Author Topic: About to begin A Clash of Kings (Jan 16th or thereabouts)  (Read 1389 times)  

Offline jason10mm

• View Profile
About to begin A Clash of Kings (Jan 16th or thereabouts)
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:42:36 pm »
Happy new year everyone! I figure we will start ACOK in a few weeks, maybe just after the MLK holiday. Should give folks time to finish up their current reading. ACOK is a big book, might take 7-8 weeks, we'll see. Looking forward to it as the next season of AGOT starts up in just a few months!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline foreverjuly

• Crank Up The Awesome!
      • View Profile
      • Jason Letts's Blogathon
    Re: About to begin A Clash of Kings (Jan 16th or thereabouts)
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:24:19 pm »
    Woot! And unfortunately I'm even farther along...just starting A Feast for Crows. It'll be fun to look back, but I'll do my best not to ruin anything nor make arguments that would only turn out to be right based on things that are revealed later in the story. Can't wait for season 2 also!

Offline ljcrochet

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:05:19 pm »
    I can't wait. 

Offline MichaelPaytonMZ

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:23:01 pm »
    Hopefully I can start and finish AGOT before this. I've been kinda busy and haven't had a chance to start it yet. I just watched the TV show a few weeks ago and it was my first exposure to the story, and I really loved it. Would I be missing out on anything plot-wise if I just jumped right into ACOK first? Did the TV show cover it enough that I won't be lost?

Offline foreverjuly

• Crank Up The Awesome!
      • View Profile
      • Jason Letts's Blogathon
    « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 08:15:05 am »
    Hopefully I can start and finish AGOT before this. I've been kinda busy and haven't had a chance to start it yet. I just watched the TV show a few weeks ago and it was my first exposure to the story, and I really loved it. Would I be missing out on anything plot-wise if I just jumped right into ACOK first? Did the TV show cover it enough that I won't be lost?

That's a tough call. I watched the first couple episodes before I started AGOT, and I sort of knew everything that was going to happen for the first couple hundred pages. That said, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of the fleshed out story. It has been a lot of fun to read with the group though. I'd say you'd be perfectly fine to pick up ACOK first. You'll always be able to go back to AGOT later when you've forgotten some of the details to make it fresher.

Look forward to having you with us, Michael and lj!

Offline jason10mm

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:03:08 pm »
    If you have just watched GOT then you could jump into ACOK, the show is amazingly faithful, but unless you have no chance to read AGOT then I would recomend reading it and catching up with us on ACOK as you can. We frequently have stragglers and the pace isn't really that fast. But the show is a pretty good summary, about as good as reading a towerifthehand.com summary, perhaps.

Offline DYB

• NYC
    • Now Reading: "'Salem's Lot"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:58:10 am »
    Oh, I totally missed this announcement!!!  Blargh!  And started reading "Helter Skelter" a couple of days ago.  Maybe I'm not far enough in...we're literally starting the reading today, right?

Offline jason10mm

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 08:32:20 pm »
    You have time. We are starting the discussion today but with 6 weeks ahead of us, you should be able to finish your current reading and catch up. Quite frankly ACOK is a book most folks will power through anyway, even on repeat reads, spreading it out over 6 weeks is just to distribute the questions :)

Offline DYB

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 03:16:40 pm »
    "Helter Skelter" is a looong book.  I finished it yesterday and started ACOK today; just the Prolog so far.  It's a long one.  So much to catch up to!

Offline jason10mm

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 06:31:48 am »
    We will be here!

Offline KindleGyrl

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 05:10:08 pm »
    Hello All,

So happy I found this group  :).  I am reading this currently, and have no one to talk to about it.  Based on the weeks posted, I am at week 4, up to about the halfway point of the questions.

Offline DYB

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 08:03:15 pm »
    Hello All,

So happy I found this group  :).  I am reading this currently, and have no one to talk to about it.  Based on the weeks posted, I am at week 4, up to about the halfway point of the questions.

Start discussing!

Offline jason10mm

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:24 pm »
    Feel free to either pop in to one of the earlier threads (we will see that it has a recent entry) or hang on for 2 weeks and I'll have a whole book discussion.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement