Kindle Forum banner

The Good Morning Thread

2M views 36K replies 570 participants last post by  *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) 
#1 ·
A thread just to say hello and good morning.

Rainy and miserable here in Maine today. The wind is howling! 39 degrees...at least it isn't snow.

L

See less See more
#33,861 ·
Andra said:
Good morning. I am at the office today and it is messing up my routine...
86 in Austin right now.
I am getting things together to go down the hall to our meeting room and run cables all over the place - should be fun.
Any word from crebel? I saw something about massive wind storms in Iowa in the news.

Stay safe.
Thanks Andra, I haven't been posting much because of my ongoing crummy attitude. :-*

The derecho storm that tore through much of Iowa yesterday missed our town by about 15 miles to the north. We had a downpour and some thunder, but not the winds here. Hundreds of thousands still without power, buildings literally blown apart, 100 year trees uprooted, roofs gone, semis overturned, etc. across the middle of the state. Thankfully no injuries are being reported!

My sister in Des Moines had her power restored after 15 hours. 100 mph winds were recorded at the airport a half mile from her house. She said she has never been so terrified, even during tornados. My other sister is still without power and likely not to get it back for another 24-48 hours. My mother's power flickered but never went out in her suburb, but they did have to spend several hours in the first floor hallway of her senior's building.

I feel really bad for the folks who are going to lose everything in their freezers that tried to stock up before running out of money from losing their jobs and avoiding going to the grocery stores because of Covid. :'(

#33,863 ·
Hi a little earlier than usual. Going to get to bed soon for a change.

Had a visit with cardiologist for an ecocardiogram and visit with the doctor. While waiting for the doctor I caught up on reading email, and there was a disturbing one from the someone in the management of our building. It think that was the reason that my BP was much higher than usual. The top number was in 160s and when the doctor took it again later it was in the 150s. It is usually about 128 / 70. I walked over to Broadway afterwards and bought blueberries, strawberries and cherries and some bread from Breads Bakery. It seemed so nice out, not as hot as expected, but the thunder started and on the way home it rained hard. I had no umbrella, but the baseball cap helped a lot and it was too warm out to get chilled. It never rained or stormed again after I got home.

The building sent around the inspector with the bedbug dog again early this morning. Woke me up at 9. The dog sniffed around (same one with different person -- the husband of the previous one) and they took longer, but he did not find anything. If there had been a bedbug, he would have "sat down." I asked to be sure and it was OK. I thought that was the end of that. I could not go to sleep after that and my alarm was set for noon for my doctor visit.

Then the email was that this Saturday, they are going to have "preventive" treatment against bedbugs in every apartment. I hope they get 4C again since their problem is what started this. We won't have to wash clothes, but we have to put all clothing into plastic bags (from closet and drawers, pull out all furniture and vacuum very thoroughly, including behind everything and be out of there for four hours. They want us to take down any wall hangings and clean there too. I don't remember everything they want but it's going to be a lot of work. I emailed them back and said "this sounds more like you think someone has bedbug and want to treat it rather than a preventive.

I will look preventive treatments up online. I also asked where we would put all the plastic bags full of stuff and where are we supposed to go for four hours if it's 90 degrees out and/or stormy? We can't go anywhere and be inside, except for essential stores and we aren't going to hang out in a store for hours. They did not answer that one. They said plastic bags would remain inside apartment. I also asked how we prevent theft, since we have to go out for 4 hours? They did not answer that either.

I emailed a neighbor who is a few floors down from the 4C people. She had not told me she got the same inspections. She did and she will have to do all this too and she's been here as long as I have and has a roommate. She did not know about 4C and thanked me for the info and then realized that since she is also in a C apartment it made sense to stop the spread. So could it be that 4C's treatment didn't take?

I am looking forward to when this is all completed, say by Sunday when I put everything back in its place. i think there will be a lot of junk downstairs from people sorting out clutter. Whenever we saw a lot of stuff downstairs and outside during the pandemic it was usually about someone moving out. There have been at least 3 who have moved out and some new people have moved in. I've been seeing several dining chairs that were put out front of the building. I have a large mirror on a wall between two windows that I am not going to move. If I do, it may never get back in place. One of my brothers put it up for me and he's not around any more.

I thought my brother in GA was having his hip replacement today (8/12) but after I didn't hear from him for a while and told him so by email, he let me know that he was pre-occupied about it but that it will be on 8/18 next week. He is 73.

Oh, i did it again: wrote a lot of words.

Enjoy your day.

#33,864 ·
Good morning.

mlewis, sometimes it feels good to write a lot of words. Glad you feel comfortable doing it here.

Our expected high will only be 81. Supposed to be rainy off and on with the possibility of thunderstorms. It isn't currently raining, but it sure is dark out at the moment. Had a short spell of rain yesterday afternoon that did drop the temperature so the evening was pleasant.

Nothing on our agenda today. If the rain isn't heavy I imagine II will spend some time out in his shop.

Hope your day is a good one. Stay safe.

#33,865 ·
Good morning.  76 here to start the day.  Something is setting my allergies off pretty bad this week.  I have the itchy eyes and the stuffy nose and the tickle in the back of my throat that says "you might lose your voice in the next day or two."  I wonder if it's because I had to go to office yesterday? 

mlewis, that does sound like an awful lot of work and a plan that hasn't been thought out all the way.  Sounds more reactive than proactive.  I hope everything gets sorted out.  I guess libraries are still closed so that won't help.

How can my pup have four different hidden treat dispensers in this house?  I can't find a single one of them.  I don't know where she has carried them off...  Guess that's the project for lunchtime - look under all the furniture and in all the corners.

Stay safe.

#33,866 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona.

I have an appointment to donate blood to the Red Cross later this morning.  I will check with my sister to see if she wants anything from the JoAnn's near the donation center. Afterwards I will stop at my sister's house to drop off some stuff that I have got her, inclusive doggy blankets I made for the dog she is dog sitting.  These blankets are my first free motion quilting experiments. Tons of mistakes but the doggy won't care. ;D

Update: I posted photos of the dog blanket online and a friend requested one. I will be stopping at Walmart to get a few more of those fleece throws at $2.50 each. I can make two small dog blankets out of each fleece throw. I will be getting a lot of practice in free motion quilting! ;)

Hope your day is wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

#33,867 ·
Good Morning

The weather was perfect last night/this morning for watching the Perseid Meteor Shower which was a great show. After "the show" I made a nice breakfast which I ate outside , I did a couple of light chores (paid bills, straightened out a coffee order snafu, vacuumed, etc ) and now headed for "NAP #1"...

Crebel: With what is going on in the world, a crummy attitude once in a while may be healthy venting.
Mlewis: Your adventures with bedbugs sounds awful and very intrusive to your privacy.

Keep well everyone/Keep safe

#33,868 ·
mlewis...  if you are ever near the maison kayser by columbus circle, think of me and my yen for their white chocolate bread and other stuff.  i miss them and paris baguette, there aren't any near me.  however, there seems to be one of each near the endocrinologist so i might try and stop off there on friday.

it's hot and humid here today and i'm in a bad mood, so i just want to curl back up in bed.

#33,869 ·
Good morning.

I got to bed earlier last night. Stopped reading and turned off light at 2am. Plan to get to bed by 3 (in an hour). While I didn't do as much as planned today, I did go through papers and recycled much of it. Cleaned one shelf of the bathroom cabinet, which is not part of the prep for Saturday AM invasion of the exterminator and my expulsion from the building for 4 hours. Every apartment is getting it. Tomorrow I will buy a lot of giant clear recycling bags to use for the clothes. I checked with Bed Bath and they have them. Might stop at a hardware store first to see if they have them. I went to Westerly Market today for more wipes and peanut butter.

It was so humid tonight when I went out after 9. Walked in the street several times because of the people out there heading towards me, some without masks.  We had T-storms this afternoon and there may be more Thursday afternoon.  i was just thinking today about last year when it would storm and I would wonder whether I could get to the pool to swim. Usually if I went, it was OK and didn't storm again. Now all the health clubs are still closed. We don't know when they will open. They were originally part of Phase 4 which I think we are in, but then it was thought too risky. I saw on my Citizen app last night that the Covid cases are up  now -- not enough for the politicians to mention it though.

Hope you all have a good day.

#33,870 ·
Good morning.

68 degrees heading to 92 with thunderstorms possible overnight. Hopefully I'll sleep right through them.

II working 11-7 tonight. Guess he'll have fun watching the lightning on the security cameras.

Discovered we didn't have a couple of items II likes to have around to pack in his lunches so scheduled a small pickup order for Walmart later today. I am still uncomfortable going in for just a few items, but it still feels odd to have someone else do the shopping for no more than a dozen items. New virus cases in the state seem to be decreasing, but there are still enough new ones in our county each day that I feel the need to continue to be cautious. Dreading school starting next week. 

Decided to go with breakfast for dinner today. Always seems a good idea to me and since it will be II's first meal of the day, sorta seems logical.

Enjoy your Thursday. Stay safe.

#33,871 ·
Good Morning

Nice cool morning with a few clouds, making for a colorful sunrise. Looks like a warming trend for the next week or so....Hopefully this will be the last "heat wave" of the season and we can start opening up the gardens again.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe

DEATH TO BEDBUGS !!

#33,872 ·
Good morning.  Sounds like our weather is much the same as others; hot, humid, possible thunderstorms.

DH took me to Walmart yesterday for monthly grocery shopping.  It was not crowded, social distancing was pretty good and mask usage was definitely the majority ("naked" noses are still pretty common, though).  That made me feel better about being in there for an hour. I too dread the start of school with our community spread creeping up again.  I just hate this wait-and-see-everything's-fine attitude.  The Big 10 cancelled fall football, but high school football is a go.  :-X

Walking from groceries to the personal care aisles we passed the women's sleepwear section.  DH noticed a pair of SLOTH jammies in my size and put them in the cart since I have talked about sloths being my spirit animal after the start of all this mess.  ;D  They are cute and comfortable, and it was fun that he saw them.  Most things were in stock except cleaning products, but I did get the last package of paper plates! I was also excited to get fresh plums, peaches, and a papaya!

Everyone stay safe, be well.

#33,873 ·
well, i did the stupid last night.  i started watching star trek discovery, then switched to Enterprise and then to Next Gen.  next thing i knew, there was sunlight in the window and it was 8 am.....

i have to get myself together, since i actually have to be somewhere at a certain time tomorrow.  not used to that.... and hoping that the rain doesn't come in while i'm out.

#33,875 ·
I could not sleep (about 4 or 5am) this morning. I'd just finished my book and was not thinking about the book. Ended up getting up at 3pm. My big plan was to buy huge transparent bags.

Went to Bed Bath where they had them but I had to ask for see-through ones. Told the man about the "bedbug prevention" coming up Saturday. He thought these were too much for me to pay for for that purpose and suggested I buy them in a supermarket and they would cost less. The thing about this is that NYC supermarkets do not carry things that they don't sell a lot of. They don't have the space. I bought some other things in Bed Bath. Went to CVS and Morton Williams, but their largest plastic bags were kitchen size.

A few hours after I got home, I started vacuuming and pulling out furniture. I even managed to move the sofabed, which is very heavy. It had been years. It wasn't as bad as I expected though. Lots of dust on the back of the sofa and some on the wall and floor. There were a few old magazines -- Cat Fancy (which I have not bought since not having cats any longer) and LL Bean catalogs. I vaccumed back there, then used swiffer and went over it with a wet rag and soap. Moved the sofa back but not all the way because they told us to leave furniture pulled out.

I noticed in Bed Bath that they have made more space and don't have quite as much merchandise in the centers of floors. Part of the anti-covid spreading measures. They were not crowded and no one was in front of me when I went to pay. That is very unusual.

I still have a lot yet to do Friday with this project but felt that I'd accomplished a lot.

At Morton Williams they had Edy's ice cream 2 for $7. I bought one. Now my freezer is the fullest it has ever been. There is one Edy's container that has little left in it. I took out a slice of pizza just before I got home, first in about a month.

It was humid Thursday but otherwise very comfortable for walking. The toughest thing was breathing (with a mask).

Hope Friday is good to you.

#33,876 ·
Happy Friday!
76 heading to 104 this afternoon.  I hope I can convince Ginger that running around in the yard when it's that hot is a bad idea. 
I am rearranging my office at home this morning to get a fan plugged in closer to me.  I have one in each corner of the room basically to keep the air moving (plus a ceiling fan), but I'm too cheap to keep the AC kicked way down just so it's cold over here.  If I get a fan that blows right on me that will work.
Hopefully the other thing for work today is checking stuff off my lists.  I need to get some more tests scheduled before our meeting.  I've been procrastinating since management keeps changing things.  I think we have some solid decisions now so it's safe(ish) to proceed.
Have a great day.
Stay safe.

#33,877 ·
Good morning.

When I awoke the air had that eerie green tinge and I thought, oh no, I don't remember the last time I saw the air this color. It didn't last very long but it did get darker than it was when I got up. Some thunderstorms in the area, but rainfall has been fairly gentle and we haven't had the wind that was possible. II said he was over halfway home before he ran into rain. The lights did flicker once as I was fixing breakfast. The eggs were done, but I hadn't heated the tortillas yet. Guess we would have eaten breakfast burrito filling by itself if the power had gone out. Most of the storm was to go to the south of us, but it is still quite dark out and it is still raining. Supposed to be gone by 10 AM.

II will sleep for awhile this morning. Meals are leftover pizza fixed as a panini on the Griddler and already prepared filling for chicken fajitas. Should be an easy day for food prep.

Easy pickup from Walmart yesterday. I also stopped at the produce cart, but it was late enough in the day not everything I wanted was available. Oh well, it gives me a reason to get out another day and I do feel I should get out and drive somewhere on a regular basis.

Hope you have something slightly different planned for the weekend. Enjoy today. Stay safe.

#33,878 ·
Good Morning

Yesterday stayed cloudy and cool, so I spent some time outside planning a major project I was going to do when things cooled off. In my investigation, I solved the problem ! Needless to say I am disgustingly pleased with myself !! The heat is back today, hitting 100 before 9:00. I have a baby roadrunner that came right over to me, (Mamma did NOT like that at all !!) Cooper Hawks are circling the bird feeds.

Happy Friday....I hope some fun, but safe, weekend plans are in the making.

#33,879 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona.  (Well, it was morning when I started typing.  ;) )

Wednesday when I went to the Red Cross my pulse was a bitt to fast. Then my recent episode that was possibly atrial fibrillation resulted in a six month deferral from donating blood. Now I need to make an appointment with my cardiologist, if he is still around.

Thursday morning we drove to Gilbert to pick up our truck with its rebuild transmission. On the way home, we stopped at mom's house, soon tobe our nephew's house, to pick up the old porch deck to take ho.e to be turned inot our front porch.  Today we picked up the rest of the wood for the porch.
a lot of practice in free motion quilting! ;)

Hope your day is wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

#33,880 ·
today was a big adventure!  first time on the subway since February.  got to the station and there was a train in 1 minute, but when i swiped my fare card it was expired, so i ended up missing that train while exchanging the card.

ten minutes sitting on a stifling hot platform (my train is underground) with a mask on and sweat streaming into my eyes was not my idea of fun.  train itself was fine, people sitting far away from each other and cool.

i had left a ridiculous amount of time to get downtown, so i sat on the courthouse steps for a while watching idiot children (and one idiot adult) skateboarding and trying to skateboard on the steps.  finally had enough and started walking around the area.  one of the bakeries i wanted to go to was closed, and the other was crowded, so i just walked around the residential area before circling back to my new doctor's office.

after the appointment i was still antsy and didn't want to get back on the train/mask up again, so i decided to walk to trader joe's.  well, i didn't get in, the line was around the block, so i walked to whole foods which was not crowded, but doesn't have all the stuff i like.  i DID go to the vegan burger place and also picked up some empanadas.

train delays on the way home meant another 10 minutes standing on a hot platform.  i was so sick of the whole thing that i got off a stop early and walked home.

all told, i did 4.5 miles.  and the tech did such a nice job pulling my blood that i can't even see where she poked me.