Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 432208 times)  

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2009, 12:59:55 pm »
Solarraven: I tend to find traditional Earl Grey too strong myself. I am Drinking Earl Grey Imperior without any problems (Tea Gschwender) and Earl Grey Creamer (Teavana) without any problems. There are many variations on Earl Grey. Lady Grey is actually pretty yummy.

It sounds like you have an interesting collection of teas. The Rishi Silver Needle tea sounds good.

Drink healthy White Teas from Teavana

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:07:17 pm by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: May 29, 2009, 02:25:16 pm »
    None of them sound like what you are describing. Sorry. It could have been a store specific blend. I took a stroll through the Edmond's tea at Gschwender, they are the high end premium teas, and didn't find any with blue mallow.

Did the blue flower in it look like what you remember? It could be that I have misidentified the blue flower.

I think you got the right blue flower!  There can't be many that, when dried, retain that bright blue color.  Maybe a store-specific blend, I guess....  I haven't had a chance to look further because we lost power in this area for a few hours today, so scheduling (and therefore computer time) is a bit off today.
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: May 29, 2009, 02:34:37 pm »
    Solarraven...sounds like you have a pretty good tea stash.  Do you dry the herbs and flowers from your garden before you put them in your tea...if so how do you do that? 

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: May 29, 2009, 02:49:40 pm »
    What a wonderful thread!  I love tea - esp the black teas.  My very favorite is Earl Grey Double Bergamot, which I have to order on amazon and it comes 6 boxes at a time, so it lasts me awhile.  There is a little British store down in San Clemente where I love to get Scottish breakfast tea and Yorkshire tea.
    As far as accompaniments, I love to use my good china teapots - I have 3 that I routinely use, along with matching tea cups.  And I bought some old sterling teaspoons on ebay, quite reasonably, that i also use.  I guess it's my little morning routine, that I share with my two daughters.
    Funny, they bring their girlfriends over and ask me to make them tea - I'll make them 2 or 3 pots full and they sit around and drink it!

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: May 29, 2009, 02:57:37 pm »
    Funny, they bring their girlfriends over and ask me to make them tea - I'll make them 2 or 3 pots full and they sit around and drink it!

That sounds so cozy  --  how old are your daughters?  (wondering whether that's a habit I can encourage here...)
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: May 29, 2009, 03:01:22 pm »
    What a wonderful thread!  I love tea - esp the black teas.  My very favorite is Earl Grey Double Bergamot, which I have to order on amazon and it comes 6 boxes at a time, so it lasts me awhile.  There is a little British store down in San Clemente where I love to get Scottish breakfast tea and Yorkshire tea.
    As far as accompaniments, I love to use my good china teapots - I have 3 that I routinely use, along with matching tea cups.  And I bought some old sterling teaspoons on ebay, quite reasonably, that i also use.  I guess it's my little morning routine, that I share with my two daughters.
    It's the simple things like drinking tea in the mornings with you that your daughters will always remember.  I love that.

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: May 29, 2009, 03:27:24 pm »
    I have 100.00 Amazon GC burning a hole in my pocket now and I can't figure out what to spend it on. I'm not buying tea from them and I really don't need anymore anyway. I've got over a dozen full jars and a at least that many small sample bags.

I'm tempted to get the hot water boiler/dispenser but that will just feed my desire for a new cast iron tea pot and more tea cup accessories LOL

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: May 29, 2009, 03:30:50 pm »
    One is s senior in high school, the other a sophomore.  The senior - usually I fix her tea in a travel mug and she grabs it on the way out the door, drinks it in class.  Her friends are the ones most likely to come over and sit around the kitchen table with tea.
    My sophomore - I fix her tea and set it on the counter in the bathroom right before I get her up, so she goes in there and has it as she gets ready.
    That's our hectic lives.  On weekends though, we are more likely to sit at breakfast and drink it together!

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: May 29, 2009, 03:35:49 pm »

That sounds nice.  I'm hoping we'll get there... mine's only six and I've told her she can try green tea anytime (thinking she's probably not ready for black, with the caffeine), but so far there's no interest at all.
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: May 29, 2009, 03:42:30 pm »
    I hate to admit it, but I made my daughters' tea a little sweet.... to encourage them. 
    I don't think they started liking tea till they were in 7th or 8th grades.

Carol Hanrahan

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: May 29, 2009, 03:43:29 pm »
    I have 100.00 Amazon GC burning a hole in my pocket now and I can't figure out what to spend it on. I'm not buying tea from them and I really don't need anymore anyway. I've got over a dozen full jars and a at least that many small sample bags.

I'm tempted to get the hot water boiler/dispenser but that will just feed my desire for a new cast iron tea pot and more tea cup accessories LOL

Far be it from me to suggest something other then tea but how about books? (grins) Or a Zarafina Tea Machine

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: May 29, 2009, 03:45:29 pm »
    What a wonderful thread!  I love tea - esp the black teas.  My very favorite is Earl Grey Double Bergamot, which I have to order on amazon and it comes 6 boxes at a time, so it lasts me awhile.  There is a little British store down in San Clemente where I love to get Scottish breakfast tea and Yorkshire tea.
    As far as accompaniments, I love to use my good china teapots - I have 3 that I routinely use, along with matching tea cups.  And I bought some old sterling teaspoons on ebay, quite reasonably, that i also use.  I guess it's my little morning routine, that I share with my two daughters.

Welcome.

OK, I have to ask: Bagged tea or loose leaf?

It sounds like you are helping your daughters develop a health morning routine!

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: May 29, 2009, 03:49:28 pm »
    I have to confess, usually it's bagged.
    Now I do like loose leaf, and I have purchased some silver tea strainers (I am REALLY bad about the antique English sterling stuff), but then the tea sometimes gets too strong and/or a little bitter towards the end of the teapot.  So that's why I go with the teabags, I can pop them out after so many minutes.  Into the compost container.  :)

Carol Hanrahan

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: May 29, 2009, 03:52:10 pm »
    I have to confess, usually it's bagged.
    Now I do like loose leaf, and I have purchased some silver tea strainers (I am REALLY bad about the antique English sterling stuff), but then the tea sometimes gets too strong and/or a little bitter towards the end of the teapot.  So that's why I go with the teabags, I can pop them out after so many minutes.  Into the compost container.  :)

Might I suggest a basket infuser. You can set it inside the tea pot and then pull it out at the right time. The tea does not taste bitter.

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: May 29, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »
    I know about those.  Can you really tell the difference between bagged and loose?  Also, about how much does a basket infuser hold?  I usually put at least 2 bags in a teapot, and sometimes three.

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: May 29, 2009, 04:05:53 pm »
    Far be it from me to suggest something other then tea but how about books? (grins) Or a Zarafina Tea Machine

Yeah, I do have a tea book on one of my wishlists. I really don't "need" another Zarafina. I kinda wanted a bigger ticket new gadget to play with.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:08:17 pm by Harvey »

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #91 on: May 29, 2009, 05:14:32 pm »
    Harvey, you crack me up! ;)
    YAY!  Hi gang.  Happy to have found the thread, I was thinking the other (coffee/tea) thread had gotten slow lately.  Thanks for letting me know there's a new thread, Crash!

I have just ordered my THIRD Zarafina and I'm blaming Crash AND Cowgirl.  I love the one I got for my office so I am taking the one I got for my DD for Christmas and using it at home.  This third one will be the Christmas gift.  She'll love it.

Someone else mentioned (Cowgirl?) that the tea cools much faster and I did notice that.  Wonder why that is?  Does the machine wait until it's cool enough to drink before it dispenses? 

I have to find ways to amuse myself as I do my morning rounds, adding links here and there!  :D
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: May 29, 2009, 05:26:47 pm »
    I know about those.  Can you really tell the difference between bagged and loose?  Also, about how much does a basket infuser hold?  I usually put at least 2 bags in a teapot, and sometimes three.

Check Tea Gschwender's web page. They have many sizes of infuser baskets. The other possibility is to use filters and pull the filter.

In my opinion, loose leaf tea tastes a great deal better then bagged tea. Loose leaf tea, especially the stuff from the better stores, is a higher quality leaf. Most of the tea in bagged teas is the tea deemed to be too broken or not good enough to sell as loose leaf. So you start with a better quality of tea.

As I understand it (and this is research from the net and tea sites) the loose leaf tea leaves retain more of the natural oils then the broken bits found in the bags. So you get more of the natural flavors and more of the stuff that is good for you from the loose leaf tea then from bags. Plus, loose leaf tends to be cheaper per cup because you are not paying for the packaging and you are buying in bulk.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: May 29, 2009, 10:14:37 pm »
    Crash...you converted me!

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: May 31, 2009, 11:52:08 am »
    You guys are absolutely the worst enablers LOL

I now want

ok I decided to order the hot water dispenser. I'm sure I'll still use my Zarafina but this will be nice too. I love that it's waiting for me hot at any moment I want tea.

I'm making some silver rain white tea for breakfast right now and have some sushi rice cooking in my Zo for lunch. Off to shop for a cast iron tea set.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: May 31, 2009, 01:27:45 pm »
    Today's flavor is... Garden Aria & Imperial Acai blueberry (50/50, white tea from Teavana).
    Yesterday I was at Marshall's and found some Bombay Chai loose tea by The Boston Tea Company which I think makes Bentley tea.  It was 6.99 for almost 5 oz and came in a pretty good tin to store it in.   I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was!  You never know what you find at Marshalls or TJX.  They also had a citrus flavored Black tea by the same company that I may just have to go back to get.

Offline Sienna_98

• Austin, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: May 31, 2009, 02:04:36 pm »
    I have an older version of the Zo electric kettle (hot water dispenser) that I use at work and I love it.  I have the 3 liter version and go through about 5 - 6 liters a week.  I got really lucky on mine though, because I bought if off of craigslist from someone who had gotten hers as a Christmas present (this was probably May) and had no idea she was selling a $170 electric kettle for $15! :o

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:22:17 pm by Harvey »
    Kerri

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: May 31, 2009, 02:07:33 pm »
    I have a hot water kettle on my wedding registry. The Zarafina works great at the office but I want to be able to have larger batches of tea at home so a Kettle would be nice.

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:45 pm »
    Wow 15 dollars, that is a steal! Congrats on that deal!

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: May 31, 2009, 05:10:14 pm »
    man...that Zarafina is tempting

I bought several different kinds of Assams from TG......turns out they are just too bitter for me.

Has anyone ever had High Tea at The Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC? http://www.fairmont.com/empress/GuestServices/Restaurants/AfternoonTea.htm
    My wife and I did that after our Alaska Cruise a few years and really loved it. I would love to find tea like they served there. I thought the Assams sounded simlar but definitely did not taste similar   :P

--------------------------
    The Empress Blend:
    The Empress blend is a selection of seasonal, quality teas, created exclusively for The Fairmont Empress by the Metropolitan Tea Company. With components from Assam (thick malty and full bodied), Kenya (floral-like flavor and a golden coppery infusion), South India (superb fruity and sprightly flavor), Ceylon (airy, almost piquant flavor), and China (burgundy depth with light oaky notes), it is truly one of the finest blends in the world.
    « Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:30:38 pm by Chad Winters (#102) »

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement