Kindle Forum banner

I've had my Kindle Touch all of 10 seconds!

23K views 65 replies 30 participants last post by  AllenSco 
#1 ·
Alright, let me see.  I am not a professional reviewer.  So forgive me.  I do adore writing but I have a feeling this will be jumbled.  So again, forgive me.  That and I have 3 little ones running about right now so I'm distracted.  LOL!

I bought a 3G with Special Offers.

As the Fed Ex guy approached my house I was amazed by how small the delivery box was.  Especially because I knew it housed TWO Kindle Touches.  One for me and one that will be a Christmas Gift.  First thought upon opening the box.  Wow it IS small yet it still feels substantial in my hands.  Definitely not cheap.  That's important to me.  I hate it when things don't feel worth the money I spent. 

I peeled the plastic screen thing off and turned it on.  It flashed, and then seemed to turn off.  Then I was distracted by my toddler.  The next thing I knew it was running an update. 

Once I really got into I was disoriented for a minute.  I was only reading on my Kindle Keyboard a bit ago.  So trying to figure out where menus and settings and such were took a few moments.  It didn't help that I had a toddler bouncing on my lap.  She's begging for a nap!

I got it connected to my wifi easily and registered (we had bought in my DH's account since he has prime - now I do too, we'll cancel his). 

I think it is responsive to touch.  I guess it is slower to respond than say... my iphone.  But that doesn't bother me.  It actually feels elegant in its response if that makes a bit of sense.  I LOVE the touch.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE not scrolling around with that darn uncomfortable 5 way on my other kindle.  I like that it doesn't flash every screen I suppose.  I never really noticed it before but I'd say it's an improvement. 

I've got to get used to not sliding to turn it on and the home button not being where I'm used to it.  And now I have LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of downloading to do.

So there you have it!  Thumbs up so far!

See less See more
#9 ·
My daughter and I are on Kindle Touch watch today. Can't wait to get it. Surely it has the capability of reading in landscape mode. Was there a Kindle Touch guide already loaded on it when you turned it on?

#10 ·
Cindy416 said:
My daughter and I are on Kindle Touch watch today. Can't wait to get it. Surely it has the capability of reading in landscape mode. Was there a Kindle Touch guide already loaded on it when you turned it on?
I'm looking through that now. I hope I find it for you!

eta: a search for "landscape" of Kindle User's Guide that comes with the device turned up nothing.

ETA2: I skimmed the whole built in User's Guide and could find no mention of it.

Something new I found... there is a separate toolbar for periodicals. It shows up just when viewing those.

#11 ·
Organizing collections is different.  Instead of choosing a book and choosing your collection with that one book you now go to the collection and choose add/remove items to this collection.  Then you must swipe through a list of every single book on your Kindle.  You tap a check box to add or remove books from the collection.  I don't think I like that!  It seemed to take me longer as I couldn't remember exactly which book was what and where I wanted it.

And right now I have only a fraction of the books on the thing as I have in my account.  For example, I wanted to put Nicholas and Alexandria into one collection.  But in my head it was called Alexandria and Nicholas... I couldn't find it!  Ugh!

ETA:  I'm sorry I didn't realize!  If I tap and hold an item on my home screen a menu comes up that allows me to add it a collection with much less fuss.  So there are actually 2 ways to do this!  VERY cool!

And the articles list in periodicals looks different too.  More grid style and less of a list.

#15 ·
ersott said:
Hello again ;)

Can you find any difference between the kindle 3´s screen and kindle touch?. What´s better? or otherwise are equal...

thanks!
I held them both up to window light and they look exactly the same to me. (Minus the fact that I know realize my K3 is a little dirty - maybe I should wipe it down before I hand it over to the hubby?) Other than that the Touch's screen is set a little deeper in. The K3 screen is almost flush with the sides if that makes any sense.

That other thing I noticed... when the K3 is downloading something you'll see a little spinning arrow in the top corner. The touch has that too but you'll also see the title that is downloading faded out with the word downloading next to it down in your list. So you can actually see what's downloading without going to the menu. Clear as mud?

#20 ·
CrystalStarr said:
ETA: I'm sorry I didn't realize! If I tap and hold an item on my home screen a menu comes up that allows me to add it a collection with much less fuss. So there are actually 2 ways to do this! VERY cool!

And the articles list in periodicals looks different too. More grid style and less of a list.
This sounds really good. :)
The more I read the more I like the Touch.

#21 ·
You can transfer your collections from one Kindle to the next. Send all the books that you want first. Then go to the collections option on the menu. You should be given the chance to import collections from a different device. If you chose this, the collections will be moved and your books sorted. It is a real time saver.

#22 ·
CrystalStarr said:
Is any of it metal? The back has a rubbery feel to it and the front feels more like a strong plastic.
Yeah, I really like the feel of the back. If I do buy a skin for my touch I don't think I'll put the back skin decal on.

Overall this is a significant upgrade over my Kindle 2. I'm very pleased.

#24 ·
ProfCrash said:
You can transfer your collections from one Kindle to the next. Send all the books that you want first. Then go to the collections option on the menu. You should be given the chance to import collections from a different device. If you chose this, the collections will be moved and your books sorted. It is a real time saver.
There is no collections option in the menu. Just Create a New Collection. I'd love to be able to do this though!

#25 ·
I got my Touch this afternoon.  I purchased it using my own name on Amazon.  When I went to home it showed 4 books that were in my archives under my own name.  I went in and reregistered using my wifes name and account.  I now have access to all our archived items which is fine.  However, when I go to the home page not only are the books I downloaded to the Touch today but also the 4 books in my users name.  Its not a big problem but strange.  Initially I was trying to go to page 2 in my home but that basically just opened a book.  However, after reading the documentation I found out you had to swipe to get to page 2.

One other thing.  I find the keyboard very difficult to use.  I don't have large fingers but find it much easier to use a stylus to type. 

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.