Author Topic: Kindle Fire First Impressions  (Read 22970 times)  

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Fire First Impressions
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 05:39:28 am »
What about the Fire's email address? The one for personal documents. Does that show up after you connect to the internet?

Yes, mine did-- but it's different than my K3's. I set my K3 to [email protected] My Fire showed up as [email protected] which is the same as my email address, so maybe that's where they got it from.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Lambert

• Michigan
    • Enjoy Life
      • View Profile
      • Special Reports & Books
    « Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 05:49:13 am »
    It's listed in Manage My Kindle Devices section of your amazon account page.

Yes I know, but mine doesn't have an email yet. Will be getting the Fire today. Wondered if it will show up when I connect.

Power Kindle Books Marketing and Promoting

Offline Lambert

• Michigan
    • Enjoy Life
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 05:51:33 am »
    Yes, mine did-- but it's different than my K3's. I set my K3 to [email protected] My Fire showed up as [email protected] which is the same as my email address, so maybe that's where they got it from.

OK, I see. Thanks

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 06:37:05 am »
    I've got random numbers following my name for the email address.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline JetJammer

• Colorado
    • Flight #1623
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 06:41:31 am »
    The EMail addresses can be changed, just like your Kindle name from the manage your device page at Amazon, personal documents settings..  I don't think there are any restrictions, as long as you pick an address that isn't already taken.
    « Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:51:33 am by JetJammer »

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  -  Mark Twain

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 08:30:25 am »
    A few suggestions for concerns expressed thus far:

For worries about accidentally putting the device to sleep because the on/off button is on the bottom:  this one is easy.  Turn it upside-down!  The text will right itself after a second, and the on/off button will be on top.

Yes.  Because, after all, what is "top" and what is "bottom".  For that matter, what is "sideways". :D

What about the Fire's email address? The one for personal documents. Does that show up after you connect to the internet?

You've gotten some answers. . .yes, once you get connected your email address for the Fire will appear.  It will be based on the address you have with Amazon with numbers after it to make it unique.  You can then change it on MYK and there don't seem to be any restrictions except that it has to be something not already taken.  Then the next time you sync the Fire it will update.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Lambert

• Michigan
    • Enjoy Life
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 08:44:45 am »
    Just got my Fire about 11:30 here in Michigan.

Plugged it in to charge. Turned it on and connected to WiFi.

Selected EST(time zone) and pressed connect.  It just stopped there and wouldn't continue.

Thinking it may need to be charged all the way first.

Offline Edge

• Spring, TX
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 08:54:03 am »
    I did a video review of the Fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn2kza50Z8w

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: November 16, 2011, 12:22:38 pm »
    Just got my Fire about 11:30 here in Michigan.

Plugged it in to charge. Turned it on and connected to WiFi.

Selected EST(time zone) and pressed connect.  It just stopped there and wouldn't continue.

Thinking it may need to be charged all the way first.

probably a good idea. . .especially as one of the first things it will do is download a software update and it needs a full charge to do that.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline mark1529

• View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: November 17, 2011, 01:01:37 pm »

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: November 17, 2011, 01:38:47 pm »
    The Fire that I ordered was for DH.  But I got home and found that he had gotten one for me too!!!  So I had been playing with it for a few days now.  I really like it.  The form factor is nice - it feels like it's solidly made but I can hold it in one hand. 

It does have a highly modified version of Android and the user interface is really different so if you go in expecting it to act like your Android phone or tablet, you will be disappointed.  I am mostly upset at the lack of customizing options for the input methods - you are stuck with their keyboard and you can't turn off stupid autocorrect...  It's also impossible at this time to delete the built-in apps even if you don't want them and I am not crazy about the carousel thing that takes up most of the screen real estate but I am learning to look past it.

The display is beautiful and the sound is pretty good.  The streaming videos from Amazon Prime are amazing - even with all the stuff in our house using the network, there were no stutters at all in the feed.  I did go ahead and purchase a few favorite movies and load them on the Fire so I can watch them even when I am not connected. 

A few minor quibbles with the design that echo what others have said - why no volume controls?? Physical buttons would have been much easier to use than the slider on the screen which does not show up in some games, by the way.  The power switch is too easy to bump.  I think having it in a case will help.  And yes, you can turn it upside down until you get an app that insists only one way is up!  So far Words with Friends and Cut the Rope have forced me to hold it right-side-up.

I haven't played much with the book part other than to load a few, change the background to the sepia tones and select Trebouchet as my font.  I am really not interested in reading for long periods of time on a backlit screen.  And I have a bit of a distraction problem trying to read on a tablet - I have to check email, FB, play games, install apps, listen to music, etc.  My mindset is not right for losing myself in a book.  If I am going to read for long periods of time, I will pull out an e-ink Kindle and use that.

Offline D/W

• View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: November 17, 2011, 07:11:57 pm »
    I am mostly upset at the lack of customizing options for the input methods - you are stuck with their keyboard and you can't turn off stupid autocorrect...

Andra, how nice that your husband surprised you with a Fire!!!

I don't have a Fire, so I can't test this, but on pages 15-16 in the Kindle Fire User's Guide (Chapter 4, "Settings") it mentions that there are three keyboard settings that you can turn on/off: sound on keypress, auto capitalization, and quick fixes. I believe that may be the autocorrect feature that you don't like, but I'm not sure. Tap the Quick Settings icon on the Status Bar (upper right of screen) and then tap on "More" to get to the keyboard settings.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:15:38 pm by DreamWeaver »
    A smile can make someone's day. :) Life is short. Be kind.

Offline TessM

• NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 03:48:54 am »
    I love my Fire so far. I do need to get a case (it's too thin-my hand starts cramping).  It streams music from the cloud flawlessly. Video streaming from Prime is great and I just borrowed and furnished The Hunger Games from the lending library. I don't really like that the period is rightnext to the spacebar on the keyboard.
    No pressure, no diamonds- Mary Case

Offline JetJammer

• Colorado
    • Flight #1623
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 05:43:10 am »
    I don't really like that the period is rightnext to the spacebar on the keyboard.

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that!  I can't tell you how many times I've looked up to see something I typed has periods instead of spaces.

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  -  Mark Twain

Offline monkeyluis

• Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads Profile
    « Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 05:46:40 am »
    LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that!  I can't tell you how many times I've looked up to see something I typed has periods instead of spaces.

I keep trying to double tap the spacebar like in iOS where it adds the period.  LOL.. Grrrrr.
    Have ebooks, will read.

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: November 19, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »
    I bought the fire for my hubby for Christmas and I have two questions.  Say we take this somewhere with wifi.  Can we hop on other wifi spots?  Also, I know he's not going to want my kindle library.  But if I delete them from the fire, will they be deleted from my K3?  Thanks if anyone knows the answers!

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: November 20, 2011, 03:56:37 am »
    I bought the fire for my hubby for Christmas and I have two questions.  Say we take this somewhere with wifi.  Can we hop on other wifi spots?  Also, I know he's not going to want my kindle library.  But if I delete them from the fire, will they be deleted from my K3?  Thanks if anyone knows the answers!

You can use wi-fi devices anywhere there's a wi-fi hotspot - you may have to pay though most will be free. Sometimes, like at a hotel they will just tell you the password you need, others you have to log into via the browser.

You Amazon books remain in your archive whether downloaded to a device or not. You can download to one or several devices at the same time (depending on the licences available - usually abour six on most books). Removing any you've downloaded to one device won't delete them from any other device.

Linda

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: November 20, 2011, 04:16:50 am »
    You can use wi-fi devices anywhere there's a wi-fi hotspot - you may have to pay though most will be free. Sometimes, like at a hotel they will just tell you the password you need, others you have to log into via the browser.

You Amazon books remain in your archive whether downloaded to a device or not. You can download to one or several devices at the same time (depending on the licences available - usually abour six on most books). Removing any you've downloaded to one device won't delete them from any other device.

Thanks so much! 

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: November 20, 2011, 05:49:57 am »
    One thing about the fire:  the main interface on  the home page is the 'carousel' and, at this time, it basically shows ALL content on the account to which the device is registered, whether downloaded to the device or not. 

So:  if his fire is registered to YOUR account, yes, he'll see all your books in the carousel.

BUT:  if he goes to 'books' he can choose to see just what's downloaded to the device.

Also, it is possible to load apps from elsewhere than Amazon; among those apps are some other 'launcher' programs that eliminate the carousel and make the screen look more like a generic android. . .
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Valerie Zambito

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: November 22, 2011, 06:25:24 am »
    Did not read through all the posts and this might have already been said.  Absolutely love the Kindle Fire, but do not like the fact that I cannot manage the carousel.  I do not want all of my web searches and books made available for anybody who picks up my Kindle.  Hope they fix in the future. 

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: November 24, 2011, 06:12:25 am »
    Turns out there is a way to modify the carousel a bit; see this post:  https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,92718.msg1445618.html#msg1445618
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Valerie Zambito

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: November 24, 2011, 06:43:18 am »
    Thank you, Ann!  I will take a look.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: November 26, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »
    I didn't have a huge amount of luck with that technique.. . .was able to remove some apps. . . .but nothing else. :-\
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Marlina

• View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: November 28, 2011, 04:21:33 pm »
    I don't have any impressions yet, however my Kindle fire is in the mail!!! I will be back with my review..And this is my first post!!
    I love my kindle more than my Husband.Is it normal?

Offline D/W

• View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: November 28, 2011, 04:24:34 pm »
    I don't have any impressions yet, however my Kindle fire is in the mail!!! I will be back with my review..And this is my first post!!

Welcome to Kindle Boards, Marlina! I hope you will enjoy your new Fire!
    A smile can make someone's day. :) Life is short. Be kind.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement