Author Topic: Do things authors say make you NOT want to read thier books?  (Read 14801 times)  

Offline kisala9906

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
Do things authors say make you NOT want to read thier books?
« on: January 05, 2012, 08:55:11 am »
This post made me decide to NOT read a book that I was considering before, am I the only one who does this?
[link removed]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:18:04 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    Re: Do things authors say make you NOT want to read there books?
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:06:18 am »
    No you are not the only one. I have removed books from my to be read pile and placed others in my "never read anything by" based on posts here at KB.
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Danielle Kazemi

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Danielle's Facebook Fan Site
    Re: Do things authors say make you NOT want to read thier books?
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:13:35 am »
    I think a lot of people forget they need to keep their image up. Quite a few times I get turned off from reading by an attitude. Also goes for actors, musicians, etc. I have a few of those on my never-watch list because I cannot get past their rude, real life attitudes. On the other hand, if I spot one being nice, I am more inclined to try their stuff. I have found some great new stuff that way.
    Free:
    Danielle Kazemi | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
      • View Profile
      • My Eclectic Range
    « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:39:21 am »
    No you are not the only one. I have removed books from my to be read pile and placed others in my "never read anything by" based on posts here at KB.

I'm the same way, Intinst. Don't get me wrong. I've discovered some wonderful writers here on the KB, and many of them are KB members whose posts I love to read. On those occasions when I've run into posts that completely turn me off, I won't read the books that those people have written. I feel the same way about writers' posts that are riddled with errors. I have too many books that were written by people who really care about their craft to waste my time and money on those of writers who simply churn out poor quality books.

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 09:43:20 am »
    I'm the same way, Intinst. Don't get me wrong. I've discovered some wonderful writers here on the KB, and many of them are KB members whose posts I love to read. On those occasions when I've run into posts that completely turn me off, I won't read the books that those people have written. I feel the same way about writers' posts that are riddled with errors. I have too many books that were written by people who really care about their craft to waste my time and money on those of writers who simply churn out poor quality books.
    You remind me that I forgot to mention that I also put authors on "buy every book by" based on other posts and general demeanor here at KB.
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline kisala9906

• Las Vegas, NV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:49:00 am »
    You all have made me make two new list on my GR account! Will never read and authors I love! =)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 09:58:59 am »
    This post made me decide to NOT read a book that I was considering before, am I the only one who does this?

Well I just removed this one from my list also. I had a sample since it has been recommended so much on Romance/YA forums. After reading that immature authors drivel, I deleted the sample off my Kindle and yes, I do have a list.

Its also not the first time I removed a sample or a TBR. I was vocal about this recently here.

So absolutely it affects my buying and reading that way. There are a lot of books out there that I wont bother with an author that acts like a bratty child. Its a total turn off for me.

In the 3 years I been here on KB specifically I have come across writers that lost me forever as a reader, just by their comments. Others if they wrote in genres I read, I would pick up in a heartbeat based on the same.

You are what you speak. And there are many virtual eyes on those words.
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:18:32 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline jumbojohnny

• View Profile
      • The other Scalloped Potatoes
    « Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:15:52 pm »
    Nope, makes no difference to me. I am a big big fan of Philip Pullman's books, but his personal views and public utterances on certain things are anathema to me. I am a fan of the books, not the man, despite the fact that his books - just like CS Lewis's books before him - represent a personal yet flowery take on things.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
    • Me
      • View Profile
      • Lisa Grace
    « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 01:35:54 pm »
    I think when readers spend money on books they are entitled to share their opinion. (which is why I love the verified purchase heads-up on Amazon). I also think authors should not respond to critical reviews.

Angel books in movie development
    Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

bardsandsages

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 01:46:00 pm »
    The only time an author's statements made me not want to read a book is when the author queried me to review a book.  At that point, it was usually a matter of "this author is a psycho and I am not going to put myself in that position."  But insofar as buying books to read?  I rarely pay attention to authors' personal blogs unless I've become a big fan of their work.  I mean, I come across a book.  I like the cover.  I like the blurb.  I read an excerpt and like it.  I buy it.  If I follow the author later and find out he or she is a wacko, I stop reading the blog but if the next book appeals to me I'm buying it anyway.

I don't need to agree with someone to appreciate good writing.  I don't even need to like someone to appreciate good writing.  But then again, I have always had a rather compartmentalized brain that way. 

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 01:58:47 pm »
    I've enjoyed many novels written by people with whom I disagree, and even a few by people that I consider to be total jerks. That's not true of non-fiction.

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
    • Hybrid Level 2
      • View Profile
      • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
    « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
    Someone have a minor freakout on the internet doesn't bother me; that blog link is rather tame. Just a little steam blowing.

For me, it's the people who constantly promote and say things like "we're all in this together" and promote backscratching. It's one thing to promote someone because you actually like their stuff...it's another to do it because you want it returned, or want it to help you out. I get a greasy feeling from that.

Also, I don't read people who say working on their craft isn't important; I know those books will be a waste of my time.

Krista D. Ball

Offline _Sheila_

• View Profile
      • SheilaHorgan
    « Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »
    No.  I look at it this way.  Writers write.  When someone else might rant to a friend, a writer is more likely to write it down.  It isn't the smartest thing to do, especially making it public, but everyone is entitled to a bad day.

The author said she has been really ill.  She hints that what she wrote might be some of her personal experiences shared.  My guess is that she used her life story, it has been a difficult life, and when people are harsh in their reviews it is more than she can deal with.

The older I get, the more tolerant of these things I become.  I guess I recognize my flaws in others.  I've said some really stupid things.  That doesn't mean I am a stupid person.  I am hopeful that people do not judge me on my worst moment, when that moment might be one in a million.

Sheila
    Tea for Two: 100%

Fresh Tea: 100%

Craving Tea: 50%
    The first book in each series.
    Sheila Horgan

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
    • Hybrid Level 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 02:14:01 pm »
    The older I get, the more tolerant of these things I become.  I guess I recognize my flaws in others.  I've said some really stupid things.  That doesn't mean I am a stupid person.  I am hopeful that people do not judge me on my worst moment, when that moment might be one in a million.

An occasional bad day doesn't bother me. In fact, that just shows they are human. Jim Butcher had a bit of a meltdown a few months ago because someone inferred he was a racist in a book review. Did I stop loving Jim Butcher? Not at all. He had a bad day, was up against a deadline with a book that fans wanted and he was late getting out and he snapped a bit.

But, if Jim let's say did this every week, whined all day about the unfairness of the world, called readers stupid...yeah, I'd eventually dump him because I'd stop hearing Harry Dresden and instead hear Jim Butcher.

ETA: edited out WHOA reference
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:19:23 pm by Krista D. Ball »

Krista D. Ball

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:19 pm »
    Folks,

While I think this is a fair Book Corner discussion, having a link to another site falls under the WHOA rue (What Happens oOn Another site stays on the other site) and the question can be asked without the example, I'm removing references, thanks.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 03:33:37 pm »
    Occasionally, but not usually. I can usually put my own pleasure or edification above an artist's personal views  :)

However, just like for any other artist or manufacturer or corporation, I might decide not to make a purchase based on not supporting political, racial, environmental, etc. views (that I disagree with) if they are using their public exposure to further such views. I dont believe in censorship but I do believe in the power of the public and free market.

I have also declined to read/purchase a book based on a forward written by the author that demonstrated that she didnt have the background to create a realistic foundation for the science that her book was based on. There were factual errors in the forward that just indicated to me that I wouldnt be legitimately engaged in what was, to me, the most important parts of the book.

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 04:21:18 pm »

^^ This ^^

Offline Ben White

• Nelson, New Zealand
      • View Profile
      • Clover Island Publishing
    « Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 04:57:34 pm »
    Yes, mostly "Buy my book!". Authors barging into recommendation threads and pushing their books is really irritating and instantly puts me in a negative frame of mind about them.  And "Love the art, hate the artist" isn't something I've ever been able to reconcile.
    There are some who call me Iseult the Sheep, Honorary Knight of the Beige Bar.

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
      • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
    « Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 06:32:04 pm »
    I would like to say that no, comments from authors that I don't agree with or find offensive wouldn't turn me off from reading their books but that isn't necessarily true either. Usually it would take more than one comment though but not always.
    I really do try to consider that sometimes we all have bad days and say things that we shouldn't that we probably kick ourselves for later. No one is perfect.

If I do find that someone has a really bad attitude always though, then yay, I avoid their books. But that is for any author not just KB ones.
    The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
    I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline AnitaBartholomew

• www.anitabartholomew.com
      • View Profile
      • Anita Bartholomew, Writer-Editor-Book Doctor
    « Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 07:10:58 pm »
    If the author is writing non-fiction, and the author's comments about the topic of the book seem shallow or otherwise uninteresting, I won't want to read a book-length commentary by that author.

But fiction? I only care if the person writes well. I'm looking for a good read, not a good buddy.

Anita
    Reviewers Rave About THE MIDGET'S HOUSE:

"Heartbreaking at times and thrilling at others."

"Lyrical and dream-like quality."

"Deftly weaves the past and present into a rich, compelling read."

Offline Brad Murgen

• San Jose, CA
      • View Profile
      • bradmurgen.com
    « Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 07:14:40 pm »
    No, I don't really care.  Authors are people, are going to have their opinions and I'm going to disagree with them sometimes.  If the writing is good I'll still read it.
    Bonebearer

[Deception lies at
    the core of all things.]
       Practicing

[A free collection
    of 13 short stories.]

Get Your Murgen On: Murgenblog | Murgenbook | Murgen+ | Murgentube

Offline QuantumIguana

• Minneapolis
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:50 pm »
    Yes. I am somewhat reluctant to know too much about an author. If something makes me dislike the author, it makes me like their books less. I have a great many authors to choose from, I don't need to read any particular author.

Offline Mark Young

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
      • MarkYoungBooks.com
    « Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 08:41:19 pm »
    I like Anita's comment "I only care if the person writes well. I'm looking for a good read, not a good buddy." As a reader--and now, an author--I don't like the author to come between the reader and the story. Once I decide I really like the way an author (of fiction) writes and want to read more of that person, then I like to find out about person behind the pen. Just my point of view.

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 09:48:46 pm »
    The day before yesterday I discovered that a writer was calling a reviewer a, um, well, let's just say a type of hole. This was a tad upsetting for me, what with having read two books of hers that were going to feed into rave reviews. Now, she can go to, well, let's just say she shouldn't bring a parka.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
    • Hybrid Level 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 10:16:30 pm »
    I've been thinking about this thread all day.* I think I'm more bothered by bigoted and racist groups that authors sometimes belong to, as opposed to their words. There is one particular author whose work I will not purchase because he belongs to a group that is so offensive to me that I cannot in conscience give money to him, no matter how little.

*This is how you know I'm on vacation. My brain is lapsing.

Krista D. Ball

KBoards.com

• Advertisement