Kindle Forum banner

The Good Morning Thread

2M views 36K replies 570 participants last post by  *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) 
#1 ·
A thread just to say hello and good morning.

Rainy and miserable here in Maine today. The wind is howling! 39 degrees...at least it isn't snow.

L

See less See more
#33,441 ·
nice day today.  got up early(ish) to go to the grocery store.  when i got down by the elevator, i saw that my hint water order had arrived, so i didn't have to pick water up at the store!  Most of today's shopping was non-essential snacky stuff (i did get some meat and potatoes). in other good news, as i was walking to the store, i saw that the sushi place i like has reopened for take out. 

and then later today, my sugarfina candy order arrived, so i am REALLY set for sweets.

#33,442 ·
Good morning.

Our high is to be in the 80s today. Guess the yard will dry out quickly from the rain that fell yesterday.

We ventured out yesterday to buy a couple of greeting cards. I had been making do with what I had around here for a couple of things, but wanted a card for the occasion for a couple of events coming up. I bought the second anniversary card I looked at and the first birthday card I picked up. Just didn't want to handle very many items. I was wearing a mask as did the store clerks, but neither of the other customers had masks on.

We need to pick up a prescription today; it will be through the drive-through. Otherwise, there are a couple of projects in the yard II mentioned he thought he could take care of now. The recovery from the shoulder replacement has certainly been much easier and much faster than we anticipated.

Have a good day. Stay safe.

#33,443 ·
Good Morning

We had winds gusts up to 70 mph yesterday which scared the cats, but also put lots of dust in the air making for a spectacular sunset. Nice day on queue today.

I am off to the Clinic to pick up some medications, then to the Post Office. As long as the car is out and I have no reason to go to "town". I think I will do some off-roading on a Wildflower Hunt.

Hope everyone is Well and Happy.
Be safe my Friends

#33,444 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona.

I mailed masks yesterday just in time for the package to make it onto the truck. Just a few minutes later and it wouldn't have gone until 4 PM today.

While I was on my Post Office trip, DH decided to use the truck to push the shed back three feet over the pavers he had laid so that he could take out the front 8x8x16 blocks to bury in the back. It is amazing how much faster this goes with soft ground. It also helps that he is now working on the north side of the shed instead of the south side.

After the shed is back in place, DH should have just enough time to build a requested piece of furniture for our daughter's birthday near the end of this month. Our current plan is to deliver it the weekend immediately after her birthday and hopefully spend a couple nights there. Our daughter doesn't know this yet. We will verify with her whether this will be ok when we know that the gift will be finished in time. Everything will be dependent on household health status and her approval.

After I finish the dozen more masks currently cut out and send them, my next project will be making masks specifically for the weekend trip to our daughter's house. Those masks will be specifically designed for generating smiles. They will be silly but functional.

I hope your day is full of health, joy, and wonder. Be excellent to each other, even if from a distance. Remember to be excellent to yourself as well.

#33,445 ·
Good morning.  We had some ugly weather in Central Texas yesterday, but the tornadoes were not very close to my house.  It's cooler and still cloudy today.  We continue to practice our meeting.  I will be very glad when they gavel out on Thursday.  One way or the other it will be over then.
I had to hold my mask when my hair stylist cut around my ears because she uses a razor and didn't want to accidentally cut the straps.  It is nice to have my hair out of my eyes again.
Stay safe!

#33,446 ·
Good Morning

"Nippy" morning in the desert (54) and only headed to low 80s.

Oleander, Mimosa, Chitalpa, Red Yucca have blossomed together and all have "Hummer-Happy" nectar. So I have dozens of hummingbirds around the house. If you sit quietly with a hose on fine spray, they will hover in the water for a bath....Too Kool !!

No special plans....Me and the cats are just going to enjoy the day outside.

Keep Happy and Safe, My Friends

#33,447 ·
Good morning.

62 degrees heading to 83 with a slight chance of a pop-up thundershower this afternoon.

Most of my lilac bush died this spring. It had started leafing out and had lots of buds, then they shriveled up. So, yesterday we cut out all of the dead canes but did leave the new ones from last year. It is a little scraggly looking, but we decided to see what it does. We still think part of the problem was too much rain. I can't remember when we planted it.

Errands to run - prescriptions and bird seed to pick up. At least, I hope I get the notification that TSC has the bird seed I use in stock. We'll do the drive through at the pharmacy and have TSC bring the order to the car. Guess I could get used to that, although II always likes wandering around in the store just to see what he can find. Not comfortable doing that right now, though. We will probably support a food place while we're out.

Have a good day. Stay safe.

#33,448 ·

My mom passed away a year ago today. Yesterday I set out my special items to wear today: owl hair bun cover that my mom requested that I make for myself, and a T-shirt with image drawn by my niece with imagery representing mom (roadrunner), dad (phainopepla), my brother (stuffed monkey he gave mom before cancer surgery), and togetherness (cristate saguaro). I will be working in the garden, sewing masks, and thinking about mom, dad, and my brother. DH and I will probably push the shed to its final location.

I hope your day is full of health, joy, and wonder. Be excellent to each other, even if from a distance. Remember to be excellent to yourself as well.

#33,449 ·
Good morning.

We'll be warm again today at 83 but it looks like the rain will get here later than expected.

II works tonight, then will be off for a couple of weeks. As usual, not much in the plans today. Errands yesterday went smoothly; brought barbecue home for lunch which meant supper didn't have to require a major effort.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

#33,451 ·

We moved the shed to what we hoped would be its final location. DH moved the truck to be ready to remove from the back yard. However, while trying to remove one of the logs used as rollers (our fence rails), the shed decided to roll and pivot. This meant that we would need the truck again to move the shed. DH got the truck close to the correct position. He hopped out of the truck to check but forgot to put it in park.  :eek: The truck started forward and hit an awning support before DH could get back in and stop it. Fortunately that was the only damage done.

Today we will try to correct the position and lower it to sit on the pavers.

#33,454 ·

The shed has landed on the pavers. Yesterday morning Raymond decided that the best thing to do was to park the truck backed up against the one corner of the shed that was still in the correct position and use the lever on the opposite corner to move the shed back to where it belonged. That worked! Then he got supports under all four corners. Then I used the lever at a spot closest to a roller that needed to be removed and Raymond removed the roller. We then moved to the next roller and repeated the process. Raymond was able to use a hydraulic jack in the back to lift the shed and get the back corner supports out. Then I used the lever near one front corner support so Raymond could remove it. Then Raymond used the lever by the final corner support so that I could remove it.  Finally, Raymond lowered the final shed corner. We were done with that stage of the project. Raymond and I got one workbench into the shed and stopped for lunch. After lunch the other work bench went in and Raymond started moving the rest of his stuff back in. 🙂 Not too bad for a couple 66 and 67. 😉

I sent more masks to the Navajo Nation yesterday. I  was able to fit 22 into the large flexible envelope. Once again I  arrived at the post office with just a few minutes to spare.

I am hoping to take it easy today.

#33,455 ·
Good Morning

I could not sleep last night (Trying to solve the world's problems...sigh) so I made a pot of coffee and went outside. The temperature was just right with crystal clear starry skies and so quiet you could hear the insects crunching in the undergrowth.

After a few hours, I remembered that there is a Power much greater than me taking care of things.

Hope everyone is having a healthy and safe weekend.

Be careful, my Friends

#33,457 ·
Good morning.

There is at least 3 inches in the rain gauge this morning with more to come later this morning. I am looking forward to drying out for a few days.

Nothing specific planned for today. I'd love to go out for breakfast, but not quite comfortable with the idea yet.

Hope your Sunday is peaceful. Stay safe.

#33,458 ·

Not only did I take it easy yesterday, I took a three hour nap instead of having lunch. ;) Meanwhile, DH took the evaporative cooler that used to be on the chicken coop and put it on the west end of the shed. It will be a welcome addition in the summer heat after the water and electricity are hooked up. ;D

While fixing dinner last night I found some potatoes that had sprouted. Those are getting planted this morning.

#33,459 ·
Good Morning

Another very windy day in the desert....beautiful sunrise, but going outside is like walking in front of a sand-blaster.

Happy Monday...I hope everyone's week is off to a good start.

Keep Well and Safe, my Friends

#33,460 ·
Good morning.

Looks like a nice day in store with sunny skies and a high of around 80. That should allow the yard to dry some after the 3 1/4 inches that fell this weekend. We were planning on trying to do some work around the bird feeders today, but it will probably be too wet to do anything before tomorrow. Yesterday morning I sunk in 3-4 inches one of the places where I stepped near them.

Not sure what else we might get up to today. Tomorrow will be my first maintenance allergy shot preceded by a pickup order at Kroger. It is a good thing they allow you to modify orders after placing them as I always think of something else I need. 

Hope your week is off to a good start. Stay safe.