Author Topic: Some folks just don't get it...  (Read 2597 times)  

Offline samanthawarren

• New York
  • This Ain't Your Mama's Apocalypse
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Some folks just don't get it...
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 05:54:22 am »
Heh, one of those people who made me feel bad about getting a Kindle in the first place just asked me what I thought of them, because they're thinking of getting one. Finally! Then she'll understand. She's not much of a reader (one of those who owns my books, but hasn't bothered to read them yet because there's no smut in them), but maybe this will light a Fire under her. Get it? Fire? I'm so funny.
Samantha Warren
Speculative Fiction Author

Nominate ZOMBIE NATION for Kindle Scout beginning 7/8!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CrystalStarr

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:39 am »
    Yeah - I'll get that at home from DH & DD; but DS will totally get it.

It isn't my husband. He my loves no matter what so long as thebills are paid and we are saving. But many in my family don't agree with my life choices. I left my career to homeschool my children. I do run my own business on the side but they certainly do not take that seriously. I don't know why, as I can earn double per hour what I used to. So anything I do is just dumb. I own a Kindle Touch and a Fire. A laptop. And an iphone. But my kindle 3 was less than a year old. My husband owns it now.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 06:54:13 am »
    How do you see yourself using your Xoom and Fire, Ann? I knew I getting a Fire was a total luxury for me, but I love the idea of having a smaller tablet to carry around in my purse and a larger one to use at home. I use the Xoom almost exclusively now, hardly ever turning on my desktop or netbook. But it can be a bit heavy to hail around in a purse. The Fire is much more portable.

I've not got that entirely worked out yet. . . .the Fire still is kind of a toy. . .but definitely more portable than the Xoom.  I don't do that much with movies and music but now maybe I will. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline dbeman

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 07:12:32 am »
    Years ago I used to carry a wireless phone, an iPod, and a Palm Pilot to work each day. Then I bought an iPhone. My justification? Instead of lugging around three devices I had one device that could fit in my hip pocket that would fulfill all of those functions and more.

Then Apple introduced the iPad. Which I resisted for months. When I finally bought one I justified it because it allowed me to check email and surf the web from the comfort of my living room and was less cumbersome than lugging out the laptop. I could also use it to read e-books rather than lugging the 800+ page tomes I typically read from room to room.

Then I tried to read outside on my deck. The glare was too much. So I bought an e-ink reader.

So in just a handful of years I'm back to carrying three devices to work each day, yet somehow I consider this "progress!"  :D

Offline Elk

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 08:20:26 am »
    It isn't my husband. He my loves no matter what so long as thebills are paid and we are saving. But many in my family don't agree with my life choices. I left my career to homeschool my children. I do run my own business on the side but they certainly do not take that seriously. I don't know why, as I can earn double per hour what I used to. So anything I do is just dumb.

It appears to me that you are making excellent choices.  :)

Offline CrystalStarr

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 04:24:17 pm »
    It appears to me that you are making excellent choices.  :)

Oh thank you.  :D

Offline Pushka

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 05:18:12 pm »
    I'm not sure my husband realizes I have 2 kindles, a Xoom, and now a Fire.  It's not like I hide them, they're sitting right there on the table.  He just doesn't pay attention.  His cell phone is 4 or 5 years old. . .so, to that extent, he doesn't get "new, shiny".  But he is very good with computers.  Also with building stuff. . .he buys tools when I buy gadgets. :)

I have found that making sure that all the devices have matching covers more than assist in maintaining this. :)

Offline Patrizia

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    Re: Re: Some folks just don't get it...
    « Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 05:23:10 pm »
    I hear you.. a K2, two K3, baby K, Touch and Fire, Ipad and nook Color..iphone as well and I'm.the only one who uses them

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    We never see things as they are... We see them as we are... Anais Nin

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle PW 4 & Voyage
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:09 pm »
    I have found that making sure that all the devices have matching covers more than assist in maintaining this. :)

OOooooh... That's a GREAT idea!!  :)

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:26 pm »
    My SO thinks it's silly that I'm keeping my K3 to read on, but I've only spent an hour on the Fire & my eyes are exhausted (& that 'sepia' stuff is not any easier on the eyes!). Silly for him to complain, since if we're both reading he'll get the Fire, but he doesn't know that yet  :P

Gee whiz.  Someone paid for your K3 (you?) so why should you dump or sell it?  I don't understand why people think we need to get rid of our older toys.  It's your only e-ink reader.

My co-worker thinks I'm crazy.  It started when I bought the K4 while still having a K3.  She has a Nook Color and uses it a lot, but it was a Christmas present from her husband (otherwise she wouldn't have bothered).  She's not a gadget aficionado.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

KBoards.com

• Advertisement