Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1514776 times)  

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #34075 on: October 06, 2020, 08:05:22 am »
Good morning.  It was mid-60s and foggy this morning.  After having to go in to office yesterday it was a pleasure to just walk upstairs this morning.
I hope everyone with injuries gets better soon.  Telracs thanks for the update on crebel.
Nothing new to report from Austin except the traffic was ugly yesterday morning and not so bad at 5:30pm.  I think some of the schools started in-person learning yesterday so there was extra traffic in the morning (People forgot how to drive!).
I am trying to get an appointment to renew my driver's license since it expires the beginning of November. 
Stay safe everybody - no more falls, OK?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34076 on: October 06, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »
    Update---
    crebel's surgery went well, she has a 4 inch plate and 6 screws. she's in a splint until the 19th when she goes back for staple removal.

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34077 on: October 06, 2020, 06:52:15 pm »
    crebel will probably be off the boards for a few days.  she apparently displaced every bone in her wrist and is scheduled for outpatient surgery on Tuesday afternoon.

will update as i get more info.

and mlewis- i was never really a fan of the flame diner.

The last time I ate in the Flame was in the '80s, after two Mets' baseball games. I went with one friend who had a ticket plan with me for all Tues/Fri. home games and once when she gave her ticket to a friend (a guy) because she was in the hospital. I remember when a certain Mets' player was getting injury care at Roosevelt Hospital next to the Flame ordered in from the Flame. In recent years I walked past the Flame many times and noticed that on the slate in the window they always had matzoh ball soup. It was very good (not as good as mine but I'm not going to make it any time soon). BTW, the Flame has been there longer than I have lived here (which is 43 years). I cook for myself 98% of the time. Used to take out a lot at a place that closed at 53rd and 9th, although now they are located in a diner on 9th/46th.

I am sorry about what happened to Crebel. My heart goes out. This sounds so painful or at least very debilitating. If you are reading, Crebel, good luck and prayers.

My friend who was hit by a car Monday posted a photo of himself in hospital with terrible black eye. Looked more like he'd been in a fight than a bike accident. When I had such an accident in '91, I fractured a clavicle and it took many months to heal. They cannot set it so it was just a flimsy brace and sling.

I called the Mount Sinai orthopedic clinic today (as directed by the ER last night). The person I talked to saw my record and thought I should be seeing the doctor at 425 W. 59th. "No," I said. "That is the doctor who turned me down for my insurance after 2 weeks." She couldn't give me anything until 10/22. Said she would check to see if they could overbook this Th or Fr and would get back to me tomorrow. In the meantime, an east side doctor's office offered me next Tuesday afternoon, so I'm going there. Will make do with the old ER splint for one more week.

I am concerned about where Napcat is but hoping he was just sick of my long notes and is very well. Hope you are all well. Prayers, Crebel!!! Hope you cope well. Best to everyone.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline telracs

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34078 on: October 06, 2020, 08:24:29 pm »
    i was jonesing for a burger last week, so when i went to the grocery store i stopped at a restaurant that i've never tried before and got a burger to go.  while i was waiting the waitress was taking an order from one of their outside tables recommended their hot honey wings.  so today when i did a drug store run, i walked over and ordered the burger and wings and truffle fries.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34079 on: October 07, 2020, 07:16:14 am »
    Good morning.

telracs, thanks for the update on crebel.

Crebel, thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Nice weather day with a high in the 80s again. Looks like we should enjoy the next couple of days as rain predicted starting early Friday morning through Sunday morning.

Made a lemon flavored angel food and what my grandmother called a Golden Glows cake (uses up the egg yolks left over from the angel food) yesterday. I'll freeze slices later today. Plan on starting a batch of chili shortly. Other than that, no specific plans for the day.

Enjoy the day as best you can. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34080 on: October 07, 2020, 10:33:40 am »
    Good afternoon...
    It was 61 here this morning and now it is 83. It would be lovely to take breaks in the backyard except for the mosquitoes and the neighbor who seems to come outside and smoke every time I go outside. I need to get on a different break schedule and make sure my thermacell is by the door.

Take care everyone.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34081 on: October 07, 2020, 10:57:45 am »
    Afternoon. Thanks for caring everyone and special thanks to telracs for keeping folks updated.

I'm doing pretty well! Staying on top of pain, DH and MIL faithfully waiting on me. Monday I had hair to my waist which I kept in a ponytail/bun/french roll. To prepare for surgery and months of "one-handedness" I had it chopped off to an over the ears boy cut. I hate it, but it will grow back and I'll eventually be able to style it to something more feminine looking.  In the meantime, WAY easier to get up and run a damp washcloth over it to smooth it out! No tangles for sure.

A couple of more do nothing days and then I can start trying to accomplish a little more for myself.

Everyone stay safe and be well. mlewis and Andrea,  I hope your ortho and dental issues are cleared up soon.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34082 on: October 08, 2020, 05:11:02 am »
    Good morning.  It's 62 here and looks like another pretty day.
    My allergies are driving me crazy right now.  I am stuffed up and am sneezing more than usual.  I love the cooler weather, but the first few weeks are agony.  At least my knee has stopped aching.  I have doterra's Breathe blend in the vaporizer right now to open my head up.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34083 on: October 08, 2020, 05:49:06 am »
    Good morning.

A high in the 80s again today but 57 at the moment.

We have appointments for flu shots this morning. Dinner going in the slow cooker so it will be ready when we get home. Besides getting the chili I made yesterday put in the freezer, maybe mowing this afternoon.

Stay safe.

Offline telracs

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34084 on: October 08, 2020, 09:10:26 am »
    i was going to do a bakery run yesterday, but by the time i got ready, it was raining, so i communed with richard simmons for a bit of an exercise change.

it's 61 now, going up to into the 70s.  so i'm going to have breakfast then head out for a walk to the park and loop back by the bakery (and maybe a small grocery run, i want ice cream), so i'll share my goodies later.

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34085 on: October 08, 2020, 08:53:17 pm »
    Weather has been very good, but I get up so late and it takes a long time to shower and dress, so the past two days I've only walked to do small grocery errands. This evening I bought wine and brought it home before going out again to Amish Market and Rite Aid. Rite Aid run was for Werther's, Nips and Entenmanns mini-frosted donuts. Bought a little more than I should have. The Rite Aid bag didn't want to stay on my left shoulder, so I had to hold it with left hand. Made it home.

I did not see the deli cat at the deli, but a few hundred feet later, she came our from under a car that a woman got into. I said "hi" and she went on back to the deli. A few days ago I saw her sitting outside the deli like a watch cat. So funny.

Crebel, keep getting well. Glad you have people to help. Hope everyone stays well. We're having some rocky times with current events!
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34086 on: October 09, 2020, 05:49:23 am »
    Good morning.

Looks like we may only have one rainy day this weekend. At the moment the forecast says it will start about 1 AM in the morning and end about 24 hours later. Highs the next couple of days will be in the 70s.

II did the mowing yesterday afternoon. Another really good sign he is feeling better than he has in a long time. He works 3-11 today.

Flu shot trip was uneventful, although even with taking Tylenol, my arm was tender enough I couldn't lay on that side much so didn't sleep particularly well. The injection site was lower than in the past several years and I don't anticipate the soreness lasting very long. It would appear that CVS has hired someone to give shots only.

Everyone, take care of yourself. Do something different for the weekend. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34087 on: October 09, 2020, 05:53:35 am »
    Happy Friday!  It is 71 and a little cloudy here in Austin right now.  Today is our 27th wedding anniversary.  Guess we'll do something fun and spontaneous like ordering dinner (like we do every Friday).
    We are planning to get flu shots, but I want to wait until I go to the oral surgeon.  They have so many questions about how you are feeling that I didn't want to throw a flu shot in the mix when I already have the stuffy nose from allergies.  If I remember to use my nose spray twice a day I am less miserable.
    Glad to hear most of you are on the mend.  Take it easy.
    Stay safe!

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34088 on: October 09, 2020, 11:43:45 am »
    Happy Anniversary from both of us. Yes, doing something to celebrate an anniversary is rather difficult this year.

Offline telracs

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34089 on: October 09, 2020, 03:28:15 pm »
    i ended up doing about 3 miles yesterday, reading "the haunting of brynn wilder" in the park then spending way too much money at the bakery (*passes baklava, sugar cookies and rainbow cookies*) then taking the long way around to the grocery store (*passes hagen daaz whiskey hazelnut latte ice cream*) then taking another long way home.  today is kind of grey and gloomy and i'm feeling the same, so i'm staying in and moping.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34090 on: October 09, 2020, 09:19:15 pm »
    Yikes, crebel!! What did you do to yourself? I hope you are resting well.

The weather is turning to Fall tomorrow and I've had a lovely past couple of days enjoying the low 80's and knitting outside and taking my dog down to the river to do zoomies. But hopefully tomorrow will bring RAIN!!! It's still smoky here, so rain will be quite welcome.

Stay safe, everyone!

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34091 on: October 10, 2020, 03:12:16 am »
    Happy Anniversary, Andra.

I am afraid my phone is going bad. I missed 3 calls between 5:30-6:30pm. Didn't hear it ring. Then I discovered that while the ringer was on, the volume almost all the way down. I have been keeping it turned up because of other calls I have missed lately. It goes down by itself. I missed an Amazon delivery (buzzer downstairs goes to my phone), a doctor confirmation auto-call and another Amazon delivery. But the 2nd delivery was left for me. Someone else must have let them in. The battery goes down quickly and the phone fills up often despite all my deleting of files and apps. I bought it in March, 2016 and had a new battery put in in 2018. It's the iphone 6s. 64 GB.

Then after I walked to CVS on 9th and back last night, the the phone heart app read .04 mile. It would have been between .5 and .8 mile. I should get a fit bit or some other health watch. Then I could include my indoor steps.

I saw a pretty cool youtube video of a walk through the Arthur Ave. area (Little Italy) in the Bronx. The youtube channel is ActionKid. He does walks and bike rides around the city. He had a sports writer Rich Mancuso talk through the walk. Besides some of the restaurants, they walked on Mancuso's childhood street and he recalled playing stickball, school days and his family and friends. The walk starts 13 minutes in after an interview with Mancuso and another older man.

Hope you enjoy Saturday and stay safe.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34092 on: October 10, 2020, 07:48:57 am »
    Good morning.

66 degrees and heading to 77 with rain until early afternoon. The rain has been gently, mostly with an occasional slight gust of wind blowing it against the windows.

Slept a little later than usual this morning. Figure that was due to how dark it stayed after sunrise.

No goals for today. Will be using some of the food stash from the freezer so meals should be easy.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34093 on: October 10, 2020, 09:27:56 am »
    Good morning from the PNW! Rain and clouds have finally returned to us here in SW Washington. It is 57, drizzly, cozy by the fire. I is expected to get up to 60 today, about the same as it is now at 9am.

Best wishes for healthy healing for those who have broken bones lately. Seems like a common occurrence here the last few weeks.

mlewis, I have an iPhone 8, considering to upgrade to the SE. My husband has my old 6s, and it is also wonky. I don't know if I will pass down my 8 to him, or just order us both the SE. The 11 looks like overkill for my needs and has the same processor as the SE. However, that upgrade is on the back burner right now because I have just ordered a new Apple Watch 6, an upgrade from my series 3. It is expected to arrive Monday. I have already received the packaging to send in my series 3 as a trade in.

DH and sons cleaned out 2 storage units this weekend and packed everything on a Haul that is on its way to Montana. The units held all the belongings of a son we lost 4 years ago. After the house was sold we put everything in storage because we all already had full houses. Now it is on its way to Bozeman with a friend of all the boys who just bought a new house and has no furnishings. We couldn't be happier about where everything is going.

My county in Washington is still on phase 2, and a long way from moving to phase 3. We are pretty much staying home, though we have had a few visits with children and grandchildren, wearing masks and socially distancing outside.

Stay safe everyone!  Jane
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34094 on: October 10, 2020, 09:41:41 am »
    Oh my friends, I am afraid I have bad news to pass along. I have been trying to reach the NapCat for several weeks and finally resorted to posting on his Facebook page looking for news. His neighbor replied "Rest easy, Walter Slack. Thank you for your friendship. I will certainly miss you, my friend."  An online search indicates that he died on September 25.

He was such a big part of KBoards for so long, especially here in this thread. I will miss him.
    « Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:50:16 am by spotsmom »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34095 on: October 10, 2020, 11:50:00 am »
    Oh my friends, I am afraid I have bad news to pass along. I have been trying to reach the NapCat for several weeks and finally resorted to posting on his Facebook page looking for news. His neighbor replied "Rest easy, Walter Slack. Thank you for your friendship. I will certainly miss you, my friend."  An online search indicates that he died on September 25.

He was such a big part of KBoards for so long, especially here in this thread. I will miss him.

Oh damn. I have been googling him faithfully for weeks and was heartened that I never got an obit or death notice. This is another tremendous KB loss. Thanks for letting us know the outcome, spotsmom, it at least provides some closure.

RIP Napcat/Walter.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34096 on: October 10, 2020, 12:27:02 pm »
    Oh no. Such a big part of the KB family for so long. His avatar always brought a smile to my face.

I like to think he is now surrounded by kittens napping in a hammock smiling over at the rainbow bridge.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34097 on: October 10, 2020, 02:23:56 pm »

Thank you for letting us know. Rest well my friend. We miss you.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34098 on: October 10, 2020, 02:53:44 pm »
    Thank you, spotsmom, for letting us know. His posts and his love for cats will be sorely missed around here.

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34099 on: October 10, 2020, 11:11:55 pm »
    I am so sorry that Napcat is gone.  I did not know his real name, so I didn't search. RIP.

Jane, thank you for the information about upgrading iphones. So the SE would be better than the 8, but smaller? I will take a look at Apple's site. I keep forgetting, because I was very satisfied with my 6s until now. Today I took it off the charger to go out and was going to listen to a podcast while walking to Whole Foods. It reloaded the podcast app but wouldn't turn it on, so I went to an audiobook to listen to and after one minute the power went down to 2%. I put it on the charger for a few minutes but it would not go above 12%.

When I was paying in Whole Foods, I could not turn the phone on to show them the app. Gave them my phone number.  I think that joining Audible did not help and only filled up my phone more. I couldn't figure how to send books I am not listening to back to the cloud.

Hope you all stay well and enjoy Sunday.

New York, NY

KBoards.com

• Advertisement