Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1530350 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • DH and me
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #34175 on: November 01, 2020, 06:30:58 am »
Good morning from southern Arizona. Yesterday, for Halloween,  I wore my mask made with fabric printed with candy corn images and my Legend of Zelda shirt with the chicken-like bird standing on Link's skull. ;D

Today will be the fourth day in a row sewing sofa cushion covers at my sister's house. So far, the three covers for the bottom cushions for the sofa are complete. The  material for the matching seat cushions for the chairs are cut and ready to sew. The material for all 5 back cushions, 3 for the sofa and 2 for the chairs is cut and one of those is mostly sewn (one for the sofa). After we finish those, all that will remain is the cover for the foot rest cushion and two throw pillow covers.  We are guessing another week of sewing. So far, my sister and I have each broken one heavy duty sewing machine needle. The material is too heavy for my sister's electronic machine to sew more than two layers so most of the sewing is being done on my heavy duty mechanical machine. We have poked ourselves several times with pins. We are mostly using binder clips but need pins for placing the Velcro closures. We are having fun spending time together, usually at opposite ends of a well ventilated room. When we are both sewing at the same time, the sewing machines are 6 feet apart.

In addition to sewing today, we will meet my DH at Home Depot to buy wood, paint, and other supplies to build a loft bed for my sister's grandson. (He is returning from our daughter'shousewhere he was helping with her remodeling project.) I will probably stay home Monday through Wednesday helping DH build the loft bed. I will be mostly sanding and painting.  I can sew while paint is drying.

I hope your day is wonderful. Be excellent to each other.  Stay safe and well.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34176 on: November 01, 2020, 01:14:06 pm »
    Good "early afternoon" here from Oregon where I'm anxiously awaiting the start of the Seattle Seahawks game! Cold nights and warm days here; just perfect fall weather. We're enjoying it while we can!

I echo Annalog urging you to vote if you haven't. I have DH's ballot to put in the box tomorrow but I voted last week. I think I'd like to visit a place with no contact for the next few days...

Stay well!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34177 on: November 02, 2020, 03:16:13 am »
    A quick hello! Cold inside. 66 now. I had to text the super Sunday at noon about the total lack of heat. It was 52 outside. He did something, but it went off for a few hours and came back in the evening. Other winters it has started up very early in the AM, but now at 6:12 there is nothing. Super lives in the building next door.

Day before election!!!! Hope you have voted or are planning to vote. Our early voting ended Sunday. It was very rainy and I heard that the lines were short at Madison Square Garden. Not sure about the other 87 places in the 5 boroughs of NYC.

I didn't leave the apartment Sunday. I did use the exercise bike for 30 minutes.

Happy and safe Monday, everyone!
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34178 on: November 02, 2020, 05:38:30 am »
    Good morning.

We put the down comforter on the bed yesterday. Good timing as it got down to 32 this morning. A high of 61 is expected.

Seemed like about all I did yesterday was cook and do dishes. We had banana pancakes for breakfast and I made chicken spaghetti for dinner. I now have a couple of more things to pull out of the freezer in the future.

Pickup at Kroger today. My plan is this will be the only one this month. Still trying to get more accurate with purchases on more of a monthly schedule. I'm sure there will be a pickup from Walmart at some point.

I realized when we went to pick up supper Saturday that I had not been anywhere since Monday. Going to try to get out a little more, even if it is only a short drive with no particular destination in mind. Even after all these months, I'm still not totally used to not having some place I need to go multiple days a week.

Hope your week is off to a good start. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34179 on: November 02, 2020, 06:13:59 am »
    Good morning. Mild weather in thev50s/60s expected for the week here which will be pleasant.

We managed to decorate a stand of small walnut trees in our front yard for Halloween, including hanging bags of candy on the low branches among the motion-activated witches and ghosts (both light and sound). Since it was fairly windy, the flashing eyes, cackling and screeching were already happening as the 2 grandkids arrived. I think they had fun as we watched and took pictures from the walkway. It was great to see them and their parents from afar for about 15 minutes.

On Sunday we got MIL to the airport and she is safely returned to her winter abode. She plans to come home again on her regular schedule next April. After dropping her off, we went to my mother's and spent another masked and distanced 15 minutes with her, my sister, and sister-in-law. It was wonderful to see them even for a short time! First time since last Christmas. We also got to meet sister's new chihuahua/terrier mix puppy, "Baby". She's a dinky cutie patootie.

All-in-all, a great ending to last month and start of this month for me. Now back to hiding in my house and trying to regain some finger movement in the broken arm.

Stay safe, be well. VOTE!!!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34180 on: November 02, 2020, 08:33:24 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. For those registered to vote in the U.S. and haven't yet voted, VOTE.

DH was at our daughter's house to help with pantry door remodeling. All that is left is mounting the sliding faux barn door but that won't happen until weekend after next. However, she can move the food back into the pantry from tables set up in the living room. They moved all the work tools and stuff out of the kitchen and into the garage where it belonged. As that was Halloween evening, they kept the garage door open in order to watch the few kids Trick-or-treating and be sure that the bowl of prepackaged treats on a table set up at the sidewalk was not empty. Shortly before 8 PM, DH saw a fairly big group appear around the corner. He called to our daughter for more candy. There weren't any more prepackaged bags so he dumped all the rest of the candy not yet bagged into the bowl, yelled at the distant group to take a handful each, and headed back into the garage. With about 10 pieces of candy left at 8 PM, he brought in the table and bowl, closed the garage door, and turned off the outside lights. As usual, there were no Trick-or-treaters at our house.

Yesterday my sister and I got to a point where she could do the finishing details on a couple cushion covers, and I could do the heavy-duty sewing on four cushion covers that she had done the lighter sewing on. I brought my sewing machine and those covers home to work on between helping DH building the loft bed.

On my way home from Tucson yesterday, I stopped to eat a late lunch. While eating parked in a parking lot near a road that went from an I-10 off ramp to an I-10 on ramp, I saw part of a Trump caravan go past three times.

I will be staying close to home for the next few days. If I drive to Tucson it will only be to exchange cushions, covers, and material with my sister.

Stay safe and well. I hope your day is wonderful. Be excellent to each other.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34181 on: November 02, 2020, 09:23:30 pm »
    An election eve report from here in Oregon. I plan to take the dog and get out of the house most of the day tomorrow while DH watches non-stop election stuff on tv. Fortunately, our weather has been really nice during the day- mid  to upper 60's- so I might get some afternoon deck time knitting on the Vest From Hell (a long story).

I'm hoping for quiet here in Central Oregon the next few days but there seem to be a lot of crazies out there. Glad I'm not in Portland, regardless of what happens!

Stay safe, warm, and VOTE (if you haven't already)!!

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34182 on: November 03, 2020, 05:22:41 am »
    Good morning.

36 degrees here and heading to 70.

II works 11-7 tonight so he is sleeping in. I'm headed to Fresh Market shortly.

The Kroger pickup yesterday was not enjoyable. 2 hours and 20 minutes after my schedule pickup time we were finally headed home with our groceries. No call made to tell me they were running behind; different stories of how long before our order was ready each time I called. We finally got them after the guy bringing orders out stopped to see what our time slot was as he had noticed we had been sitting there for a long time. He was able to find the order almost immediately. By the time we got home and put the groceries away, we weren't interested in doing much else. I'm not sure our society could go to grocery pickup only as I have seen suggested a few times. At least I'm now stocked up on most of the items I prefer to buy at Kroger. And, I know, I'm still luckier than a lot of people in this world.

Please vote if you haven't already.

Try to find some way to de-stress the day. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34183 on: November 03, 2020, 06:22:31 am »
    Good morning.

Spotsmom, like your DH, I too will be watching election coverage non-stop today and on into tomorrow!

Everyone stay safe and be well. U.S. citizens, like LL said, if you haven't already ...

VOTE

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34184 on: November 03, 2020, 10:52:56 am »
    Good morning (somewhere).

I am at the office today working on final setup for the Commission Meeting next week.  Traffic was pretty light this morning, but I had to detour by Shipley's Do-nuts.  I needed a bribe for one of the desktop guys to stop what he was doing and fix a stupid problem with my computer.  He fixed it so it was definitely worth the extra stop.

I am trying not to watch voting coverage yet.  I doubt we will know anything for sure today - maybe not even this week.

Stay safe everybody.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34185 on: November 04, 2020, 06:45:21 am »
    Morning. That's all the greeting I can muster right now.

We'll have a lovely day in the 70s with sunny skies. I plan on spending part of the afternoon mowing and mulching leaves. I noticed yesterday when I was out that a lot of the trees are really late changing colors. Probably means they won't be very showy.

Find something blessed about the day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34186 on: November 04, 2020, 10:42:58 am »
    morning

I started the day at the dealership with the car.  After I got home yesterday I had to go back in the garage to put masks in the car.  The garage stank of gasoline and my car is the only thing in there that runs on gas.  So oops.  It's not a leak in the traditional sense because there is nothing under the car.  And if you look underneath when it's running there are no drips.  But something is not right.  I'm just hoping that it's a small something instead of a huge something.  sigh
    At least DH is working from home and I can use the truck for a few days until we figure out what to do with the car.

I didn't think the election would be this close - I really thought it would be different...

Hang in there.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34187 on: November 04, 2020, 12:05:06 pm »
    Early afternoon in Southern Arizona. A sunny 84F headed to 86F with 52F predicted for tonight. Frost by the weekend.

I spent yesterday filling dents and irregularities in the lumber and plywood followed by time in the craft room. Today I am sanding that same wood followed by painting it. If I am lucky, I will get to spend some time in the craft room.

I have been and will periodically checking the news. I was happy to see that Arizona went blue. I have friends in Nebraska who are happy that at least the district with Omaha went blue. I am not happy with how close this is.

Be safe. Be hopeful. Be kind. Be excellent to each other.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34188 on: November 05, 2020, 01:59:07 am »
    On election night I turned off the election coverage at 1am (Eastern) because I knew they weren't going to finish counting the votes. Watched some of it Wednesday evening. Took a walk to buy wine, a few things at Amish Market (tomatoes, potatoes and more tortilla chips to go with guacamole I'd bought at Target the night before). Went to CVS on 8th & 57th to pickup a prescription. It was a little strange there. They have all their frozen foods behind locked freezer doors and I just noticed the same for their cleaning products. i do not think this had anything to do with all the boarding up of stores around the country (and here), but I suppose they've had some shoplifting problems. There was almost no one on the 2nd floor where the pharmacy area is. It was only 8:15 PM.

9th Avenue was more alive and there is still some outdoor dining going on. It was warmer that night (57 compared with 40 in the days before).

Since it was in the 50s and got up to 60 Wednesday, there was no heat. It has been cold in here. 66-69 inside. I was not cold outside when it was 57 and just wore long sleeves and a down vest.  I think wearing a mask has kept me warmer.

52 now, might go up to 66. Friday I go back to the hand/wrist doctor. I see a forecast of weather going up to 70 on Friday.

Have a good day and stay safe.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34189 on: November 05, 2020, 04:56:39 am »
    Good morning.

Trying to be a little more upbeat today, but it is probably a good thing I am not working and having to wonder how people voted the way they did. With Covid-19 cases continuing to rise at a rapid rate, my brain just doesn't comprehend.

Mowed the back yard yesterday. It looked good for a short time; I'm sure a lot of the leaf cover is back this morning. Now to get the front yard done today. While I was doing that, II was cutting down our dogwood. Enough of it had died that it had become rather ugly looking. Haven't decided if we'll replace it or not.

On a more somber note, II learned last night his brother-in-law had a stroke Tuesday. They still don't have his blood pressure completely under control. When he is able to leave the hospital, he'll be in rehab for quite some time. II's sister has lots of health problems so really tough times for their family. At least their kids live close by.

I wish each of you a good day. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34190 on: November 05, 2020, 06:47:05 am »
    Good morning.

Trying to be a little more upbeat today, but it is probably a good thing I am not working and having to wonder how people voted the way they did. With Covid-19 cases continuing to rise at a rapid rate, my brain just doesn't comprehend.

Mowed the back yard yesterday. It looked good for a short time; I'm sure a lot of the leaf cover is back this morning. Now to get the front yard done today. While I was doing that, II was cutting down our dogwood. Enough of it had died that it had become rather ugly looking. Haven't decided if we'll replace it or not.

On a more somber note, II learned last night his brother-in-law had a stroke Tuesday. They still don't have his blood pressure completely under control. When he is able to leave the hospital, he'll be in rehab for quite some time. II's sister has lots of health problems so really tough times for their family. At least their kids live close by.

I wish each of you a good day. Stay safe.

Morning. Sending healing thoughts for II's sister and BIL.

I am in 100% agreement/empathy with your first paragraph. Covid-19 is exploding in our little neck of the woods and most people seem indifferent. Our entire county only has a population of 35,000 and only 7,000 votes were cast. The lack of awareness and personal responsibility is horrifying to me.

Hang in there everyone.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34191 on: November 05, 2020, 07:32:37 am »
    Good morning.
    I have no words.  This situation is surreal.

Sending happy thoughts and healing energy to II and family.

They are starting to talk about bringing more folks back to the office in the next months.  Um - hello?  Cases are spiking and you want MORE people in enclosed spaces...  Not sure that one was thought all the way through.  I think as long as you are able to work remotely and get your job done, you should do it for a while longer.  I know I have to go in more frequently than some folks, but on any given day I see fewer than 20 people in a building that houses 500-600 during normal times.

Stay safe!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34192 on: November 05, 2020, 11:37:50 am »
    Good afternoon from southern Arizona.

Sending healing thoughts and energy to II's sister and brother-in-law.   Sending LL, II, and family hugs and energy.

I didn't get to painting yesterday. This morning was hand sanding and filling some missed holes. After lunch I will finish sanding the spots I filled and start painting.  Hopefully I won't fall asleep after lunch as I did yesterday.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:31:29 am by Annalog »

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34193 on: November 06, 2020, 05:37:24 am »
    Good morning.

Thanks for the words of concern. The siblings don't communicate on a regular basis so don't know how often we will get updates. 

It appears we should have another good day weather wise.

II working 3-11 today and tomorrow. I don't think he has ever worked that shift 2 days in a row. Would have worked 3 this time if it weren't for a guy who only works that shift on Sundays. Two of the other regulars wanted off this weekend. One to celebrate his 50th wedding anniversary and the other to go celebrate Thanksgiving with family in Oklahoma. We can only hope that social distancing is practiced.

It's Friday - do something positive for yourself. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34194 on: November 06, 2020, 09:37:52 am »
    Happy Friday!
    I am in a good mood today for some reason.  I'm not sure why, but I'll take it!  It's very draining to be down all the time.

We are hoping to pick up the car this afternoon.  So far they can't find anything wrong...  But if I get it home and smell gasoline again that will be a BAD thing.

Stay safe!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34195 on: November 06, 2020, 11:40:07 am »
    Good early afternoon from southern Arizona.  I woke up in the middle of the night sneezing with lots of sinus drainage. It  took a while to clear enough to return to sleep. I expect it was due to standing directly in front of the output of an evaporative cooler that was blowing the sawdust out two open windows in the workshop/shed. The problem was gone this morning so I expect it was completely due to my allergies.

Today is painting without the cooler blowing on me, followed by sewing and packing for staying at my sister's house in Tucson Saturday for the race early Sunday morning.

Hope your day is wonderful. Be safe. Be excellent to each other.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34196 on: November 07, 2020, 05:37:15 am »
    Good morning.

48 degrees and heading to a high of 77 with some clouds in the mix.

I rearranged some kitchen cabinets yesterday. Hoping it will be a more efficient use of space with easier access to a couple of things. If it doesn't work, it won't be hard to put it back like it was. I'll find something else to work on today while II is at work.

Make it a good day. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34197 on: November 08, 2020, 05:54:13 am »
    Wishing all the best for Loonlover's family.

Learned last Monday (hope I'm not repeating) that a high school classmate died of Covid. She lived in Flint, Michigan and had lived in Brooklyn for 30 years. Heard that she got it early in October. Her 69th birthday was on the 19th of October. There was a memorial on Zoom Saturday afternoon. I joined the facebook group about it but missed it (was asleep).

Woke up Saturday at 11:18 (per FitBit) to the sounds of cheers out back (and all over Manhattan, I learned). I got up to check it out and turn on the TV for news and went back to bed at 1pm. I had gone to bed at 9am, so I needed that sleep.

Friday afternoon I visited the hand doctor. He told me to go without the splint as much as I can and to be done with it in two weeks. Since i got home Friday, I've left it off and even went out to get a few groceries Saturday night without it. Doctor suggested I use it for subway or other situations where I might get shoved. I took the subway to the doctor and once again it was sparsely populated. I walked home. My hand and wrist hurt Friday evening. It was a little scary. I am occasionally using a cold pack or heating pad. It was much better on Saturday.

They gave me a list of hand therapists, so I will make calls on Monday to schedule appointments, It will be up to 8 weeks, 2-3 times a week. When I reminded the doc that I play flute, he said that would be good therapy for my wrist. I did pick the flute up tonight for 5 minutes and noodled around a bit. It was better than I expected, but the low notes where the pinky reaches down on the foot joint for D flat, C and B hurt. It's too much of a stretch for now. I will discuss with the therapist after I meet them.

Nice and sunny today, 61 and going up to 77 maybe. Or 75. Hope you all enjoy Sunday and stay well.
    New York, NY

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34198 on: November 08, 2020, 06:00:02 am »
    Good morning. 63 and a little damp here to start the day.
    We picked the car up yesterday. I got it in the garage and had the same problem. My master mechanic brother thinks the problem may be with the injectors, so he had me put Techron in the gas rank and drive it for a few hours to see if it would help. While it was amusing to floor it regularly, I still had gasoline smell in garage. So it is on driveway and we are trying to decide whether I take it back to the shop here or take it to my brother in Corpus. I slept on it but still don't have a decision.

Fun times.
    Take care and stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34199 on: November 08, 2020, 07:17:53 am »
    Good morning.

Foggy here and will be mostly cloudy here with an expected high of 75.

Andra, hope you figure out the car issues. They can be so frustrating.

We're planning on going for a drive at some point today. I didn't follow through with getting out more very well this week so need to make up for it. Bread making also needs to happen.

Have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement