Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1458574 times)  

Offline AllisonHarper

• USA
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #33800 on: July 30, 2020, 01:43:02 am »
Good morning! Happy Thursday to all!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33801 on: July 30, 2020, 05:42:49 am »
    Good morning.  The expectations are for it to be both cooler (staying in the high 70s) and drier here for the next few days.  I am looking forward to opening up the house to fresh air.

mlewis, I probably would have gotten a hammer out and just broken the plastic, screw on top of the Talenti! It has that plastic film after you get the top off, doesn't it?  You wouldn't have to worry about getting in plastic bits in the gelato. Then you have an excuse you eat the whole thing so you don't have to put some other covering on it when you're done. :D

telracs and I have seen and recognized each other at our current location of in Sane and waved across the way while being attended to by our virtual cabana boys.  ::)

Everyone stay safe, be well.

Online loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33802 on: July 30, 2020, 05:50:33 am »
    Good morning.

A high of 92 expected today with a mixture of sun and clouds with thunderstorms possible overnight. Yesterday's didn't amount to much. Highs after today are to be only in the 80s for the next several days.

Haircuts on the schedule for this morning. No definite plans after that.

We shouldn't have to go back to Trader Joe's for at least 3 weeks after yesterday's trip.

Sounds like they are starting to dig across the street for the sidewalk being put in. At least it isn't a day II will be trying to sleep.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33803 on: July 30, 2020, 06:44:01 am »
    Good morning.  It's a very muggy 74 here today.  We have only gotten a few little showers in the last few days - so I'm not sure where the moisture in the air is coming from.
    We ran errands yesterday to pick up a security camera and motion-light for the front of the garage.  Of course, now that means we ordered the items and went a waited in parking lots for someone to bring stuff out to us.  I could get used to this part - not a fan of crowds any way.  We decided that if an electrician was coming out for the smoke detectors we would have him install the camera and light.  Neither one of us wants to deal with mounting something on brick.
    Today is just meetings - not a fan.

Stay safe.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33804 on: July 30, 2020, 07:33:22 am »
    Good morning! It is a beautiful morning here early in the morning, heading up to low 90s in the afternoon. We have to get out a couple of times today. This morning I have an audiologist appointment while DH will go across the street to Kaiser for his blood labs. Later we have our regular Thursday CSA pickup.

I enjoyed reading the comments about smoke detectors. We have very high cathedral ceilings in the living room. Of course, that is where the smoke detector is that regularly beeps once/year. We are past the age where we should be getting up on ladders, and we don't have a ladder that tall anyway. Last time it happened we had to hire a handyman to change the battery. Ridiculous. Neighbors would be glad to help, but most are not much younger than we are, and accessibility to a ladder that tall is slim. The system is 6 years old and I want to change them all out, but leery of having anyone, including an electrician come into the house. I guess it will have to wait, and keep my fingers crossed that the battery lasts longer than COVID. What kind of recommendations have you had for new smoke detectors?

We start obedience training with 7 month old Jovi next week. Should be interesting.

Stay healthy and cool.   Jane
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33805 on: July 30, 2020, 08:46:43 am »
    Good Morning and Welcome to Allison !

Another day of 112+ in the Mojave desert.  I spent a good deal of yesterday working outside trying to track down my illusive low water pressure problem and am sore and tired today.  There is still a problem, but I have something workable for the time being.

Yeah NASA....Mars Rover is on its way.

I am on my way to "town" for essentials and hope to be back before the real heat sets in.

Keep Well, Happy and Safe
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33806 on: July 30, 2020, 12:25:58 pm »

mlewis, I probably would have gotten a hammer out and just broken the plastic, screw on top of the Talenti! It has that plastic film after you get the top off, doesn't it?  You wouldn't have to worry about getting in plastic bits in the gelato. Then you have an excuse you eat the whole thing so you don't have to put some other covering on it when you're done. :D

Crebel, I like the way you think!

It is 90 degrees here now. I got very little sleep (left the AC on but was uncomfortable anyway) and had a 2pm call with an advisor. I had John Lewis's funeral on the TV with the sound off and turned the sound on after the call was over. I was surprised that it was still on and thought it had started at 11am. I have recorded from 11a-1p but haven't looked at it. I have Mets baseball on now. Might have to take a nap.

Hope everyone is doing well today.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, Legal Services Professional
    Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33807 on: July 30, 2020, 02:40:39 pm »
    i agree with crebel.  just break the talenti jar and if there is any left over, put it in the box/container with the other ice cream you have.  i probably would not break the top, but would cut through the bottom of the container itself if possible. 

as mlewis has said, NYC is in a heat wave.  i did not leave the apartment (in fact barely left my bedroom) tuesday and wednesday.  today i had to go out and mail something, so i walked to the pizzeria, paid for my food in quarters and exchanged 40 dollars in coins for bills.  then i walked the long way home so that i managed to get 3000 steps in.

it's weird however.  today i did 3099 steps and it's calculating as 0.98 miles.  yesterday when i did 2851 steps, it says 1 mile.  why does my iPod want to confuse me?  with my minor need for order, i know that at some point tonight i will find myself pacing around the apartment so that i get it to read 1 mile. 

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #33808 on: July 30, 2020, 02:42:40 pm »
    Good afternoon from southern Arizona. It is sunny and hot, currently about 106. We were under a heat advisory but the temperatures are now dropping. It will be down to 102 by Saturday. :)

DH and I have been taking it easy the past few days due to the heat.

Hope your day is wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33809 on: July 30, 2020, 10:03:14 pm »
    Thursday Talenti responded to my message on facebook. They said they were sorry that I couldn't open the container and asked me to give them the bar code #, the name of the store and the sell by date and my address. I tried again before I responded to them with the information. I couldn't turn it and once again ran the top under warm or hot water and then I opened it. I told them that I opened it but that I'd given it a good try the night before. Maybe they will send me a coupon for a free or discounted one.

This evening I went out around 10pm, since I had not been out all day. Bought blueberries, raspberries, ginger and cherries at a street produce vendor on Broadway and 63rd Street. Broadway was closed to vehicles, because they were paving the uptown side. On the way home I stopped at CVS and bought a container of Edy's chocolate chip mint. I've been noticing lately that some stores sell certain flavors for $1.20 less (vanilla, for example). There was no sale on Edy's, but I got 35% off with coupon they'd sent me online. The store was nice and empty, almost 11pm. I saw the deli cat on the way home (she was inside the closed deli) and the palm reader's cat. On my block there is the deli, barber shop and palm reader are in a row one after the other. The rest of the block is all residential and there are apartments over those businesses.

We have been promised by weathermen that the heat wave will break and the high on Friday will be 81 in New York City. Supposed to be good for a week.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33810 on: July 31, 2020, 04:19:34 am »
    Good morning.  The forecasters were correct on temperatures staying in the 70s yesterday, but they were wrong about the drier part, it rained off and on all day and evening.  I'll look out the windows later to see what is true for today ...

I'm trying a new creation for an eat-with-your-hands dessert tonight.  It's basically making a no-bake cheesecake filling, putting it in an eggroll wrapper, fry it and dust with powdered sugar when cooled.  Any toppings you like can be served on the side for dipping.  I thought it sounded easy and fun (and I have all ingredients without a trip to the store).

Online loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33811 on: July 31, 2020, 05:53:06 am »
    Good morning.

One weather app says thunderstorms possible for most of the day; another says only at certain times. I'll definitely be just looking out the window to see what is happening as the day goes by.

II working 3-11 today and tomorrow. The person scheduled for tomorrow has been exposed to Covid-19 so others are filling in for him. A little concerning although the last time the other guy worked was last Sunday. II always disinfects the office when he gets there. Don't know yet how many days will be added to II's schedule for the next couple of weeks.

I'm thinking I might do some food prep while he is at work one of the two days. Other option is some cleaning projects. There is never a shortage of things to be done, just motivation to do them sometimes.

Hope your Friday is a good one. Stay safe.

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33812 on: July 31, 2020, 06:00:33 am »
    Happy Friday!  It's 79 and very humid here right now.  All of my devices claim that we will have thunderstorms this afternoon - they just don't agree on the timing or the percent possibility...
    The electrician comes out this afternoon to do the smoke detectors and add stuff to the front of the garage.  Do electricians work outside if it's raining?  If it's a thunderstorm?  I guess I will find out.
    Oh - I got a curveball thrown at me yesterday.  Apparently somebody has decided that maybe we should do our August Commission Meeting partly remote, but allow people to still come in to the building for their presentations if they want.  I have no idea how something like that would work and we have less than a month to figure it out.  I also don't want to be up there if we are letting a bunch of people in - honestly - things are worse now than they were in May.  Why would you want folks in person?

Other than that - nothing new going on here.
    Stay safe.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33813 on: July 31, 2020, 09:47:53 am »
    Good Morning....goodness, not only Friday, but the end of July also !

Another desert day with temperatures over 112 on queue.

I have already done my necessary outdoor chores (bird feeders, watering, etc)  The rest of the day I am going "where no one has gone before"....my office desk drawers....gasp

I had a productive trip to town yesterday.   Fairly light traffic going down, gas is $ 2.15/gallon.  I stopped at Home Depot....signs EVERYWHERE that masks MUST be worn. CVS texted while I was driving down that prescriptions were ready, which was great, saving a trip.  The grocery store was uneventful and I was home by noon.

Hope everyone has something special planned for the weekend.

Be Happy and Be Safe, My Friends
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33814 on: July 31, 2020, 01:38:17 pm »
    we had a thunderstorm at 1 AM that had me in the living room watching sheet lightning for an hour.   and then i just decided to start my swagbucks day (they are on pacific time, so the switch over to the new day is 3 AM my time) and ended up staying up all night and going to bed at 7:30.

so now i am very confused and just want to go back to sleep for a whole day.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33815 on: July 31, 2020, 08:15:45 pm »
    Good evening from southern Arizona. It got up to 106F today and it is currently down to 94F with a low of 72F in the morning.

I will be teaching origami in a Zoom meeting tomorrow. Then we will be packing for a two day trip to visit our daughter and granddaughters.

Online loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33816 on: August 01, 2020, 05:40:03 am »
    Good morning.

72 degrees heading to 86 with a mix of clouds and sun expected today. No rain in the forecast and highs in the 80s for the next 7 days or so.

II working 3-11 again today. He is on the schedule to work 14 days through early September. It has been quite a while since he worked 4 days in one week as he will next week. Oh well, a little extra income shouldn't hurt anything.

I made lemon poppy seed muffins yesterday afternoon so breakfast will be easy this morning. Going to do a couple of other food things this afternoon, but anything else that gets done will be decided just before I do it.

Hope your weekend is a little bit different than the rest of the week. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33817 on: August 01, 2020, 09:04:51 am »
    Good morning.  I'm too lazy today to listen to or look up the weather forecast.  It appears to be sunny.

I'm watching the Food Network shows this morning and hoping for some inspiration.  The cheesecake eggrolls last night were excellent and only took about 15 minutes to complete.  10/10, will make again.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33818 on: August 01, 2020, 09:36:47 am »
    Good Morning

We hit 121 degrees yesterday and could again today...it is hard to love the desert when this happens.  I always wonder how the early pioneers crossed this land back in the day...I  think I will ponder this further from my air conditioned house.

Keep Well and Safe.  Hope everyone finds something special to do this weekend.
    'da NapCat

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33819 on: August 02, 2020, 01:14:36 am »
    I had a strange day on Saturday. The super called after 11am and I did not pick up. Forgot to turn off the ringer when I went to bed a few hours earlier. I called him back much later on. I kept dreaming or was half asleep thinking his last name. Weird. He said that 4C next door had bedbugs, had their apartment treated for it but the place is coming back Tuesday morning to inspect it and they want to look at my apartment.  Yuck. I have not seen or felt any indication of bedbugs. Been lax with housecleaning though and no one comes by normally. I did some super cleaning in the bedroom this evening. It knocked me out. Mostly swiffering and using wet wipes to go over the floor and other surfaces. Before that I vacuumed the carpet in living room with small shop vac. Just don't feel like taking out the big vacuum.

Thinking that  should pull out the sofa in the living room tomorrow and clean behind it. Haven't done it in some years.

When I had a mouse two years ago, I was afraid to move the sofa because I had the idea he was living back there. He'd come out from that side of the room and run across to the other then run along the brick wall. I told the super I didn't think there were any bugs, except for one waterbug (yuck again) the other night that walked onto a sticky trap -- DEAD. I had run after it but was too slow and after a few minutes he walked on the sticky trap. Super said "that's different." I keep two sticky traps flat on the floor on the windows side, just in case of a mouse (mice). The last time I saw the one two years ago (who stayed for months) i had an encounter after I sprayed peppermint spray near baseboards. While I did that it ran out from the side of the stove and I went after him with the peppermint spray. Never saw him again, so I think he left. A friend told me if there is one that there are more, but I'd only seen one. I had also set regular traps and didn't catch it (had the sticky ones made into little boxes, and that's no good, they hop over them). Exterminator came and set up new traps that it never went into, but by that time I never saw it again.

In addition to this stress, I saw a link to two NY Times stories in May about rats. One was about an increase in rats all over the country going after each other because their restaurant garbage was not available. They might have just attacked the garbage in front of residences. My super told me there was much more garbage and recycling during these months. The other rat article was about NYC. I already knew that they are everywhere here if you go out walking at 1am (which I no longer do since retirement) and particularly in the subway.

Last night I had some of the Talenti gelato that I wrote about a few days ago and it was delicious. Belgian Chocolate.

If you got this far, thank you and I'm sorry about all the gross. I write things here that I would never write on facebook!  Have a good Sunday. Storms are predicted here.
    New York, NY

Online loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33820 on: August 02, 2020, 05:57:44 am »
    Good morning.

65 degrees heading to a high of 88 with mostly sunny skies.

They started building a house more than 18 months ago that is visible out my kitchen window. Work on it has been sporadic to say the least. Nothing but foundation for months, then finally walls, and eventually windows and doors were installed. Then, no activity for months again. I noticed there were workers there yesterday, but apparently most of the time I looked out the window yesterday, all I looked at were my bird feeders. This morning I noticed brick had been installed, at least on the side facing me. Can't believe I didn't notice either the workers or the results of their labor at some point yesterday.

Nothing specific in our plans today. May go for a drive to see a new building downtown II has mentioned. I don't think I've been that direction since the last time I went to the arena in March. I think the building is a hotel - at least if I understood the location correctly. Also, even with the trips we do make for groceries, allergy shots, etc. I don't think we get out for a change of scenery as much as maybe we should.

Hope your Sunday is a peaceful one. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33821 on: August 02, 2020, 06:07:24 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

Mlewis, I understand about writing here what I would never write on Facebook! (Corrected darn Autocorrect.)

We got up early as we will spend today driving a loop around 2/3 of the eastern half of Arizona picking up and delivering stuff for family because we have a pickup truck. :D

We wanted to leave extra early but were delayed by over 45 minutes because I couldn't find my glasses. DH was busy tearing the bedroom apart when I stopped looking to feed the cats. I decided to check the my desk in the library.  That is where I found them! I am very nearsighted and apparently took them off to crop a photo before sending it. Since it was nighttime and I was tired, I then just went to bed.  Silly Anna!

UPDATE: We walk out the door and I glance at the garden wondering if I should turn on the water as we had a storm last night. I guess lots of wind and not much rain as the PVC box frame we made came apart and collapsed. Fortunately the wall of luffa plants fell toward the walkway and not on top of the two tomato plants. We removed framework pieces over the tomatoes, staked tomatoes,  and left it at that. The luffa plants are fine and we can reassemble when we get back. The bees were happily pollinating the flowers.  :D
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:18:00 am by Annalog »

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33822 on: August 02, 2020, 08:56:03 am »
    Good Morning

We only reached a brisk 114 yesterday...should be about the same today.  It was delightful on the deck predawn in the 70s.  I am still attempting to clean/reorganize my office, but it is slow going (no need for rush, I suppose).  I have been fortunate to have had some fascinating careers with adventures around the world, so that room is full of so many memories.

Hope everyone is having a restful Sunday.

mlewis: Thanks for sharing your apartment safari and wildlife tour !!
    'da NapCat

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33823 on: August 02, 2020, 10:48:46 pm »
    Hi and good morning.

I did not pull the sofa out. Got up so late and used the exercise bike and soon after went to the market (Morton Williams on 9th) to get some necessities. I seem to run out of bottled lemon juice a lot these days. I watched Perry Mason. I'm in the homestretch of a book about my father's WWII fighter group (359th in Europe). Going to go read now.

In our area we are anticipating the arrival of tropical storm Isaia (how did they pick that name and the pronunciation on the TV had me stunned). Expecting it early Tuesday, just before the bedbug man comes (from my previous post and I don't see or feel any!) It was quite humid and hot Sunday evening but below 90.

Have a good day
    New York, NY

Online loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33824 on: August 03, 2020, 05:47:51 am »
    Good morning.

It appears another pleasant day is in store with sunny skies and a high in the 80s. Almost unheard of in Arkansas in August.

I was awake around 3 and couldn't get back to sleep so came out to the couch and read awhile. Was up for about an hour and a half, went back to bed and went right back to sleep until my normal rising time. I was hungry so ate some protein and drank a little water. Don't know if that was the problem causing the wakefulness or not, but I'm suspicious it was.

I need birdseed so I think we're headed to TSC today. II mentioned he really wanted to go someplace and just look around a bit so decided that might be the easiest/safest place to go. Now all I have to do is hope the seed is in stock.

They dug out for the sidewalk across the street yesterday. We're figuring they'll be here this morning to put forms in and will be pouring concrete today or tomorrow. Hopefully they get some of it done today as II will be sleeping in tomorrow morning.

Hope your week gets off to a good start. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement