Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 431857 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #6950 on: February 12, 2019, 04:36:27 pm »
I never had matcha. I am not really sure how to operate that one. The mixing I guess with some brush or whipping? Or is it just powder you blend with water? I don't like mint much in general. Not my teas and not much elsewhere.

My grandmother used to have mint chocolate in the house because it was the only one we (grandkids) didn't like eating so it was all hers.  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6951 on: February 13, 2019, 08:49:08 am »
    Yeah the traditional way is to use a bamboo whisk, a lot of people use those milk frother thingies. or a protein shaker bottle 

Vahdam has some on Amazon but not on their website, and googling doesn't show anything new, just stuff from 2 years ago, so I'm not sure if what Amazon has is 2 years old or they just decided not to list on their own site.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
    • To boldly split infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Official Website of William D. Richards
    « Reply #6952 on: February 14, 2019, 06:11:31 am »
    Did you happen to order from that store? I never heard of it.

I just did and I'm very happy with it.

I ordered their Metropolitan, Dots-and-loops, and Under the Willow.

For me, Metropolitan was probably a mistake. I saw "clove" in their description and was hoping for something that would compare favorably with Bigelow's Constant Comment. I missed the "bergamot" in the description. So, instead of what I was expecting, I got an Earl Grey with fruity-plum flavoring to it. At half-a-scoop and a bit of honey, it isn't bad. Just not what I wanted.

I haven't opened the Dots-and-loops or Under the Willow, yet, but that will be coming soon.

Their four-cup packs are much bigger than I expected and my order came with a plastic scoop. :D Their teas strike me as pretty strong. My first cup of Metropolitan, I used a full scoop and found it quite intense. At half of the scoop, it was a bit more to my taste (with the aforementioned dollop of honey).

The prices strike me as fairly reasonable for boutique teas, and their teas based on the Metropolitan I've consumed thus far are pretty robust. The order arrived much faster than I was expecting---just three days after my order shipped. Overall, I'd say I recommend them. I hope you folks like them, too.
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:19:50 am by WDR »
    Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
    William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6953 on: February 14, 2019, 06:18:02 am »
    I want to try Metropolitan and Breathless.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6954 on: February 14, 2019, 07:21:18 am »
    Now you guys really want me to check out that tea place, don't you. Thanks Michelle and WDR for the reviews. I think.  ;D

eta: I like their tee flavor options. Boozy. I guess I'll add some rum to those.  :P

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6955 on: February 14, 2019, 03:21:16 pm »
    Arabesque tastes and smells like creamsicle.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6956 on: February 14, 2019, 04:29:41 pm »
    Arabesque tastes and smells like creamsicle.

Vanilla/Orange?  One of my favorite taste combinations.  I'm not sure my brain is connecting it to tea, but I'd sure be willing to try it!

I got to stop at Gong-Fu today. It's so nice to walk into a real tea store and have them greet you by name!  Just refilled on staples:  Cream Assam, The Himalayan (I've really been on a kick with this one recently), Nandi Hills, Sticky Rice tuos, and Irish Breakfast.  I keep the foil resealable bags they come in and just hand them the empties to refill. 

While typing this I realized I did not get any Red Plum, guess I'll have to stop back in one day before I head home again! 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6957 on: February 15, 2019, 06:26:27 am »
    Was the Nandi Hills the one that had to grow on you? Goes like that sometimes, doesn't it. Don't know if something is going to be a keeper til you realize you keep drinking it.

You reminded me to make a list so I don't forget the teas I do need to get from gong fu. Unlike you, I have to pay shipping each time I order, unless I get a bigger one going. One of my staples with them is the milk oolong for sure. I also get the cream assam and I have gotten the nandi based on your recs and its really a good tea.

I wish I had a tea store around here like that. We have some coffee roasters like that, but no tea places that I know of. I think way more people drink coffee here and ice tea and if they do drink tea is mostly the bagged type. The fancy pyramid shaped ones are very popular with the suburbians around here. Like what they sell at trader Joe's.

I guess Teavana used to be the only tea store until they were no more.

I am sure I have asked you that before, but how far do you have to drive to get to Gong Fu? And how is the weather now. I can't believe how cold you had it there  :o.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6958 on: February 15, 2019, 07:29:13 am »
    If you try it I hope you like it. Creamsicle isn't one of my favorite flavors but the tea was good.

This morning I'm having a cup of Hot Cinnamon Spice (Sunset) from H&S. I think when this is gone I'll try the rooibos version.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6959 on: February 15, 2019, 07:40:01 am »
    Yes, Nandi Hills is one I thought was "just okay" the first time I tried it and is now a staple.  That's one that certainly benefited from getting a scale. They are big, "fluffy" leaves (2 oz of leaf is sold in a 4 oz bag so it doesn't get broken up) before brewing and the measuring spoon just didn't provide enough leaf so it ended up rather weak until I started weighing - now I can eyeball it pretty well.

Milk Oolong is a must have in my cupboard as well, I just didn't need a refill this time!  If you haven't tried GF's Himalayan before, that would be my new recommendation for you to try, I bought a larger bag of that this time.

It takes about 90 minutes to get to GF from home.  I'd order online if there weren't always other reasons for a trip to the "big city" and then I stay with my sister for a week almost always.  :D Our weather has been horrible recently but yesterday roads were dry, just cold but not nearly as cold as when we had the polar vortex, and DH was driving.  I didn't leave my house for almost 2 weeks when we had that -40 degree nastiness. More snow on the way for tonight and Sunday, but I'm good with being stuck at my sister's house until DH returns some time to get me!

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6960 on: February 25, 2019, 06:41:50 am »
    March winds have arrived early and my seasonal tea tastes seem to be shifting back from black teas. I only seem to enjoy those in the winter, but rarely resteep them.

This morning I'm on my 3rd mug (resteep) of High Mountain Honey Oolong from Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company. I ordered it sometime last year, and it is so good. I relocated the rest of the package to a smaller tin.

Even after 3 steeps the leaves seemed to have some "life" left in them, some still were not all the way open, so I put them in a pitcher of water to cold brew. I may have to reorder that tea when it's gone, it is really lovely.
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:08:45 am by MichelleB675 »

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #6961 on: March 09, 2019, 01:26:11 pm »
    Drinking my first Puerh today...... it smells and tastes like fish. Is this a bad one or is that kind of standard? Maybe I'm getting my Omega 3s

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6962 on: March 09, 2019, 02:36:54 pm »
    Drinking my first Puerh today...... it smells and tastes like fish. Is this a bad one or is that kind of standard? Maybe I'm getting my Omega 3s

I'm not sure about bad, but I'd say it's not a good one anyway.  I presume it's a ripe puerh; they can have a strong aroma, earthy-tasting, but really shouldn't be "fishy".  Where did you get it?  I have heard if you order from an overseas vendor, particularly if it is a cake of puerh, that you need to let them air out before brewing and always a quick rinse before a full brew as well.

I've only purchased mini-tuochas of organic puerh and sticky rice puerh from my two preferred vendors (GongFu and Stash) and I love them both.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6963 on: March 09, 2019, 06:03:49 pm »
    Fishy puerh is usually a sign of either inferior tea or improperly stored tea. Maybe try to rinse it twice and see if that helps.

The first one I ever tried was fishy and I hated it. I've only tried one other and it's mixed with cocoa nibs, I still don't love it and I'm afraid I'll forever associate it with that first fishy one.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6964 on: March 17, 2019, 11:33:52 am »
    Happy Saint Patrick's Day to my tea-loving friends!  I am celebrating this afternoon with a small pot of Irish Breakfast tea and a "wee dollop" of Irish Cream whiskey added to my cup.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6965 on: March 17, 2019, 02:28:24 pm »
    Ohhh, I almost forgot. Is irish cream what you used? Or actual irish whiskey. All I got is the irish cream in the fridge. I am sipping some now. I opened it on May of 2018 though. Been in the fridge, says use within 6 months of opening. oops.  :P. I am sure I'll live, tastes fine. I am going to make some coffee I think, never tried it in tea. All I have is english breakfast. Will that cause a war?  ;D

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6966 on: March 17, 2019, 03:02:39 pm »
    Ohhh, I almost forgot. Is irish cream what you used? Or actual irish whiskey. All I got is the irish cream in the fridge. I am sipping some now. I opened it on May of 2018 though. Been in the fridge, says use within 6 months of opening. oops.  :P. I am sure I'll live, tastes fine. I am going to make some coffee I think, never tried it in tea. All I have is english breakfast. Will that cause a war?  ;D

Yes, Irish Cream (made with Irish whiskey).  No comment whether you will cause a war mixing with English Breakfast ...   ;)

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #6967 on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:37 pm »
    I like tea bags with different flavors. Have not tried many but like ginger tea and masala tea. These are both available in Indian stores. I like to know more flavors and where to get it.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6968 on: March 20, 2019, 05:13:11 am »
    If you want to stick to tea bags, they are available pretty much everywhere that sells groceries. Kroger, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Walmart, Target, etc. Another great place to look is TJ Maxx, Marshall's, HomeGo

As far as grocery store brands go, Tazo, Stash and Numi are pretty good. Republic of Tea and Zhena's are also good.

Harney and Sons has some at Target. I suggest Hot Cinnamon Sunset, and the Holiday Blend when Christmas rolls around again. Or you can order from their website where there is a lot more variety... Hot Cinnamon Spice, Paris, Victorian London Fog, Pomegranate Oolong, Dragon Pearl Jasmine and tons more I can't remember right now.

Adagio has lots of flavors, many that are available in bags. They have stores but not sure if any are near you, their website is easy to shop though.

Amazon, they have everything so you should be able to find lots of variety there.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6969 on: March 23, 2019, 01:58:47 pm »
    I combined 1 spoonful of Lavender Sencha to 3 spoonfuls of Milk Oolong today (in a 4C pot).  I have to say it's a really nice combination.  I guess I could have just added some culinary lavender which I already have, but just had that one spoonful left of the sencha, so tried that. 

I will do this combo again.  Just a touch of lavender compliments the buttery flavor of the Milk Oolong and didn't overpower it.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6970 on: March 23, 2019, 04:20:05 pm »
    I bet that was yummy.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6971 on: April 02, 2019, 02:09:29 pm »
    I tried a different tea this last time I was restocking at Gong-Fu, their Organic Ginger Citrus Puerh.  It is delicious, you can certainly taste the ginger, but it does not overpower (in fact, anyone who is a huge ginger fan might want more) and the two "lemon" additions are just right.  While I think it is wonderful just to drink, it would be a great sore throat tea with a little honey or good for upset stomach.

The GF description: This blend begins with a black, or "cooked" Puerh tea base. To this rich beginning, we've asked our blenders to add pieces of dried ginger as well as lemon verbena and lemongrass. The result is a brew that is wonderfully contrasting - both rich and deep, while also light and refreshing. The perfect after-dinner digestive.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6972 on: April 02, 2019, 05:00:33 pm »
    That sounds really good crebel. Might throw some into my cart at the next order. I like ginger and I am curious how that would tasted in a puerh. Ginger tea items are also good for when my stomach is upset or I am nauseated. Or is it nauseous. Can never remember. 

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6973 on: April 02, 2019, 07:05:00 pm »
    I just spent about an hour looking back through some of the first 200 pages or so of this thread.  We used to have 6-12 folks posting every single day and Atunah, Andra, Chad Winters, and me are about the only ones still around from those days.  :'(

A couple of fun facts from the earlier days:

Tea Gerschwender was the online vendor of choice (and still seems to be very popular), followed by Teavana which is now closed.

- Atunah was house hunting in January 2011.  She just found a place and moved last December.  Wow.

- March/April of 2011 is when ProfCrash (now MamaProfCrash) started her journey into the world of puerhs and subsequently hooked several of us with her enabling.  This also resulted in my Gong-Fu tea shop in Des Moines, Iowa recommendation becoming a go-to online  shop for some puerhs, then oolongs (particularly their milk oolong), and eventually all types of tea.

Prof, if you ever still check in on these threads, Gong-Fu still has the Seven Sons bing cha puerh (now aged 8 more years!) and still selling at the original price of $41.  I never did pick one up back then, but they gave me a large brewed sample from an open package when I was there last week, and holy cow is this some good, smooth, stuff.  I have one in my possession now!

The Ginger Citrus puerh I mentioned earlier is the first looseleaf puerh I have tried.  I enjoyed it as much as the tuochas, but I find them so much more convenient.  They no longer carry the Rose puerh tuochas, but I have found that adding Tao of Teas Rose Petal Black looseleaf to an organic puerh tuocha is pretty darn close.
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 05:54:37 am by crebel »

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6974 on: April 03, 2019, 06:08:42 am »
    I am once again trying to stop drinking cokes in the morning.  My go-to tea for caffeine is still Teavana's Raspberry Riot Lemon Mate.  I have two more unopened pouches of it.  I just placed an order at Adagio for some of their Citrus Mate, Raspberry Patch, Lemongrass, and some freeze-dried raspberries.  I'm going to see if I can get closer than the blend that Adagio currently sells before I run out of my precious Teavana stock.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement