Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 429058 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #7075 on: January 01, 2020, 08:40:50 am »
Ohhh, what a nice haul.  ;D Looking forward to your review on the camel's breath. Nest I think is a good word for those sized cakes.

I am having some ginger tea as I might have had a wee bit too much white wine last night and so my stomach is upset a wee bit.  :P

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7076 on: January 17, 2020, 05:22:09 am »
    Sigh, I'm still getting used to my new laptop keyboard and managed to delete a long post about my first brew of the Camel's Breath tea this morning.  I'll try again ...

The next was very difficult to break "chunks" off.  I was able to pry, without breaking too much, what seemed to be enough leaf for a small pot.  Someone has moved my digital scale and I ended up eyeballing the final amount.  When I'm more awake (I did this late last night preparing a pot for this morning) today, I'll search for my scale and work on breaking up the nest better.

Taste wise, the tea is not what I was expecting at all!  It is much lighter in color, mouthfeel, and taste than anticipated.  I'm hoping this is due to not enough leaf/user error.  Otherwise this particular example of Camel's Breath is pretty blah, drinkable but nothing interesting. To me it tastes more like a green tea than a ripe puerh.  I'll let you know if that opinion changes when  I've brewed another pot where I'm more sure of parameters.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7077 on: January 17, 2020, 03:44:20 pm »
    Curious if that changes once you use a scale. I have had puerh's that were more like green tea than anything. those were probably the "green" type though, I can't recall. Maybe this is also one that benefits more of the traditional way of brewing, not western style, but gonfu style. Lots of leafs in a small vessel and very short brewing times and lots of infusions.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7078 on: February 17, 2020, 11:33:55 am »
    Having a small pot of milk oolong with lavender sencha. Such a great combo. Thanks crebel for thinking of that.

And I finally solved a mystery of why I keep running out of milk oolong so fast. I thought I lost my brain and forgot how much I drink. But nope, my husband who doesn't usually like any flavored type teas has been drinking it. He could have told me so I can stock up on it. Fine, bigger batch it will be in my next order.  ;D. The lavender sencha though is save from him.  8)

Its warm around here, but overcast. And a bit misty. 78 degrees today and I think it was yesterday too. My poor citrus trees are very confused and are making blooms and baby fruits already. And its too early as there will probably be more freezing temps and kill them all.
    Just checked the forecast and by Thursday we will be 49 daytime and 36 at night. Then back to the 70's by weekend. Just a bit cooler at night. Right now its in 60's at night.  :o

Texas weather. Its warm enough to need some frozen margaritas.  :P Later that is.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7079 on: February 17, 2020, 12:26:44 pm »
    I am happy you are enjoying my milk oolong/lavender sencha experiment, it's a "comforting" brew, isn't it?  I probably do a 2-cup mug of that once a week or so, most often in the evenings.  I have also tried it now with just culinary lavender and that works equally well without "wasting" my sencha, although I really prefer the creamy lavender milk oolong to the lavender sencha overall.  When I finish this bag of lavender sencha, I probably won't re-buy the sencha since I always have culinary lavender in my cupboard (makes awesome shortbread cookies, thanks to Michelle's recipe).

I have not yet tried the Camel's Breath again.  That @$#%&* nest needs a sledgehammer to break apart.  I did, however, find my digital scale and will tackle it again one of these days.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7080 on: February 17, 2020, 12:44:31 pm »
     ;D I can just see you cursing and slamming trying to get the pieces off.

I actually bought a pick and a small bamboo tray after I had tried to get some off. I might have even thrown it on a cement floor really hard at one point in frustration.   ;D. The tool was from the same place i got the tea from. I realized it was about the only way to get chunks off, without hacking my fingers off.  I been mostly using the small 2 cups tuochas since, as they are just easier to work with.

Here is a tool like I bought back then.
    https://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=27&product_id=344

Might even be the exact one as I bought it from that place. But its been years. Maybe a since clean screwdriver will work too. The pick basically you work in and pry some off. Rather than hacking at it.

I think you are right about the lavender. Just adding that would add that flavor profile. I have some lavender growing in my front yard I planted, but I don't think either of them is edible. One is fern leaf lavender and the other is some heat resisting texas lavender. I can't recall what it is called now. But it holds up to the heat and the drought here.

Where do you buy the edible stuff? Online?

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7081 on: February 17, 2020, 01:27:09 pm »

Amazon, of course ...

I think this is the one I purchased, but there are many choices if you search culinary lavender.  4 ounces of dried lavender is a bigger quantity than you think it will be.  I've had the bag I use from for a while and it is still vibrant colored and very fragrant.  It doesn't take much to add to anything.

I've made cookies, lavender simple syrup (which you add to Earl Grey tea along with steamed/frothed milk to make a London Fog - also good drizzled on cheesecake  :D ), etc.  I even put some in a zipper plastic bag with some unscented dryer softner sheets and then use those sheets with my bed linens.  I'm a fan.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7082 on: February 29, 2020, 08:59:45 am »
    Thanks crebel. I was sure I had already responded to that post from you. Odd thing that. Maybe I wrote it and forgot to hit post? I added the lavender to my wishlist for future.

Got a email from Adagio teas and they have a tea they only sell every 4 years for leapday. Brigadoon tea.  ;D

I placed an order for it in the pretty scottish styled tin and some other teas I haven't had in a while. They have some basics my husband also likes. I like the irish breakfast, Fujian baroque, Yunnan jig and the Ceylon sonata.

https://www.adagio.com/black/brigadoon.html

I bought so much flavored teas over the holidays that I wore myself out of them already. Next year I will limit to maybe the 2 I really like from Teagschwendner like the christmas tea and the Pumkin chai and just get larger amounts of those. Instead of basically getting every holiday tea they had in stock.  ;D

And Teaschwendner has a 15% off everything today at shop.tgtea.com. Code is leapday2020
    « Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:03:26 am by Atunah »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7083 on: March 17, 2020, 07:30:28 am »
    For Saint Patrick's Day I am having a full 6-cup pot of Irish Breakfast tea today!  I'm adding milk and sugar to every delicious cup just because I can and it's a treat.  8)

Corned beef, potatoes and carrots are cooking on low in the slow cooker all day, cabbage wedges to be added later.  Beer bread ingredients ready to go in the bread machine later in time to be still hot with supper.

I virtually share all my comfort food and tea with each of you in these scary days.  Stay safe everyone.  :-*

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #7084 on: March 17, 2020, 09:14:41 am »
    One of the many advantages of retirement was that I was spending more time at home and able to brew and drink tea. Now that we are spending all our time at home, except for trips to get essential needs such as prescription medication, I will be drinking my way through my tea stash. I will be organizing that in the next couple days so that I can drink the oldest first. ;) I will then know when I should think about ordering teas. :D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7085 on: March 17, 2020, 01:56:27 pm »
    I totally forgot today is St. Patrick day. I been out and trying to find food and essentials. Well, I tried a curbside pickup and I had that date days in advance as they are booked out now until next week. Unfortunately, more than half of my order was out of stock. So no eggs, no TP  :-X, and lots of other stuff. At least I got some ground beef, sausage links and one wee bag of shredded cheese. Oh, and I guess there is no run on low carb tortillas either.  ::) They didn't even have any frozen veggies. Folks are going insane here. They are cleaning up the HEB shelves and line up before the stores open.

I have plenty of tea though. And I just got that order from Adagio with the pound of irish tea so I'll make that now too. Since I forgot. So thanks crebel for reminding me.

I was panicking a bit the last couple of days because I got some stoopid eye infection and I really don't want to have to try to find a doc. But thankfully its cleared up a bit so I should be good.

I still have to figure out at some point where to get some of the stuff I am getting out off. TP, eggs. I already placed another curbside pickup for monday and they wont let me add items so no eggs or TP again. Sigh. I'd like to see the garages or sheds of some of those horders.

I been raking leaves this morning. I think the whole neighbor oak trees blow onto my yard and driveway. And a bird pooped on my while I did it.  >:(.
    I need that tea now.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7086 on: March 18, 2020, 08:40:06 am »
    I feel like garbage today.  :( Can't tolerate coffee, which I normally have one cup in the morning and rest of day tea. So I am going to have some of the herbal blend from teagschwendner. Its one made for when you feel sick.
    Its their Ayurveda collection. I have the Kapha and the Vata. I like both, for cold the Kapha is nice. Vata is also good when you don't feel good.

I am guessing its the oak pollen that are trying to kill me right now. At least I hope it is.  :o

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7087 on: March 18, 2020, 10:49:02 am »
    I feel like garbage today.  :( Can't tolerate coffee, which I normally have one cup in the morning and rest of day tea. So I am going to have some of the herbal blend from teagschwendner. Its one made for when you feel sick.
    Its their Ayurveda collection. I have the Kapha and the Vata. I like both, for cold the Kapha is nice. Vata is also good when you don't feel good.

I am guessing its the oak pollen that are trying to kill me right now. At least I hope it is.  :o

May be time to try that tea from your advent calendar that was ginger only, or blending it with a black.  Feel  better soon.

Since I haven't been to the big city since New Year's and non-essential travel is curtailed for now, I finally broke down and called in a tea order to Gong-Fu ( I absolutely HATE putting a credit card number online to order that way).  I did a pound of Wuyi Rock and a half pound of sticky rice tuochas and not any others from there which I usually keep on hand.  As jars of other teas empty, I'm going to relegate them to happy memories - at least until life returns to a more normal footing who knows how long in the future. :(  The Wuyi and the sticky rice were the two teas I decided were most necessary for my mental health :D  The order arrived quickly and to my wonderful surprise, included a full cake of 7-Sons "just because".

Mr. Mike filled my order and we talked about the Camel's Breath nest.  He told me it IS a raw/green puerh - no wonder I wasn't wild about it.  He also said it's the most compressed tea he's ever seen and to prepare it in the shop they literally put it in a cloth bag/under a towel and take a hammer to it.  He said it's the only way to break it apart unless you steam the whole nest, pull it apart, let it dry and then store it as a loose leaf puerh. Now I know ...

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7088 on: March 19, 2020, 03:41:39 pm »
    That is interesting about the camels breath. I too prefer the cooked kind. I love that you have such a great relationship with your tea dealer. I do think though that taking a hammer to that puck might be quite therapeutic. I used to make crushed ice that way, before I had a real refrigerator that is. Now it just comes out of the door like magic.  8)

Good on them giving you that nice gift. You got quite a few folks getting to order from them.

I love getting full pounds of teas. Its just so satisfying seeing that pile of leaves.  ;D

At least I have some eggs today. Hubby went on a hunt and came back with eggs and super packs of bacon.  :D

Thanks for your well wishes, I feel better. I already drank that ginger one some other time I had a stomach issue. Works great on that too.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7089 on: April 01, 2020, 09:00:16 am »
    Today I made a full pot (6C) of the 7-sons puerh.  After it brewed, I immediately started a smaller pot (3-4C) of the same leaves.  It is SO good.

I was going to save it for special occasions, then I decided there aren't going to be any special occasions for a while and why not treat myself while life's options are limited!

Be good to yourselves while we keep up our social distancing/stay at home lifestyle.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7090 on: April 02, 2020, 05:51:05 pm »
    Today I made a full pot (6C) of the 7-sons puerh.  After it brewed, I immediately started a smaller pot (3-4C) of the same leaves.  It is SO good.

I was going to save it for special occasions, then I decided there aren't going to be any special occasions for a while and why not treat myself while life's options are limited!

Be good to yourselves while we keep up our social distancing/stay at home lifestyle.
    I so agree. I had a cake of that 7 sons few years back. Can't recall now when. It lasted quite a while for me and it was just reliably good. Since they don't have a gazillion different cakes like some puerh shops, it was easier to go for it. Not having top pick. Its just a really good one.

I think I'll order a cake of it to have. I still have other tea for now, but I want a nice reliable good puerh again. Plus I like to support the tea stores I normally buy from right now.

Does it still come in the nice box?

I treat every day as a special occasion now. I call my mom in Germany a lot more now on a regular basis, just to chat. Didn't do that before. I enjoy something nice when I find i in the fridge, knowing that is currently sold out at all my stores. I can't even get my low carb ice cream anymore. And I been opening some nicer older wines I keep holding on to for "special" days. I'll drink some of those now. Cause who knows.  :-X

And I'll drink my nice teas and I look out into my yard and I try to just think of nothing at all for a few moments.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7091 on: April 03, 2020, 05:41:29 am »
    Yes, the 7-sons still comes in the beautiful box.  I broke it down into brewing sized pieces and put them in one of my amber quart-sized, wide mouth, mason jars.  I did add the empty box to my gift boxes stash though!  It will work nicely for something in the future. :)

One thing I'm really enjoying during the stay a home restrictions is cooking and baking.  My bread machine quit working, so I am making breads and rolls from scratch again, love it. 

Over the weekends, I pull meats sort of blindly from each sections of my well stocked small chest freezer (divided into beef, pork, poultry, and pre-made casseroles/soups/sauces/leftovers) and into my refrigerator which makes me "have" to use those things somehow in the next week.  Frozen pastas, seafoods and vegetables stay on top in the freezer for easiest access.

I'm incorporating more canned veggies, meats, and fruits to avoid even the grocery store for now.  I'm watching the Food Network more and scouring the various recipe sites for different ideas and it's been fun.

This morning a big pot of Wuyi Rock tea while I have a lazy rainy day devoted to reading and surfing the net! :D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7092 on: April 03, 2020, 05:47:35 pm »
    I made a inventory of my pantry and freezer and fridge. With expiration date and all. So I can plan ahead. I have a grocery store within viewing distance, but I don't want to have to go there if I don't have to. Folks here are using shopping as a family outing. Crazy.

I try to get either amazon fresh or imperfect produce deliveries each week as I can get them.

Its hard as I try to be low carb of keto, but hubby wants what he wants.  :(

I already lost all my tennis and my eurovision. And I can't get my icecream. i am not amused.  :-X

Offline CatherineM

• Don't judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7093 on: April 25, 2020, 11:50:00 pm »
    I am addicted to tea and beer and sometimes I stay up way too late :)

I prefer loose leaf tea. I make it in an old Hall Autumn Leaf pot. Got it a few years ago at a going-out-of-sale-because-we're-moving deal. It was pristine. Never had a pot of tea brewed in it and I felt a tiny bit bad when I stained the little doo-hickeys around the top. I always wonder how much gold I'm rubbing off when I clean it, but, I don't care. They made it to make tea.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7094 on: July 03, 2020, 07:36:30 am »
    I received the Gong-Fu email newsletter yesterday and they had a new-to-me recommendation expected to be in stock within the next week.  Description:

SUN MOON LAKE HONG CHA

This wonderful Black Tea comes to us as a result of our Fall 2008 buying trip to Taiwan. Tea masters there have imported growing stock from India's fabled Assam tea-growing region and established a tea garden in the south of the island that now produces a rich yet mild brew unlike any other tea that we have ever experienced...
    2 oz.-$20.50  4 oz.-$41  8 oz.-$82

As you can see, it is on the more expensive side, but I am thinking about splurging on a small bag to try it when I create my next order.  I am partial to Assam and black teas in general!

Since my birthday is coming up, I think I will cheer myself up with this colorful porcelain teapot from Amazon, too.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7095 on: July 03, 2020, 11:11:17 am »
    Ohhhh, that pot is pretty. I hear you on the splurging. There have been a few items I been splurging lately, especially the last few months. Sometimes we need a pick me up. I've needed a lot of them since March.  :(

That tea sounds really interesting. I think its about time for a gong fu order anyway.

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #7096 on: July 05, 2020, 08:40:40 am »
    That teapot is lovely. This is definitely the year for constant pick-me-ups. This is my birthday month also, and it's time for some new tea supplies. I want to try some new tea varieties and stock up on a few old favorites like Moroccan Mint.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7097 on: July 05, 2020, 09:20:11 am »
    And ... my DH did not get the Amazon order confirmation deleted before I saw it, so he did order the teapot for my birthday, shh, don't tell!  YAY!!!  I can totally act surprised, and happy won't be an act when I open my gift.  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7098 on: July 05, 2020, 12:45:37 pm »
    And ... my DH did not get the Amazon order confirmation deleted before I saw it, so he did order the teapot for my birthday, shh, don't tell!  YAY!!!  I can totally act surprised, and happy won't be an act when I open my gift.  ;D
    Thats so sweet of him. Practice the "OMG really?" face before you open it.  ;D

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7099 on: July 12, 2020, 01:06:00 am »

Since my birthday is coming up, I think I will cheer myself up with this colorful porcelain teapot from Amazon, too.

That teapot is a beauty. Did you order it?
    New York, NY
    Flutist, Legal Services Professional
    Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

KBoards.com

• Advertisement