Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 429061 times)  

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #6925 on: October 25, 2018, 01:06:46 pm »
The teas I have ordered from GF have gone up $0.50. That's not too bad.

The ones have tried from Adagio are the same price. Most of the ones from Harney are the same price, the only difference I have seen so far is the Li Shan, but it is possible that one was on sale when I bought it.

I haven't actually gone back to reorder anything from anyone yet, other than to order a larger size after finishing a sample from Harney.  I have a lot of tea to work through before I do that. And it would probably help a lot of I would stop getting flavor cravings and ordering a bunch of certain things like chai or jasmine or rose. My bin of tea packages is bursting. and my tin section is spreading across the shelf.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6926 on: November 28, 2018, 07:24:16 am »
    I tried a new-to-me tea from GF yesterday, Genmaicha, which is a Japanese green (Bancha) mixed with toasted rice. It looks like little rice krispie pieces in there! They have a second blend called Genmaimatcha, which is the same with the addition of some matcha powder mixed it. I haven't had matcha, so I went for the more traditional blend first.

I don't think it will be a must have to keep in a daily rotation of a big potful, but I quite like it for the occasional cup or two.  It is light, definitely has a toasty/nutty flavor come through, better to me hot than cold (only 30 seconds steeping!), and nothing added. 

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6927 on: December 09, 2018, 03:58:09 pm »
    I appear to be talking to myself in here now, but just in case anyone is still reading who may be preparing a GongFu order, I have a new-to-me-tea for you to try.  ::)

Last time I was in the store, I got several of their less expensive black teas just to try, looking for an every day tea that won't put me in the poorhouse in the quantities I consume.  Several of them have been "fine", a step up from grocery store bagged tea, but nothing yippee skippee. 

Today I tried "The Himalayan" - "Through our contacts in the tea industry, we were able to find a tea garden nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas that specializes in producing a wonderfully bold black tea.  Simply put, The Himalayan is as wildly beautiful as its namesake.  A must-try for the adventurer at heart."  Only $6.50/2 oz!

I don't know that I would describe it as "bold", but it is a wonderful tea.  From the looks of the leaves, there is some tippy Assam in there, it has a slightly sweet light malt to it, almost a poor person's version of Oriental Beauty oolong, and maybe a very small amount of smokiness like a Keemun.  Delicious.  I will add it to my permanent rotation.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6928 on: December 09, 2018, 04:36:39 pm »
    That sounds nice.  Sorry I haven't been posting much. I didn't really have anything new or interesting to say.

I placed a small order from Tea Gschwendner.. Bossa Nova, Winter Magic and Luigi Amaretto. I look forward to trying them. I've been eyeing Bossa Nova and Winter Magic for a year.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6929 on: December 09, 2018, 04:43:36 pm »
    *Waves to Michelle* - nice to hear from you!  I've never ordered from TG, but some of their blends sound delicious!  Is the Amaretto a repeat for you?

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6930 on: December 09, 2018, 04:54:39 pm »
    it is my first order from TG.  I'm not sure if it was the amaretto or the another TG almond blend that was mentioned in the thread before, but the amaretto sounds yummy so I thought I would try it.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6931 on: December 09, 2018, 05:15:44 pm »
    it is my first order from TG.  I'm not sure if it was the amaretto or the another TG almond blend that was mentioned in the thread before, but the amaretto sounds yummy so I thought I would try it.

I think I remember that TG is where Atunah gets her marzipan tea also.  I may have to break down and order from them to try some new things now that I've broken the ice ordering from Stash and not getting all my tea from GF in person!

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6932 on: December 10, 2018, 05:50:22 am »
    Marzipan, that was the one I was supposed to look for but couldn't remember. I need to order from Stash sometime too. There are a few there I want to try.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6933 on: December 11, 2018, 04:31:56 am »
    I received my latest order of sticky rice tea from Stash and am disappointed.  I think they sent plain pu-erh tuochas instead, zero sticky rice taste or smell.  I double-checked to make sure I ordered the right thing and have sent them an email this morning after brewing a pot.  I'll let you know how they respond. :(

eta:  Terrific customer service and a really quick response.  They apologized for shipping the wrong pu-erh, are sending the correct order free of charge, and told me to enjoy the pu-erh that was received in error.  I am happy to continue doing business with Stash Tea!  ;D
    « Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:55:31 pm by crebel »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6934 on: December 13, 2018, 07:08:03 am »
    Oh wow, that is super customer service. Glad you are getting your actual sticky rice one. Yay for stash. I am holding off on ordering for now until I got all my mail and such set up. I am still in the forwarding stage and not actually sleeping at the new place.

Crebel, I have had the himalayan fron gong fu before. I went through my order lists and there it was. I remember really liking it. But I like Himalayan a lot no matter where i order it. Last order was the one from Vadahm. Also very inexpensive and high quality stuff. Sorry about my typos, I am having to use an older laptop that has a messed up keyboard with sticky keys. I can't find my real laptop in this mess right now.  :o

TeaGschwendner has a 15% off site wide today and tomorrow. So if you guys were thinking about something from them. Its code holiday18. One does though have to order $60 to get free shipping.

Yes, I always order the Marzipan from TG. And the Mango. And Bossa Nova and a couple of other teas I really like. Their Keemun is really really good, always a staple. But I am going to order also from Vadahm for the chai and their himalayan and their classic english breakfast which really surprised me how good and really inexpensive it is.

My teas and teashelf are already at the house.  ;D. So I "only" have 3 teas left to drink at the apartment until Monday. Oh the humanity.  :P

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6935 on: December 13, 2018, 07:18:21 am »
    I'm so glad Stash fixed that for you. TG shipping isn't too bad, it was $6.99 for my order, which hasn't shipped yet. I'm not in a huge rush anyway. I've been fighting a sinus infection and can't really taste or smell anyway. I had 1 day I could taste a few days ago and put some brown sugar in my saffron chai and that was yummy.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6936 on: December 13, 2018, 10:36:08 am »
    Oh wow, that is super customer service. Glad you are getting your actual sticky rice one. Yay for stash. I am holding off on ordering for now until I got all my mail and such set up. I am still in the forwarding stage and not actually sleeping at the new place.

Crebel, I have had the himalayan fron gong fu before. I went through my order lists and there it was. I remember really liking it. But I like Himalayan a lot no matter where i order it. Last order was the one from Vadahm. Also very inexpensive and high quality stuff. Sorry about my typos, I am having to use an older laptop that has a messed up keyboard with sticky keys. I can't find my real laptop in this mess right now.  :o

TeaGschwendner has a 15% off site wide today and tomorrow. So if you guys were thinking about something from them. Its code holiday18. One does though have to order $60 to get free shipping.

Yes, I always order the Marzipan from TG. And the Mango. And Bossa Nova and a couple of other teas I really like. Their Keemun is really really good, always a staple. But I am going to order also from Vadahm for the chai and their himalayan and their classic english breakfast which really surprised me how good and really inexpensive it is.

My teas and teashelf are already at the house.  ;D. So I "only" have 3 teas left to drink at the apartment until Monday. Oh the humanity.  :P

Thanks for confirming the quality of the Himalayan tea from GF, Atunah!  I wonder what else you have tried from them that I haven't  ::).  I think there is another more expensive tea you also get from TG that you're really fond of, Executive or something like that?

I'm so glad Stash fixed that for you. TG shipping isn't too bad, it was $6.99 for my order, which hasn't shipped yet. I'm not in a huge rush anyway. I've been fighting a sinus infection and can't really taste or smell anyway. I had 1 day I could taste a few days ago and put some brown sugar in my saffron chai and that was yummy.

So sorry about the sinus infection, it was a horrible few weeks for tea tasting when I was sick for so long, even strong flavors like the chai just weren't making it through to my taste buds.  Warm/hot beverage still felt good so I started brewing plain old Red Rose tea bags instead of my good leaves since I couldn't taste or smell anyway.  Hope yours gets better quickly.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6937 on: December 13, 2018, 11:56:48 am »
    Crebel, its the Diplomat tea from TG.  ;D I only buy it when they have a sale since its a wee bit on the high side. Well, for me it is. Plenty of really nice oolongs cost more than that. Its a blend of oolong and darjeeling.

Michelle I hope you get over your sinus infection soon. Hopefully by the time you get your TG order. Takes a few days. They ship out in 2-3 days and I think they ship it with Fedex. Pretty sure, although I can't bet on it right now.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6938 on: December 17, 2018, 03:30:14 pm »
    My TG order shipped. UPS. It should be here tomorrow.

I can smell and halfway taste now, so I went a little crazy baking cookies.. Chocolate Chip, Eggnog, Maple Crunch, Snowballs, Chocolate Covered Cherry and Cherry Kisses.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6939 on: December 18, 2018, 06:13:50 pm »
    My TG order shipped. UPS. It should be here tomorrow.

I can smell and halfway taste now, so I went a little crazy baking cookies.. Chocolate Chip, Eggnog, Maple Crunch, Snowballs, Chocolate Covered Cherry and Cherry Kisses.
    OMG I need to come over. I need all those right now  :P

I got my Vahdam  today. Different chai and basic teas. I had the Earl Grey Chai and wow it is good. Never would  have thought that combination would work. I also got the standard chai to try. I want to try them all. Only ordering when I am through with the others though.

I noticed on their website that they are one of Oprah's favorite things. She apparently tried the 3 chai's i haven't yet.
    She had the spiced oolong, ginger, and sweet cinnamon. I haven't yet tried any of those yet.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6940 on: December 19, 2018, 05:28:50 am »
    I've tried the oolong. It was pretty good, a bit more roasted than I like.

I'm drinking Winter Magic from TG this morning. It is very good.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6941 on: December 19, 2018, 06:37:12 am »
    You got your TG packages, great. I hope you like them all. I have not had the Winter Magic one though.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6942 on: December 20, 2018, 05:13:08 am »
    I really loved Winter Magic. I'm having Bossa Nova this morning. It is very good too.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6943 on: December 20, 2018, 06:29:56 am »
    Amazon carries Vahdam.  I got a sampler pack a few days ago when it was a daily deal.  I haven't tried any yet, but it has several Chais in it.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6944 on: December 22, 2018, 12:49:52 pm »
    I found a lovely gift set of teas at Home Goods. It has 6 tins in it. 

La Via Del Te - Firenze collection

Here it is on the La Via Del Te - https://www.laviadelte.com/shop/tea-gift-box-firenze/676#.XB6jZVVKjIW

I saw it when I was there last week but still had some grocery and Christmas shopping to finish so I waited until this week to see if they still had it, and they did. It was $29.99. The teas all smell yummy. I look forward to trying them.
    « Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:02:04 am by MichelleB675 »

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6945 on: December 27, 2018, 06:06:06 am »
    So far I've tried -

Il Sogno di Michelangelo "a delicate, creamy blend of half-oxidized tea composed of Chinese Oolong tea, raisin, flavours, pine kernels, cornflower, sunflower petals, suffower"

Il Segreto dei Medici "a blend inspired by the secret recipe of chocolate with jasmine flowers which usually ended the banquets, composed of Chinese green tea Special Jasmine, flavours, mallow flowers, jasmine flowers, yellow rose buds, Silvery Pekoe white tea"

Both are good. The Il Segreto dei Medici is an interesting combination of flavors that I wouldn't think would work together (chocolate and jasmine) but it does.

I'm happy I took a chance on this gift set. It's really nice, and when the tea is gone I'll have some more tins to reuse.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6946 on: December 27, 2018, 11:59:28 am »
    Those are some interesting ingredients. And those names of the teas. My spellcheck would be working overtime.  ;D

Glad you are enjoying your journey into all these new tea places.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6947 on: January 23, 2019, 03:32:48 pm »
    Have you guys heard of or tried anything from August Uncommon Teas? The blends sound really interesting and free US shipping.

BTW I have discovered that while I didn't really like Harney's Paris, I do love Paris Herbal. The flavors just work so much better for me with the rooibos.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6948 on: February 12, 2019, 09:37:14 am »
    Have you guys heard of or tried anything from August Uncommon Teas? The blends sound really interesting and free US shipping.

BTW I have discovered that while I didn't really like Harney's Paris, I do love Paris Herbal. The flavors just work so much better for me with the rooibos.
    Did you happen to order from that store? I never heard of it.

I just placed another order with Vahdam. I needed more english breakfast which is so good and very inexpensive as I make pots on the weekend for us with that. I also ordered the pretty small box sampler Oprah's favorite things. It has 3 chai's in  it I haven't tried yet and its in pretty tins and its a valentine to myself. From hubby. He doesn't know it yet though.  :P

I also got their darjeeling sampler as I want to try a few before ordering a full size.

I also need to get a teagschwendner order in within the next few weeks and probably a Gong Fu one. Each has teas I like, but I don't need to order everything at once. Spread it out a bit.

And I found a use for that blooming rose tea from Vahdam I didn't really like as much. I brewed it the other day and just put it over ice with a bit of stevia and it was surprisingly good as a ice tea. I don't usually drink ice tea, but I needed something to cool down from a hot flash. Ugh, I hate those things. I went outside when it was really cold here, like in the 40's (I know I know) and i was simultaneously hot and cold. Its like the worst feeling. I can shiver at night and sweat at the same time.

Still always prefer my teas hot and my coffees even hotter. I can drink tea when it cools down, but coffee gets nasty to me when it gets to just warm.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6949 on: February 12, 2019, 12:39:55 pm »
    I did order a few things.

Outlaw - lapsang souchong smoked tea, assam tea, south indian black tea, german morello cherry, flavoring

Painted Dessert - ceylon black tea, cocoa husk, cinnamon, chili, safflower petals, flavoring

Arabesque -  chinese sencha green tea, yunnan green tea, brazilian jatoba wood, turkish orange, madagascar vanilla, flavoring, lemongrass

Dark Iris - formosa oolong tea, dried peach, persian pistachio, white chocolate, rose petals, flavoring

all 4 were very good. There are a few others I want to try at some point but I need to wait until my tastebuds shift to the spring weather.

I've noticed I like greens, whites and oolongs more in the warmer weather and black teas or chai/spiced teas in the fall and winter. I like rooibos anytime. I drink all of them any time but they don't taste as good to me all the time. Does that make sense?

I want to try matcha again, the only time I've had it was a mint matcha, but I was in my not liking mint phase and didn't like it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement