Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1514772 times)  

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #34100 on: October 11, 2020, 04:37:08 am »
Good morning, although the heart is a bit heavy this morning and I didn't sleep well. I've been up since around 3:30.

Sometimes it was a surprise to see NapCat had posted before me. That usually meant he was off on a bit of a venture that day, whether to a new assignment, a trip to town, or to volunteer at the wildlife refuge. He will be missed around here. RIP, NapCat.

Looks like a warm day in store with an expected high in the 80s.

Our main goal for the day is to drive into Little Rock and figure out the best way to get to the arena. The construction on redoing I-30 through town has begun in earnest and all theexits used in the past will be closed by Wednesday. I have one path in mind, but not sure II agrees with it. This is going to be a real mess for a long time. The choices are exiting the interstate really early and meandering through parts of Little Rock, or staying on the interstate past the normal exit, and backtracking to the arena. Neither one really appeal. Traffic will be an issue on 3-11 days. Another reason I'm not really bothered by not working.

Have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34101 on: October 11, 2020, 08:44:14 am »

Jane, thank you for the information about upgrading iphones. So the SE would be better than the 8, but smaller? I will take a look at Apple's site. I keep forgetting, because I was very satisfied with my 6s until now. Today I took it off the charger to go out and was going to listen to a podcast while walking to Whole Foods. It reloaded the podcast app but wouldn't turn it on, so I went to an audiobook to listen to and after one minute the power went down to 2%. I put it on the charger for a few minutes but it would not go above 12%.

When I was paying in Whole Foods, I could not turn the phone on to show them the app. Gave them my phone number.  I think that joining Audible did not help and only filled up my phone more. I couldn't figure how to send books I am not listening to back to the cloud.

mlewis, the SE is an upgrade to the 8. I think it is the same size as the 8. The 11, $300 more, has a more sophisticated camera and is larger. I don't think I want anything larger than my 8. I have small hands and like throwing it in my pocket. It is easy to do a comparison on the Apple site.

RIP, NapCat.

Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34102 on: October 11, 2020, 05:01:35 pm »
    I just bought an iPhone SE because for $250 it's a steal. I hear it's the same size as a 7 or 8.

My heart is heavy too at losing the NapCat. It just doesn't seem real. I am going to make a donation to the Ash Meadows NWR which is a place near his home and his heart. He will be missed.

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34103 on: October 11, 2020, 08:39:04 pm »
    My heart is heavy too at losing the NapCat. It just doesn't seem real. I am going to make a donation to the Ash Meadows NWR which is a place near his home and his heart. He will be missed.

Amen.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34104 on: October 12, 2020, 05:51:05 am »

Is that the Refuge where he so gleefully volunteered?  I think that would be an excellent tribute.

Morning all.  Weather starting out nice and cool, but hotter afternoons are in store for us.
    We ended up ordering breakfast on Saturday to do something different for our anniversary.  I don't get French toast very ofter so it's a real treat.

Take care.  Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34105 on: October 12, 2020, 07:26:34 am »
    https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/nv/pahrump/walter-john-slack-11553520#events

Here is a link to the only obituary I found in the Pahrump NV paper.

My arm is doing well.  Some digestive issues from various medications have finally started to resolve and I hope to feel more "normal" and less exhausted after today.

Belated Happy Anniversary, Andra! I'm glad you found a way to celebrate in these unique times.

Stay well, be safe.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34106 on: October 12, 2020, 07:52:20 am »
    https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/nv/pahrump/walter-john-slack-11553520#events

Here is a link to the only obituary I found in the Pahrump NV paper.

My arm is doing well.  Some digestive issues from various medications have finally started to resolve and I hope to feel more "normal" and less exhausted after today.

Belated Happy Anniversary, Andra! I'm glad you found a way to celebrate in these unique times.

Stay well, be safe.
    I hope you aren't in too much pain.  :(. Here is to healing fast.  :-*

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34107 on: October 12, 2020, 07:58:22 am »
    A donation to Ash Meadows seems apt. I had thought of doing that and now I know the name of it.

Good morning.

I slept better last night, even waking up later than normal.

Breakfast eaten, laundry started, and bill paying yet to be done. I lead such a boring life, but I don't mind.

Hope everyone is doing well. Stay safe.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34108 on: October 12, 2020, 09:40:20 pm »
    Where some of you are, it IS morning! Thanks, crebel, for that link. I am feeling down in the dumps about losing him. I did write to Ash Meadows asking how to make a donation in his memory and will let you know what I find out.

And the Dodgers lost tonight, but the Rays have defeated the cheating Astro's 2 straight games so that makes my baseball self happy.

Tuesday is take hubby to the surgeon for a follow up visit and it's supposed to rain a lot of the day. Yay!!!

Hope you're better, crebel!
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:51:10 pm by spotsmom »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34109 on: October 13, 2020, 05:39:40 am »
    Good morning. Woohoo! I made a cup of tea and left-handed buttered a piece of toast all by myself this morning!  ;D  A small but satisfying accomplishment.

Everyone stay safe, be well, be good to yourselves and others.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34110 on: October 13, 2020, 06:04:48 am »
    Good morning.

Crebel, progress!

Cool at 44 this morning and climbing to 77 or so.

II works 11-7 tonight. While he sleeps in this morning, I'll make a produce run. I've been out of lettuce for several days. Need to be able to make salad again.

We did figure out the best route for II to get to the arena. His commute time won't change much when he goes in at 11 PM, but the traffic will probably increase it when he goes in at 3 PM. There may be a slight change when he comes home, but he won't have to go through as much of the downtown area to be able to hit a freeway entrance. Still not bad for us, but I do feel for the current commuters looking at 3-4 years of this.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34111 on: October 13, 2020, 06:09:05 pm »
    Crebel, I am glad you are on the mend.

I went to the orthopedic doctor on E. 64th. The trip was OK. I was hoping to walk but this was 2nd day in a row of rain and holding the umbrella with the left hand the entire way was not a good idea. Turned out that by the time I left, the rain stopped but left too late to walk. I took the subway for first time since 2/28 from 7th/57th to Lexington/59th. The exit was on 3rd Ave. So much the better. The east side looked good to me today. It is cleaner than my area and everyone I saw wore masks.

I got a cast -- hot pink. I had the option of leaving the splint on or get a cast (since i am more than 3 weeks in). This feels better and does not cover as much of my arm or hand. So far i have done no harm to the fracture. The doc said this kind of fracture (radial distal?) only happens to those with osteoporosis. My arm was found to have it 4 years ago, but so far no osteoporosis in my spine or hip. They x-rayed my good hand and the tech told me I have arthritis in that wrist. I am not surprised. I think I have it in fingers too.

Healing takes 6 weeks and then hand/wrist therapy. My goal is to play flute again, but we need our wrists to be good for everything we do with our hands.

Our weather should be better tomorrow. It's been in the 50s, damp and very early in the morning it was 49. 68 inside when I got up. No heat yet.

I stopped at Mee Noodle Shop for dumplings to take out on the way home.

Take care, everyone.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34112 on: October 13, 2020, 06:19:33 pm »
    Here is a link to the only obituary I found in the Pahrump NV pape
    Stay well, be safe.

Thank you, Crebel, for posting this. I didn't see much in the obit, but i left a guest note. I saw the photos that a friend of his added.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34113 on: October 14, 2020, 06:45:11 am »
    Good morning.

mlewis, glad the doctor's visit went well. Continued healing vibes sent your way.

44 degrees again this morning with a forecast high of 80 with sunny skies. Might try to get my walk in this morning while it is a little cooler.

Nothing special planned for the day. Guess that will be the norm for a while. II says they are hoping to begin having events at the arena after the first of the year. I'm not convinced that it will happen that soon.

Enjoy what you can today. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34114 on: October 14, 2020, 12:46:30 pm »
    Well it's morning somewhere.
    My tooth extraction went well yesterday. I was on pretty strong pain meds through bedtime yesterday, but today am getting by with ibuprofen and ice packs. Now I have an excuse to eat ice cream for a few days :)

Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34115 on: October 14, 2020, 04:31:15 pm »
    Good evening. It's good to hear positive health updates from mlewis and Andra!

I managed to make a pot of bean soup and cornbread muffins one-handed today after DH pulled the IP out for me! I think he is relieved he may not have to continue doing all the cooking and cleaning after he gets home from work every day. It will be a while before I can use the can opener or open a new/tight jar of anything, so MIL says she will open anything I have sitting on the counter when she gets back from her walk every day. I think I said it before, but I have no clue how I would manage living alone. Blessings for you, mlewis.

Be safe, be well.

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34116 on: October 14, 2020, 08:06:11 pm »
    Thank you Crebel, Loonlover and others for your good wishes. Andra, wishing you the best.

Crebel, I looked at a few youtube videos about doing things with a cast on the arm a few weeks ago. There was one woman who had a few videos, because she had a wrist fracture from a snowboard accident. Some of it helped, but we do figure out on our own what we can do with the other hand. I've been cooking and prepping but took out a slice of pizza tonight. There are some dishes I cannot do. I don't think I can open a jar of marinara sauce, so I'm not making the Instant Pot spaghetti with meat sauce. I do not use the grater for cheese when I make an omelet but cut the cheese up.

I slept in today and went out this evening to take out garbage and visit CVS for soda and taking out that slice of pizza.  It was after 9 and no one else was in the pizza place. They had a sign-in sheet for people who are eating in. I've heard that when you eat in here in NYC that the restaurant has to take your contact information in case they have to do a tracing after someone gets Covid. Some places take your temp (not sure if that is required).

I still have not shopped for a new phone. I think one of the problems I am having is that it won't take the iphone update because of space and it isn't supporting all the apps. My health app today only recorded 6 steps and i walked at least .8 mile. I ordered a fit-bit versa watch tonight that was $50 off for prime day. It's not the latest model, which is $230. The one I'm getting is $128 after the discount. There was no discount on Prince of Peace Ginger Chews, but I ordered them. Yesterday I ordered 2 long-sleeve v-neck tops and a nightgown (some discount) and used the $10 they offered for spending that amount at Whole Foods last week.

Wishing you all a good evening and tomorrow morning (Thurs).
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34117 on: October 15, 2020, 05:41:57 am »
    Good morning.

Cloudy skies and a high of 64 today with a slight possibility of a rain shower.

Andra, glad to hear your procedure went well.

mlewis and Crebel, glad to hear you are adapting. I was always amazed at how my mother managed when she broke her upper arm in her eighties. She did get some occupational therapy before she left the hospital, though, that gave her suggestions on how to do things that would make life easier for her.

Nothing going on here today. We might make it to TSC for bird seed. I'm not going through a lot of seed right now, but might as well get some stocked up for when the gold finch arrive. Plus, I have a discount to use.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34118 on: October 15, 2020, 07:28:26 am »
    Had a long post typed and managed to delete instead of post, so shorter version is: Good morning, cold and blustery here; one-handedness would be easier to adapt if the usable arm/hand was my dominant arm.

Stay safe, be well. Where's Anna? I don't want any more missing persons.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34119 on: October 15, 2020, 03:39:27 pm »
    Hello! I hated to ask where is Anna also, but I see she hasn't posted for awhile.

Glad you ladies are adjusting to your injuries. I only have one thing to say about the time I broke a finger on my dominant hand. Tampax. Hopefully you won't be affected!!

Got my new iphone SE today and boy do I like that smaller size (same as 6s, 7 and 8). I just don't need to carry around a jr tablet in my pocket. Easy peasy transfer from my old phone too.

Beautiful day here today.30 this morning. Loonlover do you get goldfinches in the fall? I am lucky if they come in the summer. I adore them. They are the state bird of Washington. So petite. Enjoy them.

Stay well everyone.
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:26:50 pm by spotsmom »

Online mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34120 on: October 16, 2020, 03:33:50 am »
    A friend suggested that I take my iphone 6s to an Apple store (will need an appointment) to be evaluated for what the problems are. He said they are likely to recommend buying a new one.

Thursday was the second nice day in a row, and I didn't get out until after dark both days. I walked to Amish Market just before they closed tonight. We are getting rain all day today. 66 now, I thin (6:30 am).

I have seen Anna on facebook on the 13th.

I like goldfinches too.

Hope everyone is well and enjoys Friday.
    New York, NY

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34121 on: October 16, 2020, 05:03:39 am »
    Good morning.  We had a hard frost overnight and they are using the S*** word (no accumulation) Saturday night into Sunday morning!  :o

This afternoon DH will be picking up half a beef we ordered in June from a local locker, so we will be set for a long time with fewer trips to the grocery store.

mlewis, thanks for the FB sighting of Anna.

Stay well, be safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34122 on: October 16, 2020, 05:04:28 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. DH and I are alive and well. I apologize for not checking in here earlier and causing concern. We have been busy and time seems to fly by. This morning I woke up at 3 AM and had time to catch up.

The news about NapCat's passing is so very sad. I will miss him, especially here and in the Pound-A-Week Club thread. He was so helpful and encouraging. I will miss the stories about the cats and the Lighthouse Ranch. RIP NapCat (Walter) :(

Mlewis, glad your wrist seems to be healing well and hope the osteoporosis does not get worse.

Crebel, glad your wrist surgery went well and that you are able to do a bit more.

Andra, a very belated Happy Anniversary to you and your spouse. Glad your tooth extraction went well.

The sale of my mom's house to one of her grandsons (my nephew) was completed. My sister, who is the estate executor, caught several mistakes in the paperwork and got them corrected. Then there was trouble getting an appointment with the credit union to get the funds distributed. I provided support to my sister via phone and in person. I went with her to the credit union appointment, took her shopping at JoAnn's, and then we bought food at Pei Wei's to take to her house to eat with her and her husband.

DH has been busy rebuilding some of the cabinets and other items that we rescued from going to the landfill during the demolition portion of the remodel on mom's/nephew's house.

I have been busy with origami Zoom meetings and trying to keep up on the Journey2Nebula sew-along that my daughter suggested that I do with her. As a beginning quilter, I am learning a lot. I have also been sewing more masks. However, as with many things, I tend to go at turtle speed. ;)

We also are continuing to sort through and organize our stuff in preparation for an eventual move in with our daughter.

Something has been eating some of the luffas growing in the garden. A few days ago, DH called me out to identify scat in the back yard. It appeared to be coyote scat to me. That was a lot less worrisome than either the bobcat or mountain lion that DH was worrying about. Yesterday I saw the family flock of about two dozen quail that stay around our acre. I suspect that they are what has been eating the luffas. I know that the chickens loved eating the young luffas. I am happy to think that the quail are enjoying them also. There are more than enough for all of us.

I have signed up for the Everyone Runs Veterans Day 5K. I definitely need to start run/walking regularly as sitting at a sewing machine for long hours is not helping me lose the weight that I have put on this year! The cooler weather will help me be more active outside.

Four days ago we had the power go out at about 2:30 AM. Since DH uses a CPAP, it woke him instantly. I woke about an hour later due to overheating with the ceiling fan off. I checked our power company's website via my phone. Most of our county was out of electricity. It was still off at 8 AM, so we drove to Tucson to eat breakfast, deliver some stuff to my sister, and run some other errands. We headed home after the website said that power was restored. Fortunately, very little from the refrigerator needed to be tossed out.

DH and I completed our early ballots and deposited them in the local official ballot collection box inside the local county services building, as we have done for the past several years.

My granddaughters are Tohono O'odham. In the past few weeks, my oldest granddaughter has driven down to the area by Quitobaquito Springs. Once was to participate in a protest over the destruction caused by wall construction through O'odham land. Once was to participate in a healing ceremony before the roads were closed. She is an active member of VOSA (Voices of O'odham Students at ASU). I attended a very interesting Zoom meeting that VOSA had in preparation for Indigenous Peoples Day. I am grateful that she was not at the protest on Indigenous Peoples Day when tear gas and rubber bullets were used against peaceful protesters. What our government is doing there is dreadful.

I am going to try to get a few more hours of sleep before I get up. I will be packing and then driving to my daughter's house for the weekend and to go to my doctor's office early Monday morning for my annual physical exam. I will be taking some of DH's power tools so that my daughter and I can finish the remodel project DH started a week and a half ago. I will also take some framed photos and other stuff that can move there early.

May your day be filled with wonder. Stay safe and well. Sending healing energy to all who need it. Be excellent to each other.
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 12:51:23 pm by Annalog »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34123 on: October 16, 2020, 05:11:25 am »
    Anna!  I am so happy to read your busy update and know that all is well.  :-*

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34124 on: October 16, 2020, 05:49:06 am »
    Good morning.

Anna, good to hear from you. We were all a little worried, I admit.

spotsmom, gold finches arrive here between Thanksgiving and Christmas and usually stay until April. This year I had a couple of pairs through most of the summer. There are more than I can count at the feeders some days once they arrive.

Snow? And here I was thinking I wasn't ready for a low of 41 tonight. Always been glad we moved south as the older I get, the more I dislike being cold.

We didn't leave the house yesterday, after all. It stayed gloomy all day and we just didn't stir ourselves to do much of anything. Need to change that feeling of ennui, somehow. Maybe sunshine today will help with that.

Enjoy your Friday. Do something a little different to mark the weekend. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement