Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 435697 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #7025 on: August 12, 2019, 01:26:59 pm »
last night I sat outside at 7 pm with a nice hot mug of sticky rice. The temperature was still at 103 at that time, although in shade. Not that that helps much. Call my stubborn. I am tired of not being able to sit outside. I had my tea, read some of my book with my sweaty hands until I was hot and wet. I went straight into a cold shower.  ;D

I lasted about 35 minutes before I felt like something was sitting on my chest and my head felt like the size of a medicine ball. I managed to make 2 pots with the 2 pucks yesterday. So 4 cups twice. It can be steeped a third time, but I couldn't handle anymore bodyheat yesterday.  :-\ Someone in the house might have told me I lost my marbles.  8)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7026 on: September 07, 2019, 07:08:28 am »
    I have just an overnight trip to Des Moines scheduled today, so I will get in a stop at Gong Fu.  I'm still pretty well stocked up on most stuff, but I have been going through the Wuyi Rock tea like crazy.  As I said in an earlier post, it is my current obsession and has become my most frequently brewed tea, even topping the Cream Assam.

I haven't received an email from them to say so, but I'm hoping the Holiday Blend may be in stock already (probably not before next month, though).

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7027 on: September 07, 2019, 01:22:20 pm »
    Wow, even topping your beloved cream assam? High praise, high praise indeed.  ;D

I got it on my list, but will be another month or so before I'll order.

I don't want to think of holiday time yet. Its still 95+ degrees around here.  :-X

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #7028 on: September 08, 2019, 07:09:23 am »
    I've never heard of Wuyi Rock or Cream Assam teas. Thanks for the recommendations, it's always fun to try something new. It's hot here too, but it's never too hot for tea. I have to have a hot cup of green tea to function each morning.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7029 on: September 08, 2019, 07:12:13 am »
    I never got the ice tea thing, so tea must be hot for me. And coffee. Doesn't matter how hot it is outside and it it is still in the mid to upper 90's here. Just something about that warm tea going down into all my pores. So soothing.

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #7030 on: September 08, 2019, 07:40:25 am »
    I agree. Hot tea drinking creates a zen-like moment. It also energizes me, so it's the perfect way to start the day.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7031 on: September 08, 2019, 11:00:42 am »
    I am home again, home again, and started a fresh pot of tea as soon as I walked in the door - the Wuyi Rock tea, of course :)  I didn't realize until I was looking at yesterday's receipt that, amazingly, this may be one of the least expensive teas in the shop at $3/oz!!  I honestly thought he had given me a frequent customer discount or something until I got home and looked it up. My taste buds don't usually gravitate toward less expensive, know what I mean?  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7032 on: September 22, 2019, 06:45:24 am »
    This morning I tried rebrewing an infuser basket of the Wuyi Rock tea because I thought the leaves looked like they had some more unfurling to do.

Nope, nuh-uh, nada, zip.  I have a pot of tasteless, brownish, hot water.  I know many/most black teas don't rebrew very well with western-style brewing.  You can add this to a don't bother to rebrew list!

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7033 on: September 22, 2019, 08:37:16 am »
    Yikes. I have had quite a few of those brown waters myself over the years, so I feel ya. But we still try. I think I only managed to rebrew a couple of black teas in the past, but I don't remember now what they were.

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #7034 on: September 22, 2019, 09:31:01 am »
    I have had unsuccessful rebrews as well. Green tea and hibiscus both seem to rebrew much better than black tea.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7035 on: September 22, 2019, 10:34:05 am »
    I get much better results cold brewing spent black leaves overnight for iced tea. I'm sure part of that is 10-12 hours of brewing time and the fact I'm using 6-cups worth of tea leaves in a 4-cup jar.  The unsmoked lapsang does not sound appealing to me as a cold tea, though.

Plus, like so many of you, I always have a pot of hot tea brewing regardless of the outside temperatures and only occasionally drink cold tea at home.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
    • To boldly split infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Official Website of William D. Richards
    « Reply #7036 on: September 27, 2019, 09:59:53 am »
    My favorite tea, hands down, is Bigelow's Constant Comment, a black tea blend. It makes an awesome iced tea, even from the second brewing.

For my daily routine, after I've brewed and poured out my morning tea, I'll come back later and pour another load of hot water on it. I'll let in brew for about twice as long as I did my morning tea ('bout 10 minutes) and then pour it over ice. It makes a fantastic iced tea, and the second brewing tends to bring out the clove flavor.

I find I prefer my iced tea not to be too strong, letting the ice melt and dilute it a bit for a lighter, more refreshing drink. The brewed iced tea you get in restaurants tends to be left brewing so long, it is as strong as a cup of coffee and more bitter than refreshing.
    Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
    William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7037 on: October 25, 2019, 08:09:50 am »
    Well, although I drink hot tea even in 100 degrees, which its been for like 3 months. We had a cold front coming in getting us down to the 40's in the morning. And it is kind of nice to drink tea when its nippy. Its also crazy windy and wet. I am awaiting my order from TeaGschwendner. I had to stock up again on some of the flavored kind i like from there. Fall and winter is when I like drinking the flavored stuff. I got some of the fall collection like plum cinnamon, autumn, trying their new hemp herbal. Old standards like marzipan and mango and I am getting the nutella tea. Since I can't eat it anymore.

I am about to make a cup of something. I think a nice chai tea from vadahm will hit the spot. I do start my day with a cup of coffee, then switch to tea. Sometimes I'll have another cup of coffee in the afternoon.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7038 on: October 27, 2019, 03:08:54 pm »
    I am having a 4-cup pot of a tea brought to me this morning by a friend who receives a fair amount of tea gifts from Chinese students at the University where she works.

I have no clue what the tea is from the packaging, but I'm going to say some sort of rolled oolong or maybe a raw puer.  I brewed it for 3 minutes with just under boiling water and it is very tasty.  Light green, a little vegetal,a little spicy, sort of like a milk oolong but a spice taste rather than the milk taste.

After the meetings today where the friend brought me several teas (there's at least one sticky rice mini tuocha and 4 unknown 1-pot sealed bags), DH and I returned home to get walkway storm windows up because the forecasters are predicting at least 2" of snow tomorrow night and more on Wednesday.  Holy cow, I know it's Iowa, but it's still October.  Could be a bad winter.

I'm supposed to leave for my sister's on Tuesday afternoon for the rest of the week and to pick up DH from the airport Sunday after he drives MIL to Florida for the winter.  I'll have to do a serious stock up at Gong-fu in case I'm stuck at home until spring ...

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #7039 on: October 27, 2019, 04:03:23 pm »
    I am having a 4-cup pot of a tea brought to me this morning by a friend

That's the stuff of dreams, crebel! In fact, I'll fantasize about it for just a moment. What the heck, I'll even add the scones, sandwiches and sweets thing... on a London tour bus.

*fistbumps WDR for the Constant Comment love*

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7040 on: October 27, 2019, 05:04:59 pm »
    Tea bus, I love it. I'll have to take in the scones in virtual form though. Nobody every brings me tea.  :(

crebel, are you expecting snowcopalypse until spring? We had a bad winter last year, I don't want one of those this time. Bad winter is early freeze in November and a late freeze in April. Did a number on my poor grapefruits. We also had like 4 months of 100 degrees with no rain. I wish we could just have some fall. But no, we have to go from gates of hades to  cold front. Cold front here is 40's, low 40's and possible mid 30's mid week.

No matter the weather, I'll drink my hot tea. i am working my way through my nice TG teas. Hazelnut chocolate, plum cinnamon, autumn spice, marzipan, mango, keemun, Hemp tea, jasmin and pumpkin spice. They are all delicious. I love how TG doesn't overdo the flavorings and they are more subtle and elegant. And they use a good tea base.

I am still refusing to turn the heater one. So we went down the the 40's and 50's. But I can heat inside with sun coming in. Its still in the 60's inside in the morning so not bad. Back to 70's I think. This is so Texas. The panhandle had snow for crying out loud, while we still had 80's weather.

But I can finally do yardwork without dying of a heatstroke. Its like a jungle out there.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7041 on: October 27, 2019, 06:40:46 pm »
    Tea bus, I love it. I'll have to take in the scones in virtual form though. Nobody every brings me tea.:(

crebel, are you expecting snowcopalypse until spring?** We had a bad winter last year, I don't want one of those this time. Bad winter is early freeze in November and a late freeze in April. Did a number on my poor grapefruits. We also had like 4 months of 100 degrees with no rain. I wish we could just have some fall. But no, we have to go from gates of hades to  cold front. Cold front here is 40's, low 40's and possible mid 30's mid week.

No matter the weather, I'll drink my hot tea. i am working my way through my nice TG teas. Hazelnut chocolate, plum cinnamon, autumn spice, marzipan, mango, keemun, Hemp tea, jasmin and pumpkin spice. They are all delicious. I love how TG doesn't overdo the flavorings and they are more subtle and elegant. And they use a good tea base.

I am still refusing to turn the heater one. So we went down the the 40's and 50's. But I can heat inside with sun coming in. Its still in the 60's inside in the morning so not bad. Back to 70's I think. This is so Texas. The panhandle had snow for crying out loud, while we still had 80's weather.

But I can finally do yardwork without dying of a heatstroke. Its like a jungle out there.

*But friends do send you tea in the mail!  Oh, I guess that was coffee, sorry ...  :-*

**Entirely possible if it's starting this early,  The Farmer's Almanac does not sound promising.  We had almost a month of what I consider fall weather in between record heat and now early snow.  We turned the heat on a couple of weeks ago.  Lawd, I sound pretty whiny already, don't I?  ::)

I'm still drinking some of all the teas I have, but I make a big pot of the Wuyi Rock tea at least 4 days out of 7 now.  I think I'm going to buy at least 8 oz this time, maybe a pound.  It has absolutely replaced the Cream Assam as my favorite daily drinker.
    « Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 06:42:21 pm by crebel »

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7042 on: October 28, 2019, 07:13:09 am »
    *But friends do send you tea in the mail!  Oh, I guess that was coffee, sorry ...  :-*

**Entirely possible if it's starting this early,  The Farmer's Almanac does not sound promising.  We had almost a month of what I consider fall weather in between record heat and now early snow.  We turned the heat on a couple of weeks ago.  Lawd, I sound pretty whiny already, don't I?  ::)

I'm still drinking some of all the teas I have, but I make a big pot of the Wuyi Rock tea at least 4 days out of 7 now.  I think I'm going to buy at least 8 oz this time, maybe a pound.  It has absolutely replaced the Cream Assam as my favorite daily drinker.
    Yes they do crebel. To friends.  :-*

I am still planning on getting that Wuyi rock, I just had to replenish my flavor collection for fall first with TG. I could just get a large order with it and the milk oolong. Another staple for  me.

About the whiny sounding. All summer I been whining about how hot it was. Ugh, soaking hot. Now the first cold front came in I am whining about the winter already. Even though winter and early spring is about the only time we can actually do something outside without turning into jerky.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7043 on: October 29, 2019, 02:08:15 pm »
    4 flippin' inches of snow down home overnight, in October:o :o  I was up taking pictures of a winter wonderland at 3:00 a.m. so I'd have it date and time-stamped in my camera.  I don't believe we've had this much snow, this early, in Iowa in my lifetime and worse is expected tomorrow night.

On the bright side, all was melting pretty well by noon today and I headed on to the big city with a stop at Gong-Fu before going on to my sister's house.  I bought a full pound of Wuyi Rock tea!  I'm not going to run out of that for a few months if the snowpocalypse keeps me from travelling this winter! :D 

I asked how soon the Holiday Blend would be available.  Mrs. Mike told me it was in and not supposed to be out for sale until the 1st, but she sold it to me anyway since I was in town.  YAY!  For those who haven't tried this one, my best description is a cross between a spicy chai and Constant Comment (since it has orange peel in it).  This is a real cold-day-comfort tea.  I also restocked Sticky Rice and Lords & Ladies.  This could be the first time I've ever been in the shop without buying more Cream Assam, I still have about 4 oz. at home now that it's taken a back seat to the Wuyi.

I still have Milk Oolong, Red Plum, Himalayan, Nandi Hills, the 7 Sons Puerh, and Ginger Puerh at home as well so I really am stocked for the winter.  My tea cupboard is just about a Gong-Fu satellite shop ...

I can hibernate if I have to!  I won't even have to trek the half-mile driveway to get to the mailbox for an order.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7044 on: October 30, 2019, 08:56:11 am »
    Snowed in with lots of tea and a kindle. What else could one want  ;D

That is really early for that kind of snow, yikes. Is that just a foreshadow on a bad winter overall?

A lot of my flowering plants are just now really kicking it up. Drop in temps and some rain has really been super helpful after a 4 month drought with 100 degrees. But of course as soon as it gets nice out, there comes the first real coldfront this week. They say down to 34 degrees by thursday so close enough to freezing to potentially kill all my nice flowers  now.  :(. I got like 2 weeks of enjoyment of the outdoors. It was just to hot and humid from June all the way through September and part of october. I want a fall, a nice long fall. With temps in the 70's and mid 80's. That is it. But no, can't have nice things here in Texas.

Of course after the cold front it looks like the temps I want, but if it gets too cold my greenery will be not as nice anymore. Everything was really late in blooming and growing well. The heat really did a number on a lot of stuff.

Today will be a bit dreary so I'll be working through some nice flavored teas. Autumn spice, nutella, chai's.

I love how you found other teas to get addicted to as you were to the cream assam.  ;D

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7045 on: November 04, 2019, 05:39:08 pm »
    Firstly, thanks to the mostest awesome crebel, I have had the pleasure to drink the Wuyi rock tea she so loves from gong-fu tea. she is the best  :-*. can confirm, it is very good. Very "warm", deep tasting and not bitter at all. I managed to oversteep a later in the day cup and it was still perfect. Just stronger. Really nice tea. I also got to try the holiday and its also really nice. Especially this time of year. It reminds me a bit of the constant comment, but of better quality of course with it not being tea dust in a bag.  :P

So last year I missed the Tee Advent Kalender from teagschwendner. I was too late. So just today they have it in stock after I emailed and asked them about it. I just ordered it. It has 24 different teas behind doors and each makes 17 ounce of tea. So a different one for each of the 24 days.  ;D. Since I can't do chocolate anymore, which is usually in there, this is perfect. Its a bit steep in price, but it does make 24 times 17 ounces. And I have to have a Advent Kalender.  ;D

https://shop.tgtea.com/Tea-Advent-Calendar-11993/7440/

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7046 on: November 05, 2019, 11:23:27 am »
    So I got me one of those Zojirushi water boilers. Set it up and now I have 208 degrees water at the ready. I got this one which is a total entry level model. It had an extra $15 off when I got it and I had some points. I am thinking I should have probably gone a step up, but oh well. Already used it now.  :P. I'll run it through the winter and if I like the idea of it, I'll get a step up model like one with electric pump and more temps and bells and whistles. I had to figure out if I can even find a place for one. As I didn't want to put it under cabinets due to the steam. I am already concerned with my kettle. I don't want the cabinets to warp.

I been drinking mostly older teas for today because my taste buds are non existent today. My throat feels like I have a camel in it. Hair and all.  :-X

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #7047 on: November 05, 2019, 11:43:43 am »
    Atunah, Zojirushi can be pricey but they are good investments, IMO. They also make great rice cookers. I've had my water boiler for over ten years and it still works great. It's similar to this model, but - like yours - in the 2.2L size:

I use it for tea, yes, but also for instant oatmeals, soups, and cup-noodles. :)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7048 on: November 05, 2019, 12:07:57 pm »
    Probably only be used for tea here. I don't eat rice or cup noodles anymore. Low carb and all.  :P. But yes, would have been handy for the instant oatmeal back in the day. I like to drink a lot of different teas during fall and winter. Its when I stock up on the flavored stuff. And now I can have a smaller cup anytime I want, instead of having to make big mugs so I don't have to turn the kettle on so often.

So far so good. Its just sitting there, apparently at 208. I wonder how often it has to do the boiling again to keep at that temp. I haven't heard a sound yet in 2 hours. Maybe too quiet for me to hear. I hope I remember to unplug the magnetic plug each night. It doesn't have a on off and I guess its the same idea. If i have to remember the plug, I'd have to remember the on off also. Same difference.  8). It does have a shut off if water gets to low. And its a established brand so I believe it would work. Temp seems to work ok. I guess I been using 212 water on my black teas, even though my kettle actually says to use 200 for black tea. This says 208 and I stuck my meat thermometer into the stream and measured 202 so it seems to be where it needs to be.

Course by the time its in the cup steeping, its down to like 170. But that is always the case. I can't say if its extracting the tea as it should as I can't taste properly right now. It feels nice going down my throat and I can taste some of the flavorings. Using up some chai teas I already had and they are stronger flavored.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7049 on: November 06, 2019, 06:53:27 am »
    So i am able to taste a bit more today so I'll try some more teas. I have realized that I'll be needing a larger boiler pot than the one I got. 2.2 liter is not enough. I also want the one that has a auto timer to turn it off at night and turn itself back on in the morning. This one I have to pull the magnetic plug in the back. I know many folks keep them on 24/7 but my husband does not want and i don't really want it to keep the temp for overnight when its not needed. I jumped on this unit because of the deal it had and extra money off when I bought it. Since I used it already, I can't really return it so I'll keep it as a back up. Or I'll put it upstairs.

But in any case I am really loving this thing. I can make tea whenever I want without having to reheat my kettle again. And again. I am assuming that takes more electricity with the 1200 watts to keep doing that than the boiler.
    I also made aeropress coffee this morning with it. Worked great.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement