Kindle Forum banner

The Good Morning Thread

2M views 36K replies 570 participants last post by  *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) 
#1 ·
A thread just to say hello and good morning.

Rainy and miserable here in Maine today. The wind is howling! 39 degrees...at least it isn't snow.

L

See less See more
#33,881 ·
Good morning.

We'll be a little warmer today with an expected high of 95 and abundant sunshine. We received a little over quarter of an inch of rain during yesterday morning's storm, but other parts of the state got a lot more. We never did have any heavy rainfall or the wind that had been forecast.

Baking bread is supposed to be on my agenda for today. I found a recipe that hopefully will be similar to the kind we buy that has nuts on the outside as well as baked into the bread. I was going to make it last weekend, but Kroger didn't have sunflower seeds. Walmart had them so will see how it goes today.

Otherwise, no specific plans. I know II is feeling much better because he spent time in his shop yesterday. It had been a long time since he went out there after working the night before.

Hope your weekend is going well. Stay safe.

#33,882 ·
Good Morning

We hit 115 yesterday and may go higher today. I went to the Post Office yesterday to pick up my coffee order. On the other side of the valley was a wall of dust that almost looked like a range fire. Turned out this weekend is of one of the off road races. Starts just north of Vegas goes to Carson City and back. Very high dollar equipment and extremely well organized....How they stand the heat, I will never know. Skies will be hazy this weekend from disturbed dust.

With heat and dust, I will stay inside after moving some hoses to sensitive trees. Think I will make a plate of finger food and curl up with an old, non violent, non vulgar movie. (African Queen ?)

Hope everyone has a good weekend.....Be safe my friends.

Telracs: Congratulations on your adventures....The last couple of times I was in Manhattan the subway cars and platforms were so crowded with people pushing each other that I was imagining keeping distance now would be difficult...Sounds like it was not too bad. Be Safe

#33,883 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona.

Glad that you survived your adventures, telracs!

I ate lunch food for breakfast this morning. When we were getting ready to drive to Chandler Thursday morning, we were delayed by about an hour cleaning up about 5 gallons of water from the kitchen floor and the bottom of the freezer. The ice maker had sprung a leak. Fortunately, all the food in the freezer was still frozen solid. We turned off the water to the house and left. After we got back home we were able to turn off just the water line to the freezer. Our goal is to eat as much food from the freezer as possible before DH attempts to fix the ice maker. We finished the ice cream last night! ;) Lots of vegetables, food in meal prep containers, and a couple Mod pizzas on the menu for the next few days.

I will be teaching a couple classic origami models in today's origami Zoom meeting. :)

Hope your day is wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

#33,884 ·
NapCat (retired) said:
Telracs: Congratulations on your adventures....The last couple of times I was in Manhattan the subway cars and platforms were so crowded with people pushing each other that I was imagining keeping distance now would be difficult...Sounds like it was not too bad. Be Safe
believe me, i was worried about crowding. i made sure my appointment was for an off-hour time, and that i was headed home pre-rush hour. the platforms all had decals on the floor showing the 6 feet distance, and most people seemed to recognize how to sit apart or stand apart if the only seats were too close to people.

only ones not being good were a couple of teenage girls who sat down together between two other people.

it looks like it was nice weather here today, but i don't seem to do good the day after a long walk and am just zoning. and of course, tomorrow shows rain. but Monday looks nice, so i will do a grocery run then.

#33,885 ·
The exterminator (for "bedbug prevention treatment") came this morning 2-1/4 hours late. If I had only known, I could have gotten 2 more hours of sleep.  I finished bagging clothing from closet, dresser and platform bed drawers at 3am. Went to bed at 3:30 and set alarm for 6:30 because there were a few more things to do -- strip the bed and see if there was anything that needed cleaning on the platform under the mattress.

The instructions had said not to be in there during the treatment and stay out for 4 hours. This added lots of planning, what to take,  and be ready to leave. I asked him about it and he said I could safely stay inside and I did. Spent a lot of time putting things back from those bags. It's a bit of a walk from the living room to bedroom. I hope that I never have to do this again and I thought it was a waste of my time and energy. The man said my apartment was clean. That's what the dog said -- twice in a week. I don't usually use the word hoax, but this was a hoax. Now I have a lot of clear plastic bags and will use them whenever I take out garbage and recycling. I threw out two black garbage bags full of stuff, but when I was putting clothes back in place, it was too much.

Hope you have a great day. I just hope to get out for a walk, drop off laundry, play the flute.

#33,886 ·
Good morning.

mlewis, hope today goes much better for you. I'd be treating myself to something really decadent after that experience.

An expected high of 92 today. I keep telling myself the yard needs mowing, but I don't think I've convinced myself today's the day it gets done. Guess we'll see after breakfast.

Otherwise, the normal Sunday - reading newspapers and talking to our oldest and doing whatever else we find interesting.

Have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

#33,887 ·
Good Morning

We hit 117 degrees yesterday and it was still 100 at midnight with no wind. Could be hotter today. I have lots of food and cool water out for all the critters. I feel for the parts of California that will have rolling power outages today.

Have a restful Sunday and be safe

#33,888 ·
Good morning.  Much milder temperatures and humidity here today which are expected to continue for the next week.  A blessing for the tens of thousands throughout the state who still do not have electricity after last week's derecho storm.

mlewis, I imagine not having to leave your apartment during the treatment was a big plus.  I know it was a pain in the arse for you to pack up and unpack everything, but bed bugs are insidious, evil little creatures and if they were in the building, I would be very pleased management was being proactive to treat even the clean apartments.  The other plus is the amount of exercise you got just doing the work to get ready and then putting everything back!  AND your apartment got an extra deep clean as well!!  Many brownie points for you!  :D

Speaking of brownies ... pretty sure that's now on my agenda for the day.  Our son made his first attempt at beef pho from scratch and stopped by long enough yesterday to bring us his broth and all the additions which we will have today.  I have the broth reheating in a small crockpot now and it smells wonderful.  He said he and his wife were very pleased with the end results.

Everyone stay safe, be well.

#33,889 ·

I went on a 3+ mile walk this morning in preparation for the 5 mile race next Sunday. Last night my daughter reminded me that Run with the Roosters is only a week away. NAU changed my granddaughter's move in time to the afternoon of Friday before the race. My granddaughter also has a remote class that morning so my daughter and granddaughter will be leaving their house in central Arizona as soon as the class ends to drive to northern Arizona and hopefully arrive just before check in time. My daughter will spend the night at a place in Flagstaff and leave after breakfast to arrive in Tucson mid afternoon for check-in to a hotel where we will spend the night before the race. Tomorrow I will drive to Tucson to pick up our race bibs. Because of the added safety precautions for this in person race, there will be NO registration or bib pick up at the race. There will be race wardens to make sure everyone follows the safety precautions. I am looking forward to this race and hope it goes well.

Hope your day is wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

#33,890 ·
A way too early good morning from SE Iowa.

Napcat, I'm hearing on the early national weather that temperatures are expected to be 130 in Death Valley today!  :eek: :eek: :eek:  Is your cooling system able to mitigate that to somewhat tolerable?

I never did get around to making brownies yesterday and I'm not making any promises for today.  Even though days of the week are blending into each other these days, my system still manages to recognize Mondays as a do-as-little-as-possible day.  ::) I'll stay busy and worn out vicariously just reading Anna's schedule.

Stay safe, be well.

#33,891 ·
Good morning.

63 heading to 93 then we'll be slightly cooler for a few days.

Mowing accomplished yesterday but not by me. II did almost all of it with me doing the trimming. And he still had some energy when he finished. I really don't remember the last time he mowed that much of the yard. Not being in constant pain from the shoulder is really beginning to make a difference, and that doesn't take into consideration the other issues experience this summer that seem to be resolved.

My bread baking Saturday was disappointing and I'm not exactly sure why. It was more like a quick bread than bread that could be toasted or used in a sandwich. I'll keep looking at recipes until I find another one I'd like to try.

II working 3-11 today and Thursday. And I somehow did not have it in my head he is working 7-11 Friday. I'll have to do a slight re-figuring of meals is all. I haven't decided just which chore I'll tackle while he is at work tonight.

NapCat, stay cool.

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start. Stay safe.

#33,892 ·
Well, it's still morning here - so Good morning.  I am at the office today and tomorrow finishing up the hardware setup for our meeting next week.  Today I've had fun trying to troubleshoot my bluetooth headset.  I usually have static when I'm at home and a restart tends to fix things.  Today I had two headsets that were full of static when I tried to use MS Teams.  I could listen to music just fine - Microsoft hates me.  So I got it working with a wired headset, but I hate it.  There is not enough padding on the earpads to make wearing it comfortable for long periods of time.  I have a Jabra for my phone and it does something weird where the base connects to the computer with a USB cable and then the wireless headset talks to the base.  It's still not as good as my big headset, but it will do.  Hopefully once I move my computer down the hall to the meeting room things will straighten out.

mlewis - glad you made it through the weekend.  It was good that you didn't have to leave.

Anna's schedule does leave me tired - and I'm still working.

Stay safe everybody.

#33,893 ·

Good Morning from the Lighthouse Ranch where our overnight LOW was 97! I would not be surprised if we top 120 here and yes Death Valley recorded 130 yesterday. Surface temperatures can be well over 160. When I set my place up over 20 years ago I installed an A/C unit with twice the capacity required. Also I had it serviced last week.....so I practically have light coating of frost on my furniture !!

Obviously, me and the cats are laying low....

Hope everyone's week is off to a great and safe start.

#33,894 ·
Good . . . early evening.

I am starting to feel more normal today. I was very sore for two days in the back knees and feet from the bagging and carrying bags (the apartment is long and I took things from the bedroom to the living room) first one way and after the exterminator visit taking them back and hanging up and putting into drawers. I was somewhat mentally traumatized too. Didn't do my happy things while preparing for this. I started using the Lifecycle again on Sunday and again today. Dropped off laundry Sunday and picked up today. On the way into the building someone was moving into the building. Moving van outside and one moving man and the new neighbor. Spoke with him but didn't get his name He asked what apartment I'm in. Seemed nice. I probably won't run into him much. He's on the 2nd floor in the front.

It was only 70 degrees Sunday and cloudy. It rained but when I went out it wasn't. It got down to 66 this early AM. 77 now and nice breeze. Cool enough to have AC off, windows open (fans on). I am listening to the Cicadas that only appear and make their noise in August. They just started a few days ago.

I started thinking about making a hair cut appointment. Not sure if it is wise. The salon I went to does distancing and masks. It's been six months since my last one.

Enjoy the rest of the day/evening!

#33,895 ·
Good evening from southern Arizona.

I drove to Tucson, as planned, after breakfast with DH. Since he was driving to Ace Hardware in Benson and I was driving to Tucson, breakfast was in the parking lot at McDonald's, after which we drove our separate ways. (DH actually likes those McGriddle breakfast sandwiches with round egg substituted for the folded egg. I get sausage burritos without the tortillas which is essentially scrambled eggs with sausage and salsa.)

After picking up the race bibs at Fleet Feet (and buying a couple pair of Balega Hidden Comfort socks and some packets of huma energy gels), I drove to Sprouts for food items that I cannot get in Benson, and then JoAnn's to buy some fabric with koalas on it to make a birthday present for my sister. While there, the "buy two, get one free" sale on quilting rulers resulted in me getting rulers (8.5" square with internal 4.5" square, 6" 60° triangle, and Quilt Sense Wonder Triangles), the 40 and 50 percent off coupons resulted in a pack of machine quilting needles and a set of tube turners. I ate lunch from a drive thru in Tucson.

After I got home, I spent most of the rest of the day in my craft room with a short break to hold wood for DH who is building a front porch from Mom's old back porch.

Dinner will be something out of the freezer.

I keep reading that my schedule is exhausting! I do very little involved cooking (except on rare meal prep days) or cleaning. DH does most of the cleaning as a holdover from my full-time working days. Both of us spend most of our time doing the "fun stuff," so it doesn't feel exhausting!  ;D

Hope your days are wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

#33,896 ·
Good morning.

A pleasant 66 this morning and we're to stay in the 80s for the next few days.

A trip to Fresh Market in the plans for this morning. We do go through a lot of chicken, it seems. There are a few other things we like from there so will stock up on some of those. Getting there will be interesting for the next couple of years, however, as construction has begun on some major changes to the street it is on. There is a way to come in from the back of the shopping center. I figure I will be using that access point as will a whole lot of other people, I imagine.

I finished everything I had planned for yesterday. Now to keep the momentum going on some projects around the house, not just giving it a lick and a promise.

Have a good Tuesday. Stay safe.

#33,897 ·
Good morning.  Beautiful weather here in SE Iowa and it's nice having the house opened up.

One-third of the state is still in horrible condition after the derecho storm.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more national coverage, it's like a stage II hurricane landed and moved across the middle third of the state. There are still more than 100,000 homes which have been without electricity for over a week.  Much of one of our larger cities, Cedar Rapids, has been destroyed.  Our governor finally requested a federal disaster declaration just yesterday and, so far, it sounds like all that is going to be approved is money to farmers, no individual relief.  As I type this a short story did just cross on a major cable news station, I guess because the president has said he will visit some time today. /end of today's rant on one more major sucky thing of 2020.

Be well, stay safe.

#33,898 ·

Crebel, it sounds like the relief effort is dreadful. I hope that it changes for the better.

Here, the main items on the agenda are bill paying and laundry.

Hope your days are wonderful. Have fun safely and be excellent to each other.

#33,899 ·
Good morning.  I am in the office again today.  Hopefully it is the last day this week.  The network guys just traced out the problem with one of the network jacks that I was trying to use in my meeting room.  It worked fine in May, but sometime since then it got unplugged somehow.  No one will admit to doing it...  But I don't care - It works!
Now to finish the updates on the laptops, and then I can go home for the day.
It's hot.
Nothing else is new.
Stay safe.

#33,900 ·
Good Morning

I set a speed record this morning.....the cats were worried that we were low on milk and made me go to town....Left home at 5:30 AM and was back by 8:30 AM...so much haze and smoke you cannot even see the local mountains. Gas is $2.09/gallon. The supermarket was empty....maybe 5-6 people shopping and the staff had the place looking pristine !! I scampered back home in plenty of time for "First Nap". Another hot day on queue.

Crebel: FEMA declared Iowa's disaster overnight (which means Trump approved it) Should be for both PA & IA (Public Assistance and Individual Assistance.