Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1515084 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • DH and me
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #33850 on: August 08, 2020, 02:32:18 pm »
Happy International Cat day!

Well, Thursday did not go as planned. Somehow my mind got confused about time and I left nearly an hour late to go shopping with my sister. She phoned while I was still in the Benson area asking how soon I would arrive. It was just as well as she wanted to postpone anyway.

I drove home, DH phoned a transmission place in Gilbert for an estimate on the truck, we fed the cats, packed for an overnight stay, and drove to the dealership where we had left the truck, picked up the truck and drove it a mile down the road to have the transmission repaired or rebuilt instead of being completely replaced.

We spent the rest of the afternoon and night at our daughter's house. We drove home the next morning by way of my mom's house which is being repaired and remodeled by a company hired by the nephew and his family who are in the process of buying the house. The repair/remodel work started this week and is moving well and quickly. Everyone is happy that the house is staying in the family!

I will be teaching a couple models and learning a few more in an origami Zoom meeting starting in less than half an hour. A couple hours after the Zoom meeting, I will be on Discord with some fellow Wizard Unite players to play the higher level Chambers during the Community Day event. Tomorrow is another origami Zoom meeting where I will be learning, not teaching.

Hope your day is wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33851 on: August 09, 2020, 05:28:37 am »
    Good morning.

A high of 96 expected today with sunny skies.

Nothing in the plans.

Hope you have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33852 on: August 09, 2020, 08:38:45 am »
    Good Morning

Delightful morning in the 70s with lots of birds at the feeders  Low 100s later.  I have a couple of projects lined up that I suspect I will ignore...

Have a restful Sunday.

'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33853 on: August 09, 2020, 06:43:54 pm »
    Good evening from southern Arizona.

I attended the Origami Zoom meeting. Otherwise, it was a quiet day.

Hope your day was wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33854 on: August 10, 2020, 05:29:34 am »
    Good morning.

An expected high of 97 with a heat advisory in effect from noon to 8 PM.

II has his six month checkup with the orthopedic surgeon this morning. Has it really been 6 months already? We're also dropping his car off this morning for them to replace the mirror. So we'll be out and about a bit today, but certainly nothing strenuous on the agenda.

Hope your week gets off to a good start. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33855 on: August 10, 2020, 06:38:13 am »
    Good morning.  77 and muggy here in Austin today.  We just got back from dropping Ginger off at daycare.
    I have to go in to the office a few days this week - at least two, maybe three.  It depends on how much I get done tomorrow :)
    Good news on my MIL's new iphone.  One of their neighbors was over helping them with something else and she must have mentioned how worried she was about setting it up.  He helped her out and I didn't have to do anything.  I still bought my new books because Amazon offered $8 off if I purchased $30 worth of Kindle books between certain dates.  So I bought several lower-priced books, kicked the $30 over the top with my $13.99 book, and then used the $8 on the other $13.99 book.  Sigh - I've already read both of them.  That's why I don't like to spend that much on a single book - it just doesn't last.  But they were both pretty darn good.
    I hope you have an excellent week.
    Stay safe.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33856 on: August 10, 2020, 08:56:43 am »
    Good Morning

We are back to cool evenings and warm afternoons which is nice .  Goodness August 10th already.  We will be starting our Autumn growing season in about a month.....yeah !

Hope everyone's week is off to a good and safe start.
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33857 on: August 11, 2020, 02:08:20 am »
    Good morning. I'm up way too late considering I have an appointment at cardiologist for eco-cardiogram at 2pm.

Update on grand jury duty: I called the Court this afternoon and the recording said that if we were summoned for August 12th that they will send another summons in six months. So I'm free. i'd had anxiety lately about telling them my recent ailments and/or getting note from doctor tomorrow. Now I don't need to.

I did look up the Court's website and they swore in the first grand jurors Monday since before covid shut-down. I posted on facebook and my court clerk friend chimed in (which is why I wasn't posting there earlier). She said she has only worked two days at the court and the rest at home since the shut-down. I mentioned my age and that for 70+ jury service  is optional (thought I read that recently on the court page). That's one year from now for me. She said no, not true, they can keep summoning me. She thinks I was reading from the Federal Court page.

We are back to 90+ temps during the day. I picked up laundry around 6pm, brought it home and went out again. Went to Amish Market on 9th and then to Rite Aid on 8th Avenue. I took the shortest route home after that, because my back was aching from carrying stuff. It wasn't as much as when I went to Whole Foods Sunday. My phone told me it was only 2.5 miles altogether but it was so hard.

Stay cool and safe and enjoy Tuesday.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33858 on: August 11, 2020, 05:31:15 am »
    Good morning.

72 degrees and heading to only 93 today. No heat advisory in effect but there is a possibility this afternoon and during the overnight hours for thunderstorms. Nothing new about that.

Allergy shot day. Also hoping the family with the produce cart will be in their normal place today. I'd much rather buy from then than to have to go inside a store.

Otherwise, not much in the plans today. It looks like they are pretty much through with laying the sidewalk in our block. Guess we might hear them digging for it in the block south of us so it won't be quite as noisy.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33859 on: August 11, 2020, 08:24:11 am »
    Good morning.  I am at the office today and it is messing up my routine...
    86 in Austin right now.
    I am getting things together to go down the hall to our meeting room and run cables all over the place - should be fun.
    Any word from crebel?  I saw something about massive wind storms in Iowa in the news.

Stay safe.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33860 on: August 11, 2020, 10:40:13 am »
    Good Morning

Another warm afternoon/cool evening...no wind and clear skies, which will be perfect for viewing the Perseid Meteor Shower tonight.
    I am enjoying the day (haven't read the news yet....giggle) and hope you folks are also.

Be Safe

mlewis:  The last time I was called for jury duty, there was a box which could be checked to decline duty due to age. That is in Nevada and I am 75.
    'da NapCat

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33861 on: August 11, 2020, 11:29:13 am »
    Good morning.  I am at the office today and it is messing up my routine...
    86 in Austin right now.
    I am getting things together to go down the hall to our meeting room and run cables all over the place - should be fun.
    Any word from crebel?  I saw something about massive wind storms in Iowa in the news.

Stay safe.

Thanks Andra, I haven't been posting much because of my ongoing crummy attitude.  :-*

The derecho storm that tore through much of Iowa yesterday missed our town by about 15 miles to the north.  We had a downpour and some thunder, but not the winds here.  Hundreds of thousands still without power, buildings literally blown apart, 100 year trees uprooted, roofs gone, semis overturned, etc. across the middle of the state. Thankfully no injuries are being reported!

My sister in Des Moines had her power restored after 15 hours. 100 mph winds were recorded at the airport a half mile from her house.  She said she has never been so terrified, even during tornados.  My other sister is still without power and likely not to get it back for another 24-48 hours. My mother's power flickered but never went out in her suburb, but they did have to spend several hours in the first floor hallway of her senior's building.

I feel really bad for the folks who are going to lose everything in their freezers that tried to stock up before running out of money from losing their jobs and avoiding going to the grocery stores because of Covid.  :'(

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33862 on: August 11, 2020, 11:55:56 am »
    Thanks Andra, I haven't been posting much because of my ongoing crummy attitude.  :-*

You know we won't judge attitude.
    I'm glad to hear you and your family are ok.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33863 on: August 11, 2020, 10:07:50 pm »
    Hi a little earlier than usual. Going to get to bed soon for a change.

Had a visit with cardiologist for an ecocardiogram and visit with the doctor. While waiting for the doctor I caught up on reading email, and there was a disturbing one from the someone in the management of our building. It think that was the reason that my BP was much higher than usual. The top number was in 160s and when the doctor took it again later it was in the 150s. It is usually about 128 / 70. I walked over to Broadway afterwards and bought blueberries, strawberries and cherries and some bread from Breads Bakery. It seemed so nice out, not as hot as expected, but the thunder started and on the way home it rained hard. I had no umbrella, but the baseball cap helped a lot and it was too warm out to get chilled. It never rained or stormed again after I got home.

The building sent around the inspector with the bedbug dog again early this morning. Woke me up at 9. The dog sniffed around (same one with different person -- the husband of the previous one) and they took longer, but he did not find anything. If there had been a bedbug, he would have "sat down." I asked to be sure and it was OK. I thought that was the end of that. I could not go to sleep after that and my alarm was set for noon for my doctor visit.

Then the email was that this Saturday, they are going to have "preventive" treatment against bedbugs in every apartment. I hope they get 4C again since their problem is what started this. We won't have to wash clothes, but we have to put all clothing into plastic bags (from closet and drawers, pull out all furniture and vacuum very thoroughly, including behind everything and be out of there for four hours. They want us to take down any wall hangings and clean there too. I don't remember everything they want but it's going to be a lot of work. I emailed them back and said "this sounds more like you think someone has bedbug and want to treat it rather than a preventive.

I will look preventive treatments up online. I also asked where we would put all the plastic bags full of stuff and where are we supposed to go for four hours if it's 90 degrees out and/or stormy? We can't go anywhere and be inside, except for essential stores and we aren't going to hang out in a store for hours. They did not answer that one. They said plastic bags would remain inside apartment. I also asked how we prevent theft, since we have to go out for 4 hours? They did not answer that either.

I emailed a neighbor who is a few floors down from the 4C people. She had not told me she got the same inspections. She did and she will have to do all this too and she's been here as long as I have and has a roommate. She did not know about 4C and thanked me for the info and then realized that since she is also in a C apartment it made sense to stop the spread. So could it be that 4C's treatment didn't take?

I am looking forward to when this is all completed, say by Sunday when I put everything back in its place. i think there will be a lot of junk downstairs from people sorting out clutter. Whenever we saw a lot of stuff downstairs and outside during the pandemic it was usually about someone moving out. There have been at least 3 who have moved out and some new people have moved in. I've been seeing several dining chairs that were put out front of the building. I have a large mirror on a wall between two windows that I am not going to move. If I do, it may never get back in place. One of my brothers put it up for me and he's not around any more.

I thought my brother in GA was having his hip replacement today (8/12) but after I didn't hear from him for a while and told him so by email, he let me know that he was pre-occupied about it but that it will be on 8/18 next week. He is 73.

Oh, i did it again: wrote a lot of words.

Enjoy your day.

New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33864 on: August 12, 2020, 05:35:19 am »
    Good morning.

mlewis, sometimes it feels good to write a lot of words. Glad you feel comfortable doing it here.

Our expected high will only be 81. Supposed to be rainy off and on with the possibility of thunderstorms. It isn't currently raining, but it sure is dark out at the moment. Had a short spell of rain yesterday afternoon that did drop the temperature so the evening was pleasant.

Nothing on our agenda today. If the rain isn't heavy I imagine II will spend some time out in his shop.

Hope your day is a good one. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33865 on: August 12, 2020, 06:25:13 am »
    Good morning.  76 here to start the day.  Something is setting my allergies off pretty bad this week.  I have the itchy eyes and the stuffy nose and the tickle in the back of my throat that says "you might lose your voice in the next day or two."  I wonder if it's because I had to go to office yesterday? 

mlewis, that does sound like an awful lot of work and a plan that hasn't been thought out all the way.  Sounds more reactive than proactive.  I hope everything gets sorted out.  I guess libraries are still closed so that won't help.

How can my pup have four different hidden treat dispensers in this house?  I can't find a single one of them.  I don't know where she has carried them off...  Guess that's the project for lunchtime - look under all the furniture and in all the corners.

Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33866 on: August 12, 2020, 08:40:32 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

I have an appointment to donate blood to the Red Cross later this morning.  I will check with my sister to see if she wants anything from the JoAnn's near the donation center. Afterwards I will stop at my sister's house to drop off some stuff that I have got her, inclusive doggy blankets I made for the dog she is dog sitting.  These blankets are my first free motion quilting experiments. Tons of mistakes but the doggy won't care. ;D

Update: I posted photos of the dog blanket online and a friend requested one. I will be stopping at Walmart to get a few more of those fleece throws at $2.50 each. I can make two small dog blankets out of each fleece throw. I will be getting a lot of practice in free motion quilting! ;)

Hope your day is wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:46:09 am by Annalog »

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33867 on: August 12, 2020, 11:10:31 am »
    Good Morning

The weather was perfect last night/this morning for watching the Perseid Meteor Shower which was a great show.  After "the show" I made a nice breakfast which I ate outside , I did a couple of light chores (paid bills, straightened out a coffee order snafu, vacuumed, etc ) and now headed for "NAP #1"...

Crebel:  With what is going on in the world, a crummy attitude once in a while may be healthy venting.
    Mlewis:  Your adventures with bedbugs sounds awful and very intrusive to your privacy.

Keep well everyone/Keep safe
    'da NapCat

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33868 on: August 12, 2020, 11:26:11 am »
    mlewis...  if you are ever near the maison kayser by columbus circle, think of me and my yen for their white chocolate bread and other stuff.  i miss them and paris baguette, there aren't any near me.   however, there seems to be one of each near the endocrinologist so i might try and stop off there on friday.

it's hot and humid here today and i'm in a bad mood, so i just want to curl back up in bed.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33869 on: August 12, 2020, 11:03:12 pm »
    Good morning.

I got to bed earlier last night. Stopped reading and turned off light at 2am. Plan to get to bed by 3 (in an hour). While I didn't do as much as planned today, I did go through papers and recycled much of it. Cleaned one shelf of the bathroom cabinet, which is not part of the prep for Saturday AM invasion of the exterminator and my expulsion from the building for 4 hours. Every apartment is getting it. Tomorrow I will buy a lot of giant clear recycling bags to use for the clothes. I checked with Bed Bath and they have them. Might stop at a hardware store first to see if they have them. I went to Westerly Market today for more wipes and peanut butter.

It was so humid tonight when I went out after 9. Walked in the street several times because of the people out there heading towards me, some without masks.  We had T-storms this afternoon and there may be more Thursday afternoon.  i was just thinking today about last year when it would storm and I would wonder whether I could get to the pool to swim. Usually if I went, it was OK and didn't storm again. Now all the health clubs are still closed. We don't know when they will open. They were originally part of Phase 4 which I think we are in, but then it was thought too risky. I saw on my Citizen app last night that the Covid cases are up  now -- not enough for the politicians to mention it though.

Hope you all have a good day.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33870 on: August 13, 2020, 05:15:24 am »
    Good morning.

68 degrees heading to 92 with thunderstorms possible overnight. Hopefully I'll sleep right through them.

II working 11-7 tonight. Guess he'll have fun watching the lightning on the security cameras.

Discovered we didn't have a couple of items II likes to have around to pack in his lunches so scheduled a small pickup order for Walmart later today. I am still uncomfortable going in for just a few items, but it still feels odd to have someone else do the shopping for no more than a dozen items. New virus cases in the state seem to be decreasing, but there are still enough new ones in our county each day that I feel the need to continue to be cautious. Dreading school starting next week. 

Decided to go with breakfast for dinner today. Always seems a good idea to me and since it will be II's first meal of the day, sorta seems logical.

Enjoy your Thursday. Stay safe.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33871 on: August 13, 2020, 07:13:08 am »
    Good Morning

Nice cool morning with a few clouds, making for a colorful sunrise.  Looks like a warming trend for the next week or so....Hopefully this will be the last "heat wave" of  the season and we can start opening up the gardens again.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe

DEATH TO BEDBUGS !!
    'da NapCat

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33872 on: August 13, 2020, 07:25:48 am »
    Good morning.  Sounds like our weather is much the same as others; hot, humid, possible thunderstorms.

DH took me to Walmart yesterday for monthly grocery shopping.  It was not crowded, social distancing was pretty good and mask usage was definitely the majority ("naked" noses are still pretty common, though).  That made me feel better about being in there for an hour. I too dread the start of school with our community spread creeping up again.  I just hate this wait-and-see-everything's-fine attitude.  The Big 10 cancelled fall football, but high school football is a go.  :-X

Walking from groceries to the personal care aisles we passed the women's sleepwear section.  DH noticed a pair of SLOTH jammies in my size and put them in the cart since I have talked about sloths being my spirit animal after the start of all this mess.  ;D  They are cute and comfortable, and it was fun that he saw them.  Most things were in stock except cleaning products, but I did get the last package of paper plates! I was also excited to get fresh plums, peaches, and a papaya!

Everyone stay safe, be well.

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33873 on: August 13, 2020, 02:16:06 pm »
    well, i did the stupid last night.  i started watching star trek discovery, then switched to Enterprise and then to Next Gen.  next thing i knew, there was sunlight in the window and it was 8 am.....

i have to get myself together, since i actually have to be somewhere at a certain time tomorrow.  not used to that.... and hoping that the rain doesn't come in while i'm out.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33874 on: August 13, 2020, 02:42:17 pm »
    Well I missed the morning...
    I was at office for some tests before our meeting in two weeks.  All went pretty well.  I have my stuff set up in the far back corner of the conference room.
    It's hot.
    That is all.
    Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement