Poll

Would you eat the man who had been magicked into chicken pie?

Yes - even though it didn't exactly taste of chicken.
1 (33.3%)
No.
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Dark Tidings - Ancient magic meets the Internet  (Read 1129 times)  

Offline Ken Magee

• Explorer of ancient magic and the Internet.
    • View Profile
    • The Strange World of Ken Magee
Dark Tidings - Ancient magic meets the Internet
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:12:00 am »
Dark Tidings has recently been released on Kindle. Here's the blurb...

The thief, the wizard and the computer hacker.

Way back in the medieval mists of time, a thief and a disgraced wizard are thrust together in an executioners dungeon.

In the darkness, the wizard reveals an incredible secret about a legendary spell. They use the great spell to escape their prison cell... and eventually their century.

Catapulted into the 21st century, their lives collide with a computer hacker who has plans to wipe out the worlds largest bank. But dangerous people are tracking their every move

What happens when ancient magic meets the internet? One thing is sure, modern life will never be the same again.

This is my debut novel and I really hope you find it as much fun to read as I found it to write. It's an adventure which kept me on the edge of my seat... and it made me laugh out loud too! I'd love to hear what you think.

Thank you, Ken.
What happens when ancient magic meets the internet?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ken Magee

• View Profile
    Re: Dark Tidings - Ancient magic meets the Internet
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:16:54 pm »
    Three nice reviews on Amazon.co.uk... non-authors will probably not understand why a good review feels so good!

Imagine the worlds of Terry Pratchett and Dan Brown coming together - Dark Tidings provides a witty and clever read that will appeal to all readers.

Dark Tidings is funny and exciting - I'm not sure I liked the men who were turned into chickens being made into stew - but it did make me laugh!

I came across this book recently and although I rarely read fiction, I simply loved Dark Tidings. I found myself reading only a few pages per day as I didnt want it to end!!!
    This would make a terrific movie, its the kind of book that even when you finish reading it, you re-run the whole thing in your head.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Ken Magee

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:50:46 am »
    I am extremely grateful for the recent review on UK Kindle Users Forum - the UK equivalent of KindleBoards.

Here's the review...

What happens when ancient magic meets the internet? One thing is sure, modern life will never be the same again." Now that's certainly an eye catching tag-line. It caught my eye again and again, so then I just had to read it. And, boy, is it a damn fine read.

The two stories run seperately for the early portion of the book. You know their paths will meet at some point, but it's not like you are waiting for this to happen before the story can get going. The separate stories are enjoyable in themselves.

I thought this story was quite original. It's probably not, but it had that fresh feel to it. Try it - you may very well like it. Thumbs Up

A review that is greatly appreciated. Every new author will tell you how important a review is. Someone has enjoyed the book enough to take the time to write something about their experience - brilliant.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:05:58 pm »
    Welcome to KindleBoards, Ken, and congratulations on your book!  :)

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum.  Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so post this note in every thread. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it and add to it when there is more information, as we ask that authors have only one thread per book.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
    Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Ken Magee

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:06:36 am »
    Hi, Just to let you know that Dark Tidings is now available in the Kindle lending scheme.

I hope some of you will be able to take advantage of it.

Offline Ken Magee

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:20:47 am »
    I was delighted to get my first review on amazon.com recently...

Thank you John (CA) for this...

I read Dark Tidings based on a friend's recommendation and I must say I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's an exciting fantasy adventure with plenty of laugh out loud moments. The main plot is about an ancient spell which has time travelled to the present day. There are lots of sub plots including one which exposes a banking conspiracy - it explains why the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer. Definitely worth a read. Exciting and funny book!

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tidings-ebook/dp/B0064TN0KS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323857307&sr=8-3 

I've had quite a few on amazon.co.uk already so it was great to get one here. Maybe it'll open the review floodgate!

Offline Ken Magee

• View Profile
    Dark Tidings - Ancient magic meets the Internet
    « Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:22:15 am »
    The Dark Tidings sequel is due to be published next month. I hope lots more people get the chance to read book 1 before then.

Dark Tidings tells how the Internet becomes infected with some ancient magic. The sequel tracks the people who are trying to fix the catastrophe.

Offline Ken Magee

• View Profile
    Re: Dark Tidings - The Sequel
    « Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:03:51 am »
    The Dark Tidings sequel is with the publisher for final formatting. We've still to agree the title and the blurb. Here's the working draft of the blurb just to give you a flavour of the story...

Ancient magic has infected the Internet and its going to destroy civilisation as we know it.

Previously - Ancient magic has transported Tung, a young thief, and Madrick, a has-been wizard, across a millennium. The powerful magic they brought with them was unwittingly spread over the Internet by Michael, a hacker whose good intentions far outstripped his common sense.

Problem - Civilisation simply cant handle the unforeseen consequences of the magic and the only people who can prevent the ensuing catastrophe are the same three who created the mess in the first place.

Now - To make matters even worse, evil wizards have followed Tung and Madrick through time. Theyre determined to hunt down and destroy the pair, and with them, our modern way of life. Saving the world has just got a whole lot harder.

Offline Ken Magee

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:01 am »
    The Dark Tidings sequel now has a name! It's called The Black Conspiracy and it's due for release at the end of August.

It's a funny, contemporary fantasy/thriller. This is the blurb...

Ancient magic has infected the Internet and its going to destroy civilisation as we know it.

Previously - Ancient magic has transported Tung, a young thief, and Madrick, a has-been wizard, across a millennium. The powerful magic they brought with them was unwittingly spread over the Internet by Michael, a hacker whose good intentions far outstripped his common sense.

Problem - Civilisation simply cant handle the unforeseen consequences of the magic and the only people who can prevent the ensuing catastrophe are the same three who created the mess in the first place.

Now - To make matters even worse, evil wizards have followed Tung and Madrick through time. Theyre determined to hunt down and destroy the pair, and with them, our modern way of life. Saving the world has just got a whole lot harder.

Thanks for reading this, I hope some of you try the book... you will laugh!

Offline Ken Magee

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:16:22 pm »
    I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan, so I was delighted to read the following review for Dark Tidings.

If you like Terry Pratchett, you'll enjoy this new author and the first book in what is sure to shape up as a delightful series. Dark Tidings weaves a complicated plot entangling heroes from the far past with a hero from the present who all share a common and formidable enemy.

I especially enjoyed how Mr. Magee interwove modern conspiracy theories and current events into his story. It added a fun touch of modernism to the adventures of Tung, Madrick and Michael. There were also plenty of laughs added in to the suspense, magic and technology of the story, which all worked to keep me entertained and enthralled.

It is brilliant for an author when a reader takes the time to record their thoughts in a review... thank you so much to the reader who posted this.

Offline Ken Magee

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 02:51:46 am »
    The Dark Tidings sequel has been given some great reviews... here's an extract from one which refers back to book 1...

This book is the sequel to Dark Tidings which was an interesting amalgam of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1), The Da Vinci Code, and Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker,three books that I enjoyed immensely. Magic, secret organizations, time travel, and computer/internet manipulation set the storyline for these two books.

Here's the full review.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement