Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 431776 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #6850 on: September 14, 2018, 12:17:19 pm »
You looking for ceramic teapots? Or ceramic water kettles. Electric ones?

I see a couple on amazon.

There are a couple of others that come up in a search. If you looking for teapots, ignore my post and see crebels upstairs.  :P

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6851 on: September 14, 2018, 12:57:23 pm »
    I agree about the Forlife products, they are well made. I have an infuser mug and the small Stump pot with infuser. I'd like to get a Curve one at some point too. I also like the looks of the pots at Adagio, but they haven't had the red one in stock for ages.

My What-Cha order arrived today. For my  mystery oolong Alistair chose Taiwan Red Oolong for me. He also included a sample of Vietnam Gui Fei Oolong. I look forward to trying them.

I'm tempted to have some tea with my dinner (butter chicken, basmati and naan) later.

Offline CatherineM

• Don't judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6852 on: September 14, 2018, 01:29:12 pm »
    Thank you, everybody, for your replies.

I have like eight old Hall teapots that I use and I love them. It's not a tea 'pot' that I want. It is a 'kettle' that I can't really find. That thing you put on the stove to make your water.

I have looked at everything and I think I have it narrowed down to one.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6853 on: September 14, 2018, 01:31:22 pm »
    Ah, stove one. Haven't researched those. Never an option for me with my old unreliable stove. You found one? Can you show it off with a link?  ;D

I had to look up "Hall", never heard of them. Some nice pots out there. I need to stop looking at tea pots. I really do NOT need another one.  :-\

Offline CatherineM

• View Profile
    « Reply #6854 on: September 14, 2018, 01:45:57 pm »
    Ah, stove one. Haven't researched those. Never an option for me with my old unreliable stove. You found one? Can you show it off with a link?  ;D

I had to look up "Hall", never heard of them. Some nice pots out there. I need to stop looking at tea pots. I really do NOT need another one.  :-\

Haha. Hall teapots rock! I love, love them. I will try to post a pic of what happened to my old kettle that I used for a hundred years. They don't make it anymore.

They still make the black one, though. I looked at the Amazon reviews and I was like, hmmmm.
    I called them on the phone and they picked up! A PERSON answered the phone. I am not kidding you.
    She said that they had a problem with the pots a while back when I asked her about the sparking issue that reviewers spoke about. She said that they were not available for several months while they fixed the issue.

Again. Hmmm.

It doesn't seem like I can post a pic here, but a piece of it just fell out, like a puzzle piece. I'm glad I had it over the sink, lol.

It's on IG.

I know how I am and I know I'm gonna order it eventually. ::)

Offline CatherineM

• View Profile

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6856 on: September 14, 2018, 02:26:03 pm »
    Oops, you did say your kettle was broken, not your Hall teapot! Sorry my reading comprehension was poor, I blame it on the pain meds following dental surgery ...

Before following your link, I've not seen a ceramic stovetop kettle before; just the run-of-the-mill enamel on stainless type of the whistling variety or cast iron tetsubins (sigh, another tea term spellcheck hates).  I've used electric stainless steel for years now strictly because of the adjustable temperature settings for various types of tea.  I'm glad you've found a source for what you want.

I'm drooling over some of the antique (and pricey!) Hall teapots I see online.  I do not need another teapot, I do not need another teapot, I do not need another teapot!

Offline CatherineM

• View Profile
    « Reply #6857 on: September 14, 2018, 02:33:05 pm »
    Oops, you did say your kettle was broken, not your Hall teapot! Sorry my reading comprehension was poor, I blame it on the pain meds following dental surgery ...

Before following your link, I've not seen a ceramic stovetop kettle before; just the run-of-the-mill enamel on stainless type of the whistling variety or cast iron tetsubins (sigh, another tea term spellcheck hates).  I've used electric stainless steel for years now strictly because of the adjustable temperature settings for various types of tea.  I'm glad you've found a source for what you want.

I'm drooling over some of the antique (and pricey!) Hall teapots I see online.  I do not need another teapot, I do not need another teapot, I do not need another teapot!

I don't even remember how I learned about them. Probably in some antique shop. That's the only thing I ever use to make tea.

Offline CatherineM

• View Profile
    « Reply #6858 on: September 14, 2018, 02:34:52 pm »
    Sorry, let me try that again. Sheesh.

"I don't even remember how I learned about them. Probably in some antique shop. That's the only thing I ever use to make tea."

Sorry.  8)

Offline dgrant

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6859 on: September 14, 2018, 09:43:30 pm »
    A couple pages back, someone asked about grinding your own chai. I'm seriously considering it... after running out of cardamom tea, I found I still have a glass jar with about half a pound of green cardamom pods from a trip to the Indian grocery store about two years ago. When I pound a pod a couple times in the mortar and pestle and dump it in with the loose leaf, it's so much better than the cardamom tea I ordered before!

So now I'm starting to think, what else goes into a chai? I could do this... and if it works well, I'd probably do a batch in the spice grinder and just use that instead of mashing things each time. Though there's something nice about taking a break from trying to get words out and pounding some stone together a few times, with a poor cardamom pod being reduced to fragments and dust. Stress relieving, that.

Vijaya

« Reply #6860 on: September 15, 2018, 07:54:39 am »
    Haven't visited this thread in a while.

dgnat--we make our own masala (spice mix) for tea and curries. We have cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks, peppercorns. I don't crush them and it's still very flavorful, better than anything you can buy. And it's nice to get a soft pod to chew on after.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6861 on: September 15, 2018, 09:47:29 am »
    I love peppercorns in my chai spice.  Star anise can be a nice addition as well.

Offline joeveebe

• View Profile
    « Reply #6862 on: September 15, 2018, 03:18:12 pm »
    I usually use just ginger and cardamom in my masala chai when I am in a hurry. 

Here is a recipe for masala chai (spice tea) when I feel really crave for full blown masala tea,

inch 1 inch fresh peeled ginger grated or crushed
    4-6 cardamom crushed
    1 inch long cinnamon stick or   tsp cinnamon powder
    2-4 cloves (optional)
    tsp pepper powder or about 4 peppercorns
    teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
    2-4 tsp brown sugar (optional)
    cup 2% milk
    3 cups of water
    2-4 tsp black tea or 2-3 tea bags

Method
    1. Grind or crush cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds and pepper in a spice grinder or mortar. 
    2. In a pan, add the ground mix and ginger and pour 3 cups of water. Mix it well and bring it to a boil.
    3. Reduce heat and let it simmer for a minute or two.
    4. Now add the tea, mix, and let it boil for one minute on low heat.
    5. Add milk and sugar and mix well. Strain out all the ingredients and enjoy.

There are many other tea recipes listed in my book All Natural Wellness Drinks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07777NGGY
    Message me if anyone wants a free ebook ( pdf copy )

Joseph

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6863 on: September 16, 2018, 05:15:36 am »
    The Jin Xuan Jasmine Oolong from What-Cha is sooooo good! I still love my jasmine pearls, but this may be my holy grail jasmine tea.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6864 on: September 21, 2018, 05:01:47 am »
    I placed a small order with Vahdam after the US site opened, I could have ordered from Amazon too, but didn't want double of everything without knowing if I liked it or not. I ordered the Blooming Rose and Cardamom Chai. Blooming Rose is lovely, I had a cup of that yesterday and then took the used leaves, added a bit more to them and cold brewed overnight. The cold brew was great too. The Caradamom Chai is sooo good, I'm having it now. Very nicely spiced. 

I love the way they are packaged. Both came in a box, inside the box was a vacuum sealed bag of the tea, with an empty resealable pouch and label to transfer it too after opening. And a sheet of brewing instructions.

Both teas were super fresh and very fragrant. I'm quite pleased with what I chose. I want to try some more of their chai, maybe the Double Spice and Sweet Cinnamon, and there is a vanilla one too. Eventually I'll try a Darjeeling.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6865 on: September 21, 2018, 07:32:13 am »
    Cardamom chai, now that sounds really good. Chai can be tricky if there is too much of certain spices in that takes over. I like Cardamom. I'll have to check them out.

Ohhhh, I am impressed with their site. Simple and informative. And holy moly I love the selection of the Chai tea. There are 3 I like to try. The cardamom, the assam chai with whole leafs and the saffron one. I love Chai teas like that when the weather changes in the evening.
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:42:51 am by Atunah »

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6866 on: September 21, 2018, 12:27:06 pm »
    It is a nice site. The Saffron Chai is another I want to try.

They do samplers too, I think they were around $14.95 for the sampler pack. I wasn't sure I wanted to try that many of the chais so I didn't get the sampler. I may in the future.

The shipping for my order was reasonable, $5, and they shipped the next day.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6867 on: September 21, 2018, 05:28:58 pm »
    I saw the samplers, but they seem a bit high for what you get. I have a couple others I want to try. I signed up for their newsletter and it says you get a 20% off first order, but I haven't gotten any email yet at all. They have free shipping at $35 which is pretty great too.

I'll wait another day to see if I get that email with the coupon.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6868 on: September 22, 2018, 11:44:38 am »
    So I got tired of waiting for a welcome email with the coupon, I googled. And found the 25% off coupon there and it applied just fine. Its WELCOME25

So I got basically 2 of the teas for free.  ;D

Saffron Chai
    Assam Chai
    Cardamon Chai
    Blooming Rose
    Classic English Breakfast
    Himalayan Breakfast.

I saved 12.34 with the coupon so that is awesome. So I can try a bit more. The blooming rose sounds really interesting. And so do the chai teas. I finished the chai I had which was getting a bit old anyway. And I always like trying the breakfast blends if they are made out of full leaf. Their english is basically mix of assam. Others use Keemun and others use a bunch of different Teas. Since they sell indian teas of course they wouldn't have Keemun. I like assam if its the right ones. The reviews helped also. And prices are really great, probably since they don't have a middle man.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6869 on: September 22, 2018, 03:18:17 pm »
    That sounds like a great order. I hope you love them. You'll have to let me know what you think of the Saffron Chai.

The Blooming Rose was a really tight fit in the resealable package, I had trouble fitting it all in there and closing it.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6870 on: September 23, 2018, 02:17:05 pm »
    I'll let you know. It says they shipped already so that is fast. Looking forward. Its always nice to get a new shipment of tea.  ;D

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
    • To boldly split infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Official Website of William D. Richards
    « Reply #6871 on: September 26, 2018, 11:16:14 am »
    Are there any current coupons for Wha-Cha?
    Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
    William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6872 on: September 26, 2018, 12:10:20 pm »
    I usually google the site and coupons and come up with these coupon sites that often work. Like I found the 25% for the Vahdam site on one of those.

They aren't always good anymore though so you have to try.

https://couponfollow.com/site/what-cha.com

I see a SUMMER20 to try and the other is for green tea. But I can't say if they are still good or not. Worth a try.
    I assume you meant what cha right? Or is the a Wha Cha also.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
    • To boldly split infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Official Website of William D. Richards
    « Reply #6873 on: September 27, 2018, 08:07:52 am »
    I usually google the site and coupons and come up with these coupon sites that often work. Like I found the 25% for the Vahdam site on one of those.

They aren't always good anymore though so you have to try.

https://couponfollow.com/site/what-cha.com

I see a SUMMER20 to try and the other is for green tea. But I can't say if they are still good or not. Worth a try.
    I assume you meant what cha right? Or is the a Wha Cha also.

Thanks! I already found and tried the SUMMER20 code, but it was rejected as "expired."

One idea, I guess, would be to ask Wha-Cha directly. :)
    Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
    William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6874 on: September 29, 2018, 09:25:48 am »
    Thanks! I already found and tried the SUMMER20 code, but it was rejected as "expired."

One idea, I guess, would be to ask Wha-Cha directly. :)
    Ah, sorry it didn't work. Worth a try.

Yep ask them. And if you haven't ordered before, I think most of those places have a coupon of for those.

I seen them on reddit too so maybe they post some codes there. I always check out the tea reddit and I have seen some comments about them there and their own reddit thingy which is https://www.reddit.com/user/what-cha

I got my tea order today from Vahdam. That packaging is inspired and pretty but also so practical. Teas are vaccum sealed, you get a bag to put it in after you cut the tea open and has a zip closure. They even give you a large sticker with all the info to put on the bag. And they tell you when the tea was harvested on the bottom of the box. Really nicely done. I got 3 chai teas, the blooming rose and the 2 breakfast blends. I started with the safron chai, which I am sipping right now. Their instructions are spot on. 2 grams per 200 ml of water. So my mug holds 400 ml so I used 4 grams. They say its 1 st at 2 grams, but I found my tea spoons put in 3 grams, which is what I usually use per 8 ounces. Probably comes out the same. I have a scale so I don't have to guess.  ;D

They say steeping 3-5 minutes, I did 3. I don't like the CTC tea too get too bitter. It is really good and subtle. Not overpowering in the spices and I like that. Sometimes all you taste are the spices. Very smooth and just very good.

I won't open all at once so  I can't compare them all. At least that is my plan right now. I might not be able to contain myself.  :P Its just that they are so nicely vacuum packed right now.

Very impressed so far.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement