Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1514771 times)  

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #33900 on: August 18, 2020, 09:48:36 am »
Good Morning

I set a speed record this morning.....the cats were worried that we were low on milk and made me go to town....Left home at 5:30 AM and was back by 8:30 AM...so much haze and smoke you cannot even see the local mountains.  Gas is $2.09/gallon.  The supermarket was empty....maybe 5-6 people shopping and the staff had the place looking pristine !!  I scampered back home in plenty of time for "First Nap".  Another hot day on queue.

Crebel:   FEMA declared Iowa's disaster overnight (which means Trump approved it)  Should be for both PA & IA (Public Assistance and Individual Assistance.

'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33901 on: August 18, 2020, 11:40:42 am »
    Good Morning

I set a speed record this morning.....the cats were worried that we were low on milk and made me go to town....Left home at 5:30 AM and was back by 8:30 AM...so much haze and smoke you cannot even see the local mountains.  Gas is $2.09/gallon.  The supermarket was empty....maybe 5-6 people shopping and the staff had the place looking pristine !!  I scampered back home in plenty of time for "First Nap".  Another hot day on queue.

Crebel:   FEMA declared Iowa's disaster overnight (which means Trump approved it)  Should be for both PA & IA (Public Assistance and Individual Assistance.

Thanks, Napcat, but as of right now (1:36 p.m. Central Time) only the agricultural assistance has been approved and the rest is still "under review".  Maybe that will change since the president made a stop at the Cedar Rapids airport and met with a few officials before taking off again without leaving the airport to survey any damage.  His statement last night that he signed the whole package is simply not true at this point.

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33902 on: August 19, 2020, 02:08:55 am »
    I hope that they do more for Iowa. I saw this in the NY Times:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/us/iowa-storm-derecho.html

My brother Stan had hip replacement surgery very early Tuesday morning. He texted to me at 4:45am that he was leaving for the hospital and by 8:30 he texted again to his kids and me that the surgery was done. He was home by noon and said that he "felt great." He is 73. He'd been having pain and a doctor thought it was an internal bruise, so he had PT for a while and then about 6 weeks ago they decided his hip was damaged and they scheduled the surgery.

When my other brother Paul had hip replacement in 2012, he stayed in rehab for a week before going home. I am sure Stan will need physical therapy. He didn't mention it.

In the evening I walked to the UPS Store nearby to have the first page of my lease renewal copied and left the package to be sent to the managing agent from there. The weather was nice, although a little warm for me compared to the day before. I took a walk up Broadway as far as 82nd Street and turned around. The plan was to get a good walk in and get a few food items in Fairway, so I did that on the way back from 82nd (Fairway is at 74th). Was only going to buy baby spinach and some cheese (to keep the weight of the bag low) but I got a few other things as well. Bought blueberries from a street vendor. They were $1 a box. I bought 2.

Another purpose of my walk to to check out the situation on Broadway between 77th-79th Street. There has been a lot of local gossip and press about upper west siders complaining about the men (homeless and possibly Rikers inmates who were released because of Covid) staying at the Belleclaire and Lucerne Hotels. I thought the Belleclaire was an apartment building. The Mayor says they are going to move them out of the hotels (there are 12 in my area, Hell's Kitchen) soon. I did not see anything going on by the Belleclaire. Looked like some of them were sitting on the benches on the island at the center of Broadway at 77th-80s, but nothing unusual going on. Guess I am blessed. On the way back there were men hanging out near the Belleclaire entrance on 77th (but I only walked on Broadway). A staffer was taking out garbage and the men I saw could have been other staffers or homeless residents.

It is quieter up that way in the evening. This was about 8pm. Upper west siders are staying in more than people are in my area in the West 50s. It was downright crowded when I walked on 8th at the beginning of my walk. It wasn't that way a few months ago.

Anna, your husband building a porch only confirms the busy schedules that you and he have. I think you are happier staying busy and enjoy it. I have two friends who live in the Poconos (PA) who had front and back porches added on to their home in June.

Hope you all have a great day.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33903 on: August 19, 2020, 05:33:15 am »
    Good morning.

66 and headed to 88 today. We are enjoying the lower than normal August temps.

We are stocked up on groceries. II decided while we were out yesterday we might as well stop at Trader Joe's also. So yesterday afternoon was spent re-packaging items for the freezer. Stir fry for dinner today with some of the fresh veggies we bought.

No plans to leave the house today. Just haven't decided exactly what project I'll do once breakfast is over.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33904 on: August 19, 2020, 06:03:35 am »
    Good morning!
    I am working from home today and starting out with my breakfast in the back yard. It is 73 and downright chilly when the wind blows. I love it!
    Our project for the day is cleaning off the back porch. There are leaves accumulated under the steps to the hot tub and Ginger is fixated on them. We are not sure what all is under there, but it's probably not something the pup needs to eat...
    Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33905 on: August 19, 2020, 08:41:13 am »
    Good morning.  Our temperatures also remain mild for August and we are enjoying the house remaining open.

I did finally make brownies yesterday.  Today's project is continuing to remove a wallpaper border from a small bathroom in preparation for re-painting.  The border is being extremely stubborn even with steaming and DIF wallpaper remover, but I'll keep plugging away.

Stay safe, be well.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33906 on: August 19, 2020, 10:39:22 am »
    Good Morning

We are headed to 112+ with a chance of a dry thunderstorm (scary range fire hazard).  Looks like we may be getting out of our insane temperatures next week.  Amazingly life goes on in the desert....several very small wildflowers hiding in crevasses.  My pyracantha are starting to put out small fruit and Chase Trees are blooming !!  Miracles of life!

I hope everyone's week is going well.
    Stay safe, my Friends

Crebel: 16 counties are being assessed for PA/27counties are being assessed for IA
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33907 on: August 19, 2020, 07:10:01 pm »
    well, it's morning somewhere, so....

after doing 4.5 miles on Friday, i took the weekend off.  Monday i decided to walk a mile to a supermarket that i haven't been to since the shutdown.  the last time i was there, they had some yummy pre-made teriyaki chicken breast, so i was hoping they had it again.  no luck, but they had chicken marsala breasts, so i got that and a couple of salad kits (apple gouda and a strawberry harvest one).  they didn't have the edwards pie that crebel had recommended, and although they had edwards cheesecake, i didn't want to carry it home for a mile and figured i'd check a closer store on tuesday.

so, tuesday i went to my normal grocery store.  i did my normal "walk past the store to get extra steps in" before shopping.  i had planned to just pick up some water and look at the pies, but ended up picking up a bit more stuff then i expected (jack daniels brisket, a parmesan/asiago cheese dip and naan as well as my water).  they didn't have either the apple cream pie or cheesecake but i did get key lime and lemon meringue slices.

today it rained early, but then it was nice and cool, so i decided to go for a stroll.  went along a different avenue so i got something different to look at, then sat in a park for a while.  and wanted to yell at a woman to stop looking at her phone and watch the toddler that almost ran into the street. sigh....

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #33908 on: August 20, 2020, 05:04:03 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

Mlewis, glad to hear your brother's hip replacement surgery went well.

Anna, your husband building a porch only confirms the busy schedules that you and he have. I think you are happier staying busy and enjoy it. I have two friends who live in the Poconos (PA) who had front and back porches added on to their home in June.
    You are correct. DH and I do like to stay busy working on projects. We also like napping in between activities. Our naps seem to be directly correlated to how strenuous the activities are. ;D

I spent yesterday in my craft room making my sister's birthday present, a fabric container sized for holding sewing patterns. It is 8 inches wide, high, and deep with a different koala from the fabric centered on each side and lined with a dark blue material. While ironing, cutting, and sewing, I watched or listened to various YouTube videos on crafting, Wizards Unite, or songs by the Holderness Family. I also took breaks to continue organizing parts of my craft supplies. I finished my sister's present and wrapped it for delivery today. No naps!

DH continued working on the porch between naps.

I hope your days are wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:36:38 am by Annalog »

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33909 on: August 20, 2020, 05:48:10 am »
    Good morning.

62 degrees this morning with a high of around 87 forecast. Not expected to be quite this cool again for a few days.

I live in a bedroom community that was developed in the '70s. Not much of a tax base for a lot of city niceties in the older part of town. The major street has had a sidewalk on it for 8-10 years and we do have a nice park with a walking track on that street. The addition of a sidewalk on our street is welcome. It is already being used by multiple people, including moms out with their kids on their trikes. It will also be nice to have sidewalk all the way to the park.

II working 3-11 today so I'll be spending some time this afternoon doing household chores or whatever strikes my fancy.

Have a pleasant day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33910 on: August 20, 2020, 06:44:43 am »
    Good morning. We have another pleasant morning today. I am definitely enjoying it! It will be warmer again next week and I'll be at the office anyway...
    Stay safe.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33911 on: August 20, 2020, 08:25:07 am »
    It has been beautiful weather in the PNW. My neighbor is having her backyard professionally landscaped and it is fun watching the progress. She recently bought the house, but the original owner never did a thing with the backyard. The developer put in the sprinklers and sod, but nothing else. The houses in our development are 4-6 years old.

The outing today is to pick up our CSA. We have to scramble each to actually finish all the produce we get each week. Corn is abundant right now, and as sweet as it gets.

In a couple of weeks the I5 bridge over the Columbia River that connects Oregon and Washington via Vancouver and Portland, will close for almost 2 weeks for much needed repair and update. It is a draw bridge (a really big one!), so when it is up, no traffic. People are planning to work from home, since most of Vancouver actually works in Portland. I am so glad we don't have to commute, but the kids and the grandkids are on the Oregon side and we are on the Washington side. In current circumstances we aren't  seeing them anyway, and traffic is quite light because people are either unemployed or working from home. There is another bridge to get across the Columbia River, but in normal times both bridges are crowded. Enough bridge talk.

Jane
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33912 on: August 20, 2020, 08:27:17 am »
    Good Morning

A beautiful morning in the desert at 77 degrees, afternoon temperatures will still be well over 100, but coming down slowly over the next two weeks.
    Hope everyone is having a good day.

Be Safe
    'da NapCat

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33913 on: August 21, 2020, 12:19:38 am »
    Today we had the the 4th day in a row of beautiful weather. It is going to start getting hot tomorrow and hotter over the weekend. I went for a walk this evening starting before dark to mail a check for $7.40 to the managing agent of my apartment.  I mailed in the lease renewal Tuesday and forget to enclose or even write the check. I emailed her and today there was a message from the assistant in her office that they would wait to process my lease renewal until after they receive the check. There is no increase in my rent the first year and the second year it goes up by $7.40. That is what the check represents. I think it is a 1% increase. Rent stabilization rate for this year.

I also stopped at Amish Market for tomatoes and Brad's veggie straws snacks. The post office is on 52nd on the way to 8th, so I walked over to Broadway to increase the number of steps. it is quieter over there than on 9th and 8th. There area  few outdoor restaurants and the Ed Sullivan Theater that is currently all lit up with twinkly lights. I took a video and a still photo. i bought milk and a few other things at Morton Williams on 9th Ave. and the last stop was Justino's Pizza, but they said it was a 10 minute wait for plain slice (I was carrying heavy bags), so I said I'll be back tomorrow. I was out for 90 minutes but phone tells me it was just 2.3 miles. I was pleased though to have gotten in a walk on the same day as 30 minutes on the Lifecycle at home.

Hope everyone has a safe and great day.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33914 on: August 21, 2020, 06:10:21 am »
    Good morning.

No change in the weather from previous days.

II working 11-7 tonight. Don't think he has ever worked 3-11, then 11-7 the next day before. Much easier than working 11-7, then 3-11. That doesn't allow for much time to get some sleep.

I've got most of dinner in the slow cooker, a fruit salad will be made sometime this morning. Leftover pizza from last night will be supper with probably some watermelon for dessert.

I need to go buy a birthday card and mail it today. Hoping it doesn't take too much longer for it to arrive than what we've experienced in the past.

It's Friday. Enjoy today and I hope you have something planned for the weekend. Stay safe.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33915 on: August 21, 2020, 07:03:50 am »
    Good Morning

Our whole valley is lit up in bright orange as the sun struggles to rise through all the haze and smoke from California....sigh

We are headed to a high of 110 with no wind again....

Happy Friday All.  I hope you have some interesting weekend plans.

Stay Safe
    'da NapCat

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33916 on: August 21, 2020, 09:51:09 am »
    Happy Friday!  Muggy and 89 here today.  All eyes on multiple storms that will be in the Gulf next week...
    We are looking for our hammocks that were obviously put in a safe place a few years ago.  We want to put the stands up in the yard hoping for cooler weather.

Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33917 on: August 21, 2020, 10:26:26 am »
    Good afternoon.  Just checking in today -- be well, stay safe.

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33918 on: August 21, 2020, 11:51:35 pm »
    I had a typical day -- used the bike inside, took a walk to Whole Foods, took out a slice of pizza. discovered that my dvr is not recording my shows (will call Spectrum Saturday or Sunday and reboot the cable box).

My heart goes out to everyone who lives near the fires and on the Gulf coast where two tropical storms (or hurricanes?) Laura and Marco are threatening.

Had a nice talk on the phone with my cousin Bev in San Francisco.

My brother Stan is doing well and texted on Day 3 (Thursday) following hip replacement surgery. One thing is troubling though:  his woman friend Oleta tested positive for Covid-19 on Tuesday. She still goes over there every day. I did not ask, but I wonder if they are wearing masks. Didn't have a real conversation, he sent texts to his kids and me. I think she has no symptoms, but still . . . they live in northern Georgia, where I don't think this has been taken seriously enough.

Hope you all have a great day. It's my 69th birthday! My cousin told me to enjoy my 60s. She is 76.
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:53:22 pm by mlewis78 »
    New York, NY

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33919 on: August 22, 2020, 04:41:47 am »
    It's my 69th birthday!

Happy Birthday, Young'un !!
    'da NapCat

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33920 on: August 22, 2020, 06:32:35 am »
    Happy Birthday mlewis!

We had a storm come through last night.  The thunder and lightning woke me up at 6am, but Ginger decided she wanted to sleep more - I got to stay in bed until 8am!  It's only 67 degrees outside.  We must have had some wind - a few branches are down and some lightweight plastic yard furniture has blown over.
    It is weird thinking of 2 storms in the Gulf at the same time.  That has never happened before.  I think the big problem is that the storms are harder to track since they will interfere/influence each other.  I guess we will wait and see what happens.  It would be nice if we had some rain to help break up the triple-digit heat.
    Stay safe everybody.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33921 on: August 22, 2020, 07:02:23 am »
    Good morning.

Happy Birthday mlewis!

Almost felt Septemberish at 66 this morning. But we'll be back in the 90s for highs the next few days.

Found another seeded bread recipe to try. May get that done today. Also I think the bananas are at the right stage of ripeness to try in a 3 ingredient cookie recipe I found. Not sure how those will turn out, but found it intriguing.

II will probably sleep a while this morning - then we'll go from there on what gets done today.

Hope your weekend is going well. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33922 on: August 22, 2020, 08:44:01 am »
    Good morning.

HAPPY  BIRTHDAY!!!

to mlewis!

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33923 on: August 23, 2020, 12:32:08 am »
    Thank you for the birthday wishes, NapCat, Crebel, Loonlover, and Andra. It was a pretty good day after a slow start. I stayed up late again as usual, so I had to sleep in. There was a text from my brother Stan to his kids: "Hey Gang, Time to wish Aunt Marti a very happy birthday [some emojis] today!" and they responded briefly, one of them "Hbd, Marti." Which was all good, but I was in my getting up grumpy mood.  Then I saw all the facebook birthday greetings and talked with a friend for a long time until I said "I've got to get out for my walk while we stil l have daylight." I could have gone up to visit her in Washington Heights and sit on her terrace facing the GW Bridge and Hudson River, but I'm still isolating.

I walked over to Riverside Park South by 7:15, a good 35 minutes before sunset. Here is a link to a iphone video on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/marti.lewis/videos/pcb.10224003495141201/10224003493581162/?type=3&theater

Hopefully this link goes to still pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10224003493901170&set=pcb.10224003495141201&type=3&theater

I walked away from the river at 73rd St. and went up the stairs (there was a photo of hte stairs after I reached the top) that lead to another section of the park and then out to Riverside Drive and walked to 79th Street. Came back via Broadway. I hadn't planned this, but there was a Pinkberry on Broadway near 70th, so I used my Pinkberry card to get a medium pomegranate frozen yogurt. It was so refreshing. Long time ago I lived right by there at 70th and Amsterdam Ave. It was not crowded, but they allow just 3 people at a time, so there was some waiting outside.

I got back to my neighborhood where the outdoor diners sound like they are having a party. Live music outside of Bar Nine. I crossed over to get take-out at Tacuba Cantina Mexicana. Took some pictures out there while waiting for my order. It was very loud and noisy, but it was nice to get home with my food. Chicken burrito and an order of guacamole and chips. I had been aiming for another newer place that is more casual and closer to home, but they had closed at 9. I watched "Love With the Proper Stranger" (Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen) and Gypsy on TCM.

Hope everyone has a good, safe 8/23 Sunday.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33924 on: August 23, 2020, 05:06:46 am »
    Good morning.

Pleasant at 64 degrees when I went outside to get the papers around 6:30. Not going to last, though, as the expected high is in the mid 90s.

A few household chores on the agenda today, but nothing really heavy.

Hope everyone has a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement