Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 432090 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #7125 on: August 28, 2020, 11:00:17 am »
So I got some unsweetened Soy milk and I'll be making some chai tea on the stovetop. I'll report back when I tried it. I think I'll use the Vahdam instructions for it.

eta: yum  ;D. Instructions I find out there are 1 cup water, one cup milk 1-3 TB tea and spices. I am using already mixed chai tea from Vahdam so I just used a nice TB of tea. And I just put it in saucepan and slowly brought it to a steam type, not boil, just to where it starts to do its thing. I let it sit there for at least 10 minutes, probably more like 20. They say some keep it for hours on warm and the more flavorful it gets. I put in 2 ts of swerve, which acts like sugar. All in the saucepan, including sugar. Really came out good. Next time I'll add some vanilla into it. Got plenty of that for cookie baking.

I just strain it over a little strainer into the cup. Oh and I used 2 cups of soy milk instead of 1 water and 1 milk. Just cause I misread the recipe and had already poured it in. I think that makes me more like a latte that way. I'll do the water next time to compare.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:40:52 am by Atunah »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #7126 on: August 29, 2020, 03:27:20 pm »
    I've had both water and milk chai teas in coffee shops. Chai tea is the only type of tea that I think needs some type of milk to shine. The ratios of ingredients must differ a lot for different brands. I haven't had any luck with the liquid mixes. I'm thinking about trying the all-in-one powder Big Train chai. Has anyone tried this before? I may try Vahdam tea too since you had good results with it. Atunah, your description of the hazelnut Teagschwendner tea got me. I have to have it.

Offline Louise Bates

• View Profile
    « Reply #7127 on: Yesterday at 07:01:10 am »
    My struggle with making chai lattes at home is using enough milk to get the creamy flavor and texture, but not so much that it interferes with the tea's ability to steep properly--but reading these posts is enough to make me want to try again!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7128 on: Yesterday at 08:40:06 pm »
    Off topic:  Louise, your name is the same as my late grandmother's. Bates was her married name, my mother Eleanor's maiden name. Died in 1940, so I never got to meet her.

OK, back to tea. I will stand back.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

KBoards.com

• Advertisement