Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 435692 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #7000 on: May 06, 2019, 06:16:27 pm »
yeah, teas like the nandi need a lot of space. I can barely fit 2 ounces of it into one of my regular tins that usually hold 3.5 to 4 ounce of teas. i do have a couple of larger tins from teagschwendner and harneys that I use for those cases.

Wide mouth are much better at getting stuff out. Even when we faux can our hot peppers, we always use the wide mouth.

I don't think my shelves would hold that many glass containers weight wise. Don't wanna test that.  :-X. But then mine are what I call cheap builder grade which were at some point painted and different doors put on. But the inside is still the same, the frame and shelves. And they look like typical particle board builders use here.

Maybe get a few to try out and see how you like it? Get both sizes for different teas? you won't have the issue with flavor settling with glass for sure.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7001 on: May 15, 2019, 07:27:28 pm »
    I may have gotten just a little carried away at Gong Fu today to stock up on regulars and extra amounts of Chinese teas as the prices are likely going up soon due to the tariffs.  >:( Without mentioning my totals, I got:

Sticky Rice tuos, Wuyi Rock tea (new to me, this is the unsmoked Lapsang which was delicious trying in the store), Seven Sons puerh cake, Ginger Citrus puerh, Irish Breakfast, Lords & Ladies Blend, Cream Assam, The Himalayan, and Red Plum. 

I forgot I was going to try a small bag of the Summertime Blend, but I'll pick that up another day since I'll be here until next week.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7002 on: May 18, 2019, 02:37:15 pm »
    I saw these posted in Reddit tea community, and I'm thinking about ordering some for tea storage instead of tins or my GF bags that flop around in my cupboard when they only have a pot of two of leaf still in them.  Supposedly they block 99% of UVA light and would be airtight with the rubber seal each time you screw the lid back on.

I need to figure out what size (liquid ounces) jars are needed for how much leaf (dry weight).  What do you all think?

Quoting myself to give an update on these Ball jars for loose-leaf tea storage.  I purchased 8 of the shorterer, wide-mouthed, 16 oz jars and 4 of the tall 32 oz jars to start my experiment.  Both sizes came in boxes of 4 and were significantly less expensive at WalMart and Target than Amazon.

The 16 oz jars hold 4 oz of "regular" tea leaves and are full almost to the rim.  Obviously 6 oz of regular leaves fill the 32 oz jars about 3/4 full and they would hold 8 oz. The 32 oz jars are also needed for 4 oz of "fluffy" leaves and take up about 2/3 (maybe a little less) of the jar - they would never fit in the 16 oz jars, but I think the 32 oz jars will probably hold 6 oz

Pluses:

- much less expensive than I thought purchasing locally

- the jars are not very heavy at all individually (I will actually weigh an empty one when I get home from my sister's house), so I'm not worried about fumbling them. Nor do I think they will break easily if dropped (on a linoleum floor, anyway).

- great for going ahead and breaking up a puer cake into approximately 2.5 - 5 gm chunks and putting in the jar rather than storage space for the whole cake (or a plastic bag which I think eventually affects flavor). I have about 40 sticky rice tuos in a 16 oz jar with room to spare.

- the amber UVA filtering color is attractive and I think my cupboard will look nice when I get it reorganized. I like that they are air-tight and glass that is easily washed and won't hold aromas if a tea goes bad or you switch types of tea in the jar.

Minuses:

- if you buy any teas in bigger than 8 oz quantities, you'd need multiple jars for a single tea or have to jump to the gallon size.  8 oz of a single tea is the most I have ever purchased at one time, so it isn't really a minus for me but I thought I'd mention it

- I'm not really sure yet, since I was stacking on carpeted floor here at my sister's rather than a stable shelf, but the slightly concave glass bottom of the jars stacked to the slightly raised lid of the round, metal screw-on tops, may not be a steady as I hoped for stacking.  If that's true, DH is going to have to turn my single extra tall cupboard shelf into 2 shelves or build me a shelf-stacker to my tall tea-cupboard shelf I store bags on now.  I'll just move it to the top of his "Honey Do" list  ;D

- there is raised lettering, decoration, or measurement lines on all sides of the 32 oz jars. Since I want labels to be front-facing (rather than on the lids), I can't put a "smooth" label on them.  This isn't a deal breaker/unworkable, just a drawback IMHO.

Overall, I think I'm going to be very pleased with this storage system over cramming bags in the cupboard or in tins.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #7003 on: May 18, 2019, 05:57:25 pm »
    You could always put the label on the lid and store them in a wine rack.

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Wooden-Wine-Bottle-Holder/dp/B07HKNBSTN

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7004 on: June 26, 2019, 06:52:01 am »
    I thought this was amusing. 
    I've been fighting a cough for going on six weeks now.  The only thing that seems to help is honey and lemon - either in a toddy with run or in tea.  I do not like honey and lemon in my tea so I've been trying to find something to drink it in where it doesn't spoil the taste for me.  I don't want to waste tea that I think tastes perfectly fine with nothing added by putting honey and lemon in it.
    So I decided that I would pull out my ancient Lipton tea bags.  But I can't find them.  So I looked at HEB last weekend and the ONLY box of regular tea bags that they had on the shelf was 100 BAGS.  Seriously, I wanted like 12 or something.  What the heck would I do with 100 plain Lipton tea bags??
    I've checked the stores around here and so far the smallest box I can find is 50.  I've also discovered that one of my cousins who lives near me will drink Lipton so I have a place to go with the extra bags.

But I can't get over the whole 100 tea bags in a box thing.  That's just crazy.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7005 on: June 26, 2019, 07:05:23 am »
    For future reference I will recommend ordering this box of tea from Amazon.

It's a really pleasant, fairly inexpensive tea and you can get single boxes of just 20 bags (and each are individually packaged within).  I use this brand often to make iced tea for DH as he likes lemon/lime in his tea and isn't the tea snob I am :D .  All you'd have to add is the honey to get your throat-soothing toddy out of it.  8)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7006 on: June 26, 2019, 07:28:56 am »
    We are in Texas Andra. Everything is bigger in Texas.  ;D

Of course with HEB's pretty low prices you are getting 100 for $3.48.  :P

Still waiting for an Aldi down here. Everyone is scared of HEB.

Little tip, if you need smaller sizes and have a Indian store nearby, try them. Mine always have a bunch of different tea bags there, among the CTC teas they use for Chai. They have the basic british brands there like Lipton. And PG Tips, don't forget PG tips.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7007 on: June 26, 2019, 07:50:40 am »
    If folks are making a half-gallon to a gallon of plain or sweet iced tea every day, you'll go through a minimum of 180 "regular" tea bags a month.  That box of 100 is just a couple of weeks worth of cheap tea that folks drink in quantity every darn day.  But even the small boxes of 15-20 tea bags of generic black tea from your grocery will do the trick if you are doctoring it anyway.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7008 on: June 26, 2019, 02:09:45 pm »
    We are in Texas Andra. Everything is bigger in Texas.  ;D

Of course with HEB's pretty low prices you are getting 100 for $3.48.  :P

Still waiting for an Aldi down here. Everyone is scared of HEB.

Little tip, if you need smaller sizes and have a Indian store nearby, try them. Mine always have a bunch of different tea bags there, among the CTC teas they use for Chai. They have the basic british brands there like Lipton. And PG Tips, don't forget PG tips.

I forgot about PG Tips.  That one is on a different aisle and I didn't even look there.
    I had a friend at work who had some Lipton in her stuff and she shared a few with me.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7009 on: June 27, 2019, 09:05:11 am »
    For future reference I will recommend ordering this box of tea from Amazon.

It's a really pleasant, fairly inexpensive tea and you can get single boxes of just 20 bags (and each are individually packaged within).  I use this brand often to make iced tea for DH as he likes lemon/lime in his tea and isn't the tea snob I am :D .  All you'd have to add is the honey to get your throat-soothing toddy out of it.  8)

I think you've mentioned that brand before.  I found a stash of assorted flavors at the house and some of them were the lemon.  They work well with the honey - thanks!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7010 on: June 27, 2019, 04:37:16 pm »
    I think you've mentioned that brand before.  I found a stash of assorted flavors at the house and some of them were the lemon.  They work well with the honey - thanks!

I probably have.  When I find something that gives me a consistent result, I tend to stick with it forever and I've been ordering this flavor for a while.  I also think the Ahmad bagged teas are a higher quality than the "everyday" brands.

I'm glad you found some and they worked for you.  Anytime you just need a few, send me a PM and I'll get some in the mail to you!  :-*

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7011 on: June 28, 2019, 09:39:25 am »
    I probably have.  When I find something that gives me a consistent result, I tend to stick with it forever and I've been ordering this flavor for a while.  I also think the Ahmad bagged teas are a higher quality than the "everyday" brands.

I'm glad you found some and they worked for you.  Anytime you just need a few, send me a PM and I'll get some in the mail to you!  :-*

Thanks!  I went ahead and ordered a full box of the lemon flavor so hopefully I am set for a while.  I'm ready to go back to drinking tea WITHOUT honey, and then I can go back to my Mighty Leaf Brazilian Fruit Black tea that I really like.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
    • To boldly split infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Official Website of William D. Richards
    « Reply #7012 on: July 04, 2019, 07:03:02 am »
    I thought this was amusing. 
    I've been fighting a cough for going on six weeks now...

Several years ago, I came down with a cold that left me with a nagging cough for nearly three months. What finally nixed it was a prescription for Tessalon Perles. Prescription only, for good reason! It did the job nicely.

Since then, when faced with a cough that wouldn't go away, I found that Ricola makes a cough drop called "HoneyLemon with Echinacea." I've found it highly effective at quashing that %#@!-ing tickle in the throat. Very helpful when I'm at an event where I have to speak or be quiet because someone else is speaking.

Back to teas, I have found I like drinking various decaffeinated or herbal lemon teas to which I'll mix in a teaspoon or so of honey. I'll usually drink these while I'm in the throes of a cold, but usually stop after the cold is over. (By that point, I've hydrated with so much lemon tea, I'm kind of sick of the taste.)  ;D
    Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
    William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7013 on: July 25, 2019, 06:08:25 am »
    I'm about half-way through a 6-cup pot of my latest tea obsession, Wuyi Rock tea, which is unsmoked lapsang souchong.  I'm a big fan.  A small container with the last of my Lemon Hibiscus leaves is cold-brewing in the refrigerator.

My tea supplies are getting low (Cream Assam jar is currently empty!   :o  ), but I'm planning a short trip to my sister's Saturday-Wednesday and will be able to restock at Gongfu while I am there. 

I also have a container of Tao of Tea Rose Petal Black being delivered from Amazon tomorrow.  Mixing it with an organic puer tuocha is a pretty perfect substitute for the Rose tuos GF no longer carries.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7014 on: July 25, 2019, 08:32:43 am »
    Several years ago, I came down with a cold that left me with a nagging cough for nearly three months. What finally nixed it was a prescription for Tessalon Perles. Prescription only, for good reason! It did the job nicely.

Since then, when faced with a cough that wouldn't go away, I found that Ricola makes a cough drop called "HoneyLemon with Echinacea." I've found it highly effective at quashing that %#@!-ing tickle in the throat. Very helpful when I'm at an event where I have to speak or be quiet because someone else is speaking.

Back to teas, I have found I like drinking various decaffeinated or herbal lemon teas to which I'll mix in a teaspoon or so of honey. I'll usually drink these while I'm in the throes of a cold, but usually stop after the cold is over. (By that point, I've hydrated with so much lemon tea, I'm kind of sick of the taste.)  ;D

Thanks!  I actually have the Perles, but for some reason they weren't working very well this time.
    The various teas with honey helped more than anything else.

I am back to my Brazilian Fruit black tea in the mornings.  I'm going to end up ordering from the Canadian branch of Mighty Leaf Tea since they still carry it.  Have I mentioned that I'm tired of coffee companies purchasing tea companies and destroying them?

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7015 on: July 27, 2019, 12:18:34 pm »
    I'm about half-way through a 6-cup pot of my latest tea obsession, Wuyi Rock tea, which is unsmoked lapsang souchong.  I'm a big fan.  A small container with the last of my Lemon Hibiscus leaves is cold-brewing in the refrigerator.

My tea supplies are getting low (Cream Assam jar is currently empty!   :o  ), but I'm planning a short trip to my sister's Saturday-Wednesday and will be able to restock at Gongfu while I am there. 

I also have a container of Tao of Tea Rose Petal Black being delivered from Amazon tomorrow.  Mixing it with an organic puer tuocha is a pretty perfect substitute for the Rose tuos GF no longer carries.
    I don't recall if I ever tried the Wuyi. You haven't steered me wrong yet so I'll add some of that in my next gongfu order.

I have started up with the sticky rice puerh after taking a break from that addiction.  ;D. Been on a darjeeling and chai kick for a while from the Vahdam site. Its why I haven't placed my gongfu order yet. Trying not to have too many teas in the house at once.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7016 on: July 30, 2019, 01:28:54 pm »
    I don't recall if I ever tried the Wuyi. You haven't steered me wrong yet so I'll add some of that in my next gongfu order.

I have started up with the sticky rice puerh after taking a break from that addiction.  ;D. Been on a darjeeling and chai kick for a while from the Vahdam site. Its why I haven't placed my gongfu order yet. Trying not to have too many teas in the house at once.

I'm all stocked up again for a few months!  I did remember to get a small bag of the Summertime Blend to try cold brewed, it smells wonderful in the bag, but I haven't tried it yet.

The Wuyi Rock tea is a semi-recent addition at GF, it's not listed in their August 2018 catalog (which is where I have all my tasting notes listed :) ), but is in the current catalog.  I think when I was in there a few months ago I just asked them about an unsmoked lapsang and they said this is it!  I'm not, as you know, real good with tasting notes, but I'll try by saying this black tea tastes a little of minerals and has a cocoa note to it (not saying chocolate as that implies sweet to me).  I like it so well that I bought a 6-oz bag this time.  Definitely try it with your next order.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7017 on: July 30, 2019, 04:12:20 pm »
    Last time you told us about a tea you loved loved loved I got 3 bags. That was the sticky rice. So I am not afraid to buy a pack of the wuyi  ;D

Notes, yes the notes. You should see me being all silly with my wines and coffees. I love wine and coffee, but the tasting notes usually go over my head so I always come up with some weird stuff just because.  8). Then after I read the description and we get a laugh all over again. You know with wine especially when I am suppose to taste the unicorn farts covered with grassy strawberries, or some thing. Those are the thing I come up with.  :P. Usually after a couple of glasses.  ;D

I do understand the mineral tasting note though. Its one of those that is hard to explain but the word really does describe it once you know. Same with cocoa. Its not chocolate, cocoa by itself really doesn't taste or smell anything like choco so it too makes sense. I am really intrigued by that tea since I really don't like the super smokey lapsang. That stuff is like ham that has been hanging in the chimney of a troll for way too long under the bridge. I bought some for hubby once, who likes it, and the tin I used was forever be known as the smoked tin. Not usable for anything else anymore.

Totally getting that Wuyi. Probably by mid to end august is when I am up for an order at gong fu. Have to get my basics there like milk oolong and a couple of other things. 

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7018 on: July 30, 2019, 05:14:31 pm »
    Last time you told us about a tea you loved loved loved I got 3 bags. That was the sticky rice. So I am not afraid to buy a pack of the wuyi  ;D

Notes, yes the notes. You should see me being all silly with my wines and coffees. I love wine and coffee, but the tasting notes usually go over my head so I always come up with some weird stuff just because.  8). Then after I read the description and we get a laugh all over again. You know with wine especially when I am suppose to taste the unicorn farts covered with grassy strawberries, or some thing. Those are the thing I come up with.  :P. Usually after a couple of glasses.  ;D

I do understand the mineral tasting note though. Its one of those that is hard to explain but the word really does describe it once you know. Same with cocoa. Its not chocolate, cocoa by itself really doesn't taste or smell anything like choco so it too makes sense. I am really intrigued by that tea since I really don't like the super smokey lapsang. That stuff is like ham that has been hanging in the chimney of a troll for way too long under the bridge. I bought some for hubby once, who likes it, and the tin I used was forever be known as the smoked tin. Not usable for anything else anymore.

Totally getting that Wuyi. Probably by mid to end august is when I am up for an order at gong fu. Have to get my basics there like milk oolong and a couple of other things. 

This totally made me laugh.  DH and I took a wine-tasting class with some friends.  We had some sort of white wine one night, I don't even remember what it was, and we had to go around giving our tasting thoughts.  When they got to me, I said, "It tastes like dirty gym socks smell."  :D  At least it turned out that multiple people agreed with me but were afraid to say it out loud ...

I could see the Wuyi becoming a daily drinker. 8)

I don't like the regular smoked lapsang either and completely agree with your assessment.  I don't want to drink a smoking campfire.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7019 on: July 30, 2019, 06:16:55 pm »
    I think it would be fun having a wine tasting with you crebel. I have a feeling we would come up with some very interesting notes.  ;D

Way back, many moons ago I had one of those medieval wine tastings in a medieval german village. In the cellar. I think most of the classmates were around 17-18, I was 21. They kept bringing out the wines to taste and at some point, everything tasted like wet dog. Mostly white wines. It was all wet dog. I never had a dog so I just assumed that was what wet dog smells or tastes like. Wine had all those fruit flavors and earth and stone and who knows what. But nope, we were all howling about the wet dog.

We were all so wasted at that point, not on purpose, but heck, you keep "tasting" wine, after a while you just give in. That bus ride back home was verrrry interesting  ;D

PSA: at that time in germany, drinking age was 16 and driving age was 18. Just to clarify. We had a school trip for wine tasting in a medieval village.  8)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7020 on: August 04, 2019, 08:37:00 am »
    This morning I am enjoying a pot of Lords and Ladies blend from GF.  Just a good "plain" black tea blend of Ceylon, Darjeeling, and Assam.  You don't have to think about tasting notes or anything else with this tea, it's going to taste the same every time, like tea ...  Like the Lipton, PG Tips, Red Rose, etc. of your younger years only higher quality. That's what I wanted today - just tea. :)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7021 on: August 04, 2019, 11:42:52 am »
    I had the Lord and ladies before. Your description is spot on. Its tea for when you just want tea. Uncomplicated, strong, solid, hits the spot type of tea. PG tips without the dust and stained teeth.  ;D

I really have to make a list for my next GF order. I'll just go backwards in the thread here as a reminder.  :P

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7022 on: August 11, 2019, 07:13:55 am »
    Weather forecasters have described today as muggy and sticky - thus I decided a pot of sticky rice tea was appropriate this morning.  Still love this stuff. :D

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7023 on: August 11, 2019, 08:34:23 am »
    Lets see

Sticky? check check
    Muggy? check check check check
    102 today? sigh

I think I'll join you today. I'll be making a whole put with 2 of the pucks. Or 3 actually and then I'll resteep and refill my thermos.
    I still love that one too. Are you still buying the one from Stash? Or did you find another one.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7024 on: August 11, 2019, 09:48:34 am »
    Lets see

Sticky? check check
    Muggy? check check check check
    102 today? sigh

I think I'll join you today. I'll be making a whole put with 2 of the pucks. Or 3 actually and then I'll resteep and refill my thermos.
    I still love that one too. Are you still buying the one from Stash? Or did you find another one.

Still buying from Stash with occasional purchases at GF just because it's there.  I use three with my infuser in my 6-cup pot and then resteep once in my 4-cup pot.   

KBoards.com

• Advertisement