Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1514789 times)  

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #33975 on: September 06, 2020, 08:32:07 am »
loonlover, I use my grandmother's crockery bowl when making bread also. Grinding wheat is an easy task when you have the right grinder. We had a Retsel grinder in our basement and ground wheat once/week. We bought 50 pound bags of wheat from Great Harvest.

Since we are unable to travel or be with our family this weekend, we have overplanned our eating at home. Last night was King Crab Legs. Tonight will be more moderate, but I have started some baked beans. I am a real fan of Rancho Gordo beans, and belong to their bean club. I get four shipments of 6 different beans/year, and they quickly stack up in the pantry if I don't keep making beans. I will never buy canned beans again. Today my beans are cooking in the Instant Pot, then they will get mixed with all the goodies and go in the oven for several hours. I have also made potato salad and bean salad for the weekend. Our weekly CSA box makes me plan ahead so I don't have a ton of produce still in the refrigerator when the next one arrives.

One of the excitements for the week was getting a new table for my sewing machine. I got a new machine 4 years ago (a Bernina 770 for those of you who know machines) and it weighs 42 pounds. My previous machine, also a Bernina (bought in 1992), weighs 21 pounds. I was using the same table, which was substantial, but really not up to the weight. Home Depot has a great Husky work table that fits my requirements, which include height adjustable. I am still tweaking with it getting it to that perfect point, but I feel assured it will not collapse on me.

Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33976 on: September 07, 2020, 05:22:13 am »
    i'm on a very weird wake/sleep pattern.  i'm up at 3 or 4 am and getting to bed around.... now.....

then up again at 2 for a while.

sigh....

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33977 on: September 07, 2020, 05:29:47 am »
    Good morning.  There are wild changes predicted for our weather today.  Temperatures are expected to only rise to the 70s before starting to drop this evening and rain coming for the next 7 days with temperatures not getting out of the 50s.  So, Fall is falling overnight??

I personally am pleased with cooler temperatures and the rain is much needed over most of drought-stricken Iowa.  However, we have not finished the outside painting of our front walkway and deck.  That is definitely a problem for now, but I'm sure weather will have at least one more warm up and dry spell before winter so we can get that done.

Everyone stay safe, be well, enjoy any personal and distanced holiday plans you may have.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33978 on: September 07, 2020, 06:14:54 am »
    Good morning.

Last week's forecasts was for some cooler temps by tomorrow, but the cold front apparently isn't coming our direction after all. We'll still be in the 90s most of the week with lows hovering around the upper 60s or lower 70s. I really was looking forward to some early morning temps in the 50s.

Mowing has to be on my agenda today. Lunch will be breakfast as II will be sleeping until 11 or so. Supper will come out of the slow cooker so it should still be an easy day food wise.

Hope you have a pleasant day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33979 on: September 07, 2020, 07:17:22 am »
    Good morning. It is 75 and sunny right now. My plans to sleep in were foiled by a little doggie...
    We were supposed to be getting cold weather tomorrow, but now the forecast says lows will only be high 60s - darn.
    We have been doing household cleaning this weekend. We have decided to have someone come out and give us an estimate for replacing some of the carpet downstairs. Of all the little mistakes we made when the house was built, going with carpet turned out to be a very bad idea. I doubt I will end up with real wood - too expensive and hard to care for. But my friend Rose has ceramic tile that looks like woid planks. I think that might be nice. We'll have to see what kind of estimates we get.
    Nothing special on the agenda today except DH fixing fajitas on the grill.
    Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #33980 on: September 07, 2020, 07:39:35 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently a sunny 72F and headed to 101F with a low of 68F tonight.

Last night I finished the cutting of material scheduled for week 1 of the Journey2Nebula sew along that I joined with my daughter. The material for two Seaside table runners is now in a project tray waiting for Tuesday and the next video.

On the agenda for today is making some requested Halloween themed masks from material in my stash, continuing quilting practice on a dog blanket, cleaning my sewing machine, putting in a fresh needle, choosing thread for the Seaside sewing project, continuing sewing/craft room organization, working in the garden, and any household chores that are absolutely necessary. Those last two items are intended to get me moving and out of the craft room for at least part of today.  ;)

On the agenda for tomorrow is delivering the masks, DH and I getting our flu shots, watching the video for week 2, and me spending as much time as possible in the craft room sewing on my first sew along.  ;D I am excited to be working on my first purchased quilt pattern. :D

I hope your days are wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

Offline LiveWell-Amy

• View Profile
    « Reply #33981 on: September 07, 2020, 04:44:16 pm »
    It's very hot in CA and we have another hot day tomorrow before it cools down to under 100F.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33982 on: September 08, 2020, 02:18:20 am »
    We had a nice holiday weekend for the weather. Now it is becoming more humid, but I still have the AC unit off. I took a walk again in Riverside Park South and up into the actual Riverside Park (above 72nd St.) to 80th and back. I was going to take my new Nikon (bought late June), but the battery needed charging.

On the way home I saw a phone booth (West End Ave. at 66th St.) and took a photo. The phone booth is between a mailbox and a bus stop shelter. I don't see those very often now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224163498501185&set=a.1070980780747

Hope you all have a good and safe Tuesday.

New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33983 on: September 08, 2020, 05:50:23 am »
    Good morning.  It is 54 degrees (also expected high for the day) and a thunderstorm is happening.  We received a couple of inches of rain overnight, starting around 9 p.m. yesterday. I'm am working really hard to convince my husband and MIL we do NOT need to turn on the heat yet ...

We did get out not long after I typed yesterday's good morning and finished the painting in the walkway, so at least that job got done in time.  YAY!

RIP to another baseball legend, Lou Brock. I have multiple Cardinal's #20 jersey and t-shirts in my closet.  :'(

Everyone stay safe, be well.  Welcome, LiveWell-Amy.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33984 on: September 08, 2020, 08:37:31 am »
    Good morning.

It was 70 when I got up this morning. Now it is 81 degrees and heading to 91 with 69% humidity. No rain in the forecast for the next 10 days and they are saying lows in the 60s by next week. Not convinced since last week the forecast was for lows in the 50s by the end of this week.

Mowing was accomplished yesterday in a fairly short time. But it did make me want to get out and rake. But, it will be December before I find out if the allergy shots are effective and whether I will ever be able to dig/play in the dirt again. I feel safe mowing because it's not hands on, I wear calf high boots with the pant legs tucked in, and am ever watchful for ant hills. I do feel like the crazy old woman in the neighborhood in her costume at times, especially during the hot months.

Made a run to Fresh Market while II slept this morning. We do go through a lot of chicken breasts and I like taking advantage of their weekly special. Allergy shot and lunch from somewhere after he sleeps 3-4 hours.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33985 on: September 08, 2020, 09:49:16 am »
    Good morning.  We started at 75 and are heading to the mid-80s with rain this afternoon.  Feels like a Monday for some reason...

After dropping Ginger off at daycare this morning I had to pick up DH from the dealership.  He needed to leave his truck for an oil change and state inspection and didn't want to sit there all morning.  We'll go get the truck before picking Ginger up after work.

Have a great week and stay safe.

Offline telracs

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33986 on: September 08, 2020, 01:41:51 pm »
    afternoon.

i seem to be cycling into a pretty down/apathetic mood and just don't want to do anything but make my 1 dollar per day swagbucks and sleep...

so i am going to force myself to get off line and go for a walk.  it's 80 degrees, but i want to head down towards the water and this time i'll take my kindle and read for a bit, i think.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33987 on: September 09, 2020, 05:39:03 am »
    telracs, I hope your venture outside was a good one.

Good morning.

Another day in the 90s with a few periods of cloudiness. No rain predicted.

Nothing specific in the plans other than a trip to the post office. II wants to send some straps he made for keeping masks from pulling on the ears so much to our sons.

We actually got out after supper last night and went for a walk. Finally checked out the new sidewalk. It sure is better than walking in the street as we were doing previously. Hopefully, they will come up with the money to extend it on down the street. It seems like a little thing, but I have seen more people walking by since it was put in.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33988 on: September 09, 2020, 06:48:50 am »
    Good morning.  "Record cold highs" is the oxymoronic phrase local weather forecasters are using for our temperatures. So, the coldest high temperatures for today and yesterday ever recorded in the state.  Rain showers continue, no deluges, much needed by the farmers, with today's temperature hoping to top out at 50.

I'm thinking chicken and noodles sound like perfect comfort food in dreary, cold, wet weather.  After I post this, I will go make egg noodles and get thawed chicken and broth simmering.  If I get ambitious I might start a loaf of bread as well.  I think I posted a couple of months ago about finding a fairly soft white bread recipe that you braid before 2nd rise and top with egg wash and Everything Bagel Seasoning. It would be delicious for sopping up chicken and noodles!

I better get in gear ...  Everyone stay safe, be well.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33989 on: September 09, 2020, 07:39:20 am »
    Our great summer in the Pacific NW has turned to smoke, wind, fire. Both Oregon and Washington have fires all over the state, and we are covered with smoke. As I am sure you are aware, CA is also suffering one of its worst fire seasons. My friends living on the coast are covered in smoke. Usually the winds blow east, but this year they have changed and are blowing west. In Oregon whole counties are being evacuated, and yesterday I had friends who were out rescuing horses so their owners could evacuate the property. In WA a whole town burned to the ground. Some people in my small town have been without power for a few days. We have not even had flickers, but we live in a newer area and the utilities are underground. However, if the transformer goes out we are in the black. My grandkids in Portland have just started school (virtually) and now their internet connection is down. We just sit tight, count our blessings, and do what we can for those less fortunate.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33990 on: September 09, 2020, 09:08:04 am »
    Good morning.  79 and rainy in Austin today.
    I took an early lunch to get a haircut before our vacation.  So that's good.  But my mood is better because I stopped at the Dairy Queen next to the salon and got a tiny little blizzard - my most favorite flavor, french silk pie.  They can't make them all year because the pie pieces are seasonal.  But they have pumpkin pie blizzard right now, so I can get the french silk - as long as the person in the store knows how to make it.  Yesterday we went through the drive-thru after picking up Ginger and I couldn't convince the lady taking my order that YES, you can make a french silk.  Because I forgot exactly what goes into one.  The manager today said to ask for a brownie supreme and sub the pie pieces for the brownie pieces.  It was so yummy.
    (Having said that - I don't know if you know what Dairy Queen is.  It may be a Texas thing.  But it's been a treat for me since I was little.  One of my aunts used to have a Dairy Queen franchise in the little town where my grandma lived.)
    I hope you are all well.
    Hang in there telracs. 
    Stay safe.

Offline telracs

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33991 on: September 09, 2020, 09:28:03 am »
    DQ is most definitely not just a Texas thing, Andra..... (when i lived in the middle of nowheresville in upstate NY, it was the only ice cream place in town, and only open seasonally)

i'm feeling a bit better mentally today, but a bit off physically.

yesterday's walk ended up being a total of 4 miles, a bit more than planned because i always forget where the crossovers for the highway are and so to get to the water i had to go a 1/2 mile or so extra.  but it was worth it, i walked a bit, then sat and read and watched the sun set over staten island, then walked a bit more, sat a bit more, read a bit more, then walked along the pier to see the NYC skyline light up then hiked up the hill home. 

it's cloudy here now, and temps will be hovering around 80 degrees, but i'm thinking of doing another similar walk today and hitting the grocery store for a few things on my way home now that i know it's open until at least 8:30.

rain in the forecast for the next couple of days, which may curtail my walking. 

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33992 on: September 09, 2020, 10:54:20 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

Hoping for safety for those impacted and an early end to the fires on the west coast. The smoke from the California fires have covered the skies here, resulting in the sun and moon appearing red.

DH and I got our flu shots yesterday. We were the first ones to show up for the first of two half hour windows at our local rural Walmart when they have two pharmacists on duty at the same time.  Due to family obligations, we cannot guarantee that we will be available when the Flu Vaccination Fair is scheduled. I believe that this was the first time that I got the extra strength version intended for those of us over 65, when the immune system is supposed to be weakening. As expected, yesterday my arm became sore around the injection site and this morning I am feeling achy. I have a slight headache and sore throat. What I didn't expect is that I have a temperature of 99.4F, which is 2 degrees above my normal 97.4F. Also, my overactive immune system seems to be happily attacking all of my joints,  not just the ones in the arm where I had the injection. Other than that, I feel fine but tired. I will be taking it easy today.

Take care and be safe!

I hope your days are wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33993 on: September 09, 2020, 02:00:16 pm »
    Anna, too late for you this year, but the nurses I worked with always recommended taking a dose of Tylenol shortly after getting a flu shot. Don't remember experiencing any effects from the shot after I started following that advice. I also saw them practice what they preached.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33994 on: September 09, 2020, 03:50:20 pm »
    Anna, too late for you this year, but the nurses I worked with always recommended taking a dose of Tylenol shortly after getting a flu shot. Don't remember experiencing any effects from the shot after I started following that advice. I also saw them practice what they preached.
    Thanks! I will remember that for next year!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33995 on: September 09, 2020, 09:43:14 pm »
    Jane, pictures in San Francisco and the Northwest of red and orange skies were all over the news today. How awful. I hope the situation improves.

Heard that there was an earthquake in the Monmouth County, New Jersey area (where my hometown Long Branch is). People on facebook attributed it to more badness of 2020 and asked, "what next, locusts?"

Wednesday afternoon I went for my annual mammogram and semi-annual DEXA test to measure bone density. The radiology place drove me a little nuts two years ago and last year they didn't take my insurance but referred me the same day to a place two blocks away (and I'd been there before). The one that took my insurance was so much calmer and a quick and easy experience. Two years ago at the hectic place, I was called back by letter and I was there for four hours, including waiting time and numerous pictures they took, then an unplanned sonogram and yet more pictures on the mammo machine again!

So I was back at the crazy place Wednesday and the one good thing about going during this crisis is that they couldn't overbook. They were all very nice and tried to do the right things. They were running an hour behind on the mammos, but I passed some of that time getting the DEXA. They only took 4 standard pics on the mammogram. Please don't call me back there!

While I was waiting I tried to read my book but was distracted by all the chatter that I have become unaccustomed to and later I was nodding off. So I stopped reading and looked at facebook until my phone went to 20% charged. I was thinking about what I would eat when I get home, since I'd only been drinking water and used the exercise bike beforehand.

I had a very good chicken sandwich at home. I'd also been thinking about taking a walk by the Hudson, but I never went out again. I did play flute for 40 minutes.

There is a group on facebook called "Etude of the Week" where we all work on the same etudes/studies and post one recording of the same one each week. I only posted a few times in summer of 2019, but I still work on the same etudes they do and find it motivating. They voted on a new book last week. It's one that I have, but I wasn't sure where it was. Had to go through 3 piles of music to find it Wednesday night. It is pretty easy, so I should start recording again and post. Probably it will be easy until I start recording and then I will discover all the things I didn't quite get and need to work on. These etudes are by Drouet (French). My book is so old. I bought it in college, around 1970-72. At the time, I was sick of working on Andersen etudes and told my teacher I wanted to work on Drouet. I think he made me do both Drouet and more Andersen. In those days, the French publisher Leduc printed on very large pages on very cheap degradable paper. The back cover tonight is partially disintegrating. Leduc editions have always been more expensive than Schirmer, Southern Music and others. Now Leduc prints on standard size, better-quality paper. The prices have quadrupled or quintupled since the old days. Remember when mass-market paperbacks were 35 cents? If not, you are younger than I am.

I got results from last week's blood work on Tuesday. What a relief that despite my overeating and massive weight gain, my A1C level is still normal. Other things are also normal.

I hope everyone stays well and that Thursday brings some good news, for a change.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33996 on: September 10, 2020, 05:41:39 am »
    Good morning.  I sure wish we could send some of our cooler, wet weather west to help out with all the fires.  Seeing the destruction on tv is heartbreaking and I pray relief/control comes soon.

I did make bread yesterday and it was delicious along with the homemade chicken and noodles.  Of course we always have chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes, so the meal is a carbohydrate dream/nightmare depending on how you look at it.  ::) :D

Tonight we will mask up and go to watch granddaughter's softball game from a distance if it does not get rained out.

Everyone stay as safe as you can, be well.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33997 on: September 10, 2020, 06:02:04 am »
    Good morning.

Thinking about all those affected by the fires. Can't imagine what the air must be like.

Another day of mostly sunny skies with temps in the 90s here. Not going to complain.

I don't think we have anywhere to go today. Always subject to change, though.

Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33998 on: September 10, 2020, 08:35:17 am »

We have not gotten our flu shots yet this year, so hopefully I will remember this advice.  Thanks!

Good morning!  The weather folks were wrong!  It's been abaout 56 since I got up this morning and it is wonderful.  It is still pretty damp.  I too wish we could send some of the blessed wet over to the fires.
    I have some errands to run today, but other than that and work, nothing special is happening here.

mlewis - glad your A1C was good.  My mom was very excited that hers was at a good place even after not really paying attention to what she was eating for the last few months.

Stay safe!

Offline telracs

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33999 on: September 10, 2020, 10:00:33 am »
    it's cooler here today, but way too humid.  i wasn't going to go out yesterday, but with rain in the forecast today, i decided to do a brief grocery run with some added steps.  picked up 2 new ice cream brands/flavors, sweet cream caramel brownie from mcconnell's and a cinnamon double dark chocolate from blue marble.

tasted the caramel brownie.  it was way sweet, and it was a salted caramel so i like it but don't love it.  will try the other flavor later.

today i am being a slug and staying home watching guy's grocery games while waiting for texts from my niece about my sister's knee surgery.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement