Kindle Forum banner

The Good Morning Thread

2M views 36K replies 570 participants last post by  *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) 
#1 ·
A thread just to say hello and good morning.

Rainy and miserable here in Maine today. The wind is howling! 39 degrees...at least it isn't snow.

L

See less See more
#33,401 ·
Good afternoon from sunny, hot, and windy Arizona.

The remote had a broken spring on the brass piece for the momentary contact for the push button. DH replaced that by bypassing the button and broken switch with an Alco switch from his model railroad parts. We took it to mom's house this morning to test. It is still not working. DH then tried a direct manual contact. Still not working. It appears that when the original brass spring broke there was a short and a component on the circuit board burned out. At least at two wired switches inside the garage work. Those can be used until either an alternate remote is found or the entire garage door opener is replaced. That last option would need to wait until the house is officially sold as it would make no sense to replace the garage door opener if the entire garage is to be remodeled.

My nephew and his family should be arriving late tonight from Las Vegas. We will be back there in the morning to help unload the U-Haul.

Yesterday I made a few masks using the pattern that my sister uses. It is simple and has an opening for adding a filter. My sister modified the pattern slightly to have a different fabric on the inside than outside. That modification also makes it easy to add a non-woven inner layer. It is pleated but my machine did okay. I will make a few today using quilting cotton instead of the heavier cotton for the outer layer. If that goes faster, then this is the style that I am switching to for large quantity donations for donations that don't request specific patterns.

I hope your day is full of health, joy, and wonder. Be excellent to each other, even if from a distance.

#33,402 ·
Good morning.

We'll be in the 80s today with fair skies.

Little household chores to be done today, but no major plans. That seems to be the pattern of our days at the moment. It will really be strange not to be busy at the arena this month. Graduations always meant a busy couple of weeks in past years.

Hope your weekend is a good one. Stay safe.

#33,403 ·
Good Morning

Another beautiful desert day to work outside. I hope to finish a major landscaping job today.

I choked up reading LL's post...the kids are not going to get their graduation ceremonies this year.....that is awful !! I hope parents and teachers will be able to come up with something special to recognize student's achievement. It is so important to walk across that stage after four years of hard work.

Have a fun and safe weekend my friends

#33,404 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona.

Our nephew said "Thank you for the offer but stay home." He said that since he was able to load the U-Haul all by himself, he could unload it without help. I phoned my sister this morning to verify and heard that he hadn't started unloading yet but that high speed internet had just been installed and my nephew was setting up the kids tablets so that they could do their school work. Apparently their teachers said that since all school work was online, the girls could finish their school year at their current school. :)

My sewing machine really doesn't like pleats. I needed to adjust my machine again yesterday after starting on the new masks but before I even got to the pleats. After the adjustment, I was able to finish the masks. Hopefully I will be able to get through today without more machine adjustments. I will see how many I can finish by noon on Monday. Then I will head to the Post Office.

I hope your day is full of health, joy, and wonder. Be excellent to each other, even if from a distance.

#33,406 ·
Good Morning

We have a beautiful Spring day on queue. (The windshield wipers I ordered 6 months ago arrived yesterday....so we will not see rain for the next ten months ! Ha !)

I have been doing alot of heavy lifting and digging the past two days and am a bit sore, so I think I will take it easy today...maybe go hunting wildflowers with my camera.

I hope everyone is doing well and being safe.

#33,407 ·
Good morning from sunny southern Arizona. It is currently 79°F and headed to 96°F. A few days ago, in Tucson, the ice broke on the Santa Cruz river (100°F). It has cooled down a bit from then.

More mask sewing today. Slow going with fiddly machine issues. I now need to use receipt paper under the ends of the 3/8" ties as my machine is hungry and tries to eat them. (The center section of the plate is bent.) Back stitch is once again occasionally unreliable. I am going to deal with it when I am done sewing thick pleats. Even with the delays, these masks are faster to sew.

#33,408 ·
Annalog said:
Good morning from sunny southern Arizona. It is currently 79°F and headed to 96°F. A few days ago, in Tucson, the ice broke on the Santa Cruz river (100°F). It has cooled down a bit from then.

More mask sewing today. Slow going with fiddly machine issues. I now need to use receipt paper under the ends of the 3/8" ties as my machine is hungry and tries to eat them. (The center section of the plate is bent.) Back stitch is once again occasionally unreliable. I am going to deal with it when I am done sewing thick pleats. Even with the delays, these masks are faster to sew.

As I read your post, I wondered if you have a set of hump jumpers. They came with my machine, but are available on the market. It helps sew along when one edge is higher or lower than the next. Hard to explain. My Bernina sews like butter through several layers and I have never had to use them. If I did need to use them I would probably try my walking foot first, then the hump jumpers.

#33,409 ·
Jane917 said:
As I read your post, I wondered if you have a set of hump jumpers. They came with my machine, but are available on the market. It helps sew along when one edge is higher or lower than the next. Hard to explain. My Bernina sews like butter through several layers and I have never had to use them. If I did need to use them I would probably try my walking foot first, then the hump jumpers.
No, my machine doesn't have hump jumpers but I suspect that I made something this morning that may be equivalent. I took some inch wide double fold binding that I then folded back and forth a few times and clipped it. I am using these as supports at the beginning and end under my presser foot to level it. This is helping a lot. Back stitch I am turning the wheel by hand. With these, sewing is going much faster. I have a walking foot but what I am sewing is actually easier without it due to lack of space.

#33,410 ·
Good morning.

Warm already with an expected high of around 84 and a very slight chance of a thunderstorm overnight.

II has PT this afternoon, then works tonight. It is one of only 3 he's scheduled for this month.

Re graduations, schools are hoping they might be allowed to have some sort of ceremony in July at another venue in the area. One (a very small school) is being creative, by having the graduates drive through the school grounds, get  out of their car to get their diploma and have a picture taken in their cap and gown. It will be streamed for relatives to watch as no one will be allowed to stand along the parade route. Graduates and their chosen family member(s) will be the only ones allowed in the vehicles.

I'm going to be calling our insurance agent later this morning. Received the tag renewal notice on one of the vehicles and it shows us not having a record of current insurance. Aarg! We just received the new proof of insurance cards and the renewed policy last week. The tags don't expire until the end of June, but it would not be good if one of us were stopped. Also, the notification of no insurance is being expedited to law enforcement now so we don't want to take any chances.

A little housework on my agenda for the day.

Have a good day and stay safe.

#33,411 ·
Good Morning

Sunny 80s in the desert. No special plans, just being grateful for what I have as we going through these awful times....so many are in terrible and frightening conditions....

Be safe my friends

#33,413 ·
Good morning. Hope you are all well.

Friday I called my doctor and got a teleconference appointment. This because my left ear has been feeling stuffy for weeks and aching recently. She prescribed an antibiotic pill and ear drops. I will have the last pill later today. Stayed in the past three days, despite the great weather we had here (79 on Sunday). It was nice to open the windows and let in the warm air. This morning it is 46 and will go up to high of 62. Of course our heat has not come on today. Once we get a little warm weather the landlord tries to get away with giving no more heat. But it isn't really cold inside yet.

Wishing everyone a good day.

#33,414 ·
Good morning.

We will be slightly cooler than yesterday with an expected high of 77 and sunshine eventually. At least the thunderstorms missed us.

What I get done today depends on whether II tries to get a little sleep this morning. Apparently his night at the arena was uneventful. He doesn't work for the next couple of weeks so now we need to make ourselves get some things done outside.

Hope everyone has a good day. I realize that is easier some days than others. Stay safe.

#33,415 ·
Good morning from sunny southern Arizona.

Mlewis, I hope that you are feeling much better today.

Yesterday, after mailing my first batch of masks to the Navajo Department of Health, I saw a post from the Maricopa County Department of Health listing what they would and could not accept as donations. One thing that the Maricopa County would not accept was fabric masks. There were two comments complaining about this. I don't understand some people sometimes. To the first one, the Maricopa County Department of Health identified a couple places that would accept fabric masks as donations. I added a separate comment saying that if someone had made masks to donate, they could send them to the Navajo Nation and provided their Official Navajo Nation COVID-19 Relief Fund link. However, someone else liked my comment so I continue to believe that most people will continue to help others in need when they are able to do so.

#33,417 ·
Good morning.  I think I lost a few days...  It's 62 and sunny in Central Texas this morning after a "cold" front came through yesterday.
I had to go up to the office for a test meeting yesterday morning.  It was really weird to get up and drive across town after four weeks of working from home.  But it was nice to get out for a bit.  Our test went well and showed a few places where we need more clarification on process and more practice before May 20th.
That also caused me to get confused - I thought yesterday was Monday.  Just go with my cousin's theory - "It's Blursday."
Stay safe.

#33,418 ·
Good Morning

I stayed outside most of the night as the temperature was perfect with a Full Moon and a Meteor Shower. Delightful, but I did not sleep much....so I suspect today will mostly be Napcatcatnappin'

Keep Well and Safe, My Friends

Andra: "Blursday"...I like that ! I would also like to drive in Austin while there is little or no traffic...grin

#33,419 ·
Good morning.

Missed yesterday as II had an early morning medical appointment. Now we have to wait to hear to from the doctor for the results of the stress test.

The weather looks good today with sunny skies and a high of 73. But we have the potential for an more than of inch of rainfall overnight. But it least the rain will fall while I am asleep.

Today will probably be II's last PT session. At least his therapist thinks the doctor will release him when after next Monday's visit.

We tried Chick-Fil-A's Chicken Parmesan meal kit Tuesday. It was easy to fix and pretty tasty.

Hope everyone's staying as stress free as possible in these times. Some days it is easier than others. Stay safe.

#33,420 ·
Good Morning

Sunny, breezy 90s in the desert

We have had a blessed event at the Lighthouse Ranch;
MommaCat (Patches) who has been waddling around very pregnant for a while, showed up at breakfast very skinny. She will raise them in private somewhere for about 5 weeks, then bring them to the porch and introduce them to their siblings and solid food.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Keep Safe my Friends.