Author Topic: Where to go after Michael Connelly?  (Read 5342 times)  

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Screensavers
Re: Where to go after Michael Connelly?
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2012, 04:14:30 am »
I've never been able to get into the Bosch series, despite about 5 different attempts over the years. I think I've finished the first book and made it about halfway through the second. That said, if you like Bosch, you'll probably love Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon too. Although he's an assassin, not a cop. Don't get me wrong, I didn't make it through that series either.

Lee Child is my favorite author by a mile. If you like intelligent mysteries, I think you'll like Reacher for sure.

Another great LAPD series is Stephen J. Cannell's Shane Scully novels. He plays a robbery homicide detective married to an LAPD lieutenant who happens to also be his boss. Cannell recently passed as well, so though a couple have been released since his passing, I don't think there will be any more.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: April 11, 2012, 07:41:28 pm »
    I read a few of the Jesse Stone series, I think. Very enjoyable as I recall. I hope I don't get too caught up in the lack of modern technology problems of books set in the 80s and 90s and can enjoy some more, lol. Even the Sue Grafton/Kinsey Millhone stories are seeming way outdated to me, even though they're still being written.

I kinda like the fact that she's kept Kinsey in "her time" without all our current technology - I don't want Kinsey to be my age, which she probably would be if she'd been "aged" accurately.  I wonder if it's difficult for her to maintain that, though - if she has to stop herself from having Kinsey google people, or reach for her cell phone when she's in the drive-thru picking up a quarter-pounder with cheese...  :)

As far as Jesse Stone & Sunny Randall go, Parker started writing them in 1997 & 1999, and I think they're less "dated" than the early Spenser books would be (he started writing them in 1973).  I started reading those in the early 90's - someone gave me a bag full of all of them (up to that point) and I blitzed through them.  Loved Spenser almost as much as I loved John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee (I totally wanted to marry him - despite the fact I was already happily married...)
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline nmg222

• View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: April 12, 2012, 06:01:25 am »
    I've never been able to get into the Bosch series, despite about 5 different attempts over the years. I think I've finished the first book and made it about halfway through the second. That said, if you like Bosch, you'll probably love Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon too. Although he's an assassin, not a cop. Don't get me wrong, I didn't make it through that series either.

Lee Child is my favorite author by a mile. If you like intelligent mysteries, I think you'll like Reacher for sure.

I tried Lee Child, I really did.  I gave it 5 books and couldn't take anymore.  The most silly contrived plots I have come across.  Whereas the Bosch and Allon series are easily my favorites, with Daniel Silva currently in the lead.

And this is why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors.
    I would display all of my books here but I haven't written any.

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #78 on: April 12, 2012, 06:35:50 am »
    Absolutely agree that tastes are very subjective... it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things! =)

Offline Eric C

• View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: April 12, 2012, 07:25:46 am »
    What about T. Jefferson Parker? He's twice won the Edgar for best novel of the year.

One of the very best mystery/suspense novels I've read in the last ten years was Silent Joe, and his first book, Laguna Heat, is superb too and has an interesting history--he rewrote it five times from scratch over five years before seeking a publisher. He's written some short series but more often does stand alones.

He uses SoCal for his settings as Connelly most often does.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:27:54 am by Eric C »

Offline fancynancy

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: May 29, 2012, 05:52:45 pm »

Thanks for the recommendation!  I'm about halfway through the first one (Killing Floor) and the writing is very good, and as you say, intelligent.  My poor husband, however, is afraid to be in bed with me when I'm reading it because I'm so on edge, I jump every time he moves.  It's probably not the best bedtime reading, but I'm hooked!  ;D

Offline henryandhenrybooks

• Oxford, MS
    • father and son team writing fiction thrillers
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: May 30, 2012, 06:02:47 am »
    Don't forget Joseph Wambaugh. If your interested in walking the beat in a LAPD
    coppers shoes, he's the writer for you. Unlike Connelly and other writers
    he tends to inject a little comic relief throughout. Very nice. Check out:
    -Hollywood Moon
    -Hollywood Crows
    -Hollywood Station

Offline RJMcDonnell

• View Profile
      • RJ McDonnell
    « Reply #82 on: May 30, 2012, 12:55:43 pm »
    I'm looking forward to Nelson DeMille's upcoming release, "The Panther." It's the latest in his excellent John Corey series. I love the way he mixes action, humor, and terrorist concerns that could easily come from tomorrow's headlines.

The Rock & Roll Mystery Series
    RJ McDonnell | website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement