Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1529724 times)  

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #34200 on: November 09, 2020, 06:14:48 am »
Good morning.

A little gloomy outside with temps in the 60s. Cloudy skies and a high of 77 forecast for the day.

II has a dental appointment this morning. That may be the extent of our doings today.

The fall colors are finally here. A lot of trees had turned since I was out early last week and they are prettier than I was expecting. Thought it was going to be a so-so year for a while. We'll try to head a different direction in a couple of days for more leaf watching.

Hope your week is off to a good start. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34201 on: November 09, 2020, 08:59:28 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

Yesterday morning the weather was perfect for the Everyone Runs  TMC Veterans Day Half Marathon and Fleet Feet 5K. I hadn't done any training recently so I was not surprised that I was last in the 5K race. The half marathon runners started about half an hour before the 5K runners. Two half marathon runners finished their 13.1 miles before I finished my 3.1 miles. As I was approaching the finish line, trying to decide where I could start running to cross the finish line without having to walk, I heard the announcement that the third half marathon runner was approaching. I looked back and saw him gaining quickly. I started running immediately, about 20 yards earlier than my plan. I ran all out, crossed the finish line and kept running to clear the area and stopped over to the side. I had enough time to turn and see him cross the finish line. He kept going and stopped about 20 yards past where I was. We were both wearing masks and catching our breaths. After a bit, I was recovered enough to check that no one else was approaching so that I could walk across to the table with water bottles, take one, and then go to the table to pick up my finisher T-shirt. I was happy to see that this year's shirt is short sleeved.  :D I drove to my sister's house so we could finish sewing more sofa cushion covers. I watched the Facebook Live awards announcement and learned that I was first (and only) in my gender/age category!  I drove to Fleet Feet  to pick up my First Place award banner and then drove home. All race photos My photo

Today I will be working around the house and catching up on laundry,  etc.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other.
    « Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 06:18:32 pm by Annalog »

Online Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34202 on: November 09, 2020, 09:26:03 am »
    Good morning from SW Washington State. Fall is in full progress here. Last night we had our first hard frost, proven by all the white roofs. Our yard is covered with yellow/gold/leaves. We were completely raked last Thursday, but you could not tell it today. Our raking on this Thursday should be the end. We have huge maple trees that just keep on dropping leaves. We have a service that blows them, then scoops them up, all in about 10 minutes. It would take us hours, then we would have to figure out how to dispose of them.

We have been discussing our Thanksgiving dinner, usually shared with 3 sons and their families. In a normal year we share in the preparations, but that won't happen this year, as we will not be gathering as a group. However, it would be too sad to miss out on the foods we love. I have the turkey and mashed potatoes covered for the two of us, and will be filling other sides from a local restaurant. We will FaceTime and zoom with family members throughout the day.

Anna, it is not when you finish a race, but that you finish at all. Congratulations on your finish. I envy your determination.

Be excellent to one another.

Jane
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34203 on: November 09, 2020, 06:35:34 pm »
    Thanks, Jane. I am glad that my knee lets me run at all!

Anna

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34204 on: November 09, 2020, 09:37:54 pm »
    Congratulations on your race, Anna.

I wish I had the knees to run (I did run from age 26-46 until my knees promised me I might not walk one day).

I start hand therapy on Wednesday. I made several calls Monday to get an appointment. I have a list from the doctor and got one via email from Humana to see if there were any matches. I called one place on the doctor's list that some in my neighborhood NextDoor network recommended, but they didn't take it. Humana told me I can go out of network but that the co-pay would be $10 more. That would be OK, but when they turn me down at these places, I can't even get an appointment. The one I got said they have to check and I should call Wednesday morning. I called Humana again to check and they had the name of the chain covered, but they didn't have a record of that address. I had called the Columbus Circle one first (from Humana list) and that one doesn't have a hand therapist, but they referred me to the one on West 52nd Street.

I took a walk Sunday in Riverside Park South. I left my apartment just before sunset, so by the time I got there it was dark. I walked quickly and came out at 68th Street. The sky still had pink in it when I got there. Today I walked in Central Park. Enjoyed the leaf colors and took a lot of pictures.

It was still warm/sunny on Sunday and Monday. In the 70s during the afternoon. 63 now. Will go up to 72 over the next two days and then in the 60s on Thursday. Rain for Wednesday.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34205 on: November 10, 2020, 04:30:11 am »
    Good morning and Happy 245th to all Marines. Semper Fi.

Stay safe, be well everyone.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34206 on: November 10, 2020, 05:35:06 am »
    Good morning.

We'll be warm again today with a possibility of showers early this evening.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34207 on: November 10, 2020, 11:55:57 pm »
    It was another warm day on Tuesday, so I took a walk to Riverside Park South. I'd heard there was a new section of it open. I went in at a new entrance at 65th St. It was quite nice, lots of places to sit, the trees had a lot of fall color. They have two small dog runs. One is for small dogs. There were a lot of kids with their parents, but they suddenly disappeared at 5:30. There are two new staircases that go down to the river level. The bike path is on that level.

The PT place called me while I was getting ready to go out, so my walk was delayed. They kept saying the co-pay is $50. We were talking in circles, as I kept telling them it's $40 and that Humana told me that the day before. Turns out they are out of network, so the co-pay is $50. Humana had sent me their PT list without consideration that I am on their Medicare Advantage plan. The PT place takes Humana, but not the plan I am on.

It is 61, going up to 72, with a 90% chance of rain.

Have a good day and stay safe.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34208 on: November 11, 2020, 06:56:48 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently 34F and headed to a sunny high of 72F. There was frost on the cars when we were packing the truck for another trip to northeastern Arizona  where it us currently 23F headed to a sunny 50F where we will spend a couple hours locating and uncovering the lid to the septic tank in preparation for inspection and pumping prior to sale of the property. I will be glad when we don't need to visit that property again!

Mlewis, hope your PT arrangement efforts work out. Thank you for the congratulations. 

I usually only run in 15 to 30 second increments. Sunday I ran for probably just over a minute over the span of an hour with most of that during the last 60 seconds. I am very careful to do my best for my knees so that I can keep hiking and walking in races for as long as possible. I put fresh  KT tape on my knee before the race to help keep my kneecap stable.

Stay safe, everyone. Hope your day is wonderful. Be excellent to each other.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34209 on: November 11, 2020, 07:15:30 am »
    Good morning.

We're at 49 with an expected high of 65 and sunny skies.

Mowed the back yard yesterday in order to mulch leaves. Not sure but what it will be covered again by this afternoon. Eventually weather will keep me from mowing and the accumulated amount will be too heavy to mow, but for the moment I am going to try to keep it the yard from getting knee high in leaves. Still hoping the allergist will say I have achieved a level of immunity that we will be able to clear the yard of leaves before next spring. Strange, I know with the amount of work involved, but I really like the feeling of accomplishment and the look of the yard after clearing it of leaves. I hope to get the front yard mowed today.

For some reason our wi-fi went out about 1 this morning. I was awakened by a strobe light effect from one of the Alexa controlled plugs searching for the mother ship plus no sleep sounds coming from the Echo device. I found something to cover up the light and finally went back to sleep. Do not know what time the wi-fi came back up, but it was a weird experience. (Also makes me realize I need to learn more about how II has some of these items set up). Guess any other time the wi-fi was out the power was also out so had never seen that light blink like that before.

Hope your day is a good one. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34210 on: November 12, 2020, 07:16:53 am »
    Good morning from central Arizona. It is currently overcast and 45F and headed to 73F. We are headed home (39F to 70F) by way of Tucson (43F to 73F).

We were not successful locating the septic tank and stopped looking after cracking the handle of one of our shovels. The rain and melting snow made the rocky clay soil under the cinder cover difficult to dig in. We also gained inches of clay on the bottoms of our shoes that we had to scrape off frequently. We decided the $80 per hour to locate and uncover the septic tank lid was worth it, refilled the holes, headed to our daughter's house, and arrived after dinner time. Fortunately there were leftovers!

We are stopping at my sister's house in Tucson to drop off Thanksgiving ornament exchange packages. Our family tradition of the ornament exchange will continue despite not having the big family gathering. This time we drew names instead of drawing numbers to choose or steal wrapped packages as a means of distribution. We will open the packages on a Zoom (or equivalent)  meeting connecting the 7 or 8 locations spread over two countries and three states.

I am looking forward to getting home and working on our many projects in progress.

Hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other.
    « Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 07:21:17 am by Annalog »

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34211 on: November 13, 2020, 12:46:41 am »
    Anna, interesting about your ornament exchanges in your family. When I went to Christmas Bazaars in the city, I would look at ornaments and consider buying for my brother Paul, since I do not have a tree for Christmas in this little place of mine. My brother Stan has a tree as well. I have an ornament that commemorates the church I went to growing up for an anniversary that they gave out at a luncheon. It is still in the box with cellophane wrapper, and I kept it on my mantel for years. Now it is over to the side on top of my Peaches crates next to a digital clock. The church still exists but has changed a lot due to diminishing numbers of its congregation. They now have services in English and Portuguese. It is the Asbury United Methodist Church in Long Branch, NJ.

I had my first hand therapy session on Wednesday. I did not get there 15 minutes early (as advised) but just 5 minutes early and I had all the forms to fill out. It was on an ipad. So I started late and two other patients of the therapist came in while I was there.

On Thursday I got back to my going to bed late/getting up very late schedule. Used the exercise bike and went out to buy milk and other things at Morton Williams. Since they are no longer allowed to use plastic bags, they are selling bunches of 25 bags for $1 each and I got one. They are good for bathroom garbage and for taking out bottle/can recycling or small amounts of garbage.

I saw a mouse last night at 1:45 AM in my apartment for first time in 2 years. Horrors. It came out of below the sink cabinet in kitchen area and ran behind a bookcase in the living room. I sprayed some peppermint oil around to try to discourage it from staying. It's probably still here, but I do not now where. I already had 3 sticky traps (flat) out over by the windows. I will probably get some more. I am not as afraid of it as I was two years ago, because I saw it a bit earlier. Back then I would see it at 3 or 4 in the morning run across the living room. It messed up my sleep because I was just getting ready to go to bed. I suppose that it is fitting for 2020 to have another visit from one. Haven't seen anything tonight yet. I had cats for 30 years, so this was not a concern. Maybe I'll get another cat yet. I miss them but have managed pretty well alone.

Our Indian Summer ended Thursday morning with temps in the 40s. I was so glad that the heat came on and that I didn't have to call or text the super. It rained Thursday all day for 2nd day. 48 now and going up to 52 on Friday.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34212 on: November 13, 2020, 05:57:08 am »
    Good morning.

It is cloudy and 55 at the moment with an expected high of 64. No rain forecast for today but we could have some showers tomorrow.

II was notified yesterday morning that one of his fellow 11-7 shift worker had quit. So, he had a few more days added between now and Thanksgiving, including Thanksgiving night. He will still work the 3-11 shift occasionally (that shift for today was added and tomorrow's 3-11 shift already on the schedule changed to 11-7). His boss assured him he would hire someone ASAP as he knows II doesn't want to work more than a couple of nights a week and would probably also quit if he is scheduled for more than that for very long. A little more extra money won't be turned down, but it isn't worth it for a long period of time.

Made a Target run Wednesday. Found name brand disinfectant wipes for the first time in forever. They had a good supply of paper goods so I guess people here haven't started panic buying yet. I look for that to happen before much longer.

A little cooking and some cleaning on my agenda for today. I'm still considering getting another cat as I would like the companionship when II is at work. But I don't want a kitten and so far none of the cats I've seen on Petfinder have struck my fancy.

Hope your day goes well and your weekend plans include something slightly different than the weekdays. Stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34213 on: November 14, 2020, 05:50:29 am »
    Good morning.

We have the potential for rain this evening. Our expected high is 73 so I suppose thunderstorms might occur.

II working 11-7 tonight so not much in the way of plans for today. I plan on staying quiet this morning with some food prep to be done later on.

Enjoy your weekend. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34214 on: November 14, 2020, 08:44:35 am »

My old Fire has lost its spark.  :( I will need to decide what to replace it with. I miss it reading me to sleep.

The remodel of my mom's house was supposed to be finished a couple weeks ago. It is still ongoing but is far enough along for my nephew to start moving furniture in. DH and I were helping yesterday, primarily in taking stuff away in our truck. The first focus is to get the two PODs that they used to move from another state empty. One is now empty. We will go over on our nephew's next day off which will be later in the week as he works weekends. We will take stuff out of the garage that no longer needs to be in there, organize what remains, and empty the second pod.

Today is working on the loft bed for grand nephew, sewing, and household chores.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34215 on: November 15, 2020, 06:53:24 am »

My new Fire, case, and screen protector should arrive at my sister's house Monday. I chose delivery there as it is faster and I will be in town on that day.

Same activities today as yesterday.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34216 on: November 15, 2020, 07:05:32 am »
    Good morning.

We had some wind and a slight amount of rain overnight. Temps stayed at around 70 degrees until the wind brought slightly cooler air our way. A high of 63 today with sunny skies. Unfortunately, the wind also brought a lot more of the neighbor's leaves our way. Most of the leaves that accumulate in the front yard are not from trees in our yard.

II sleeping this morning. He is off today so can just take it easy once he awakens. I've got easy meals planned after cooking sausage patties and heating waffles I had previously frozen for breakfast. Now if some dish fairy would only come and do the dishes.

Have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34217 on: November 16, 2020, 06:43:15 am »
    Good morning.  It was 39 when we got up this morning.  It's already up to 44 with some bright sunshine.
    We spent the weekend camping for my birthday.  I am not sure who decided that I wanted to hassle with the trailer instead of just finding a nice place to stay, but that's what we did.  Current plan calls for us to take trailer to MIL on Saturday to stay for Thanksgiving.  I have to come back to Austin to work at least part of that week, so it should be interesting.
    My car is still in the shop.  No word yet on anything that could be causing the gasoline smell.
    I'm glad this year is drawing to a close.  Please let next year be better.
    Stay safe!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34218 on: November 16, 2020, 08:23:17 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently a sunny 57F and headed to 82F and windy. The low last night was 39F and it should be at least a week before we have freezing temperatures or rain again. Rain would be nice.

Another day of working on the loft bed and sewing. I will make a short trip to Tucson after my new Fire arrives at my sister's house.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:11:42 am by Annalog »

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34219 on: November 16, 2020, 07:47:53 pm »
    Good evening from Central Oregon where we are clearing out about 6" of wet slushy snow. At least the nearby mountains got a ton of it, all of which we need.  The governor has put us back on lockdown starting Wed. for 2 weeks trying to get the surge in COVID cases under control. We live in a small rural area that has had virtually no cases, so of course nobody wants to comply with any restrictions. I put on my mask, get in the store, and get outta there!!

Hope you all are staying safe and warm!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34220 on: November 17, 2020, 12:46:41 am »
    Good morning. Hope everyone is well and stays safe.

I had my second hand therapy session Monday afternoon. I've had a few days experiencing pain, but today was good. I took a walk in Central Park after the therapy and took more pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224728532026670&set=a.4483915261976
    The park was not as empty as it appears in my pictures.

I took these early Saturday evening on Columbus Avenue for the just-installed snowflake street ornaments. Some of these were in back of the Natural History Museum:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224714676360287&set=pcb.10224714683760472

It is 45 now, going up to 48 with a low of 34. It will be cloudy. Monday was sunny. Just realized today that Thanksgiving is next week!
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34221 on: November 17, 2020, 05:49:06 am »
    Good morning.

36 degrees and heading to 66 with sunny skies and supposedly no chance of precipitation.

II worked 3-11 last night and works 11-7 tonight. I keep having to check the calendar to be sure I have his schedule correct for the next couple of weeks. What I fix for meals a lot of times is based on his work schedule.

The allergy clinic called yesterday. My doctor is cutting back on his patient load and will not be in the office on the day I was scheduled for a review. We thought they were going to retest on that day, but apparently really misunderstood a lot of what he said. The earliest I could get in to see him was February, so I asked to see another doctor. So, in January, I'll see the backup physician I am assigned to for the review, then we'll go from there. The review will pretty much be a discussion of how I have reacted to the shots and I'm not sure what else. II and I both understood that I would be retested in December to determine if the injections are doing anything. Guess I'll give up on the idea of being able to help with leaf clearing and planting flowers for another year. I was a little disappointed, to say the least. I've also been unable to get a refill on the Epi-pen so will be discussing that prescription while I am there. My current one is supposed to expire in March. I was told that if I have an encounter with a fire ant, use the Epi-pen, then they will work me in for further evaluation. Not as much help as I wished for.

Speaking of allergy shots, that is on the agenda after II awakens, followed by getting lunch to bring home.

Hope you have a good day. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34222 on: November 17, 2020, 07:51:54 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently a sunny 54F and headed to 86F.

The Fire didn't arrive at my sister's house until mid afternoon yesterday so I stayed home. I go later this morning instead. While there, my sister and I will go to Lowe's to pick up material to build a slide for the loft bed. We will have them cut the material for width so that it will fit in my car. I will be masked the entire time except while driving alone.

I talked with my daughter yesterday to finalize Thanksgiving plans. DH and I will stay at our daughter's house as we have been one or two weekends a month for the past few months. Our youngest granddaughter will be coming home from NAU as early as possible. She has been very careful there and has tested negative on all of the random tests that the school has been giving. I believe that she will be getting another test before my daughter drives up to get her. Other than our youngest granddaughter, DH and I will only be with family members we have been with in the past two weeks and all of us have been staying masked and distanced from others. I will cooking at home the two dishes that I am bringing. My daughter will be getting the smallest turkey that she can find. Because the weather is predicted to be in the 70s, we will be eating outside and spending as much time outside as possible. Of course, any suspected exposure or sign of symptoms will change our current plans. We will all be careful.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:10:57 am by Annalog »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34223 on: November 17, 2020, 04:36:49 pm »
    Update: I met my sister at Lowe's  and she brought my Amazon box with Fire, case, etc. We bought one item there and then drove in our separate cars to Home Depot for lumber. I drove home from there.

My new Fire is currently restoring last update from the Fire that stopped working around the end of last month. The time for downloading that keeps going up! It was an hour, then 90 minutes,  and now it says 2 hours. I am going to leave it as I suspect that a watched Fire never finishes downloading! I am glad that that update was there. I won't lose anything!  ;D This Fire is just a bit longer than the one that died. I like my Sage Green case. I meant to get the non-glare screen protector but this one captures finger prints. At least it went on with no bubbles in the viewing area.  :)

Update: The above was written at 4:30 PM. At 9 PM it was down to an hour. I moved the Fire to a safe spot that I could reach from bed. A bit later it beeped. I woke the screen and it said 5 minutes left. It rebooted and went into download/update mode again. The time remaining varied from an hour to over two hours.

A game I was playing on my phone lost server connection so I got up to check the router. On the way, I accidentally hit my little toe on the heavy wood and wire covered cat carrier that DH had moved. I continued to the router and it was working correctly. I checked my toe and it was covered with blood. I washed my foot and tried to examine my toe. Once I washed it, it wasn't bleeding much so I knew it would be ok. I couldn't see exactly what had happened so I slathered it in triple antibiotic cream with pain relief added, put on two different band-aids at right angles to each other, wrapped the toe with waterproof bandage tape, and added a sock over that. I went back to bed and eventually to sleep.

I woke up a bit after 4 AM and checked on the Fire. It had reached the next stage. I completed the remaining screens and setup was complete at 4:31 AM. During this process DH woke up. I downloaded some books, checked out the volume and the text-to-speech feature. Around 5:30, DH decided that he was hungry. He is in the living room eating cereal and watching one of the Diskworld videos. I am going to try to go back to sleep for a bit listening to Night Watch. Later I will have DH look at my toe.
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:43:06 am by Annalog »

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34224 on: November 18, 2020, 06:19:40 am »
    Good morning.  It's 44 and sunny in Austin today.  I had to drive in to the office to set up some stuff for a Town Hall meeting on Monday.  Honestly - who thought a big meeting the Monday before Thanksgiving was a good idea?  At least everyone is going to be at his/her own desk so I only have to worry about my stuff and I don't have to be around other people.  So that's good since we are supposed to be at my Mom's on Friday after Thanksgiving.  I don't know if I think that is a good idea either - but I was outvoted...  I have most of my masks in the laundry basket to be washed.  I guess that's on the agenda for today.
    I also need to call and check on my poor car.
    Stay safe!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement