Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 431852 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #6975 on: April 03, 2019, 06:49:12 am »
I just spent about an hour looking back through some of the first 200 pages or so of this thread.  We used to have 6-12 folks posting every single day and Atunah, Andra, Chad Winters, and me are about the only ones still around from those days.  :'(

A couple of fun facts from the earlier days:

Tea Gerschwender was the online vendor of choice (and still seems to be very popular), followed by Teavana which is now closed.

- Atunah was house hunting in January 2011.  She just found a place and moved last December.  Wow.

- March/April of 2011 is when ProfCrash (now MamaProfCrash) started her journey into the world of puerhs and subsequently hooked several of us with her enabling.  This also resulted in my Gong-Fu tea shop in Des Moines, Iowa recommendation becoming a go-to online  shop for some puerhs, then oolongs (particularly their milk oolong), and eventually all types of tea.

Prof, if you ever still check in on these threads, Gong-Fu still has the Seven Sons bing cha puerh (now aged 8 more years!) and still selling at the original price of $41.  I never did pick one up back then, but they gave me a large brewed sample from an open package when I was there last week, and holy cow is this some good, smooth, stuff.  I have one in my possession now!

The Ginger Citrus puerh I mentioned earlier is the first looseleaf puerh I have tried.  I enjoyed it as much as the tuochas, but I find them so much more convenient.  They no longer carry the Rose puerh tuochas, but I have found that adding Tao of Teas Rose Petal Black looseleaf to an organic puerh tuocha is pretty darn close.
Oh what a lovely trip back in tea time. Thanks for that. Where is mamaprofcrash?

I still have some of that seven sons puerh, somewhere. I still haven't found all my things yet. I need to find it though as its in the garage and that is probably not a good thing once it gets really hot. I have a box with all those puerhs. Good thing is they are meant to be stored like that. Long term.  ;D

Yeah, wow. I can believe I was house looking since 2011. Gulp. Course we didn't have a permanent realtor then. But holy moly we could have gotten a deal then. All houses have gone up a huge amount since about that year and 2012. Like our house was bought in 2012 for 50000 less than what it cost us.  :o :o. The market recovered and this area is being built out more further to the west. But still, that is a long time looking. wowser.

And all through those years my constant has been checking in to KBoards to talk to my friends here, about books and stuff and of course tea. So many teas I have tried and enjoyed in all those years. Tea stores I had never heard of before like Gong Fu came to my attention. I tried Puerh for the first time. And I bought many mugs and tea pots in those years.  :P

Now you remind me I really miss me some milk oolong. I think I'll just make a big order of that and some of that ginger citrus puerh you tried. Might get some Tuocha too. Like you I like the convenience. Even though I have a box somewhere with cakes and cake pieces.

I am once again trying to stop drinking cokes in the morning.  My go-to tea for caffeine is still Teavana's Raspberry Riot Lemon Mate.  I have two more unopened pouches of it.  I just placed an order at Adagio for some of their Citrus Mate, Raspberry Patch, Lemongrass, and some freeze-dried raspberries.  I'm going to see if I can get closer than the blend that Adagio currently sells before I run out of my precious Teavana stock.
You'd think that they would have sold the rights to the recipes to someone. I found only one close-ish one but its expensive at $7 a ounce and i don't know that tea company
https://www.plumdeluxe.com/product/raspberry-lemon-mate-tea?gclid=Cj0KCQjws5HlBRDIARIsAOomqA2t4FRdI1lFFCdksAcQxPR87ZQjiPx_Q8O_HMVKKEju9DCTwtuePaEaAsBJEALw_wcB

Hopefully the Adagio gets close for you. I never had the teavana one so I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe you can buy all the ingredients and try mixing your own from scratch? Make a large batch and seal it up and use it over the year?

I found a listing for what was in it, like I am sure its on your package. I think they have to list more to less from left to right?
Teavana: Ingredients: Green Mate tea, raspberries, apple bits, rosehips, hibiscus blossoms, lemongrass, and pink rose buds.

I assume you tried the blend someone created on adagio? I see some say they add the raspberry patch in it.
https://www.adagio.com/signature_blend/blend.html?blend=40361

Make sure you keep some original back to do side testing and also write down when you start playing with mixing. Use a scale so you can weigh the ingredients. So if you get close you can always replicate it by that recipe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6976 on: April 03, 2019, 01:11:51 pm »
    I have the blend from Plum Deluxe.  It doesn't taste quite right.
    And neither does the one from Adagio - not enough raspberry and no rose buds.
    So I looked at my canister and the ingredients and ordered similar teas plus the extra raspberry and then ordered some rose buds from Amazon.
    And yes, I have one package "hidden" in case I go on a tear and forget that I am supposed to be trying to replicate the blend.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6977 on: April 03, 2019, 02:01:46 pm »
    Don't hide it too well.  ;D

I just found the box of puerh in the garage. And of course I put them in separate zipbags and didn't label them. So no clue what is what

In the good news, I found a unopened 2 ounce bag of GF milk oolong in the same box. Wohoo

So I am having a pot right now. I have no idea how that one got in the puerh box as I had all the regular teas in a separate place at the apartment. Puerhs have always had their own box as they didn't fit in my tea cabinet.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6978 on: April 03, 2019, 03:13:06 pm »
    I have the blend from Plum Deluxe.  It doesn't taste quite right.
    And neither does the one from Adagio - not enough raspberry and no rose buds.
    So I looked at my canister and the ingredients and ordered similar teas plus the extra raspberry and then ordered some rose buds from Amazon.
    And yes, I have one package "hidden" in case I go on a tear and forget that I am supposed to be trying to replicate the blend.

It will be interesting to hear how your experiments turn out!  I have zero suggestions for you as I am not really a mate fan and raspberry isn't my  favorite fruit flavor in tea, but I bet you'll get close blending to your tastes.

Don't hide it too well.  ;D

I just found the box of puerh in the garage. And of course I put them in separate zipbags and didn't label them. So no clue what is what

In the good news, I found a unopened 2 ounce bag of GF milk oolong in the same box. Wohoo

So I am having a pot right now. I have no idea how that one got in the puerh box as I had all the regular teas in a separate place at the apartment. Puerhs have always had their own box as they didn't fit in my tea cabinet.

Yippee Skippee on finding the garage box!  I can't believe you didn't label your puerhs, you're usually so organized with your teas!  As you taste each, I bet you'll remember what they are and can label them then.  How many do you have?  Are the bengs, tuochas, middle-sized, ripes, raws, a mix, and where did you get them?  Inquiring minds want to know. Thank goodness you found some milk oolong in there to tide you over until your next GF order, whew.

My next project is decorating both some plain tea tins (solid, boring colors) and some old store brand tea tins to cover up the writing.  I've seen some done with washii paper, but the choices were crummy at my local Hobby Lobby. So for my first effort I bought some really pretty decorative duct tape.  We'll see ...

eta:  While I mentioned above that not too many of the old-timers are still here and talking about tea, thank goodness MichelleB675 joined us!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:15:02 pm by crebel »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6979 on: April 03, 2019, 03:29:03 pm »
    I put some of the paper wrapper in the ziploc bag, which of course is in all chinese  :-X. A couple still have the smaller cardboard and there is one that only has large broken pieces in it and no marking. I assume that was the Gong fu one as I drank a lot of that. And that was a larger cake. I'll try some tomorrow and then I'll know. I remember really liking that one and its a good one so should be obvious. Lesson learned. Tuochas are easy, they go in my usual tea shelf in a container, but those cakes are so big, they have to be in boxes. I haven't bought any in years. Stuff just lasts. I have the Gong Fu one and before that I ordered a bunch to try from Puerh-shop. That is also were I bought my pretty tea tray that has the cutout grooves and a tray  underneat for the extra water. If one uses the traditional gong fu method. I just like that I can spill something and just slide the tray out to clean underneath if I need to. Plus its pretty.  ;D

I drank so much milk oolong I need to wait until tomorrow before tackling the puerhs. Too much fluids.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
    • To boldly split infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Official Website of William D. Richards
    « Reply #6980 on: April 10, 2019, 08:33:13 am »
    Just revisiting my purchases from August Teas, now that I've had enough time to use and taste them.

The Metropolitan is a plum-flavored Earl Grey, and I find I really like it when I am in the mood for an Earl Grey. I also find it caffeine-wise to be very potent---perhaps a little too potent. I find myself using 1.5g--2.0g instead of their recommended 3g when measuring it out. I find I like to add just a touch of sweetening seems to be about right if you want to add honey or sugar. Because it is such a strong tea, it does tend to leave a scent in the mug and in the teapot when I use it. So, I've taken to using an single infuser in my mug when making it so I don't have to clean the teapot every time I use it.

Dots And Loops is also pretty good: apple and fennel. Again, a tea I like when I'm in the mood something a little different. It has a good clean taste. I haven't tried this one sweetened, yet. Might be interesting how the flavor might change.

Under the Willow is a classic green tea. I did not like it at all. They say it has "notes of alfalfa" in the description and I can echo this: it tastes like I made tea out of a mowed lawn. Perhaps the next time I steel up my tastebuds for another round of this, I'll add some sugar or honey to see if it changes the flavor. If not, I will probably pour the remainder in with another tea to simply use it up. Granted, it is important to always remember that personal preferences are a highly subjective thing; just because I didn't like this doesn't mean you won't. But I won't be ordering this for myself in the future.
    Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
    William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6981 on: April 11, 2019, 01:24:05 pm »
    Metropolitan sounds yummy to me!  The others maybe not so much ...  ::)

I have very few green teas in my cupboard, I am personally not a fan of "grassy" tasting.  Probably why I prefer ripe to raw puer as well.  My green teas consist of Jasmine Pearls (SO yummy), a Lavender Sencha, and a Genmaicha.  I think those all qualify as green.  Where does Milk Oolong fall - is it just "Oolong" or is it a green oolong?

The Lavender Sencha is my calming tea.  The new READ tags discussion going on in the LTK updates thread is giving me a headache.  So I'm currently having a small pot of Lavender Sencha (to wash down the Tylenol).  :D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6982 on: April 11, 2019, 01:32:33 pm »
    Haha WDR. Mowed grass is what my husband calls most japanese greens like sencha.  ;D. He likes the more roasted type chinese like gunpowder and such. I don't drink green very often either like crebel. And that lavender sencha really is quite nice. I made a cup of that for my husband once and did not get the grass clippings comment.  ;D Milk oolong is just a type of oolong. Not green tea.

Plum earl grey. that sounds oddly interesting.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6983 on: April 12, 2019, 05:47:42 am »
    I am working on my replacement Raspberry Riot Lemon Mate blend.  I think I have it close, but it's missing something.  Then again, as long as it tastes good and I'll drink it, it really doesn't matter if it's an exact match.

Offline dgrant

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6984 on: April 15, 2019, 10:19:18 am »
    I'm afraid I've been quite boring and stuck to Russian Caravan and Assam while y'all are having all the fun with blends! AS summer comes 'round again, though. I may be in search of lighter teas to go with the 100+ degrees.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6985 on: April 15, 2019, 01:38:01 pm »
    I am that weird one that will sit in 100 plus weather here in south texas sipping my hot tea while I am melting into a puddle.  ;D. I just don't do cold tea or ice tea. Must be hot. I'll also still drink dark black teas.

Offline dgrant

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6986 on: April 15, 2019, 07:33:33 pm »
    You and my husband both! I don't understand hot tea when it's 114F outside. I really, really don't. But... he grew up that way in Africa, so he's been drinking hot tea in even hotter weather. You're not alone!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6987 on: April 15, 2019, 08:04:17 pm »
    Everyone around me probably drinks ice tea. But ice tea was not something I knew back in Germany where I grew up. We didn't have ice either. No ice maker. And most is sweet and I don't put sugar in my tea, or coffee. To me tea is just hot. Just like coffee.

Last year I was sitting outside on a balcony, it was around 100 or so and my tea was steaming, my hair felt like it was steaming, my kindle probably was steaming too.  ;D. It is humid here so it always feels like a sauna when it gets hot.

Even today when we were "only" in the 80's, I sat outside and I was dripping. Yet I still held on to my steaming cup of Himalayan tea.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6988 on: April 16, 2019, 06:17:01 am »
    Everyone around me probably drinks ice tea. But ice tea was not something I knew back in Germany where I grew up. We didn't have ice either. No ice maker. And most is sweet and I don't put sugar in my tea, or coffee. To me tea is just hot. Just like coffee.

Last year I was sitting outside on a balcony, it was around 100 or so and my tea was steaming, my hair felt like it was steaming, my kindle probably was steaming too.  ;D. It is humid here so it always feels like a sauna when it gets hot.

Even today when we were "only" in the 80's, I sat outside and I was dripping. Yet I still held on to my steaming cup of Himalayan tea.  ;D

Must have been a Himalayan day, that's what I had in my pot yesterday as well.  This morning is a small pot of Absolute Almond from GF, it seems appropriate to celebrate a real spring day out in 3-season room.

I drink hot tea year round as well, but do enjoy "fruity" teas iced when the temperature and humidity climbs, it's refreshing.  I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but my FIL always said there is a scientific reason (which I don't remember the explanation for) that drinking hot beverages when the weather is hot and humid will actually cool you off.  He kept a thermos of coffee with him and was always drinking, even when out mowing in 100+ weather.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6989 on: April 16, 2019, 07:09:33 am »
    Well here they say the same with chili and hot peppers. Super hot stuff just makes my eyes bulge out and gasp for air.  :o. But maybe its a body redirect. I'll try it next time I have a hot flash. I'll nibble on a hot pepper and then my body too busy going in survival mode than thinking about giving me a hot flash.  ;D

But yeah, they say hot things, and spicy hot too, suppose to cool you down. I dunno, I just like hot tea. When I need a cool down I just drink water with ice, or a chrystal light lemonade. And of course a nice glass of margarita with ice does it too.  8)

Offline xandy3

• K Crumley
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6990 on: April 26, 2019, 08:14:45 am »
    My Aunt and I are both writers and tea totallers.  :D :D We are also both Whovians, so I look forward to showing her my new Doctor Who Tardis teapot when she is back in town. ;)

Our favorites are Irish Breakfast and Plantation Mint. 

I also love Constant Comment and Tea of Life's green tea with lemon and mint.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6991 on: April 26, 2019, 10:01:40 am »
    My Aunt and I are both writers and tea totallers.  :D :D We are also both Whovians, so I look forward to showing her my new Doctor Who Tardis teapot when she is back in town. ;)

Our favorites are Irish Breakfast and Plantation Mint. 

I also love Constant Comment and Tea of Life's green tea with lemon and mint.

Welcome Xandy!  I'd love to see a picture of your Tardis teapot.  Constant Comment is always a good choice for grocery store tea. I still love it even though I rarely brew teabags now.

Offline HeyImAnAuthor

• I love writing fantasy.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6992 on: April 28, 2019, 05:49:12 am »
    I drink Yogi Ginger tea for thyroid.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #6993 on: April 28, 2019, 09:57:15 pm »
    When I drink tea, these are some of the kinds I like:

Bigelow's Constant Comment (BF got me into this one)
    Market Spice Cinnamon Orange (we always get some when we visit Pike Place Market)
    Twinings English Breakfast
    Honey Citron Ginger Tea (jamlike stuff in a jar, mostly sugar, mix with hot water - good for sore throats and sold in Asian markets)
    Genmaicha (learned to enjoy this from my mother)
    Iced Tea
    Chai

I had a cute Bee House brand teapot and several ones I had purchased at Daiso, but they are stashed away from my last move. I mostly use teabags and mugs, so it's not an issue.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6994 on: May 03, 2019, 11:47:28 am »
    I was putting a Gong Fu order together since I hope to get to the store soon, but may have to mail order/call it in this time.  Anyway, they have a new tea listed in the black tea section (or at least one I haven't noticed before).  They call it their Summertime Blend - description follows:

"SUMMERTIME TEA BLEND

This is a unique blend of both black and green teas, made all the more enticing by the addition of safflower, hibiscus, apricot, and natural lemon and raspberry essences. Excellent as an early morning wake-me-up, but even better iced on a hot summer afternoon."

It sounds yummy to me and I thought it might be of interest to others, Andra in particular, looking for something to replace her Raspberry Patch (although still no rose in this one).  I'm going to try a small bag and probably cold brew for iced tea.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6995 on: May 05, 2019, 06:12:37 pm »
    I saw these posted in Reddit tea community, and I'm thinking about ordering some for tea storage instead of tins or my GF bags that flop around in my cupboard when they only have a pot of two of leaf still in them.  Supposedly they block 99% of UVA light and would be airtight with the rubber seal each time you screw the lid back on.

I need to figure out what size (liquid ounces) jars are needed for how much leaf (dry weight).  What do you all think?

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
    « Reply #6996 on: May 06, 2019, 05:16:28 am »
    You can also buy plastic lids for those.

As much as I love glass jars, I avoid them because I am so clumsy and my pantry frequently throws stuff off the shelves at me.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6997 on: May 06, 2019, 05:33:21 am »
    I was putting a Gong Fu order together since I hope to get to the store soon, but may have to mail order/call it in this time.  Anyway, they have a new tea listed in the black tea section (or at least one I haven't noticed before).  They call it their Summertime Blend - description follows:

"SUMMERTIME TEA BLEND

This is a unique blend of both black and green teas, made all the more enticing by the addition of safflower, hibiscus, apricot, and natural lemon and raspberry essences. Excellent as an early morning wake-me-up, but even better iced on a hot summer afternoon."

It sounds yummy to me and I thought it might be of interest to others, Andra in particular, looking for something to replace her Raspberry Patch (although still no rose in this one).  I'm going to try a small bag and probably cold brew for iced tea.

Thanks Chris - that does sound like something I'd enjoy.
    DH says I am trying too hard to exactly match the Teavana blend.  He says just to come up with something I like and will drink.  I hate it when he gets all logical on me.  That's just not the way my brain works...

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6998 on: May 06, 2019, 07:26:17 am »
    How big of bags do you normally buy crebel? Thats a lot of tea to fit into 32 ounces.

I just did a little test with those green tea tins I have. They measure 4.5 inches tall and 2 6/8th inches wide. I just put a very fluffy darjeeling 50 grams in one and it fills it up about 3/4 full. I can easily fit not so fluffy teas like keemun and such in when I buy 100 grams (3.5 ounces). So I took the fluffy and put it into a measuring cup. That 50 grams filled one heaping dry measuring cup. My containers hold less than 2 dry cups of tea. I'd day more like 1 and 1/4 to 1/3.
    So the 16 ounce masons should be plenty if you buy your teas in 100 (3.5) grams of bags or even the 4 ounce ones. Depends on the seller. Course also depends on how big the leafs are of the tea.

I know that if I buy a more dense tea, smaller leafs and heavier, the tins don't get filled all the way.

I'd probably break the glass ones too, I get clumsy when I make tea. I also wouldn't trust my husband.  :P And my tea shelf would croak under the weight. Of course nobody else has so many tins in a dvd shelf so in the pantry it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But my hand at times are not very grabby, if that is s word.

Tea would look really pretty in those though and they are certainly much easier to clean and get the tea smells out if using them for flavored. My tins have to be always holding the same type tea. No matter what I try, I can't get the flavored tasted out of them so if they ever get used for flavored, they always have to be.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6999 on: May 06, 2019, 08:47:31 am »
    My everyday teas I buy in 6 oz bags most of the time, occasionally 8 ozs.  I'm not sure the 16 oz jars would hold most of a 6 oz bag of a fluffy tea like the Nandi Hills.  I have some regular quart mason jars here, I'll weigh out what I have left in a bag and see how full a jar gets.

I really like the idea of the wide-mouth jars rather than my bags for getting tea out, especially when it's getting to the bottom of the bag.  The glass would also keep the leaf from getting broken as I stuff bags into my cupboard shelf.  And like Atunah said, the glass would be far better than even tins for washing the smell out if you want to switch teas stored in them.  I have a tin I kept the GF Holiday Blend in for too long and I think some of the citrus peels in there started to get rancid - I can NOT get that smell out no matter what I have done.  I'm going to end up pitching a lovely tin.  :(

My shelf is also tall enough I could stack two maybe three 16 oz jars or one 32 oz and one 16 oz if I need the bigger jars for a couple of teas. I don't have to worry about weight and shelf stability.  I think the shelf is wide enough for a line of 8 jars across, deep enough for 3 (maybe 4) lines of jars if I got really carried away ...

Gonna have to take clear glass jars I already have for canning in there and do some real measuring.   :D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement