Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 429078 times)  

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #6900 on: October 10, 2018, 10:35:04 am »
We remain a house of pestilence with seemingly never-ending colds.  My taste buds are still off, but I did enjoy what I could taste of the Assam chai.  I have switched to drinking pots brewed of plain old Red Rose tea bags (although I do get mine from friends in Canada so they are a WAY better blend of tea/actual tea leaves than the US bags) rather than wasting my good loose leaf teas on dead taste buds.  I have yet to open the saffron chai.

I did reach the conclusion over the last few months that I no longer enjoy big pots of flavored teas like chai, lavender, rose, etc.  They are great for a mug-full now and then, but for on-going daily drinking by the pot-full, I want variations of "plain" teas.  Except sticky rice puerh ... I will never tire of pot after pot of sticky rice tea!  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6901 on: October 10, 2018, 11:20:49 am »
    Ah yes, sticky rice. I agree. Makes a good pot.

Sorry you all are sick. Hope you get through it soon.

I don't make pots of my flavored teas either. I make the chai teas in a filter I put in my mug. One of those large finums. Its only used for the flavored. Regular ones I make either in a pot, or for one mug in one of those magic tea maker thingies where you set it on top of the cup when its done brewing.

I am about to have a chai in fact. I don't know which one yet.  ;D

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6902 on: October 10, 2018, 12:21:57 pm »
    Sorry that you're still sick crebel. I hope you feel better and can taste properly soon.

My throat was feeling scratchy so I am having an afternoon cup.. I'm finishing up the last of a sample of Yuletide Toddy from Adagio. I'm really not fond of fruit blends with hibiscus in them. And finding ones that sound good that don't contain it is near impossible.

I can't remember if you guys like rooibos or honeybush blends, but Harney's Holiday Herbal is sooooo good. It is so warm and comforting. And smells and tastes wonderful. I want to try their regular Holiday blend this year, but the herbal version is one of my favorite teas.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6903 on: October 11, 2018, 05:35:57 am »
    I tried the Saffron Chai this morning. I forgot what you said about it, Atunah, so I steeped for 5 minutes. I should have steeped for 3. 5 was too much. The saffron does give it a unique taste. I think I like it, I'll know more about it next time when I hopefully remember to only steep for 3 minutes.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6904 on: October 11, 2018, 08:13:01 am »
    I tried the Saffron chai this morning.  I'm not sure what I think!  I brewed 4 minutes at 208 and all I can taste is cloves, cloves, and more cloves ...

The 'leaves' and spices in my infuser look pretty much like a wet version of what went in dry, like little rolled crumbs of tea plus spices, not anything that even resembles cut tea leaves.  I did try to mix the tea up when transferring to the resealable bag so the spices weren't concentrated on the top or bottom.

I'm not wild about it at this point, but my taste buds may still be off with the head cold. I'll try again one of these days.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6905 on: October 11, 2018, 03:45:33 pm »
    I steep all the chai teas at 3 minutes. I don't put anything in though.

The saffron is very different. I had it one day and it tasted weird. Next day was fine. I don't call it a usual chai. My favorite is still the Assam chai. Saffron is kind of off the beaten path. But I can see if you don't like it.

But yeah, I don't like them at 5 minutes. It gets too bitter and weird. Safron and the cardamon have the CTC cut tear and curl little bits of tea in them. They brew stronger. The Assam uses whole leaves.

the saffron can have a weird aftertaste for me at times. Not sure if its how I mix it up or what. Maybe I get too much saffron in the batch. It is a bit more clove heavy than say the assam or of course the cardamon. I don't get any overwhelming cinnamon on any them and that is a good thing. I love cinnamon, don't get me wrong, but it can take over all the flavors.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6906 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:07 am »
    Harney's has a new flavor that sounds yummy. Hot Apple Spice.

I want to try that soon. And Pumpkin Spice. 

Tis the season I guess. I don't remember having spice cravings last fall but this year I can't seem to get enough spices.

Offline NanD

• View Profile
    « Reply #6907 on: October 13, 2018, 10:46:57 am »
    I want put in an order at Harney & Sons,but they are out of the decaf assam tea.
    I need the Royal Palace Tea and wanted to try their new Smoke Tea.

Do any of the sites you order from have a decaf assam?

When the weather is colder, I like a cup of decaf tea in the evening. I aleady have decaf Cinnamon Spice and decaf Paris (basically earl grey) and decaf green. I have decaf green pretty much every day at lunch, so I want something different in the evening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6908 on: October 13, 2018, 11:02:41 am »
    gongfu-tea.com (the store I buy from regularly), has a decaf assam listed.  I haven't tried it personally, but I've never had a low-quality tea from them.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6909 on: October 14, 2018, 07:32:09 am »
    I can't get warm today so I'm on my 3rd mug of tea. The first was Davidson's Rooibos Chai from my October Sipsby box. The second was Harney's Pumpkin Spice, which I found at Target yesterday. And now I'm on Adagio Rooibos Cinnamon Apple.

I figured since I am going to be drinking so much of it today, I should probably stick to no caffeine.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6910 on: October 14, 2018, 04:20:26 pm »
    I thought some might be interested in this chai simple syrup recipe that was posted on the tea Reddit today:

chai spiced simple syrup: 2 inches fresh ginger $0.33; 1/2T black peppercorns $0.08; 1 large (or 4 small) cinnamon stick $1.50; 10 whole cloves $0.39; 1/2t vanilla extract $0.14; 1 cup white sugar $0.16; 2 cups water $0.00

Preparation Steps

1. Peel the ginger (vegetable peeler or scrape with a spoon) and then cut into thin slices.

2. In a medium sauce pan, combine all of the ingredients except the vanilla extract. Bring up to a boil over medium/high heat and then reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer strongly for 30 minutes.

3. After 30 minutes of simmering, turn off the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature. Strain the mixture through a sieve, stir in the vanilla extract, and pour into a resealable container. Store in the refrigerator for up to one month.

Edited to try and remove the formatting diamonds ...
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:25:28 pm by crebel »

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6911 on: October 15, 2018, 05:03:04 am »
    That sounds yummy I'll have to try that soon. I have some spiced teas that aren't quite spiced enough for my taste, and that would be perfect.

BTW did you read through the comments on that? There was one addition that used maple syrup and saffron that sounds lovely.
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:44:19 am by MichelleB675 »

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6912 on: October 15, 2018, 05:49:55 am »
    That sounds yummy I'll have to try that soon. I have some spiced teas that aren't quite spiced enough for my taste, and that would be perfect.

BTW did you read through the comments on that? There was one addition that used maple syrup and saffron that sounds lovely.

I thought it sounded yummy also.  Of course there were several comments about changing/adding to the spices used; someone mentioned it would never be a true chai spice mix without some cardamom, another suggested adding star anise. 

Personally, I would add cardamom, crush and double a peppercorn blend, and halve the amount of cloves.  It is a great base recipe to get you started.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6913 on: October 15, 2018, 05:54:35 am »
    Yeah definitely cardamom and a peppercorn mix. I wouldn't add anise, because I hate that flavor. The first time I would probably leave the cloves as is. And maybe use some ground vanilla bean instead of extract.

I think I have everything but the ginger. I may need some cinnamon sticks too, I'll have to check, but I seem to remember the jar getting kinda empty the last time I made butter chicken.

Offline Scout Dawson

• View Profile
    « Reply #6914 on: October 19, 2018, 05:53:09 am »
    I am so happy this thread exists haha. I love tea. Tea saves lives.

Scout Dawson | Twitter | Facebook

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6915 on: October 22, 2018, 06:47:51 am »
    I plan to make the chai syrup today. I bought fresh ginger on Saturday and a jar of cinnamon sticks, though when I went to gather the spices, I found a jar with 2 sticks in it so I'll use those first. I plan to use vanilla bean instead of extract, add cardamom and have a mix of black and pink peppercorns. I thought I had a bottle of mixed but I don't so I'll just use half black and half pink.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6916 on: October 22, 2018, 08:35:55 am »
    That really sounds good. Not for me as I don't do sugar and the sugar substitutes don't really work well to make a syrup with I don't think.
    I always have ginger in the house, I cook a lot with it. But I freeze mine and use a microplane to shave it off frozen. Works grate for grating, but not so much to make slices. But I take the fresh, slice it it up and then freeze those. Ginger freezes really well and that way its always fresh.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6917 on: October 22, 2018, 09:15:07 am »
    I made it, it was halfway cool. Then I saw your reply pop up in my email and realized that I forgot to add the ginger. So now it is simmering again. But even without the ginger it was super yummy, it was just missing something lol.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6918 on: October 22, 2018, 09:34:58 am »
    That really sounds good. Not for me as I don't do sugar and the sugar substitutes don't really work well to make a syrup with I don't think.
    I always have ginger in the house, I cook a lot with it. But I freeze mine and use a microplane to shave it off frozen. Works grate for grating, but not so much to make slices. But I take the fresh, slice it it up and then freeze those. Ginger freezes really well and that way its always fresh.

Which sugar substitutes do you use?  Is it the sucralose products that give you grief?  Because I did find a recipe that says you can make syrups (although thinner unless you cook them down a lot - which further concentrates the amount of sweet) with the sucralose products.

If you don't like sweet in your tea at all, simple syrup is useless. Otherwise, you'd just be choosing what blends of spices you want to make your own chai by adding to a plain black or green tea, right?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6919 on: October 22, 2018, 09:38:14 am »
    Yep, I used to just add my spices no sugar.

I use erythritol and stevia. Erythritol is most tasing like sugar. I use some liquid sucralose, but not the bags of powdered as that has extra carbs from the fillers. I don't need a lot of it in the house as I don't put sweet in my drinks. My husband does and he uses either agave syrup or the liquid sucralose. When I make a low carb cake in the cup or such thing its always erythritol. Also sold as swerve in some areas.

I can't use any other substitutes as they give me either a headache or stomach ache. Maltitol I am looking at you.  :-X

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #6920 on: October 24, 2018, 04:27:59 pm »
    I love these new tea bags that add spices in the tea bag and it does taste good. I always like my tea with milk and brown sugar. Artificial sweetener is not good for you and is not the way to reduce calories.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6921 on: October 25, 2018, 05:02:45 am »
    I've used the syrup a few times now, and I think when I make it again, I'll use less ginger and possibly crystallized ginger instead of fresh. It is taking over the spices a bit.

I'm having Adagio's Fiery Cinnamon Spice this morning. I wanted to compare it to Harney's. Both are great.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6922 on: October 25, 2018, 07:45:23 am »
    Holy Moly, I just placed a phone order with GongFu so DH can pick it up while he is in the big city today and their prices have increased significantly  :o :o.  Like Oriental Beauty oolong, which was already pricey, has gone up $5/oz (did NOT buy), my every day Cream Assam, up $2/oz.  I was on the website, so I could see the increases before I purchased, but it was still a shocker for middling quantities of just 3 "normal" teas to total $75.  I think I'm depressed  :'(  ::)

I didn't ask, and I don't know if it's because of new tariffs, etc., but I will definitely have to temper my loose tea buying.  Anyone noticing significant changes at other vendors?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6923 on: October 25, 2018, 09:05:42 am »
    I had to search my email. Cream Assam  I paid $11 back in May. So maybe they had already gone up a bit by then?

Red plum went from $9 to $9.50. But $5 more for the already precious Oolong? Ouch.

Still concerning if they all go up. Haven't looked at other vendors yet. Gonna check TG.

That $75 isn't going to last you very long, is it.  :(

eta: Ouch. TG gone up too, at least for those I searched. I bought 250grams of the finest keemun in last time at it was 35.50. It is now 42.95.

Tariffs?  Or just the usual variation in tea prices.

Correction it did not go up ant TG. The order in May was 35.50 an the one in August was 42.95. So they had already gone up before.
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:10:19 am by Atunah »

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6924 on: October 25, 2018, 10:57:00 am »
    Prices at Stash are the same as last time I ordered in Aug/Sept., thank goodness!

So, 4 oz. = approximately 113 gms.  Now 4 oz of sticky rice tuochas at GF are $17.00 and 200 gms of sticky rice tuochas at Stash are $11.75.  Glad I prefer the Stash sticky rice!  I'm just shocked at the amount of increase at GF in the last 2 months.  No shipping and handling since I always go to GF to buy could be a factor, I guess, but since my total orders are always over $50 I wouldn't have S&H most places ordering online either.  Looks like I will be doing some more sampling from Stash.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement