Kindle Forum banner

The Good Morning Thread

2M views 36K replies 570 participants last post by  *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) 
#1 ·
A thread just to say hello and good morning.

Rainy and miserable here in Maine today. The wind is howling! 39 degrees...at least it isn't snow.

L

See less See more
#34,001 ·
my sister was scheduled for surgery at 10 am, but apparently they didn't take her until after 2 PM, so i spent most of my day watching food network and doing my steps around the apartment. 

i enjoyed the cinnamon dark chocolate ice cream and was a bad girl and ate the whole pint.  then i started not feeling well, so i went to bed around 9:30, and found myself up at 3 am.... 

so i'm swagbucking for a bit, then going back to bed.  i am planning to go down to the pier around 6 PM to watch the sunset and wait for the Twin Tower lights.

#34,002 ·
Good morning.

A somber day for multiple reasons this year as we remember the past and are concerned about the future.

Warm weather continuing here with an expected high of 90.

II working 3-11 tonight so I plan on spending some time in the kitchen adding to the stash of prepared food in the freezer.

Stay safe.

#34,003 ·
Good morning.  "A somber day for multiple reasons this year as we remember the past and are concerned about the future." What a perfect sentiment, LL, thank you. 

In particular I am holding telracs in my heart today in remembrance of her brother, a first responder lost in NYC on 9-11.

Stay safe, be well.

#34,004 ·
I had intended to look out for the two columns of light downtown this evening when I did some errands, but I forgot and then remembered when I saw them on TV later. I took pictures of them after work in 2016 from Wall Street.

Telracs, if you are reading, hope you are well. I did not realize that you lost your brother on that day 19 years ago. I am sorry.

Hope you all are safe and well. Wishing Oregon and northern CA people well. A friend who lives in Portland wore a heavy mask inside yesterday.

#34,006 ·
G'Morning from the center of the country. Bit foggy this morning. Praying [emoji120][emoji120] hard the "spotty drizzle may occur" in the forecast would turn into moderate rain showers throughout the day but alas fearing that won't be the case. Things are way too dry here and beans and corn need the rain to fill. But this is 2020 so won't likely get any rain till the monsoons hit at harvest time..... [emoji2371]

Be blessed everybody
And remember: Today is a Good Day for a Good Day!

#34,008 ·
thanks all for the good wishes.  i was off line most of yesterday.

i walked down to the water.  to be clear, when i say the water, i mean the verrazano narrows strait between brooklyn and staten island.  the belt parkway runs along the narrows, and there is a park on one side of the parkway and a path on the side near the water.  there are ways to cross the highway about every 1/2 mile, so once on the path, you are kind of stuck.  i am at the lower end of the path, but i walk up to a further entrance then walk back down to end up by a pier (google bay ridge ferry for photos) where there was a memorial ceremony last night.  i didn't stay for the whole thing, as it got really cold when the sun went down. 

#34,009 ·
Telracs, I will look up that area online. I think I have seen pictures of benches near the V-N bridge, but it's been a while.

Talk about twists and turns: I tripped while crossing my street on the way to going to laundromat with cart to pick up laundry. I didn't get there and I called and had it delivered. Last time I tripped and hurt myself was 3 years ago later this month. This could have been much worse than it was. I think the cart must have hit my heel, but it happened so fast that I didn't know what happened. I was face down on the ground, glasses knocked off. Two men helped me up and stayed with me until I got my bearings and my shoe back on. They told me my nose was cut near the top and I was bleeding. I went right back home and cleaned up. Lots of blood. Cut on the nose, bleeding out of the nose (I'm not accustomed to having a bloody nose). Also hit my better knee (the left) and left hand (it's good now), got a scrape near left shoulder.

I put ice on everything that was affected. Put a band-aid across my nose so that I wouldn't touch it or look at it any more. My eyeglasses have a lot of scratching on them. Looks like lenses have to be replaced. Luckily I have another pair, same progressives prescription in rimless frames, and I use various eyeglasses at home -- readers and separate computer glasses. The ones I scratched were my favorites but not the most expensive (rimless ones are).

I was lying down for over an hour, reading, then got up and had some food, listened to Traditions in Swing (a re-run on WKCR Columbia U. -- during covid crisis they are all re-runs because no one has been going in to the station); my cousin Bev in San Francisco called me and we talked a long time. Been watching Peaky Blinders. Going to stop after this 2nd episode of the night. It's very violent. Will go to sleep soon, I hope.

Bev lives in the Tenderloin neighbohood. She said that last Wednesday she was woken up by a phone call and looked at the clock. 10:00. She thought it was night because it was so dark inside and out. It was effect of the fires. She said it was better the next day and improving since then. Worse in Oregon. My friend Emily told me tonight that she has stayed in (Portland) since Thursday.

Weather is beautiful here, cooler than usual, and my plans to walk by the Hudson were squashed. Maybe tomorrow, but I'm not pushing at anything for a few days.

One more thing. It's 9/13. My late brother Paul's birthday who died in 2016. He would be 71 but left this world at age 66.

Hope everyone stays well and that Sunday is good for you.

#34,011 ·
mlewis, be careful and take it easy for a bit.  as LL says, falls are scary.  they are even scarier now.....

i did 5 miles today.  i walked along one of the avenues (one that is mostly residential) for 2 miles to get to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and then walked back along the pathway.  i will admit that i stopped a couple of times and sat and read for a bit (short stories come in handy that way).

#34,012 ·
I only walked half a mile. Went out to buy diet soda and get cash back at CVS and then a bottle of wine. I passed by the spot where I fell yesterday. My nose feels better, but I woke up with it stuffy and blew it more than usual today. I am glad that no one can see this and that I wear a mask outside. It felt good being out walking on the way to the stores. It was heavy to carry back though.

I had told a friend last night about the falling and today her sister in San Francisco fell but said it wasn't too bad. She was at a farmer's market. Both of them were in touch with me today to check on me.

My left hand has been swollen. There isn't anything I can't do with it, but it is not good to put weight on it.

Take care everyone.

#34,013 ·
Good morning.

We're to have highs only in the 80s this week with lows dropping down into the 50s by the end of the week. At least I hope this week's forecast turns out to be accurate.

I have finally started walking again each day. Distance varies and due to dogs attacking me at the deputies house the other night, I only go one direction from the house on the new sidewalk. The dogs frequently escape the fenced yard and I have encountered them in our yard before with no problems. But they did not like me walking by their territory. One jumped on me, apparently managed to tear a hole in my shorts with a toenail, and leave a scratch. Probably should have called the police, but at the time did not want to escalate any issues. (They also park across the sidewalk which may have contributed to my surprising the dogs.) We talked to our city councilman who has complained to the owner about the dogs before. Not sure he can accomplish anything, but he will try. We do have a leash law, but hard to enforce with just a small police force. Dogs running loose are not really much of a problem most of the time except for these two. Anyway, for the moment I don't walk past that house, but others do so something really needs to be done. May just start calling the non-emergency police number every time we see them out. At least that way there would be a record of how often they get out. We have a 6 foot privacy fence because we couldn't keep the poodle from jumping the four foot chain link to chase the neighbor's cats.

Enough about my little woes. Nothing that can't be avoided for now.

Nothing specific planned for today. May clean the full view storm door. I was noticing how dirty it is while watching a walking stick insect that stayed on it for most of Saturday and decided I shouldn't ignore it much longer.

Hope your week gets off to a good start, knowing that isn't going to happen for some. Stay safe.

#34,014 ·
Good morning.  Our weather has returned to lovely with sunshine most of the day and temperatures in the high 70s. We do have fog today that should go off fairly quickly.  Smoke from the west coast fires is showing up even here, though.

DH took me for a big grocery trip yesterday, most everything I wanted was in stock and Holiday Grapes were here already!!!  That really made me happy, they are particularly sweet and juicy this year and I will gorge on them as long as they are available.  Definitely worth a masked pandemic trip!

I needed to get shampoo yesterday as the kind I have been using a long while is no longer available, even through Amazon.  I spent a fair amount of time trying to read labels and find something comparable at the grocery store.  Then, when I took a shower last night, I discovered I purchased a conditioner, not shampoo. Sigh, thanks crummy eyesight and not asking DH to help ...

Yikes on avoiding aggressive dogs, LL, is there an animal control office you can call?.  I do hope something can be done before anyone gets seriously hurt.  mlewis, keep being good to yourself, I'm glad you were not badly hurt in your fall.

Stay as safe as you can, be well.

#34,015 ·
Thanks, Crebel, for your concern.

I slept during the day (as usual but longer). Used the exercise bike for 30 minutes and later took a walk to Whole Foods for groceries. I realized while putting things away that I probably buy too much. I found a bag of cherries in the refrigerator and had to toss them. Bad smell. Must have bought them a month ago at an outdoor produce vendor.

I didn't notice my left knee is bruised until today. It doesn't hurt much as long as I don't touch it. I am using some ice on it.

I know someone in the Poconos, eastern PA, who wrote on facebook that they were starting to get the smoke from western fires. I wonder if that is true. She's about a two-hour car ride from us on the east coast.

It is 59 degrees at 2am and going down to 55 by dawn. High tomorrow should be 69. This is quite cool for us in September. When I was growing up in New Jersey it was like this. Now it it often like summer until October. I think it will get hot again. Hope you are all well and enjoy Tuesday.

#34,016 ·
Good morning.

68 degrees heading to 88 with a slight chance of isolated thundershowers. Not bad for September 15.

A trip to TSC to pickup birdseed and suet cakes today. I must admit I am enjoying pickup orders for the bags of sunflower seeds. But I am having to drive to the North Little Rock store this time as neither of the stores closer to me had the seeds in stock. But, I haven't driven that direction since the last time I went to the arena in March so it will be nice to see the few changes along the route II has spoken of. As things built up in the western part of Little Rock, then our county, we seldom head to the areas we used to frequent to shop.

All of II's shifts this week are 11-7 with the first one tonight. I'll make my trip while he is sleeping, but there isn't any point in leaving too early or I would have traffic to contend with going and coming back.

Hope you find some joy in the day. Stay safe.

#34,017 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona.

MLewis, I hope you heal quickly from your injuries. Falling is no fun. Continue taking good care of yourself.

LL, glad you only had a scratch and torn shorts but mad that people let their dogs be a danger to others.  Glad that you are being careful to avoid them.

DH and I are driving to Tucson today to help my nephew and family move the rest of the stuff out of Mom's house,  soon to be his house. The remodeling has gotten to the point where there is no water, no electricity,  and, in some places, no walls or ceilings. We will have a busy two days.

Stay safe, everyone!

#34,018 ·
afternoon.  it's cool here today, so i'm thinking about another trek to the water and some brief grocery shopping.

mlewis, i understand about buying too much.  i stack stuff in my fridge by expiration date so that i use older stuff first and still end up skirting some expiration dates....

#34,019 ·
Thanks, Annabelle. I'm feeling better today than yesterday. Took my first substantial walk after I used the exercise bike. I walked to the park on the Hudson and took a lot of pictures. Some are not pretty, because of the haze from the western fires. I heard about it on TV but when I my view out my windows was sunny. Went out with my sunglasses on, but it was hazy, didn't see any sunshine. Couldn't see the sun until I got to the Westside Highway.

I took my Nikon out for only the 2nd time. Couldn't stop taking pics, starting with the sun disc that was almost all the way down. It disappeared before the official sunset time, at least 15 minutes. I took a lot of flash pics.

I saw the deli cat on my block on the way home. Have I mentioned this adorable little gray tabby? First I saw one of the deli owners outside. He knew that I'd been looking in almost every day to see the cat if she was out. While we were talking, the cat came outside. I never get great pictures of her, because it's hard for me to get down to her level. Cats always move on me when I think I'm about to get a good shot. While we were talking, the cat came over and stood right next to my legs. Closest yet. Found out her name is Tiger.

Hope everyone is well, stays well and that you enjoy Wednesday, which starts in 4 minutes.