Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1500978 times)  

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #34125 on: October 16, 2020, 05:49:06 am »
Good morning.

Anna, good to hear from you. We were all a little worried, I admit.

spotsmom, gold finches arrive here between Thanksgiving and Christmas and usually stay until April. This year I had a couple of pairs through most of the summer. There are more than I can count at the feeders some days once they arrive.

Snow? And here I was thinking I wasn't ready for a low of 41 tonight. Always been glad we moved south as the older I get, the more I dislike being cold.

We didn't leave the house yesterday, after all. It stayed gloomy all day and we just didn't stir ourselves to do much of anything. Need to change that feeling of ennui, somehow. Maybe sunshine today will help with that.

Enjoy your Friday. Do something a little different to mark the weekend. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34126 on: October 16, 2020, 06:12:22 am »
    Happy Friday!  It's a very nippy 64 here this morning since we have a lot of wind.  I had to put on a jacket to walk from the car to the office.  We are setting up for a meeting next week.  I haven't quite figured out why I have to be at the office when we are having a remote meeting, but I guess it's job security.  At least I should be able to head home earlier than 4pm.

Glad to hear from you Anna.  I think we are all a little on edge from NapCat.

I am still eating ice cream for breakfast.  I suspect that will only be a few more days.  I will also be glad when I can use a straw again.  Apparently I forgot how to drink out of a cup without one - even with a nice lid with a drinking hole in it.  I have made more messes with drinks in the last few days than in the last few years...

Yesterday we discovered that my dishwasher is not really doing its job.  All the dishes had spots of dried stuff on them.  I had to rewash the entire load by hand.  I suspect it has something to do with the dishwasher also being 22 years old.  To the best of my knowledge it's never been cleaned or anything.  Project for this weekend is trying to clean it out.  If that doesn't work I guess I am getting a dishwasher for my birthday.  I am already paying for two new AC units - not ready for the rest of my appliances to give up on me!

I have a stack of things to go to Goodwill that need to leave the house soon.  They are stacked on the hearth and if the colder weather continues I want a fire :)

Take care everybody.  Stay safe.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34127 on: October 16, 2020, 12:38:27 pm »
    Hard frost here overnight as well, but it's supposed to be 75 today before going back down to the 60's again. My dog and I are going to a local small lake where the other day I discovered about six LOONS! I was so excited to see them, and they even made loon noises for me. I've only heard them once before in my life so it was very special. Hopefully they'll still be there for me and my spotting scope.

Anna, I'm so glad you're back! Glad to read that your granddaughters are sticking up for their heritage. It is dreadful.

Tonight I hope to finish my "Dissent Toque" which is a hat knit in memory of Ruth Bader Ginsberg and her wonderful collars! Also doing a cowl as well.

OK, off to the lake! Stay well!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34128 on: October 16, 2020, 11:49:32 pm »
    I got my first hair cut since early February Friday evening. I looked at the salon's online site late Thursday night and was able to book a 7:30pm appointment (latest I've done). They called this morning to say there were some cancellations and could I come in at 2:15. I had gone to bed at 7am, so I said no, but they had a 6:30pm, which I took. It's a rainy day, hence the cancellations. The stylist told me that the client uses a walker and doesn't iike to use it in the rain.

I kept putting off the hair cut, but it is always easier to shampoo and condition in the shower after one. I've been taking so long to do it all with my left hand. She cut 3 inches off.

The weather should be nicer today. Planning to do more walking, at least 3 miles. Today I did about  a half a mile for the salon visit. My iphone app won't tell me the correct distance now. It also dips in power from 100% to 10% as soon as I unplug from charging. I might as well not even take it with me when I go out. I ordered a Fit Bit Versa 2 watch on prime day.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34129 on: October 17, 2020, 05:47:29 am »
    Good morning. Milder weather today. 52 now going to 60 by noon before dropping into 20s with wind and "precipitation" overnight.

Let me say, a side of beef and small pork bundle may have been an overreaction to shortages/hoarding. Holy Cow (pun intended), our 2 small chest freezers, our and MIL's fridge freezers are packed and DS is swinging by today to take an insulated bagful of beef home. There were 126 one-pound chubs just of hamburger!!  :o  It all worked out to only $2.86/lb, so that's a wonderful bargain with all the roasts, t-bones, ribeyes, etc. now awaiting our eating pleasure. Still, it's an awful lot of meat ... We'll keep sharing with son's family as they have room.

Spotsmom, I think seeing/hearing the loons would be amazing! I'm sure LL will be happy for you.  :D

Stay safe, be well, and be good to yourselves and others.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34130 on: October 17, 2020, 07:40:10 am »
    Good morning.

Sure hope you were able to see and hear the loons, spotsmom. Watching and listening to them was one of the enjoyments of our vacations in Minnesota.

Chilly here at 40 degrees this morning, but the next few mornings won't be that cool and highs will be in the 70s for the next few days.

II working 3-11 today. I have lots of things to do that will keep me busy.

Hope you enjoy your Saturday. Stay safe.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34131 on: October 17, 2020, 10:27:23 am »
    There were 3 goldfinches at my thistle feeder this morning! I had to just sit down and watch them. I adore them. Probably on their way somewhere warmer.

The loons were still at the lake and I was able to zoom in on them. They are in their non-breeding plumage now, but I was able to see a faint trace of one's "necklace". They were very silent. But last Monday they did let out a couple of spine tingling loon noises. Still quite the treat.

Crebel, I wish I was nearby and could score some bones for my dog. That's a LOT of meat you have there!

I am off to visit my small knitting group today and then baseball this afternoon. If the World Series is the Braves vs the Astros, you can count me out!

Stay safe and be happy!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34132 on: October 18, 2020, 03:08:25 am »
    Good morning.

It was in high 40s overnight and at 7 Saturday morning. No heat inside yet. I do not like that I have to call the super every year and every time we don't have heat. There are 20 apartments in the building. This happens every year the first time it gets cold. It has been 67 inside and it goes up a degree from the steam of my shower. I think it got up to almost 70 on Saturday afternoon and back to 54 by the time I took a walk at 8pm.

I took out Thai food for dinner and it wasn't what I was expecting. Chicken basil should be sliced chicken, but it was ground meat. Won Dee Siam on 9th and 53rd. My fave place closed when the pandemic started. I had spring rolls too. It came with 3. I think 4 was the standard serving. There is a new Thai place two doors from Won Dee Siam. Might try that next time I want Thai food.

Crebel, you get quite the weather if it went to 20s.

Take care, everyone. Be well.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34133 on: October 18, 2020, 05:30:25 am »
    Good morning. It only got down to 31, and it is snowing, but not sticking at 34 degrees now, hopefully rising to 45 by noon.

mlewis, I sure thought I mentioned your haircut yesterday, but I keep touching something in my left-hand one-finger typing now that jumps my cursor and deletes stuff. I am getting used to my much shorter hair and like it better than I did. You're so right about how much easier it is to take care of during our one-handedness.  I'm sure you miss your flute, too. I can't do anything on my piano yet.

Everyone stay safe, be well.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34134 on: October 18, 2020, 05:49:53 am »
    Good morning.

Enough rain overnight to wet the pavement and leave a few drops on the cars. Supposed to be cloudy and 78 today with rain moving in overnight.

I have the feeling I'll be pulling for the Rays (although it has been a few years since I followed an AL team) as I don't have a lot of confidence the Braves will win today. Was glad to see the Astros lose. Been thinking about how team loyalties sometimes change as we go through life, but one consistent dislike for me has been the Dodgers. All because of a rivalry with cousins who moved to southern California about the same time we moved to Reno. At that time at least, Reno followed the Giants. Even though we now live in Cardinal country, we became Braves fans when we could watch most of their games on TBS. The fact that our newspaper's sports editor does not like baseball also made it hard for us to get much more baseball news than the scores before the internet.

Nothing in the plans today except some laundry.

Hope you have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34135 on: October 19, 2020, 05:59:38 am »
    Good morning.

Warm this morning and heading to around 79 with thunderstorms likely this afternoon.

II has a doctor's appointment this morning and then works 3-11. Haven't decided what I'll get done while he is at work.

Looks like sports are off my agenda until spring training. Oh well, there is always next year. We no longer follow any sports but baseball, and since I'm not doing any socializing right now, I don't even have to pretend I know if the Razorbacks won or not.

Hope your week is off to a good start. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34136 on: October 19, 2020, 06:57:03 am »
    Good morning.  Overcast, foggy, and 74 here this morning.  Forecast calls for about a 10-degree increase for the day.  I am at the office doing some last-minute testing before the meeting tomorrow.  But I hope to head home around noon and finish up from there if things are going well.
    We had a friend help us with the dishwasher and got a part ordered on Saturday.  If $14 buys me a little time, that works for me.  We just have to see if we are able to get the inside cleaned out really well.  So far I am not having any ill effects from washing dishes by hand :)

Have a great week.  Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34137 on: October 19, 2020, 08:07:00 am »
    Good morning. We won't make it out of cloudy 30s today with some probable more snow/rain mix, but nothing significant.

I have found an old coat that my splint will fit through the arm for Dr visit in just a bit. We made a quick trip to the grocery store yesterday afternoon and got our flu shots at the pharmacy while there. There were disinfectant wipes in stock (limit 1)! The things that excite me these days ...  ::)

Stay safe, be well.

Online Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34138 on: October 19, 2020, 07:51:20 pm »
    Good evening from southern Arizona. This morning, when I was in central Arizona, I had my annual physical exam. Everything was ordinary and mostly normal (cholesterol slightly elevated, exercise more, lose weight put on during this crazy year). My doctor said, "Boring annual physical exams are the best kind!" I agreed.

Over the weekend, my daughter and I worked on her home improvement project and cut fabric for out next sew-along project. Much progress was made. ;)

May your days be filled with wonder. Stay safe and well. Sending healing energy to all who need it. Be excellent to each other.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34139 on: October 20, 2020, 05:07:10 am »
    Good morning. How wonderful to have a boring physical, Anna!

Did you hear the crazy Iowa weather on the national news yesterday?? We just had a little rain with some snow mixed in down here, but 90 miles north where my mother and sisters live they had an unexpected snow "squall" and got 7-9" in a couple of hours! Earliest measurable snowfall since they've been keeping records. I know I posted last year about the kids trick-or-treating in the snow with a couple of inches and I thought that was nuts. This is a whole other level of  :o

After Dr visit yesterday stitches (not staples like I thought) are out and a cast is on. The amount of repeated compressions to mold the cast in the position they want my arm for the next month was not fun and will remain pretty owie for the next few days. Fingers, thumb, and part of my palm are free, but the arm is locked in a karate chop position to prevent being able to rotate my wrist so the bones won't slide over each other. So continued zero use of this arm for another month except squeezing a soft stress ball. I have a feeling rehab will be a longer slog than I was hoping for. Ah well, one day at a time.

I will be watching the World Series because it's baseball, but I have no team preference this year.

Stay safe, be well, be kind to yourself and others.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34140 on: October 20, 2020, 06:02:32 am »
    Good morning.

Boring physicals are the way to go. I suppose I should schedule one, but haven't really felt the need this year.

Crebel, sounds like progress for the wrist, but the position sounds tiresome as well as painful for a bit, at least.

Dental checkups on our schedule for today. II's scheduled one in May was postponed and I postponed mine from July. At least, now we'll be back on going at the same time again. After the dentist, we'll be stopping at CVS to see if the steroid prescription for II's tennis elbow is ready. I got the notification that one the doctor sent over for me was ready yesterday, but no notification for his. We also are to buy one of the bands for him to wear. By then, we'll be ready to get some lunch somewhere.

Hope you find some beauty in the day. Stay safe.

Online Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34141 on: October 20, 2020, 07:29:35 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently 48F and headed to a sunny 92F.

Today my plan is to return all the fabric in the containers that I took with me to my daughter's house back to where it belongs in my craft room. I will cut out and start sewing some requested masks with the Disney fabric that I have. DH and I will both be going to our daughter's house for this weekend. He will be working on the dog gates while I have a Saturday appointment for a mammogram and a bone density scan.

The most important normal and boring part of my physical exam yesterday was, along with normal pulses in both ankles and my doctor very happy with all she heard through her stethoscope listening to my heart and carotid artery, a completely normal EKG showing no sign of the atrial fibrillation that was the cause of me passing out and falling back in July. In addition, my T wave is still normal and not inverted or reversed. My T wave had been reversed for many years before 2015 when the results of taking up running and the loss of weight had possibly corrected it. This means that I can return to donating blood to the Red Cross in January (6 months after my previous AFIB incident). :D I also need to schedule a colonoscopy exam. I am not looking forward to the prep for that.  :o

I hope that your day is wonderful. Be safe and be excellent to each other.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34142 on: October 20, 2020, 11:53:25 pm »
    Boring exam results are good. Considering that I gained 20 pounds since March, mine were quite good on Sept. 2nd. I was afraid that my blood sugar would be high, but it was normal. It has not been high yet.

When I visited the hand doctor last week, he told me that my fracture is seen almost exclusively in people with osteoporosis. I do have osteoporosis in the arm, but have fallen before without fractures. From what I read online, a distal radius fracture is very common (that is what mine is). the doctor suggested that I work with my GYN about bone density. I explained to him that I'd taken Evista 6 months, which led to a pulmonary embolism. I don't want to trade the osteo problem for possibly fatal other ones. He thought that maybe in 10 years I'll fall and fracture my hip. (So far i don't have osteoporosis in hip or spine). One of the heavy-duty treatments for bone density is Prolia, which has a list of awful possible side effects.

Crebel, I hope you are doing well. I am also concerned with how long the therapy will be. I think my doctor said about two months. I am determined to get back to the flute when it's OK.

I had an appointment at the Apple store on 5th Avenue Tuesday night. I was leaning towards just getting a new battery, but I bought a new SE phone. The diagnostics showed a bad battery and phone being too full. I bought a phone with 128 GB instead of 64. This Apple store is open 24/7. I used to go to this one after work at 1am to look at stuff when I worked in that building (until 2009). The Lincoln Center location is closer to me but closes at 9 and didn't have any appointments available at genius bar until next Monday.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34143 on: October 21, 2020, 05:54:50 am »
    Good morning.

Foggy this morning and heading to a high of around 85 again.

mlewis, I agree with worrying about the side effects from the osteoporosis medications. I quit taking them also as I viewed the alternative better than dealing with the drugs.

My dental exam was routine, but II will be getting another crown. Appointments scheduled for next month to take care of that.

Haircuts today. Somehow we seem to schedule multiple appointments in a week, then have nothing for a span of time. Oh well, looks like lunch out again today. Always agreeable to that. Also have a Walmart pickup scheduled for after the haircuts. And, another stop at CVS as one of II's prescriptions wasn't ready yesterday. At least errands get us out of the house some.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34144 on: October 21, 2020, 07:24:09 am »
    Good morning.  It's 70 and overcast here this morning.  I am sitting on hold trying to determine if I actually have a mammogram appointment this morning.   I've been on hold forever it seems.
    Oh well, I guess I am taking off early either way.
    I have gotten into a funk so don't be surprised if I am out of pocket for a bit.
    Take care and stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34145 on: October 22, 2020, 05:39:01 am »
    Good morning.

Another warm day expected with cloudy skies. I really think I might be ready for some cooler temps. Maybe that would also calm the seasonal allergies down a bit.

Errands accomplished yesterday, and then I was lazy after we got home.

II works 11-7 tonight. Otherwise, no particular plans. 

Andra, hope things get better. This year has not lent itself to allowing us to stay upbeat in too many ways.

Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34146 on: October 22, 2020, 07:32:39 am »
    Morning. Storms all night, in 50s this morning going to 70s which has created very dense fog. More storms tonight as cold front rushes in. Gloomy weather is not conducive to keeping a positive attitude along with everything else. Hang in there, Andra.

I hope the fog lifts enough later for MIL to take me to early vote. The auditors office has said they can help accommodate my current inability to write. Also hoping to see grandson's final football game if not cancelled for storms.

Stay well, be safe, U.S. citizens VOTE!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34147 on: October 22, 2020, 11:24:41 pm »
    We had gloomy weather Thursday too. No rain though, as far as I could tell. More of the same weather Friday. It feels warm because of high humidity. 64 now going to 67 later today.  I thought it was 3:15 when I got up but it was an hour earlier. I didn't realize until later when it was only 3:00. Friday afternoon I have an appointment to see the hand doctor.

When I went out to do a short run to CVS tonight, I saw the cat that lives across the street on the ground floor in her window. I had not seen her there for a long time. Here's a link to her. Not in good focus, but when I spread the iphone screen (even though I touched on the center to focus), this happens. I didn't notice the pumpkin and orange cup until after I posted to facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224532460004992&set=a.1070980780747

New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34148 on: October 23, 2020, 06:55:57 am »
    Good morning.

Rainy here with a forecast of close to 3/4 inches. It is raining hard enough right now to think that is underestimating the amount.

Crebel, hope you were able to vote yesterday. We were able to vote absentee. Requested our ballots the first week we could do so and they were sent to us in one of the first batches mailed out by the county clerk. We mailed them back at the Post Office in the county seat and tracking showed they had been accepted 3 business days later. Easy from our view point, but know it doesn't work that way in all states.

Nothing on our agenda for today. I imagine II will sleep a while this morning. He doesn't work again until Sunday.

Hope you are looking forward to doing something slightly different for the weekend. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34149 on: October 23, 2020, 08:25:53 am »
    Good morning. Yesterday turned into a beautiful weather day here reaching a high of 80. We were able to attend the football game in shirtsleeves and rain and falling temperatures didn't start until after we got home. Today we won't make it out of the 30s and snow is expected Saturday and Sunday. Just crazy swings from day to day.

Thanks, LL, I was able to vote yesterday! Workers at the auditor's office were so kind and helpful filling out forms for me and I could initial with a left-hand scrawl. They even filled out forms to verify my MIL to fill in my ballot at my direction. It was awesome and we were in and out in less than 20 minutes with no worries about it being counted now. YAY!!

Those events did mean 2 outings in one day for me, I was really tired and ended up taking pain meds last night for the first time in a week. That's what being an injured, 9-month recluse will do for you.  :D ::)

Stay safe, be well, and VOTE if you are a U.S. citizen.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement