Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1444061 times)  

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #33625 on: June 28, 2020, 01:45:57 am »
Good morning. 73, clear, 84% humidity, going up to 87 degrees F. It sure was humid when i went out in the evening to drop off laundry. There is a restaurant on 10th Avenue at 52nd that has just come back. Crispins (accent on the second i). They closed a few years ago and were replaced with Decimo. Decimo closed more than a year ago. There was a for sale sign there for months (unusual because there are usually for lease signs after a business moves out). Crispins started renovating it early in the year until the virus closed everything. They have a nice looking arrangement with outdoor tables, but still too close for me. Might take-out some time.

There is another restaurant on 10th, near 54th/55th, that has outdoor tables and was crowded a few days ago. They even had hookahs that people were using at the tables. What a site to see any time but crazy to see it now. They had no one there and tables were empty when I passed by there today (Salls'). There is a place on 10th and 55th corner that used to have outdoor tables and hookahs for vaping (Gardenia) but they have not re-opened at all. Perhaps gone for good.

Anna, the origami sounds like fun. I had an origami kit when I was a teen.  My cousin's wife is artistic and used to make things with paper. So long ago. She is also a singer. Lives in Buffalo, NY.

My mother's birthday was Saturday, the 27th. She died in 2014. She would have been 98!

Hope everyone has a good, kind and safe day.
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33626 on: June 28, 2020, 05:13:38 am »
    Good Morning

Our temperature is forecast to only be about 100, but very high winds are back.  I was going to do a "Dump Run", but will put it off to a calmer day.  House cleaning on queue....with no company, it is easy to fall into "Why-Bother" mode.  I hate that....I am one of those "everything in its place" kind of guys.

Hope everyone has a pleasant day...keep on top of the news....scary things happening out there
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33627 on: June 28, 2020, 05:38:10 am »
    Good morning.

Supposed to have a high around 91. One weather app says it will be sunny, another says it will be cloudy. Well, at the moment it is cloudy. Mowing may or may not happen at some point today.

We went from worrying about the oldest (in NY) who continued to work during the shutdown, to now having to worry about the youngest (in TX). Neither are the partying kind or ones who consider themselves invincible. They do take precautions, at least.

Take care, stay safe, maybe tune out the world for a little while and have a peaceful Sunday.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #33628 on: June 28, 2020, 10:36:49 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. Yesterday was overcast all day and we could see verga (rain that evaporates before it reaches the ground) in the distance. This morning was clear with one small lonely cloud. I hope its friends come to visit.

The OrigamiUSA Unconventional Convention ended yesterday. However, I learned that OrigamiUSA is hosting a Zoom site where they let people or groups schedule Zoom meetings. This afternoon I will be attending a Zoom meeting of the Pacific Ocean Paperfolders (POP). :D An origami friend of mine who I met in Tucson, Arizona but who now lives in Nebraska is also planning on attending. We haven't been at the same origami meeting in over a decade. This will be fun! Meanwhile, I am working on finishing the Star Flower modular that I learned Friday afternoon. Happy Folding!

I will probably go back to mask sewing on Monday or Tuesday. ;)

I hope your day is full of health, joy, and wonder. Be excellent to each other, even if wearing a silly looking mask or a somber one.

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33629 on: June 28, 2020, 03:34:21 pm »
    i stayed in yesterday, but still managed to get a little under a mile of steps in dancing around the apartment.

i watched a National Theatre broadcast of a very weird version of Midsummer Night's Dream (they kind of switched Oberon and Titania's lines), then i watched the Stratford (Ontario) stream of The Adventure of Pericles.  I mostly enjoyed that, although I wish the main male had been a bit younger and i did not like the female lead. 

today i had to go out to mail my rent check, so i decided to order from the Japanese Hibachi restaurant that I love that has just reopened for take out.  it was 87 degrees and pretty humid, but my dinner (and tomorrow's lunch) are worth it!

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33630 on: June 28, 2020, 03:41:28 pm »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. Yesterday was overcast all day and we could see verga (rain that evaporates before it reaches the ground) in the distance. This morning was clear with one small lonely cloud. I hope its friends come to visit.

The OrigamiUSA Unconventional Convention ended yesterday. However, I learned that OrigamiUSA is hosting a Zoom site where they let people or groups schedule Zoom meetings. This afternoon I will be attending a Zoom meeting of the Pacific Ocean Paperfolders (POP). :D An origami friend of mine who I met in Tucson, Arizona but who now lives in Nebraska is also planning on attending. We haven't been at the same origami meeting in over a decade. This will be fun! Meanwhile, I am working on finishing the Star Flower modular that I learned Friday afternoon. Happy Folding!

I will probably go back to mask sewing on Monday or Tuesday. ;)

I hope your day is full of health, joy, and wonder. Be excellent to each other, even if wearing a silly looking mask or a somber one.

This post reminds me of a book I read recently with my book club. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg. You might really like it.

I have not reported weather in the PNW in a while. We have had a little bit of every thing, but today is partly cloudy, 67 degrees, a slight breeze. I am practicing a new binding foot for my Bernina. I am not as proficient as many and usually go back to hand stitching for my bindings. I have not been very productive with my sewing since COVID. I can't get motivated.

My county in Washington is in Phase 2, and is preparing to apply for Phase 3. Not sure it will change much of our behavior, as we are basically staying at home. We have seen grandkids only twice since the beginning. That was a backyard visit on a nice day. We did not wear masks, but stayed at least 6 feet apart. Our kids are all medical providers and very protective of us. I guess that is a good thing, but we miss them.

Stay safe and healthy.  Jane
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33631 on: June 29, 2020, 05:49:00 am »
    Good morning.

Thunderstorms rolled through yesterday afternoon so the mowing didn't get done. And more storms forecast today from mid-morning to early evening. So maybe it will be dry enough again by Wednesday.

A couple of prescriptions ready for pickup and a grocery order pickup on the agenda this morning. II's car goes in for an oil change tomorrow so I imagine it could use some clearing out sometime today. Otherwise, just the same old, same old.

Hope your day is a good one. Stay safe.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33632 on: June 29, 2020, 06:19:51 am »
    Good Morning and  Happy Monday

Yesterday's high winds did some damage in the valley including knocking over an 80' tree on my place (no damage, firewood supply).

A very large fire has started on Mt. Charleston (highest mountain between my valley and Las Vegas). Firefighters are having a hard time getting it under control.

My nearest neighbor called yesterday saying her well had stopped and would not restart.  My well has had low pressure for about a week and I have been trouble-shooting it.  I have a wonderful well company and they will be out today to look at things.  I suspect we will have to deepen our wells (read: "deepen our pockets".....giggle)

Cooler temperatures today which will help working outside.

Hope everyone has a good week...be safe !!!   COVIDIOTS are warming up for the Fourth of July....sigh
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33633 on: June 29, 2020, 06:20:41 am »
    Good morning.  It's still muggy in Austin.  Right now it's 76 and we are heading towards mid 90s.  It's gonna be ugly out there unless we get some breeze to go with it.  We had one brief shower yesterday evening - just enough to get the yard nice and muddy.
    Work is temporarily suspending to "actually go to office" plan that they started a couple weeks ago.  There is a rumor that someone in our building tested positive and they want us to stay home until they figure out what's going on.  I'm getting used to working from home.  I really enjoy the short commute, but I miss seeing other people.  With the number of cases in Texas sky-rocketing again, going to see my mom on the 4th just got a lot less likely.
    Oh - on the good news side of things - I went to HEB and Sprouts on Saturday morning.  For the very first time since this whole thing started, every single person in both stores was wearing a mask.  It was amazing to see.
    Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33634 on: June 29, 2020, 04:07:12 pm »
    Good afternoon from southern Arizona. It was clear, sunny, hot, and windy this morning. It is still windy and hot but some clouds are forming. Definitely early monsoon here. Looking forward to rain!

Early this morning I was digging in the garden for planting my monsoon garden. Then, DH and I got breakfast via the drive-thru from MCD prior to me going in to Walmart to buy some snacks and soda for DH and office supplies, fabric, and plants (2 tomato and one banana pepper) for me. DH stayed out in the truck as I am the designated shopper. I watered the plants after we got home and put them in a shaded area of one of the chain link pens remaining from when we had chickens. I will plant them in the garden this evening along with seeds for other vegetables. Our apple tree has at least 6 apples on it. The luffa vines had their first bloom this morning. The Arizona Ash that we thought might die due to watering system malfunction is now covered with new green leaves.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33635 on: June 29, 2020, 11:11:55 pm »
    Good morning.  I vented on facebook about some phone calls today with my insurance and some audiologists that won't take me (insurance), so I won't go into that. I have a follow up visit today with dentist because I've had pain from the 3 new fillings. I don't know why. Advil helps! Heating pad also helps. I have an appointment Thursday with an audiologist on Thursday and then should be seeing ENT doctor again soon after that. The audiologist is near Grand Central, so at least a 45 minute walk. I will allow an hour at least. The one in my zip code is the one that doesn't take my insurance. This is to see if my left ear is working properly. Most people go for hearing problems and to get a hearing aid, I think. (So as not to dwell on this  . . . that is all for now on that).

I bought a new camera with stimulus money. Ordered Sunday from B&H Photo and picked it up at the store today on 9th and 34th Street. Nikon had a sale that ended on Sunday so it was a matter of buying then or paying more later. Took some pictures with my iphone on the way. This was my first time walking down that far since my health club closed (pool is at 43rd and 10th). The store is closed except for pick-up. It was very efficient. When I came out a thunder storm was starting and then the rain got very heavy. It was over by the time I got up to 46th where I ordered take-out at Galaxy Diner. Tender chicken wrap with sweet potato fries. My first take out (except for pizza slices) since Christmas. It was so good. Seemed to take me a long time to walk home. I have not opened the box with the new camera in it yet! I was too tired and overwhelmed by the time I got home. Also there was an Amazon box waiting for me on the 1st floor. I had to take my camera and food up first and go back to get it. One of those shipments where I bought three small things but the box was so big.

Wishing everyone a good day with happy vibes. 72 degrees now and may go up to 80 with possible thunder storms.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33636 on: June 30, 2020, 05:45:12 am »
    Good morning.

Already feeling a little uncomfortably warm and humid this morning when I went out early to fill the bird feeders. I am seeing multiple young cardinals, house finches, and woodpeckers this year. Have to fill the feeders a couple of times a day.

Our tornado sirens went off yesterday afternoon during the thunderstorm that dropped almost 2 inches of rain. It has been a long time since we heard the sirens other than during testing at noon on Wednesdays. There was only about 15 minutes left of the warning when they went off. Turned the TV on and found that the potential for tornadoes wasn't really very close to us.

My grocery pickup yesterday was the smoothest one yet. I was back on the road about 5 minutes after I let them know I was there. Only two items not available and neither one of them was something that I needed to scramble and find someplace else.

Today we're dropping II's car off in Little Rock for an oil change, then heading down to Bryant for my allergy shot. Decided we would pick up lunch after that. As usual at this time of year we have the potential for isolated thunderstorms most days.

Not sure what else might get done. We don't seem to be very ambitious on days we leave the house for very long.

Hope your day goes smoothly. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33637 on: June 30, 2020, 06:15:18 am »
    Good morning.  Just back from a walk around the block with Ginger and it's already icky out there.  It's only 78, but it's so muggy.  I'm glad we only have a few weeks of that kind of weather up here.  It's usually very dry.
    Ginger has a check-up this afternoon.  We've been putting it off, but decided maybe that wasn't fair to her.  So we'll don masks and go to the vet and follow their "wait in your vehicle" protocol.  Hopefully it's an uneventful visit.
    I can't believe that June is already over.  It seems like just yesterday it was February and I was going to the office like everything was normal.

Stay safe.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33638 on: June 30, 2020, 07:49:22 am »
    Good Morning

Delightful day in the desert with temperatures in the low 90s and light wind,  I have some wind damaged trees to trim and one very large tree too cut up.

Yesterday's visit for our water wells was good news for everyone.  WE have a very large dairy in the valley that has been expanding for 20 years and we feared that their high water usage had lowered the water table for we domestic users.  Turned out that my pressure tanks needed readjustment and the other two needed new pumps (both were 20+ years old).  Good news for all.

I hope to make a dump/post office run later, then putz outside for a while.

Still setting up my new computer which I am very happy with, but the pop-up ads are unbelievable and it has been difficult to get settings and formats that I am comfortable with....I am ready to go back to a pencil and yellow legal pad ! giggle

Keep happy and safe, My Friends

'da NapCat

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33639 on: June 30, 2020, 10:22:54 am »
    mlewis, do you walk past the New York Public Library?  CNN has an article that the lions are wearing face masks.  That would be pretty cool to see.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33640 on: June 30, 2020, 01:41:29 pm »
    Good afternoon from southern Arizona. Still hot and windy here. The clouds come and go.

I planted the three plants late yesterday afternoon. However, I did not get any seeds planted last night or this morning.

Instead, I was and am preparing for my first Zoom meeting where I will be teaching an origami model. I will be teaching how to fold the modular unit and initial assembly of Robert J. Lang's Star Flower Modular. It takes 30 modular units to complete and I know that we won't be able to finish in one or two of the 45 minute Zoom sessions available on the free Basic Zoom plan. The session will start in about 90 minutes from when I post this. ;D

Offline telracs

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33641 on: June 30, 2020, 02:04:36 pm »
    mlewis, do you walk past the New York Public Library?  CNN has an article that the lions are wearing face masks.  That would be pretty cool to see.

from reading her post, i'd say no....  the library is on 5th Ave and 42nd street, and she was far west of that.  Manhattan is some 2 miles wide at its widest point.  And in NY, avenues run north/south and streets run east/west and 5th Ave is the center avenue between east and west.

i didn't quite beat the rain today, got caught in a shower a couple of blocks from home. 

Edited to add:  she'll probably go near the library when going to the audiologist.  depending on what route she takes...
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:26:51 pm by telracs »

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33642 on: July 01, 2020, 05:37:22 am »
    Good morning.

Cloudy with clearing skies later. A heat advisory in place with en expected high of 91. Mowing still has to be on my agenda. I'll just take more breaks.

A plumber coming today to clear the sewer line from the washer. Always something that needs to be done.

Our boss at the arena was furloughed last Friday. His boss called II yesterday to talk about when/if he would be able to work in July. He was already scheduled for Saturday. It will be interesting to see how many nights II is on the new schedule.

Have a good day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33643 on: July 01, 2020, 05:44:18 am »
    from reading her post, i'd say no....  the library is on 5th Ave and 42nd street, and she was far west of that.  Manhattan is some 2 miles wide at its widest point.  And in NY, avenues run north/south and streets run east/west and 5th Ave is the center avenue between east and west.

Edited to add:  she'll probably go near the library when going to the audiologist.  depending on what route she takes...

I looked at the Google map and couldn't tell if it was reasonable to think it was in walking distance.

Good morning - Happy July!?!?  78 heading to 94 or so. 
    Ginger got a clean bill of health yesterday.  Doctor says her teeth are in really good shape for a 4-year-old.  That's a relief.  I didn't have to worry about teeth so much with the kitties...
    Today's agenda includes trying to get all end-of-month/beginning-of-month tasks finished since I am taking Friday off.  Right now I am watching a file compress - connect to network with VPN - it is painfully slow.  And I don't dare do too many other things or I might mess it up and have to start over.

Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33644 on: July 01, 2020, 10:10:16 am »
    Good morning.  It is steamy hot here as well, but at least the rain has supposedly stopped for a few days. Our creek is way, WAY out and not going down very quickly, but no water in the basement via drain back up -- hallelujah!

MIL drove me to the grocery store early while it was still raining, very few people there so that was a great time to go.  Quite a few things on my "hope to find but has been out of stock a long time" list were there and everything else on my list was available (as long as I ignored prices) except chicken livers and most cleaning products.  I was in and out in about half an hour, even with lights going out in the store for about 2 minutes before their generators kicked in.  It was really dark in the middle of the store, lol.  I just stood there hanging on to my cart until the lights returned.  Such excitement for my July outing ...

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33645 on: July 01, 2020, 10:51:04 am »
    CNN has an article that the lions are wearing face masks.  That would be pretty cool to see.

'da NapCat

Offline telracs

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33646 on: July 01, 2020, 10:59:03 am »
    I looked at the Google map and couldn't tell if it was reasonable to think it was in walking distance.

depends on your definition of "reasonable".  from her place (around the corner from where I used to work), it's about 1.5 miles (that's as you walk, not as the crow flies), and back in the day i would consider that a reasonable walk.  these days, i would only do it if i needed to be somewhere in that area, as i think she will with the audiologist.

just had a thunderstorm here.  i would have gone to watch the lightning, but was on the phone with a friend whose birthday was yesterday.  we hadn't talked in a while, so it was a loooong conversation. 

wednesday is my do stuff on the computer day, and there is supposedly some pro-Palestinian gathering in my neighborhood this afternoon, so i am definitely staying in today.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33647 on: July 02, 2020, 02:38:29 am »

i didn't quite beat the rain today, got caught in a shower a couple of blocks from home. 

As Telracs said, I have not walked by the main Library. I had posted this to facebook:  https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/nypl-lions-patience-and-fortitude-are-now-wearing-masks-good-new-yorkers?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=shared_facebook&fbclid=IwAR0N8o8W59SjdbdJCFmHg-VsPGpKa73sleR-48oKJ_-hYjmnwPxayuVfFt4

That would be a nice goal for a walk though and with my new camera that I haven't taken out of the box yet!

My local branch of the NYPL is on 10th Avenue at 51st and there is another on Amsterdam near 65th (?) by Lincoln Center.

I had an appointment for audiologist Thursday afternoon, but they postponed me and called just before they closed Wednesday. I missed the call and the voicemail said that the doctor decided to take Thursday off and I could be in touch with them Monday to reschedule. I tried calling them back, but they must have been gone for the day. I wanted to reschedule right away. Now I want to find another place, something around here. It was scheduled by my insurance. Humana has a subcontractor TruHearing that takes care of the audiologist appointments. I searched a little while ago and found two places nearby but I don't know yet if they take my insurance. Since my plan is a PPO I should be able to see out of network providers, but if they don't want to see me . . .

I also had pain where some dental work was done and saw the dentist again Tuesday. He didn't see anything wrong (took an x-ray too). Surprised he didn't recommend something in addition to what I'm doing (Advil) to ease the pain. I asked if I should get Anbesol and he said no. I went to Rite-Aid Wednesday evening and bought Sensodyne toothpaste. It has already eased the pain so far. About 30 years ago another dentist suggested I use it but also just dab some on the sore or sensitive area. That is what I did after I got home with the stuff. I also stopped at Gristedes because they have Edy's ice cream this week for $5. I bought vanilla this time. And then I got a slice of pizza at Justino's to take home.

Now 70 degrees at 5:35AM with humidity in the 80s, going up to 91 degrees today.

Hope you all have a good and hassle-free kind of day.

New York, NY

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33648 on: July 02, 2020, 04:54:07 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently 69F and is expected to drop a couple more degrees in the hour before sunrise before climbing to 90F with intermittent clouds all day. It was cloudy yesterday with attempts at rain. It is definitely monsoon.

I still haven't gotten my monsoon garden planted so my current plan is to do that shortly after sunrise if I can't get back to sleep soon. ;)

The origami Zoom session went well with three different models taught by a couple of us. I have scheduled another session for next week and we hope to do this weekly. I plan to teach Michael LaFosse's F-14 Tomcat, a paper airplane that both flies and is recognizable.

In June, Max Hulme, a designer of origami since the 70s, passed away. When I was in high school I attempted to fold his famous Jack-in-the-box action model. I will attempt it again today or tomorrow.  Monday I attended a Facebook Live folding session where Nick Robinson, in the UK, taught a couple of Max Hulme's models.

Yesterday I went to my sister's house again, this time to work on her laptop while she was using mom's computer. Hopefully we now have both of them working reliably. Before driving back from Tucson, I stopped at Sprouts for items not available in Benson and also picked up 4 Mod pizzas.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 04:59:43 am by Annalog »

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33649 on: July 02, 2020, 05:51:21 am »
    Good morning.

We're at 75 today, heading to 91 with a heat advisory until 7 PM again. Thunderstorms possible this afternoon.

I got the mowing done yesterday. II did some trimming, but didn't try to overdo it. Says it felt good to be active.

Nice to have the washer draining normally and not have to stop and start during spin cycles.

Nothing particular on the agenda today.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement