mblart

Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 380223 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #6675 on: March 05, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
The Malmo I got from TeaGschwendner doesn't have spout to speak. Its more like a coffee pot so its easy to clean out. Yes, I have to get the leaves out afterwards, I don't put them in the sink grinder. This is only an issue when i use really large leaf tea as I use the large size Finum filter in it otherwise. But that requires the teapot to be totally full or the water doesn't reach all the way above the tea line.

A while back I bought tea socks. I can't recall where I got them from now and they are larger than those finum paper filters, but those also require good cleaning as they are fabric and reusable

My husband makes his tea in this thing. Its the easier for him and he doesn't have to think much about it.

yes its plastic, but no BPA. And course it only makes one large mug. I have one too I still use at times. It really is easy, especially for resteeping. Then just turn upside down and dump the leaves in the thrash. Its husband proof.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: March 06, 2018, 04:40:42 AM »
At one point I was thinking about getting the one from Adagio. But for now I'm happy with my infuser mug, or gaiwan, or the little 14 oz white (wish it was purple) teapot from Adagio.

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: March 07, 2018, 03:52:15 PM »
I got my GF order today. I had a cup of the Lavender Sencha a little bit ago. It was lovely. Thanks for suggesting it. I bet it would pair nicely with those little lavender cookies that I love so much.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: March 07, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »
I got my GF order today. I had a cup of the Lavender Sencha a little bit ago. It was lovely. Thanks for suggesting it. I bet it would pair nicely with those little lavender cookies that I love so much.

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I like pairing it with a plain butter or shortbread cookie.  Let us know if you try it with the lavender shortbread and whether that leads to lavender overload.

This morning I drank a pot of good old Irish Breakfast tea and this afternoon I'm working on a pot of GF's Frozen Summit oolong.  I can't quite decide whether the Frozen Summit will be a repeat purchase.  When brewing a potful, it has a really grassy aroma which I don't care for but that doesn't come through in the taste.  It is a little floral with some spicy undertones; I'm not getting the nutty/roasted flavors the description says.  I will brew a second potful with these leaves and see what changes.  I'm thinking good for an occasional tea, maybe not a "regular".
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: March 08, 2018, 04:29:35 AM »
I want to try the Frozen Summit someday too.

I have a cup of Milk Oolong this morning. I remembered what it reminds me of. A few years ago I was making some sweet corn ice cream (Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home recipe) and that's what it smells like, hot milk and corn. I followed the directions on the pkg for the first try, I usually do my oolongs with cooler water than that. But it worked out fine. The tea tastes smooth and buttery. So good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:31:32 AM by MichelleB675 »

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:03 AM »
You were right crebel. The jasmine pearls are absolute heaven. Love the tea.

It's especially yummy in my new mug. It has cute kitties and fish bones all over it. Purrfect for a crazy cat lady. I found it at HomeGoods yesterday. I probably should have bought 2 though, it's very delicate.

I also picked up a tin of Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Sunset (same as Hot Cinnamon Spice) to try since everyone raves about it and didn't want to bother with an order to get the loose tea. After I finish the tin of teabags, I'll order some loose Hot Cinnamon Spice, because I LOVE it. and YAY I don't need to add sugar to it.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: March 11, 2018, 07:31:23 AM »
You were right crebel. The jasmine pearls are absolute heaven. Love the tea.

It's especially yummy in my new mug. It has cute kitties and fish bones all over it. Purrfect for a crazy cat lady. I found it at HomeGoods yesterday. I probably should have bought 2 though, it's very delicate.

I also picked up a tin of Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Sunset (same as Hot Cinnamon Spice) to try since everyone raves about it and didn't want to bother with an order to get the loose tea. After I finish the tin of teabags, I'll order some loose Hot Cinnamon Spice, because I LOVE it. and YAY I don't need to add sugar to it.

It is great that you are 3/3 in loving the GF teas in your last order!

Without looking back through, is it you that likes the occasional Lapsang Souchong?  I don't care for the smokiness at all, but saw a thread in the tea subreddit the other day where someone added culinary lavender to their Lapsang.  I thought that sounded interesting and might get a Lapsang sample to try that.

Does anyone else ever create their own blends from individual teas they already have?  I have been committing what I am sure some would consider tea sacrilege and making morning pots of tea with 4 spoons of Irish Breakfast and 2 spoons of Oriental Beauty.  It gives me that strong wake-up tea I prefer with the honey notes of the more delicate oolong.  It also makes the expensive Oriental Beauty go a lot farther, so that's a plus!

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: March 11, 2018, 07:42:40 AM »
It was me that talked about the lapsang souchong. I haven't had it straight yet, just blended in Tea Chai Te's Short Sands Chai and some Russian Caravan from The Tea Spot. I saw that lavender/lapsang combo mentioned over there too and plan to try it. I'm going to order some Lapsang next time I order from Harney and Sons, since it's such a strong smell, I thought it would be better for it to ship in a tin rather than a bag. I already have the dried lavender.

So far I haven't mixed teas yet but I have a few combinations in mind.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: March 11, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »
I have a whole bag of the hot cinnamon spice in the house from Harney's. Its very flavorful.  ;D

I do mix at times. Usually just 2 teas, so I can get a better idea. Oolong goes well with darjeeling I found. I had a cheapo oolong that wasn't doing anything on its own, but mixing it with some black, it came alive.

I also have a large tin I labelled "mystery tea". What I do with that is throw all the almost empty tins in there. So if there is only a teaspoon  here, or 2 there, it goes in there. Shake it up and its always different. Only non flavored teas, but anything from black to oolong, green and white goes in there. Hubby loves that tin. He likes his tea strong and often at the end of the tin is all the dust and small particles, so it tends to be a bit stronger.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: March 11, 2018, 08:21:21 AM »
I have a whole bag of the hot cinnamon spice in the house from Harney's. Its very flavorful.  ;D

I do mix at times. Usually just 2 teas, so I can get a better idea. Oolong goes well with darjeeling I found. I had a cheapo oolong that wasn't doing anything on its own, but mixing it with some black, it came alive.

I also have a large tin I labelled "mystery tea". What I do with that is throw all the almost empty tins in there. So if there is only a teaspoon  here, or 2 there, it goes in there. Shake it up and its always different. Only non flavored teas, but anything from black to oolong, green and white goes in there. Hubby loves that tin. He likes his tea strong and often at the end of the tin is all the dust and small particles, so it tends to be a bit stronger.

I love your mystery tea idea, gonna steal that one!

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: March 13, 2018, 11:17:12 AM »
I found one lone sticky rice tuocha in a cup in my tea cupboard last night!  I had probably pulled it out of the bag to send to Atunah and never got around to it (sorry/not sorry :P :-*) . 

I brewed it in my 4-cup teapot and am on my third resteeping (one last night when I found it, 2 this morning), still so yummy.  I'm going to give it one more go and see how it holds up.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: March 13, 2018, 03:33:31 PM »

Its like christmas in March for you. Like finding the treasure gold like the Lagina brothers, oh wait.............

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: March 13, 2018, 07:11:08 PM »

Its like christmas in March for you. Like finding the treasure gold like the Lagina brothers, oh wait.............

Ha!  I even know exactly what that reference means!  The gods frowned upon me for not sending you the sample and I did not get to try brewing it for the 4th time.  I dropped my little glass Bodum teapot when I was heating water and broke it which sent the infuser bouncing and the tea leaves onto my counter and floor.   :'(  But it was really wonderful for the first 3 brews.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: March 13, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
Ouch, sorry about your teapot. I am always afraid with my glass things as I can be a clutz.

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: March 14, 2018, 04:32:11 AM »
Sorry about your teapot :(

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6690 on: March 20, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
I'm drinking a potful of GF's Golden Emperor today.  It's a Yunnan black. Good, but not a favorite for the price.  A little sweet, I'm getting the 'apricot' notes the mention in the description, but nothing I would call 'roasted'.  I think I need more leaf next time. It's a pretty leaf, long golden tip leaves.

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: March 20, 2018, 12:18:25 PM »
I had some Vietnam Red Buffalo Oolong in my gaiwan this morning. I did 5 steeps and it could have probably gone another 5-6 but I never make it that far. Really nice oolong.

I have been cold brewing a bit lately. The sage apple blossom from tealyra was fantastic cold brewed. Harney's Spiced Plum was ok, it had a nice flavor but tasted weak. It would probably work better with a bit of black or white tea mixed in to give it some body, the rooibos didn't come through as much. Now I have some Harney's Paris in a pitcher, I'll strain it tonight and probably drink some of it tomorrow.

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: March 24, 2018, 04:09:14 AM »
Hey, look what I found.

"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: March 24, 2018, 07:07:39 AM »
Hey, look what I found.

Just ordered a copy of this from my local library. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks, HappyGuy!

Offline Ceramic

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
  • I mainly write non fiction.
    • View Profile
    • Blog: Musings of KarlettaA
« Reply #6694 on: March 26, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »

I have been cold brewing a bit lately. The sage apple blossom from tealyra was fantastic cold brewed. Harney's Spiced Plum was ok, it had a nice flavor but tasted weak. It would probably work better with a bit of black or white tea mixed in to give it some body,

The Spiced Plum tea sounds excellent. I had a teabag tea of vanilla and honey black tea. It was lovely.

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: March 27, 2018, 04:22:24 AM »
The Spiced Plum tea sounds excellent. I had a teabag tea of vanilla and honey black tea. It was lovely.

The Spiced Plum is good, but their new Mulled Plum Cider is better, I think.

Offline Ceramic

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
  • I mainly write non fiction.
    • View Profile
    • Blog: Musings of KarlettaA
« Reply #6696 on: March 30, 2018, 08:32:34 AM »
Cool Michelle. I don't know that I'd like a cidar one.

I'm using teabag flavoured tea at the moment. A few hours ago I had a yummy strawberry, rasberry, and loganberry tea. Next purchase will be a pomegranate one.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: April 02, 2018, 11:33:16 AM »
Stopped in at GF this morning while I was in town. Mr. Mike was there and asked specifically about whether you are enjoying your teas, Michelle!  I was happy to tell him yes.

I got some back-in-stock but new to me Tibetan Tiger (don't you love the name?), described as: "This is a very interesting early-morning eye-opener. The finest Assam, Darjeeling and Oolong teas are blended at precise proportions designed to get your day off to a good start."  Since I was there as soon as they opened today and had to scrape and defrost my van to get there, it seemed like the day to try it.  ;D  It's pretty good, but my tastebuds seem to prefer the more malty aspects of higher Assam blend or pure Assam for a strong breakfast-type tea.  When I get home I may brew with half Irish Breakfast and half Tibetan Tiger to up the Assam.

Then again, it may grow on me in future brews.  I thought the Kenyan Nandi Hills was just okay the first time I tried it and now I've decided I love it - bought a bigger bag of that today!

Bad news on the Sticky Rice puerh, he says it comes from his least reliable (in terms of shipping) supplier who keeps telling him "2 weeks", but he will be shocked if he receives any before July and maybe even as long as November :( I can find Sticky Rice oolong from other vendors, but I've don't find it in an aged puerh anywhere else (and certainly not in mini-tuocha form). Sigh ...

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: April 02, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »
Well, I am glad I never tried the sticky rice then. Cause what if I really really liked it.  ;D

So that means I can get my order in as soon as I have a completed list and not wait anymore.

I have had the Tibetan Tiger in the past. I got it as a kind of replacement for the diplomats tea from Teaschwendner. There they mix a darjeeling and a Oolong only. I liked both of them and the Gong fu "version" is a lot cheaper. And maybe a bit more rounded as they also have assam in it. I liked it as an afternoon tea, rather than a wakeup breakfast. Yes, assams are much more stronger/malty tasting for that. I also used lower than boiling temp to brew the tibetan, just like the diplomats. Because of the Oolong in  it and darjeelings I usually brew also just under boiling.

eat: there are a lot of red underline spell thingies in my post. I am not going through those. I always get those when we talk tea.  :P

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: April 02, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
That was nice of him to ask. I am enjoying everything very much and have been suggesting GF to  other people whenever possible. I want to place another order soon, I have my eye on the Baozhong, Jin Xuan and Genmaicha.

I saw some sticky rice touchas somewhere earlier, they had both cooked and uncooked versions. I'll have to backtrack and see if I can find them again.

*edit* that didn't take as long as I thought. It was at Stash.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:59:36 AM by MichelleB675 »