Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 431861 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #6875 on: September 29, 2018, 12:37:55 pm »
Oh well, tried 2 more.  ;D

So the english breakfast classic is assam. It is so very smooth, I really really like it. Strong, but not too strong and not bitter. Sometimes really strong assams can be a bit "hit me in the innards" like. But that one is really smooth. It is maybe not for those that like their breakfast teas strong enough to stick a spoon in upright.  ;D. Bit its its not a light tea or anything. Just right for me. Would hold up to milk I think, but I don't put milk in my teas so I can't say for sure.

Then I tried another Chai. Of course. I tried the assam spice chai, which unlike most of the others uses more whole leafs than the ctc cut. That makes the spices stand out more. It is very different from the safron. Also very good. More of the traditional chai taste where I can taste a even blend of the cardamom, cloves and pepper. It also has cinnamon, but it doesn't overpower the chai, which it can do if you put too much in. Very nice blend. And the tea is very smooth and i can still taste the black tea underneath. So they are both very nice. THe safron is softer, with a nice  tone which I think is the safron. Never had that in a tea so its different. I rate them both as outstanding and can't pick which one I like better. Just different. I have one chai left which is the cardamon. But I won't open that one til I am through with the other 2.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6876 on: September 29, 2018, 07:09:55 pm »
    I'm glad you're liking everything so far. Sounds like I definitely need the saffron chai.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6877 on: September 30, 2018, 09:00:04 am »
    So I tried the blooming rose. I am not sure about that one yet. I think part of the issue is that its very hard to get bits of everything that is in this tea. there are a lot of rose petals in there and they were kind of stuck together in the vacuum pack. So I probably got more of those in the first try than the other stuff. Its really hard to mix that one up right now. Barely fit in the bag, I tried to break it up in a bowl first, but since the petals are lighter, they'll go to the top. So once the bag gets a bit space and air in it, I'll have to shake it a bit. I don't want to create dust though so carefully. Right now its a bit much as far as the rose goes. I mean its still fairly gentle overall, but I taste mostly just the rose.

So I'll have to come back on that after I tried a few more cups to see if I can get a better ratio of ingredients. They list black tea first, but to be honest, I didn't see a lot of tea in my bag, its like mostly rose petals.  8)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6878 on: September 30, 2018, 10:16:11 am »
    *waves at everyone*  I'm home after 10 days on the road down to Tennessee for 4 days and back to Iowa for an annual philanthropic convention in Des Moines.  Had a wonderful time but I am tired.

I took my little 4-cup teapot along with Red Plum, Sticky Rice, and Cream Assam teas. Trudged down to the coffee/breakfast areas with my pot every morning to fill from whatever hot water dispenser they had.  That was definitely better than hotel tea bags and water run through the room coffee pot into a cup!  It is, however, quite wonderful to be sitting in my chair at home, feet up, and a 6-cup pot of truly proper temperature brewed Cream Assam beside me.

The chai teas you have been trying sound great, the Assam spice that has pepper notes and not heavy cinnamon sounds perfect and saffron chai sounds amazing.  I see another tea order from a different company in my near future!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6879 on: September 30, 2018, 10:21:28 am »
    *waves back and crebel*

I love the image of you trudging downstairs down or skulking around for the hunt of hot water with your tea pot.  ;D

Those chais are really good. I am currently sipping the 3rd one I got. Cardamon. Which has only black tea and cardamon in it. But neither the assam chai or the saffron were heavy on the cinnamon.  They do have one that is called cinnamon chai. I think they just offer something for everyone. Some like cardamon, some like cinnamon, some like something a bit more layered which I think the saffron is. It costs a bit more, but its just so different.

And what the heck is the plural of Chai? I don't know how to type it. Or is the plural also chai.  :-\

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6880 on: September 30, 2018, 10:27:26 am »
    *waves back and crebel*

I love the image of you trudging downstairs down or skulking around for the hunt of hot water with your tea pot.  ;D

Those chais are really good. I am currently sipping the 3rd one I got. Cardamon. Which has only black tea and cardamon in it. But neither the assam chai or the saffron were heavy on the cinnamon.  They do have one that is called cinnamon chai. I think they just offer something for everyone. Some like cardamon, some like cinnamon, some like something a bit more layered which I think the saffron is. It costs a bit more, but its just so different.

And what the heck is the plural of Chai? I don't know how to type it. Or is the plural also chai.  :-\

:D No clue, Chais didn't look right to me and my spellcheck hates it (as it does many tea terms), so that's why I went went with chai teas!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6881 on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:54 am »
    :D No clue, Chais didn't look right to me and my spellcheck hates it (as it does many tea terms), so that's why I went went with chai teas!
    You went went with it?  ;D

Sounds like a plan. Stick the plural to the second word. Works for me.

Wowser that cardamon chai is good. Only for those that actually like cardamon of course as there is nothing else to layer in it. It is very fresh cardamon and they just roughly chopped up the whole pods so you get the husks and the seeds in it. Not too small so its not too strong. Nice change of pace from the other *chai teas.(*  :P )
    « Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:34:29 am by Atunah »

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6882 on: September 30, 2018, 10:57:18 am »
    It looks like all the Vadham teas are available through Amazon and are prime items so no shipping (sold by Amazon, shipped by Vadham so I assume freshness is not a concern).  There is also a 10% coupon on a first order.  The Assam Spice Chai is $10.99/100 gms and the Saffron $12.99 (before 10% coupon).  I have both of those in my cart now, but haven't completed the order until I decide whether to add anything else - the Holy Basil Chai sounds tempting as well.

With me being too lazy to go directly to the Vadham site to check, how do those prices compare?  Is it worth it to set up an account at Vadham directly?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6883 on: September 30, 2018, 11:12:40 am »
    They have a 25% coupon for first orders I used. The assam spice masala is 8.99 on their site and the safron is 11.99 for the 100 grams. They ship very fast, although it comes via fedex smartpost which is transferred to the post office.

The code I used was WELCOME25 and I had googled that one since I never got the email with it. It took a total of 7 days to get here. Ordered on the 22nd and got it yesterday.

They have free shipping over $35 so depending if you want to just get a couple, it might negate the coupon with the shipping. I don't know what that would be without the free ship.

eta: I checked and its $5 under $35 to ship.

I don't see that code anymore on the site I found it. retailmenot. But they always have 20% off first order, I just never got the email. Sign up your email on the bottom of the vadahm website first to see if you get the code, then you can calculate.

eta2: I take it back, I still see the WELCOME25 for 25% on that website retailmenot. Worth a try.
    « Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 11:18:02 am by Atunah »

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6884 on: September 30, 2018, 11:34:48 am »
    If you order it from Amazon, I think most of them are 2-3 bags of the tea vs 1 bag direct from Vahdam.

Atunah, I'm so glad you like the cardamom. The rose is definitely very rosey, which is what I liked about it, but I can see how it could be too much for others. It does make an excellent cold brew.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6885 on: October 01, 2018, 09:36:01 am »
    I don't know how many of us get the Gong Fu newsletter, but thought some might be interested in the brewing instructions they sent today for "authentic" chai tea:

Loose Leaf Chai Instructions

1.5 Litre Batch

-Add 12 tsp (1 oz) Chai leaf to 7 cups of hot water in a saucepan on a stovetop
    -Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes
    -Add 6 Tbsp sugar (preferably brown crystal sugar) and 1 cup of milk (preferably whole) heat through (1/2 to 1 minute), strain and
     serve.

12 oz Cup

-Heat a combination of 2 oz whole milk and 12 oz water to a boil
    -Add 3 tsp Chai leaf and 4 tsp sugar to your brewing vessel
    -Pour hot milk/water mixture over leaf and sugar and steep for 5 minutes.  Remove leaf and enjoy!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6886 on: October 01, 2018, 09:52:38 am »
    Nice recipe. Not really something I can really make though as its better to make a large batch to serve several. Its only me that drinks it. I would have to use swerve instead of sugar and I never have milk in the house, too many carbs. But I do always have heavy cream, but I don't know how to work that in. Plus, the sugar kind of cooks in and I don't know if erythritol (non sugar) works the same way or turns weird. I might just try a mug for myself with a wee bit of cream and a wee bit of swerve.

I am going to have to come over crebel's house so we can make a bit batch.  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6887 on: October 01, 2018, 10:14:29 am »
    So I made a mug with heavy cream and swerve. I basically brewed it together to kind of duplicate the simmering. So I put some cream and "sugar" in the mug, put my strainer in and added my 2 ts of tea and steeped for 4 minutes. A little longer than I would do without the cream. I am assuming what I have is more a chai latte than a traditional chai, using cream instead of milk, but its quite good.

This would really work great with the double spice chai, or regular chai. I used the assam chai. Would be good with the cardamom too I think. Not sure about the safron, kind of a waste for me.  8)

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6888 on: October 02, 2018, 05:08:26 pm »
    Most of the time I drink my chai with just sugar, no milk. But every so often I will add some heavy cream or french vanilla creamer, I would probably try sweetened condensed milk too. Then there was that one time I steeped a chai in coconut milk instead of water, that was super yummy. But then I discovered that I'm allergic to coconut so I can't do that again.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6889 on: October 02, 2018, 05:50:48 pm »
    Assam Spice and Saffron Chai teas are on their way to me.  I went ahead and ordered from Amazon because I already have 'play' money in my gift card balance and didn't have to put a cc# on another online retailer.

I have always made my chai teas milky (I use evaporated milk straight from the can so it's heavier like cream) and sweet, so I guess lattes.  I can't quite imagine sweet with saffron so will probably try it plain, then with milk just for the creamy mouth feel and go from there.

ETA:  Great enabling, Michelle!  :-*
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:52:58 pm by crebel »

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6890 on: October 02, 2018, 05:57:33 pm »
    Yay! I hope you like them.

Vahdam takes PayPal. But I don't remember if you use that or not.

Crap I just noticed the $5 gift voucher they sent me expired. I was planning to order this weekend.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6891 on: October 02, 2018, 06:07:02 pm »
     ;D

yay crebel. Totally Michelle's fault to have yet another great tea vendor. I hope you like the chai teas. I think I got it settles. I brew it with 1 tablespoon of cream and some drops of stevia and rest water. Really good. Its not really sweet, which i don't like. I don't ever put sugar in my drinks. But just 3-4 drops of stevia get it just right. Not sweet, but like warm. Not sure how to explain that. Just a wee bit. It elevates the creaminess of the heavy cream.

I used paypal to pay. I always use it if I have the option. It still uses my credit card, but I don't have to give that number to yet another site. Just feels safer.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6892 on: October 03, 2018, 06:40:12 am »
    I agree. I also find that it makes me wait longer to order from the stores that don't use paypal.

I've been debating on the Maharani Chai Spiced Oolong from Vahdam. It looks like it may be one of the heavier roasted types of oolong, which are not my usual taste, but combined with the spices it is tempting me. I may get it when I get the Saffron. I suppose if it's too roasty I can just add more sugar.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6893 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:35 am »
    Ohhh, I didn't even see the Oolong chai. They don't have it under chai category but under oolong. I didn't look too deeply there yet. That one sounds really good. I have a feeling that over time I'll be trying most of the chai teas they have. I am impressed with the 3 so far and I like that they are different.

I also now have tried both of the breakfast teas I got. I got the classic which are assam and the himalayan one. I was pleasantly suprised by the himalayan. It almost has a spice note in smell and drinking. It just tastes so very fresh. I also like the assam breakfast. Just a very nice one. Both I think I'll get again.

Net time I'll also try one of their higher end darjeeling. But not until I drunk up more of my already in house stock of tea gschwendner darjeeling and other blacks. Its why i mostly stuck with the chai teas for now.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6894 on: October 03, 2018, 04:12:03 pm »
    My $5 gift code still worked so I got some Saffron chai, Maharani Chai and Vanilla Spice Chai.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6895 on: October 05, 2018, 08:43:06 am »
    My new chai teas arrived yesterday, but I am fighting the worst head cold I have had in years and couldn't even smell them!  I am brewing a pot of the Assam Chai now as some smell has returned although I don't know that it will be a fair test yet.

I did really like the packaging for the Vadham teas and that information on the box part included when they were picked to show their freshness!  The Assam Chai was picked in January 2018 and the Saffron Chai in February 2018.  They also added an Amazon checkout code for 15% off my next order which I thought was a nice touch.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6896 on: October 05, 2018, 09:59:21 am »
    Sorry about your head cold  :-*. Worst thing ever.

You have enough tea to drink it now to make you feel better and again when you can smell normally again.

So yours came in a box too then, with the vacuum sealed tea, a sticker and the empty bag to put it in? I guess its the same packaging they have at amazon or at their site. All my teas said May 2018 I think, one might have been april.

All of those dates are still good ones really. Especially the way they pack them. They don't sit around in bins.

Looking forward to your opinions, before and after head cold. Feel better soon.  :-*

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6897 on: October 05, 2018, 12:15:44 pm »
    Sorry about the cold, crebel. Maybe the spices will help your head clear a bit.

I don't know if it's just a fall craving or what but chai is moving up my list of favorites quickly. They are just so cozy and comforting.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6898 on: October 10, 2018, 05:52:03 am »
    I'm trying the Maharani Chai this morning. It's more roasty than I like my oolongs, but still very good. The first steep was more oolong than spice, probably because I used my usual oolong steep time. For the 2nd steep I went 5 minutes and the spices were lovely.

I'm almost out of my rock sugar. Thankfully I have more on the way. It is my favorite sweetener for tea, since I can't have honey.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6899 on: October 10, 2018, 10:06:37 am »
    I love rock sugar. Or I should say loved. I don't do any sugar anymore. My grandma had some in a beehive jar on the table when I grew up and a couple of pieces of that were all the candies we were allowed.  ;D

Interesting about the Maharani chai. Not sure if that one would be for me. Mostly because of the oolong. I don't like mine super roasted either and I can see how that would overtake the spices if not steeped long enough. So far the only one I don't really love is the Blooming rose. I found out that rose just isn't my thing in tea.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement