Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1514785 times)  

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #33925 on: August 23, 2020, 06:00:09 am »
Good morning.  It is currently pleasant out, but temperature and humidity will increase to less desirable levels this afternoon.

Our son and his family are coming early this afternoon for our last-for-now outside, socially distanced cookout before the grandkids go back to school tomorrow.  Future visits with us, even distanced, will be curtailed until we see how things shake out with in-person classes here.  I am less optimistic than others.  Our community spread is already at 13%, but masks will be required for all staff as well as students.  At least our two grandkids (10 and 6) see masks as a fun fashion accessory and they live close enough to walk together to and from the same school building and don't have to get on a bus.

Menu:  grilled honey bbq chicken drumsticks, green beans with potatoes, and a monster fresh fruit platter.

Everyone stay safe, be well.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33926 on: August 23, 2020, 08:44:09 am »
    Good Morning

There was so much haze/smoke from the California fires that you could not see sunrise nor the mountains 7 miles away.....those poor folks.  It is too smoky to go outside, but fortunately the SciFi Channel is running every single bad Shark movie ever made !!

Hee hee....so with a platter full of "movie food", I am in heaven !!

Have a great Sunday

'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33927 on: August 23, 2020, 11:38:06 pm »
    I enjoyed my walk in the park so much on Saturday that I went back this evening, a little bit later, so a rush trip. It is nice to walk by the water. Took some pictures of Canada geese. Played flute for just 25 minutes after I got home.

Tomorrow I need to do something about renewing my driver's license. It expired on the 22nd. I think the DMV is still closed, but I saved a link to instructions for renewing online. We had always had to take a quick vision test at the DMV. I have not driven in years but like to keep up my license. If there is a problem, I'll just get a state ID, which is what I had when I used to renew my driver's license in NJ with my parents; address when we had a house there.

Have a great and safe day.

New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33928 on: August 24, 2020, 04:59:31 am »
    Good morning.  Heat advisories are in effect today with actual temperatures expected to hit triple digits.  I won't be doing much in the way of exertion even inside in the air-conditioning.

We enjoyed about 3 hours with DS, DIL, and 2 grandchildren yesterday.  I confess, I did not maintain social distancing when they were ready to go home.  I felt like it is a possibility it was the last time I will see them for many months and I couldn't stand not holding them close for a few moments while telling them how very much I love them.  I am choked up again this morning just typing that out.

Be well, stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33929 on: August 24, 2020, 05:34:39 am »
    Good morning.

We're to be a little warmer at 95 today. It looks like Thursday is when we'll get hit with remnants from the hurricane(s).

We accomplished our chores yesterday plus a couple of things I hadn't planned on doing. I didn't object when II said he was definitely going to get the bird feeder pole moved (something we've said we would do before, but somehow it never happened). Now all we have to do is hope that we did move it far enough that the squirrels can't continue to jump to it from the roof. He may be a little sore today, but he felt good about being able to get it done without his shoulder hurting. The ground was hard enough it took a little work to pull the pole out of the ground, then get it back in the ground.

I didn't get around to making bread the other day. Today I have no choice. Already started the laundry; those will probably be my main chores for the day.

Thinking of those in the paths of the hurricanes. Stay safe, everyone.

Crebel, understand your feelings. It is such a scary time. School starts here today. I feel like that means we need to lessen our interactions even more, although that would be difficult since they are already so limited.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33930 on: August 24, 2020, 06:09:13 am »
    Good morning.  It's 75 in Austin and we are heading to upper 90s.  We are not supposed to hit triple digits again until Friday.  But with two weather systems in the Gulf and the projected paths putting them more to the east of us - we are going to be on the dry side.  I am worried about New Orleans - they still don't have a decent drainage system even after being hammered by Hurricane Katrina way back in 2005...  If they get two storms landing that close together, they are going to be overwhelmed.
    I have to go down the hall and finish checking all the cables and computers for the meeting this week.  Then I get to crawl on the floor and make everything safe - I'm the person who would trip, so it's in my best interest to fix that beforehand.
    Have a great week.  I may get busy and not check in much.
    Stay safe.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33931 on: August 24, 2020, 06:23:56 pm »
    Smoky up here too, and it breaks my heart knowing that many of the Redwoods have suffered greatly.

Otherwise, we're all safe and sound here. Knitting The Big Pink Sweater and working on the 2nd sleeve. Don't think I'll need it for awhile.

Glad you all are staying safe. Too hot down there, NapCat!!

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33932 on: August 25, 2020, 06:06:50 am »
    Good morning.

Mid 90s for our high today with thunderstorms moving in overnight and into tomorrow. But the amount of rainfall won't be as great as earlier predicted. That doesn't happen until Thursday.

II working 11-7 tonight. And it is allergy shot day. I'm going to try to get there at the time of day kids should be in school. We're thinking that with school starting leading to more cases, going to the allergy clinic might be where I would have the most risk of exposure to covid-19. They screen patients, I don't touch anything, and I almost always stay standing while waiting my turn. My 30 minutes wait time is spent out in the car.

The recipe I used for the seeded bread yesterday worked much better than the first one I tried. I've already thought of a couple of tweaks I want to try the next time. And the recipe did lack a couple of bits of information that would have been helpful to the first time bread baker. I pretty much used the recipe for the ingredients, then followed my normal procedures for mixing, kneading, and rise time (allowing the amount of time as written would have been way too long).

Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33933 on: August 26, 2020, 12:52:51 am »
    Good morning. It was hot and humid here Tuesday. I didn't do much, slept late. Went out after dark (dark is 8pm now) to buy some food -- potatoes and snacks. Went to Amish Market, Rite Aid and Gristedes. Got home too late to play flute. I watched the movie Harriet about Harriet Tubman.

Finally asked my brother Stan if he and his girl friend are distancing and wearing masks since she tested positive for Covid-19 last Tuesday on the day he had hip replacement surgery. She was over on Wednesday and they wore masks, but after that she stayed home because she got very sick. He says she felt better yesterday. He has been taking breakfast over but not seeing her, just dropping it off.

My driver license expired Saturday, 8/22. I finally looked at instructions online for renewing online since the DMV was closed and only open now for a limited appointments. It says that licenses that expired since March have been extended by executive order. Looks like they are good until October 1, 2021, but it's worded a little oddly, so I'm not sure. I would go ahead and renew online, but I have to get a vision test and form filled out by doctor to prove I passed it. I'm due for an exam with opthalmologist in October, so I will take care of it all then.

I got word on facebook today that another high school classmate has died. Andrea. She'd had cancer for a few years and was going for weekly chemo last year and the year before. Another classmate (year younger) died two weeks ago, suddenly. I guess this goes with my getting older. I saw on the birthday week on facebook that 3 friends had birthdays this week who had died at least a year or more ago. One was from my home town, another was a flute friend I used to see at the flute conventions and the third had been a proofreader at the last firm where I worked. He was only in his 50s and had had open heart surgery the year before.

Hope you all have a good and safe day. Stay well.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33934 on: August 26, 2020, 06:47:49 am »
    Good morning.

A high of 90 with isolated thundershowers is our forecast for the day.

If we get out today it will be to get the propane tanks used with our generator filled in anticipation of possible outages once the rainfall from Laura makes it here. Otherwise, a few household chores might get done. II will sleep awhile this morning, I'm sure.

Keeping those in the path of Laura in our thoughts. Everyone, stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33935 on: August 26, 2020, 10:45:04 pm »
    Loonlover, I wish you good luck that Laura doesn't hit so badly in your area. It's looking very bad now for LA and TX.

We had great weather on Wednesday. I saw later on the weather that it did not get above 77. Low humidity. Very nice breezes when I went out at 8 tonight to drop off laundry. It's going to be hot and humid on Thursday. We may get the rain from Laura on Saturday.

I had a bit more time with the flute tonight, an hour instead of 30 minutes. I've mostly been practicing Kohler etudes, but I had time tonight to play through Ennio Morricone's "Gabriel's Oboe" (I have a piano version that has the line for the oboe that I play with flute), Rhonda Larson's Be Still My Soul and a Bach Cantata flute part.

I watched part of the Mets game (and they won against the Marlins). it has been liberating this week not to watch news in prime time.

I am thinking of people on the Gulf Coast and wish you well. Hope you all have a good, safe Thursday.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33936 on: August 27, 2020, 05:38:40 am »
    Good morning.

We have a tropical storm warning in effect. I don't remember the last time for one of those, but do remember how surprised we were by the first one after moving here. Anyway, rain supposed to begin around noon with a possibility of 3-5 inches over the next 24 hours or so, winds 40-45 mph, and the worry of trees falling on power lines. But still nowhere near the destruction occurring to the south and west of us. I can't imagine being there.

Haircuts midday for us; otherwise we'll hunker down and watch it rain, I guess.

Everyone, stay safe, whether from hurricanes, fires, or Covid-19.

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33937 on: August 27, 2020, 01:00:26 pm »
    i stayed in all late last weekend and early this week, but took advantage of the break in the heat yesterday to explore a new super market. should have been a simple outing, a straight one mile walk each way (literally straight, left out of my apartment building walk one mile, make a right turn and be there).  each block along my way was about 1/5 of a mile, but what i forgot is that each block is up or down hill, with no level stretches.  and i left at noon, so no shadows...

today is too hot to even think about going out and it looks like thunderstorms.  tomorrow i plan on going out to pick some prescriptions, and maybe some vegan malaysian curry.

mlewis- i switched to a US passport card for my ID since i don't want to deal with NYS...

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #33938 on: August 27, 2020, 02:02:23 pm »
    Good afternoon from Arizona.

A very belated Happy Birthday, mlewis!

I hope everyone is staying safe from the weather, COVID-19, and everything else.

Last week I finished my sister's birthday gift and delivered it early.

On Saturday, I drove to Tucson with my race gear and met my daughter at the hotel where we would be spending the night and returning post race to shower and change before checking out. The Run With the Roosters race was great! I believe that this was the first in person race in Arizona in 5 months. Everyone followed the safety precautions. We waited by our cars until a few minutes before our starting wave of 12 people was to be called. I was impressed by the sight of all but the first 12 runners and the 12 of the second and third waves standing by their cars facing the sunrise and the flag while the national anthem was played. My daughter and I were in wave 14 out of 16. Everyone wore masks while we were in the parking lot. People could take off their masks while running on the road where they were to maintain at least 12 feet distance except while passing, when the distance needed to be at least 6 feet. Masks were to be put back on when entering the parking area for the end of the race and crossing the finish line. I was masked except when drinking water or consuming race fuel. I changed to a clean dry fabric mask about every mile or so. I started with my IceSkullz on my head filled with ice. The last of the ice melted a little after the 3 mile marker. By the time I crossed the finish line, the next to last runner to do so, I had 3 masks and my empty hand held water bottle hanging from my waist pack belt. After we crossed the finish line we were handed our race shirt, bottle of water, breakfast burrito and went back to our cars. Our race times were texted to our phones and the awards ceremony was done via Facebook live video. I  took second place in my category,  Women between 65 and 69, because there were only two of us! The person who finished after me won a first place in her category,  Women 75+. It was nice to be able to watch the Rooster cheer her on by running an appropriate distance behind and to the side of her. The race photos seemed to have a higher percentage of people smiling, beaming, or grinning at the camera. Everyone Runs has also been approved for a live race in September.  I have registered for that one as well.<3

DH and I are driving home after another trip to north eastern Arizona for handling family matters. Hopefully only a few more trips will be needed.

I hope your days are wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33939 on: August 27, 2020, 10:11:51 pm »
    Thank you, Annalog.

Telracs, I still have a good U.S. passport. It is valid until some time in 2022. I used it when I picked up the camera I ordered online at B&H Photo. The man struggled with it and asked me if I had something smaller, so I pulled out my driver's license. I guess they scanned it.

We had a thunderstorm tonight about 8pm. I got back from picking up laundry 15 minutes before it started. I saw so many people eating outside at restaurants on 10th Avenue and it was evident that the storm was brewing. It was very hot and humid but quite breezy on my way home. More heat and humidity is predicted for Friday.

New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33940 on: August 28, 2020, 05:48:41 am »
    Good morning.

Although we received between 3 and 4 inches of rain yesterday, the worst part of the tropical storm did not affect us. Not nearly as much wind as had been predicted in our area so we only have a small amount of debris to clear from the yard. One fair sized limb fell from the top of one tree in the middle of the yard, but the rest of it are small clumps of leaves. The power went off for about 30 seconds one time, just long enough that clocks and devices had to be reset. Others to the south of us were not so lucky. Haven't seen a report yet of how many are without power this morning.

II works 3-11 today - skies should be clear by the time he heads to work. I'll find something to keep myself busy this afternoon. Sometimes the hardest thing for me is to decide exactly what I want to accomplish.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33941 on: August 28, 2020, 06:34:43 am »
    Happy Friday! It is already in the low 80s here and is supposed to get up to 103.
    We made it through our meetings. We kind of shot ourselves in the foot though - I was hoping to hire out the next one, but the Commissioners were pleased enough that we get to do it again next time...
    The storms did not have any effect on us here. Marco fizzled out and Laura turned enough to mostly go into Louisiana.  There are parts of East Texas under water, including state parks and wildlife management areas.
    I am glad you are all well.
    Stay safe!

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33942 on: August 29, 2020, 05:37:30 am »
    Good morning.

An expected high of 97 today with a heat advisory in effect.

Banana-blueberry muffins for breakfast this morning (made yesterday afternoon). Otherwise, we'll just have to see what the day brings.

Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33943 on: August 29, 2020, 11:23:16 pm »
    This afternoon on NY1 (TV) they kept saying that we would get a lot of rain on and off from the tropical storm (Laura, I think), but we never had any. I felt lucky to get out to Whole Foods early in the evening and get back while the sun was still shining. I went out again to walk near the Hudson River. It gets dark earlier now and the sun set at about 7:35. It was getting dark, but there were a lot of people. I just went down for a few minutes to look at the water and came out at 68th street where I went in.

I went back to Pinkberry for a frozen yogurt. I got a free birthday one last Saturday. They told me I still had a birthday bonus, I told them I got it last week and they told me I still have one, so I got a medium pomegranate, no toppings. I got home at 9pm and it never rained.

I realized a few days ago that I have misplaced my umbrella. Lost it somewhere in here when I did all the bagging of everything in plastic two weeks ago. I keep it on a hook near the door. I looked at other hooks and other places but can't find it. It was a nice one that I bought in Salt Lake City a year ago. I have to remember to buy another one (then I will find it).

Hope you enjoy Sunday.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33944 on: August 30, 2020, 05:41:25 am »
    Good morning.

Thunderstorms in the forecast for the next 5 days. I'll believe it when I see it, although we did have a couple rumble through yesterday. Today's best time is around noon.

I'm sure the yard will need to be mowed as soon as it dries out enough, but don't think that is a possibility today. Not sure what we'll get up to today, but I doubt that it will be too strenuous.

Have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33945 on: August 30, 2020, 10:02:59 am »
    i got up early (for me...) to pick up an RX and do some grocery shopping.  BUT..... when i got to the pharmacy, the RX that i was told was sent in 2 weeks ago wasn't, and my old RX was cancelled, so i can't refill.... and when i got home and e-mailed the new MD, i got an out of office message. 

but i did go grocery shopping and got a nice chicken and some other stuff.  and my amazon order came today, so my hint water is here.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33946 on: August 31, 2020, 12:50:33 am »
    We had beautiful weather on Sunday, but I did not get outside. Had trouble getting to sleep, so I turned on the light and read this morning. Had to sleep quite late to get my needed sleep. I used the exercise bike for 34 minutes. Didn't feel too well later. Going to bed shortly.

I have an appointment with internist for annual this Wednesday.

I watched part of a documentary about Frank Sinatra on Netflix. Didn't know there was more than one episode (2 hours each ep) until the 2nd episode came on. I had watched the first hour of E1 the night before. Saving E2 for another time. I watched an Inspector Lynley episode but didn't quite finish, so I have that for another day.

Hope you are all well and enjoy Monday. I love Mondays since retirement!
    New York, NY

Offline sebaz87

• View Profile
    « Reply #33947 on: August 31, 2020, 01:05:32 am »
    good morning from finland.

Lhetetty minun SM-G960F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #33948 on: August 31, 2020, 07:41:00 am »
    Good afternoon from southern Arizona. All is well here but life has gotten too busy to post frequently. Also, we are having issues with our internet and I am rebooting our router frequently. I will probably phone CenturyLink Wednesday.

DH and I are headed to northeast Arizona again today for a short trip helping family.

I hope your days are wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33949 on: August 31, 2020, 07:42:01 am »
    Good morning.

Prescriptions were ready at the pharmacy plus a couple of other errands in the same direction so I left the house a little before 8 AM. Didn't make it home before the heavy thunderstorms hit, but got back in the car at the last stop just as it was starting to rain. Drove home at a slower speed than normal on the back roads instead of taking the interstate. Got pretty damp on the dash to the house, but at least I was home. I'd say at least 3/4 inch fell already with more coming. The thunder is getting louder again and the skies have darkened again. I anticipate more heavy rainfall any moment.

II working 11-7 tonight. Looks like he'll be going to and from work between storms tonight as they are in the forecast for the next 3 days.

Nothing else I have to get done today except feed us. Glad to get the errands run, but don't really like getting out that early, especially on a Monday. I'm with mlewis, Mondays aren't bad since retirement.

Hope you have a good day. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement