Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 435694 times)  

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #7050 on: November 06, 2019, 07:59:20 am »
I have had a water boiler at my desk at work for 6-7 years. It is a Panasonic and has the magnetic plug. I keep it plugged into a power strip and just turn the strip off when I leave.
The one at the house stays on all the time.
We have really enjoyed having hot water immediately whenever we want it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7051 on: November 06, 2019, 08:44:03 am »
    I have had a water boiler at my desk at work for 6-7 years. It is a Panasonic and has the magnetic plug. I keep it plugged into a power strip and just turn the strip off when I leave.
    The one at the house stays on all the time.
    We have really enjoyed having hot water immediately whenever we want it.
    Thats an option to with the power strip. Or I i could hook up a smart plug I guess and just tell alexa to turn it off. Not sure if it works with that, should though. I mean its on when plugged in and the smart plugs just turn the plug off. That way i can include it in the "Alexa turn the house off" command when we go to bed.  ;D

I went ahead and got the 4 liter one, the one made in Japan. I guess other models are made in china. Not sure it matters, but I also liked the silver color or that one. I have plenty of points still to use on my card and I already got the latest kindle so won't need them for that for a while.  :P

I probably should have kept the box and not used the other one to send back, but oh well. It wasn't that much and maybe hubby wants to take it to work.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7052 on: November 06, 2019, 05:59:31 pm »
    I got my new boiler  :o. Its a bit bigger than the other, taller a bit. Now, there is no way to put that under a cabinet. I have it in between 2 cutting boards on a counter that doesn't have cabinets over it. It is because you are suppose to have it a foot away from cabinets. It boils only when you put water in and steam comes out on the back top of lid. So I would not want it under my cabinets. They aren't the best builder quality as is and are probably just plywood on bottom. I don't want them to warp.

But wow its nice.  ;D. Hubby will probably take the other to work. He is thinking about it. He is liking it too. Just made his first cup with it.

I been  drinking my way through wuyi, holiday, milk oolong and lavender sencha today. Thanks to crebel.  :-*. That is why this water heater is so great. I can easily make a cup of this, then a cup of that.

Right now I am sipping some Marzipan from TG. Its one of my always in stock.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7053 on: November 07, 2019, 02:59:40 am »
    I'm so glad you are enjoying your new boilers!  It would be really convenient to have constant hot water available, but I do not have room for one single more appliance on my counters or in my cupboards.  I'll have to stick with my digital variable temperature hot water kettle. It takes 5 minutes or less to come to a full boil and then I make a 4 or 6 cup pot so I don't feel too time constrained with the wait.

I mentioned a few pages back that I mixed one part lavender sencha to three parts milk oolong in a 4-cup pot.  It's a really smooth and relaxing blend you should try that some time with your latest batch of teas, Atunah.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7054 on: November 07, 2019, 02:18:10 pm »
    Ohhhh, I am gonna try the milk oolong with the lavender sencha. That sounds like a neat combo.

You like to make pots at a time. So yeah, a kettle will be more useful I think in that case. I make cups at a time very often. And sometimes pots for hubby to take into his man cave. But I just like to switch it up constantly.

We basically used up most of the 4 liters last evening. Just the 2 of us.  :o. I think I had a liter left in the morning. So I am glad I got that size. I was waffling over getting the 3 or 4 liter. It has a timer so I set it to turn off for 8 hours last night and then in the morning it was ready again. I think I'll refill to full each time I set that sleep timer. That means it only has to boil water once in a day, saving electricity. Although it really doesn't use much. 52w. I calculated if I ran it for 24/7, it would use only 37kwh in a month. That is what I use on an average fall winter day. I think thats around 3 dollars a month or so. Not bad at all. Not sure how that compares to my kettle that uses I think 1200w and I used to reheat that thing all day long over and over. And it always goes to boil each time first.

Space was a bit tricky. I too have way to much gadgets on counter. Its not ideal, but the only place I could put it. I used to have my scale there before and I guess the footprint is about the same.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7055 on: November 08, 2019, 04:20:35 pm »
    I tried the milk ooling with lavender sencha and it is really good. I used a scale and made one mug. 3 grams of oolong and 1 gram sencha  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7056 on: November 09, 2019, 01:54:38 pm »
    I tried the milk ooling with lavender sencha and it is really good. I used a scale and made one mug. 3 grams of oolong and 1 gram sencha  ;D

I'm glad you enjoyed the combination.  The first time I tried it was when I had just a bare amount of the sencha left, not enough to make a mug/cupful on its own.  But, yes, my proportions were the basically the same, 3:1. :)  I think just adding a little culinary lavender to the milk oolong would probably give a similar result, but I haven't tried that yet.

Today I have been playing with the GF Holiday Blend.  It really seems a lot fruitier (almost boozy tasting to me) this year.  It didn't seem very "tea-like" when weighing usual amounts before brewing.  I think the amount of orange peel in particular means you need higher amounts to get enough leaf to taste like tea.  I instead have been doing half Irish Breakfast, half Holiday Blend and am much happier with the result.  Next time I intend to try the 3:1 ratio with Vadham Masala Chai being the larger amount to see if it's closer to that Chai/Constant Comment blend I remember it being in the past.  This year's blend is not something I would buy again to drink by itself.  :-\
    « Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 01:57:47 pm by crebel »

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7057 on: November 09, 2019, 07:16:24 pm »
    yes, it is a bit heavy on the orange I think. I noticed it the more I sipped it. It gets a bit overwhelming. Funny, I also put some basic black tea in it to cut down on that a bit, but to me that made it like black tea with a faint orange taste. I think you have a good idea mixing it with chai to give it some more base tones. I think I have some of the masala chai left. I'll try that. On its own its not a favorite of mine. First time I made it it smelled good and tasted fine, until I kept sipping. Maybe I'll just grab some chai spices out of my cupboard and make it more chai like. I have cloves and cardamon and cinamon.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7058 on: November 12, 2019, 05:43:40 am »
    Its freezing here  :o. I was suppose to be on the road,but had to delay those plans. Like  many others. Freezing rain and the City of San Antonio is basically shut down. I mean they literally closed the overpasses on the main highways. They had to do that because the cars kept piling up.

I was trying to cover my plants last night, but it was so gusty windy, like 40-50mph and my sheets were flying like sails in the air. So this morning, they are either still on the plants frozen stiff, or laying on the ground frozen stiff. had to go out to put the blue and green carts out.

Now I am trying to get warm with a nice milk oolong. I hope it clears up when i have to head out.

It is perfect tea weather though.

Offline Kindleing

• View Profile
    « Reply #7059 on: November 20, 2019, 08:18:36 pm »
    I like tea although I don't drink it often, so this thread has been interesting.  Today I got an email ad from World Spice Merchants in Seattle; I have ordered spices from them with good service.  Among other things they had a tea called "Mystic Licorice" that sounded interesting so I clicked through to their website.  After looking at a few other teas, I noticed a Pu-erh called "Camel's Breath Tuocha".  Now I've never met a camel face-to-face, but I have read about them.  I think I'll pass on this one.  If anybody tries it, let me know what you think.
    Kindle 3 WiFi & Kindle FireHD 8.9

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7060 on: November 22, 2019, 06:10:18 am »
    I like tea although I don't drink it often, so this thread has been interesting.  Today I got an email ad from World Spice Merchants in Seattle; I have ordered spices from them with good service.  Among other things they had a tea called "Mystic Licorice" that sounded interesting so I clicked through to their website.  After looking at a few other teas, I noticed a Pu-erh called "Camel's Breath Tuocha".  Now I've never met a camel face-to-face, but I have read about them.  I think I'll pass on this one.  If anybody tries it, let me know what you think.

Welcome, Kindleing!  I tried to go back through the zillions of past posts in this thread and find the places where we have discussed puerhs and Camel's Breath in particular, but mostly unsuccessful.  I know Camel's Breath tuochas are an offering at the tea store I frequent and MamaProfCrash (who was our tea guru here for many years) ordered and re-ordered this several times.  I may have even taken some to her at a Washington, D.C. meet-up of Kindleboarders back in the day.

I have come to like ripe puerh in particular, and this tea has an expected description of "earthy".  It's the additional descriptor of "briny" that has kept me from ever trying it!  Now that you've mentioned it again and my tea tastes have evolved over the years, maybe I'll get around to buying some next time I'm in the big city.  It may be one of those that is not a good entry point for a first-timer learning puerh tastes, but enjoyed greatly when you begin to appreciate some of the unique tastes available.  I'll let you know!

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #7061 on: November 22, 2019, 09:07:53 am »
    Thanks for sharing! I've never heard of Pu-erh tea, I thought kombucha was the only type of fermented tea. I look forward to trying some. My latest favorite is Harney and Sons raspberry tea.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7062 on: December 01, 2019, 08:14:42 am »
    Camels breath. I have met a camel face to face, but I can't recall if I was close enough to smell the breath. I was more concerned that I'd be spit on I think.  :-X

Wonder if there is some meaning behind it or just some cutesy naming at work here. I have ordered some pu-erh in the past from Pu-erh shop and yunnan sourcing. I also had the cake from gong fu and it was really good. Called Seven sons and it came in this really pretty box. It lasted forever so the price wasn't that big of a deal.

I just got tired of the mess of having to hack off pieces to drink each time and I think the small tuochas are handy for that. They usually make a couple of cups and I'll resteep those. 

Thanks for sharing! I've never heard of Pu-erh tea, I thought kombucha was the only type of fermented tea. I look forward to trying some. My latest favorite is Harney and Sons raspberry tea.
    I ordered from Harney's many times and they have some really nice teas. I mostly ordered black unflavored though so I never tried the raspberry.

I love this about tea. We try different once, fall in love with some here and there and there are always more to be discovered.Seems to be this almost endless variety out there. While I love having my favs around, its still so much fun finding more teas to add to those favs. Which is of course why I have a huge tea shelf.  ;D

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7063 on: December 01, 2019, 09:14:50 am »
    Teagschwendner had 15 percent off and free shipping from the 1st through the 4th. Code holiday19
    https://shop.tgtea.com/

I forgot to add that today I opened my first door in my tea Advents Calender.  ;D. Each door has 6.5 grams of tea for 2 cups of tea. The Calender and the tea inside is all written in german. They put a list and ingredients on the outside plastic which I didn't look at as I want to be surprised. But of course they  have to in order to import it.

But because its a german version, some of the teas might not be in the american store. They don't carry all the teas here in Chicago, where they are shipping from. So today's tea was such a tea. Its a herbal christmas tea and I am sipping it right now. Really good.  8)

I think this is even better than when I was a kid (and adult *caugh) and the calender had pieces of chocolate in it.

I am still decorating the tree and so will be sipping tea all day. I need to do the outside solar lights too on my evergreens. Its sunny, but a bit cooler than yesterday. It was actually hot in the 80's with full sun. Today its still full sun but in the 60's.
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:18:23 am by Atunah »

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7064 on: December 03, 2019, 12:47:10 pm »
    So yesterdays Advent tea was ginger orange black tea and today its tropical fire black tea. This is so much fun each morning to find out whats in it.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7065 on: December 12, 2019, 05:26:24 am »
    So yesterdays Advent tea was ginger orange black tea and today its tropical fire black tea. This is so much fun each morning to find out whats in it.  ;D

With 10 more days now, have you had anything really amazing?  Something you will consider putting into a regular rotation?

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7066 on: December 12, 2019, 07:53:55 am »
    Yes. Some of course I already have tried. But the china royal jasmine was really good today and I also liked the honeybush strawberry cream. Another that was just superb was the Assam Marangi. But that one is 31.95 for 100 grams so I might get it at some point with a discount code. I like that they are also putting in some higher priced ones to try. Oh, the Applestrudel rooibos was also really good, but its a seasonal and I have enough seasonal tea in stock for now.

Only baffling one so far was the ginger herbal tea. Its literally just ginger root. I haven't tried that one yet and I think I might mix it with something. Or maybe when I feel sick or something. 

Its so much fun each day to see what is behind the door.  ;D.

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #7067 on: December 15, 2019, 10:09:41 am »
    I've been wanting to try a jasmine tea. The honeybush strawberry cream sounds delightful. Applestrudel rooibos would be perfect for this time of year.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7068 on: December 17, 2019, 02:01:51 pm »
    I've been wanting to try a jasmine tea. The honeybush strawberry cream sounds delightful. Applestrudel rooibos would be perfect for this time of year.
    Applestrudel is really nice during the season. I love jasmine teas. Most of the vendors have at least one type of it. Some can be a bit overpowering though and cloying. I like the Teagschwendner versions, they have a couple and the jasmine dragon pearls I tried from Gongfu-tea are also very good.

So today's advent tea is sleepless sencha (#979) and it is so so good. I'll buy this one for sure. Its a mix of sencha, mate and guarana so it has 3 types of wake-up teas in it. I am having it now to give me a kick in the afternoon lull and its working. Not something I'd drink at night though.  8). It has a very gentle flavoring that goes really well with all 3 teas. i have had mate and guarana by itself before as my husband used to drink it a lot. Someone on the german TG site called it a energy drink in tea form. Its slightly lemony with something else which I assume is partly the orange peel and whatever natural flavors in it.

Will be in my next order for sure.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7069 on: December 26, 2019, 08:45:58 am »
    This was one of my Christmas gifts from DH.  A 12-oz stainless steel Tervis tumbler that is now my every day tea "cup"!  I think it is so pretty and it keeps my tea hot for hours if I get busy and don't get around to drinking it right away.

We've been fans of all kinds of Tervis glasses for a while, but this is the first time I had seen this size and shape.  I also like that it has a flip-up lid rather than the slide kind of opening since those can stain along the edges pretty easily and are harder (I think) to clean.

I also got a couple of Gong-Fu gift certificates so I can go shopping while staying at my sister's for the next week!!!

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #7070 on: December 26, 2019, 09:39:45 am »
    That is a pretty cup. Awesome gifts.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7071 on: December 26, 2019, 10:28:25 am »
    Ohhh, thats pretty crebel. Now you got me looking at all those designs. I already have a Zojirushi thermos, but Tervis has some neat designs. But I don't really need 2 thermo mugs. Or do I.  ;D

Santa brought my husband some gunpowder tea, which he loves and a new miracle tea maker as he wears his out fast. He lets tea steep at all times. i mean he'll have tea in from night before, comes home and reheats that stuff that's been in there for 24 hours steeping.  :o. Lets just say he does not ever need a scale or a timer for his tea. By the time he is done the tea turns into branches and regrows leaves.  :-X
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 10:31:52 am by Atunah »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7072 on: December 26, 2019, 07:42:45 pm »
    That is a pretty cup. Awesome gifts.

Thanks, Michelle.  Nice to hear from you, it's been a while!

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #7073 on: December 27, 2019, 04:54:32 pm »
    Yeah it has been a while. I don't check in as often as I used to. We moved a couple of months ago and then we finally got Bella's umbilical hernia fixed and had her spayed and spent a few weeks babying her while she recovered enough resume her normal activity of racing up and down the stairs a million times a day.

It has been forever since I've ordered a new tea, or any tea.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7074 on: January 01, 2020, 07:07:06 am »
    My sister took me to Gong Fu on Monday afternoon and with Christmas gift certificates in hand I got my largest single haul of teas!  I stocked up on all my usual teas in amounts from 4 oz to a full pound of Wuyi Rock. 

I got the Wuyi, Cream Assam, Sticky Rice, Nandi Hills, Lords & Ladies, Red Plum, Milk Oolong, Lavender Sencha, Irish Breakfast, Organic Puerh tuos, Genmatcha (however you spell that one, with the little toasted rice in it) AND a nest of Camel's Breath!  I think I'm set for a bit if winter weather keeps me from the big city for a while!

I don't know what to call the Camel's breath besides a "nest"; it isn't a single-serving mini, it isn't a large cake, but about 3-4" round and a fairly deep bowl shape.  It is really densely packed and formed, I'll have to wait until I get home to pick/pry some off and weigh.  It smells good, earthy like you might expect, and was only $12 for the nest.  I'll let you know what I think of the taste some time next week!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement