That wouldn't be cold brew around here in south texas. That would be making hot tea  ;D

I been in a bad mood the last couple of days. Still grumbling about an "incident". So I been going to my dependable favorites to get my mood up and my inner grumbles down to a acceptable level. Hmpf. I been going from milk oolong to favorite blacks to my diplomats tea. That one made me chuckle while drinking as I didn't feel quiet yet diplomatic yet.  8).

I get on the different tea binges too sometimes. For a while it was all green, mostly japanese. Until the grass came out of my ears  :P. I always revert back to blacks though. Unflavored blacks are my first love, although have a few flavored stand by's. For some reason all my herbal flavored stuff is growing stale. I just got worn out on them. Just not hitting that spot for me. That ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh spot. I guess I need the tannins or caffeine. Or something.

And especially when I read some historical, I pull out my darjeelings and my keemuns. Wasn't it keemun that was mostly drank back when across the pond? I think I read that somewhere. No matter, I just feel more in the time when the characters sip some tea and I am right there with them.  :D

Bet I can guess what the "incident" is!  ;)

What is your Diplomat tea and where do you get it?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6826 on: August 20, 2018, 04:15:03 pm »
    Bet I can guess what the "incident" is!  ;)

What is your Diplomat tea and where do you get it?
    Shall be hereforth be know as the "incident".  >:(

Diplomats tea is from TeaGschwendner. Its a mix of some fine oolong and fine darjeeling. Its not cheap, I like to get it when they have a sale. last time they had a black tea sale I got a batch. They file this under black tea on their site. It is so very well balanced and I do steep that at least twice. Have done 3 times, but I like the 2 steeps most.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:52:19 am by Atunah »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6827 on: August 25, 2018, 09:52:33 am »
    I am having a pot of Diplomats tea right now. I love how the leaves fill up the whole pot while steeping. I let them free, no filter.  ;D. Its a 1.5 liter pot, about 50 ounces or 6 times 8 ounce american sized cups of tea. I use 18 grams of tea for that.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6828 on: August 25, 2018, 10:03:49 am »
    Those are huge leaves!  After you brew, you filter and pour into a thermos to stay hot without continuing to brew?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6829 on: August 25, 2018, 10:58:03 am »
    Yes. I use this strainer

I put it over the thermos first to fill it up. My thermos holds about 5 of the 8 ounce cups and then I move the strainer to a cup and get the rest. So nothing oversteeps. And if I want to steep again, I just pour water back in, like I will do with the diplomat. After I wait until the leaves cool down a bit and just turn the put upside down over the trash. I get most of it out that way. I can also stick my hand in it if needed. A few leftover leaves go in the sink grinder. But I get most out that way.

Its been my favorite way to make tea now. With the strainer I don't need a filter so the leaves can spread as much as they need or want. And no oversteeping by pouring it all into a thermos.

Here is a pic with how I make a pot now. See the strainer of my glass mug.

Often we still have hot tea the next day. That thermos is the best. its old now and and all scruffed up. I don't think they make those anymore. Its thermos brand but made in Canada. Pretty sure they all made in china now.
    I have to often make 2 pots a day as my husband caught on to having nice tea at the ready.  ;D. When he makes his own in the miracle tea maker thingie, its not uncommon for it to steep like 20-30 minutes or more. Or even overnight. He doesn't care, I go ewwwwwwwwwwwww :-X :-X :-X. But he sure likes my properly made pot. And I keep having to yell at him as he keeps forgetting to screw the top back on closed. He gets is cup in the morning and by the time I get to its cold because he didn't close it properly.  >:(. All he has to do is turn it one half turn. That is it.
    « Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:16:12 am by Atunah »

Vijaya

« Reply #6830 on: August 25, 2018, 11:18:07 am »
    Pretty Atunah!

So, just FYI, reusing tea leaves is fine for the flavor but not if you want a little caffeine. Most of it is extracted the first time.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6831 on: August 26, 2018, 05:42:42 pm »
    Since I have been playing with the digital scale and using 2.5 gms/cup (in a pot) as a starting point, I have discovered I have consistently underestimated the amount of tea leaves I have been using.  I would have told you I prefer "strong" tea, but apparently I really don't.  I prefer less tea leaves per cup in almost every tea I have tried!

I hear Michelle just placed a Harney & Sons tea order, but she didn't get a chance to tell me what she ordered.  What yummy teas are you waiting for?

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6832 on: August 26, 2018, 07:27:59 pm »
    LOL  I had just finished typing it all out when I got booted. I hate it when that happens.

I ordered a tin of Victorian London Fog and Rose Black, and some samples.. Birthday Tea, Dragon Pearls and some fruity ones that I can't think of right now.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6833 on: August 27, 2018, 12:19:16 pm »
    Since I have been playing with the digital scale and using 2.5 gms/cup (in a pot) as a starting point, I have discovered I have consistently underestimated the amount of tea leaves I have been using.  I would have told you I prefer "strong" tea, but apparently I really don't.  I prefer less tea leaves per cup in almost every tea I have tried!

I hear Michelle just placed a Harney & Sons tea order, but she didn't get a chance to tell me what she ordered.  What yummy teas are you waiting for?

See? Scales are awesome. For everything really. When I was still eating normal pasta I started weighing by serving size. Oh boy was that a sad looking wee pile in the bowl after. I probably ate like double that before. Oops.

That is great though if you actually like less leafs, means you get more out of each bag.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6834 on: August 31, 2018, 03:05:05 am »
    See? Scales are awesome. For everything really. When I was still eating normal pasta I started weighing by serving size. Oh boy was that a sad looking wee pile in the bowl after. I probably ate like double that before. Oops.

That is great though if you actually like less leafs, means you get more out of each bag.

More cups per bag is definitely a plus!  I am still measuring now, I do get a more consistent flavor in a large pot.  I seem to be happy at 2 gms per 8 oz cup, plus one 'for the pot', so 14 gms in a 48 oz pot instead of your preferred 18 gms - not a huge difference, but it works for me.

I'm heading to the big city this weekend, so I will make the obligatory stop at GongFu to restock the tried and true favorites: milk oolong, Nandi Hills, Red Plum, Irish Breakfast, and Cream Assam.  Obviously I also gravitate towards plain black teas for every day with the exception being the milk oolong.

Oh, I also reordered Sticky Rice puerh tuochas from Stash.  The GF Sticky Rice is good, but I do like Stash better.  I think the difference is getting the "cooked" Sticky Rice from Stash (shou) and the GF is "uncooked" (sheng).  The cooked just has a deeper, richer flavor, IMO.  I think of Michelle every time I order now because she found it for me - thanks again, Michelle!

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6835 on: August 31, 2018, 05:21:16 pm »
    I'm glad you've been happy with the sticky rice. Stash has some other tea blends I'd like to try, I just haven't got around to it yet.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6836 on: September 02, 2018, 06:26:47 am »
    I finally got the chance to place another order with What-Cha. I've been wanting to buy some of the sticky rice oolong since I got a free sample of it with my first order, it was so yummy.

So I ended up ordering..

50g Kenya Hand Rolled Purple Oolong
    50g Kenya Silver Needle Purple White
    50g Mystery Oolong
    100g Taiwan Jin Xuan Jasmine Oolong
    100g Thailand Jin Xuan Sticky Rice Oolong

Can't wait to try that jasmine oolong.. and see what Alistair chooses for my mystery oolong. Last time he chose Nepal Rolled Oolong and it is lovely.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6837 on: September 05, 2018, 05:22:02 am »
    Vahdam is opening a US online store. I've heard a lot about their teas and been wanting to try them but haven't yet.

https://www.vahdam.com?kid=R6HMD

I want to try some first flush darjeeling.

In other tea news.. I've been drinking a lot of jasmine tea lately. I finished my Yin Hao Jasmine sample from Harney and have used almost all of my Dragon Pearl Jasmine from Harney. I still have my pearls from Gongfu (they are my favorites!) and I seem to have finally got a taste for mint tea, at least cold brewed.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6838 on: September 05, 2018, 09:00:54 am »
    Jasmine is such a relaxing tea for me. I like it in evenings. I have the GongFu one, it is really really nice. Or I should say I had it, as I am almost out now.  8)

Still liking the Stash sticky rice. I ordered 4 bags on my first order, so I had a nice stash from Stash.  :P

For daily pots I make my basics like ceylons, keemun and lower end darjeeling. Since my husband gulps those down too. Then I make cup portions at other times throughout.

Right now I am having some milk oolong. Just felt like it.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6839 on: September 05, 2018, 09:24:43 am »
    I did deviate from my jasmine binge yesterday for a cup of Gingerbread Chai from Tea Chai Te. That is such a fabulously yummy tea, especially with a little splash of vanilla syrup.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6840 on: September 05, 2018, 10:25:00 am »
    I've now made a nice mug of marzipan tea and having a half a ketobar with it. Its just a low carb, higher fat, some protein bar. I cut them in half and so turn them into like a guilt free brownie/cookie thingie.

And I love using my cup with saucer that has a compartment just for such goodies.  ;D. Its from TeaGschwendner in case someone is wondering.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6841 on: September 05, 2018, 01:22:11 pm »
    I've now made a nice mug of marzipan tea and having a half a ketobar with it. Its just a low carb, higher fat, some protein bar. I cut them in half and so turn them into like a guilt free brownie/cookie thingie.

And I love using my cup with saucer that has a compartment just for such goodies.  ;D. Its from TeaGschwendner in case someone is wondering.

Just STOP telling about teas I've not heard of without telling us where to check them out!  Marzipan tea sounds wonderful.  :-*

Vijaya

« Reply #6842 on: September 05, 2018, 01:33:48 pm »
    That saucer with a snack compartment is so cute.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6843 on: September 05, 2018, 01:44:32 pm »
    Pretty sure I been talking about marzipan tea for years.  :P

Its one of my staples at TeaGschwendner. That and the mango tea are about the only flavored teas I buy regularly.  (Took me 5 tries go get that word right, regularly. Spelled it so bad even spellcheck couldn't find it  8) )

Its not like almond tea, which they also sell. They managed to make it smell and also taste mostly just like marzipan. I love marizpan, always have. Used to be my fun hunting at the end of the year to find a store that would carry german marzipan. Wasn't always successful though. Now with low carb, I'll probably have to skip it.  :(

But yeah, its a great afternoon tea, or in winter. I drink it year round when I want a treat. I like that its not overly flavored, which I don't like. TG is good with that though. Well besides some of theyr earl grey which are WTF strong flavored.  :-X

Now I wonder about using the marzipan tea to make a kind of grog with. I bet it would be good to put some rum in there. I could use some right now. I been scanning,  printing and sifting through dusty file cabinets for days. All for getting all the papers together for my citizenship application. Holy moly I do not recommend immigrating to the US for the faint of heart. I thought German bureaucracy was bad. That also explains why there are so many immigration lawyers making lots of dough. Too early for schnapps? Don't even have any.  :(

But now I want to try the marzipan grog tea one of these days. Maybe when we drop below the 90's though.

We had some severe rains in the last few days. My apartment started leaking in places it hasn't leaked before it was so bad. The parking lot was totally under water so now it looks like a brown mud lake. And we still have a now dwindling pond on the backside under the trees. And hubby left his window cracked on the car and didn't notice until it was already soaked in.  :-\.
    And squirrels look really funny after a big rain. So fluffy and grumpy.  ;D

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6844 on: September 05, 2018, 05:06:09 pm »
    I've been wanting to order from there for ages. I want to try the Bossa Nova and Windy City Oolongs and Winter Magic?, now of course I'll have to add Marzipan to the wishlist.

I decided to start my Sipsby subscription again. I had to put it on hold for a few months, then cancelled it for a few months, but I have missed it.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6845 on: September 05, 2018, 05:19:11 pm »
    I've been wanting to order from there for ages. I want to try the Bossa Nova and Windy City Oolongs and Winter Magic?, now of course I'll have to add Marzipan to the wishlist.

I decided to start my Sipsby subscription again. I had to put it on hold for a few months, then cancelled it for a few months, but I have missed it.
    I have tried quite a few of their flavored teas over the years. TG that is. The thing I always loved about them is that they don't taste artificial. They do extensive testings on their teas and only use specific ingredients. Thats the stuff one finds out on their german main site, which of course I can read and watch the videos. I kind of settled on the marzipan and the mango as my go to as I overall prefer non flavored teas and I kind of got in over my head over the years. Bossa Nova is one I also get here and there. I just got that in my last order. Its very pleasant and not overdone. They also always have some nice seasonal stuff going on. I think they they used to have more selection flavored. Some of the ones I tried don't exist anymore. They have way more on their german site. I guess that makes sense as they have to import the tea from Germany. I am intrigued by the salted caramel. That is one I just saw and haven't tried. Must be a newer one.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6846 on: September 06, 2018, 04:58:51 am »
    I'm glad they don't taste artificial. I worried about that, it is one of the reasons I keep putting off ordering something.

I'm having some Adagio Honeybush Vanilla this morning.

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #6847 on: September 07, 2018, 03:30:12 pm »
     I drink Tea most of the time and like all kind of flavors. I do use cream and sugar....

Offline CatherineM

• Don't judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6848 on: September 14, 2018, 10:01:23 am »
    Happy Friday to everyone!  :)

My ceramic kettle that I've used for years finally bit the dust. It had a stress crack and couldn't hold it together anymore. I am sort of old school and use Hall teapots with infusers for my loose tea. Can anyone recommend a ceramic kettle that I could buy online? We live in the country and there's not many other choices here. I have a steel one as a backup, but I would prefer ceramic. I'm having a heck of a time finding one.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6849 on: September 14, 2018, 12:00:08 pm »
    Happy Friday to everyone!  :)

My ceramic kettle that I've used for years finally bit the dust. It had a stress crack and couldn't hold it together anymore. I am sort of old school and use Hall teapots with infusers for my loose tea. Can anyone recommend a ceramic kettle that I could buy online? We live in the country and there's not many other choices here. I have a steel one as a backup, but I would prefer ceramic. I'm having a heck of a time finding one.

The choices on Amazon are almost endless!  I'm a fan of the FORLIFE pots because they come with extra large basket infusers that allow even large quantities of loose leaves to swim, and the infusers fit in every other teapot I have as well (large and small).  Here is an example in the 45 oz size (LOTS of color options).  I have a 24 oz version in yellow that I linked to a few pages back in this thread.

You can spend hours browsing large and small teapots, solids and designs, expensive to inexpensive if you just search ceramic or pottery teapots. Let us know what you get!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement