Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1515097 times)  

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #34025 on: September 18, 2020, 05:33:43 am »
Good morning.

66 degrees this morning and a low of 57 forecast for tomorrow morning. Is September weather on the way finally?

II working tonight and tomorrow night. So sleeping late this morning, then most of the day tomorrow are his plans. I'll find something to keep myself occupied, I'm sure, but I think the mowing will wait until tomorrow.

Yesterday's bread baking was a success. I don't think I need to make any more tweaks to the recipe. Of course, success leads to me going back to making a lot of our bread.

Hope you have some special plans for the weekend. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34026 on: September 18, 2020, 10:18:38 pm »
    Good morning.

I stayed in today. Looked like a nice, sunny day with a high of 70 or 69. It may go down to 49 overnight.

I used the exercise bike today. I was planning to get out to Rite Aid, but after I heard the news that Ruth Bader Ginsberg died, I was feeling even more tired than when I'd gotten up. Just managed to get in a little flute practice.

Thursday I took a walk to a different part of the Hudson River, at 44th Street, This is one pier next to the Intrepid (which is Pier 86). I went to Pier 84. Just below that pier is the Circle Line Pier 83. It was nice to see a different place. This pier was redesigned and renovated about 15 years ago. it's not as nice as Riverside Park South. Glad I got to see something different. They have a boathouse there with kayaks. People were using the stand-up paddle ones in the cove between Pier 84 and 86, with the Intrepid right there

The Intrepid and its museum have been closed for months, but it is re-opening on the 25th. The size of it when standing on shore near it is awesome and a bit overwhelming for me. It has a lot of planes (looks like fighter planes to me) on it.

The weather was cloudy for that walk and I decided not to take the Nikon but took phone photos. This link should go to a video of the water fountain, the kind that kids can play in on hot days:
    https://www.facebook.com/marti.lewis/videos/10224251835149546

On the way to 12th Avenue in the West 50s, I walked through DeWitt Clinton Park, which has a large green athletic field. This was an exercise class:
    https://www.facebook.com/marti.lewis/videos/10224251807028843

Still photos from Pier 84:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224251871990467&set=pcb.10224251875910565

One more video of the water, kayaks in the distance and the Intrepid:
    https://www.facebook.com/marti.lewis/videos/10224251951912465

I would like to explore some of the other piers along the Hudson. The next ones south of this are near 23rd Street and Chelsea piers.

When I finished and it was starting to get dark, I walked on 42nd Street past some relatively new high rises. On 11th Avenue I went to the Gotham West food hall. Rest rooms! Bought a slice of pizza and ate at one of the outdoor tables. It was easy to keep a distance there. After that I walked on West 46th over to 10th Avenue and down to 43rd to walk past my health club, which is still closed. Strange to see the entrance all dark. They have not announced a re-opening date, but it may be next week. A local magazine 42St.com wrote this week that it opens next week. The pool will not open, so I will freeze my membership. There will be no classes, jacuzzi or steam room open.

From there my walk was just like my post-swim walks home -- over to 9th Avenue and up to 56th St. There were a lot of open restaurants with outdoor tables.

Hope you all stay well and have an enjoyable Saturday.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34027 on: September 19, 2020, 05:30:52 am »
    Good morning. It is 67 here right now and I am actually a little chilly. I am sitting down at the mailbox hoping to get my mom's packages from the mailman. She lives in the country so if stuff doesn't fit in the box we have to go to town and pick it up. But the post office is closed on Saturday...
    I've had a pretty good week. But I had a crown come off yesterday and that has messed with my mood. Fortunately there is no pain, but I am worried about whether it can be fixed. So I kept waking up last night from dental nightmares.
    We have another storm threatening the Texas coast. It is still too early to tell where Beta is going. But I think a good chunk of the coast is in for a significant amount of rain.
    Hope you are all well. Stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34028 on: September 19, 2020, 07:14:31 am »
    Good morning.

mlewis, I do enjoy the walking tours of your city. I think one of the things I miss about working at the arena is the people watching.

67 degrees here this morning also and our high will be in the 70s. No excuse for not getting the mowing done. Still doesn't mean it will happen.

Hope you got your packages, Andra and your vacation time was enjoyable.

II works again tonight. The interstate through downtown Little Rock is going to be redone. Closings of roads, bicycle paths, and parking lots begins today. Some exits will be closed starting next week and be closed for at least a year. I think the time frame to complete all work is 4 years or so. Getting to the arena will become a challenge. Coming home probably won't require as much of a change in the route. Not sure what it will be like for attendees if the arena does ever get to start having shows again. Not much of the public is really in favor of the redesign the highway department chose, but it appears all attempts to stop it have been denied by the courts. Thus, fun time driving in parts of our state for a while. So glad I'm not still commuting on a daily basis.

Hope you are enjoying your day. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34029 on: September 20, 2020, 02:27:13 am »
    I fell in the living room Saturday 2AM. I was cleaning up some lint on the carpet and was suddenly down. Hands and knees. Decided to wait a few minutes to get up but then had to get up so I dragged myself over to the sofa (could not put weight on my right hand).

I went to ER Saturday around 8pm and got the hand and wrist x-rayed. I have a wrist fracture, not dislocated. They put a splint on it. Had to wait quite a while to be released. Left at 11:20. It was strange walking outside after the restaurants had to close (11). Reminded me of the lockdown in the early months of the pandemic. I stopped at CVS. They did not have the waterproof cover for my arm that I need for taking a shower. Will look online. I managed to buy and carry milk, bottle of soda and an Edy's ice cream home. I won't have to go out tomorrow unless I can figure where they have the splint cover.

In texts with my brother Stan and his kids (nephew John's birthday was then 19th --he is 38) I learned that Stan's Oleta fell on the carpet in her living room and the floor hit her face. I did that outside one week ago.

Very cool here. It was 59 at 8pm. Colder now. Hope you enjoy Sunday.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34030 on: September 20, 2020, 06:37:53 am »
    mlewis - be careful and take care of yourself.

Good morning.

Pleasantly cool this morning with a temp of 57 or so. We'll be back up in the 80s this afternoon.

Mowing accomplished yesterday. It wasn't too bad since it only warmed up to 77 yesterday.

Nothing going on here today. II will sleep for a while this morning and we've already decided on getting takeout from Tacos for Life for one of our meals today. The other one will be something out of the freezer and heated in the air fryer.
    I heated waffles I had previously frozen for breakfast. Some days I am rather lazy when it comes to cooking.

I'm working on figuring out an inventory system for the freezer and pantry.Maybe that will then push me into being more disciplined when it comes to meal planning. At least, one can dream they will improve.

Hope you have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34031 on: September 21, 2020, 05:41:30 am »
    Good morning.

We have rain in the forecast starting tonight and continuing for the next couple of days, but nothing like the amounts those to the southwest of us will be getting. Looking forward to the cooler temps.

Busy week as II has 2 doctor's appointments, works 2 shifts and we both have haircuts scheduled. I'll be manning the home fires, cleaning, cooking, etc.

Take care, everyone. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34032 on: September 21, 2020, 07:21:50 am »
    Good morning. Wet weather here in Dewitt county courtesy of Tropical Storm Beta. We are staying put for the day and I am going to start packing up a little. We are scheduled to drive home Friday, but that may change after I talk to the dentist's office today.
    Stay safe everybody.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34033 on: September 21, 2020, 12:36:41 pm »
    Mlewis! Sorry to hear about your fall! I hope it wasn't your dominant hand. Isn't it amazing how we can hurt ourselves in our own homes? Take care!

I wish you folks would send your rain out to Oregon. We got just enough last week to clear the smoke away from where I live, but not enough to get us out of the Extreme Fire Danger category (so we can mow our field). It's just been awful out here with the smoke. And add in the people who decided to fly drones up to see if there was really was fire. Which grounded the firefighting copters and planes.

Hope you all are keeping of good cheer.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34034 on: September 21, 2020, 09:40:51 pm »
    Thanks for the good wishes. I got out today and did some short errands. 1st one was to buy bottle of wine 2 blocks away and bring it home (priorities!). Tben I went to CVS, where I got an easy-open cap for a scrip that I could no longer open (who promoted the childproof caps?). I got a few things at Morton Williams and headed home. Can only carry a little.

Feeling pretty good on the sofa with two extra pillows to elevate my hand.

Stay well, don't fall, and have a good Tuesday.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34035 on: September 22, 2020, 05:47:10 am »
    Good morning.

A couple of rainy days in store for us. Not unusual for September and the amounts predicted are minimal compared to what the hurricanes have brought to other areas.

Allergy shot day and II sees our PCP this afternoon. Probably not going to get much else done today. Sort of wore myself out yesterday mopping floors and other housework.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34036 on: September 22, 2020, 07:40:59 pm »
    Good evening from southern Arizona. DH and I just got home after being gone for two days driving around the state on family errands. Glad to be home. Going to sleep soon.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34037 on: September 23, 2020, 05:41:37 am »
    Anna, hope you got some rest.

Good morning.

Rainy and in the 60s at the moment with not much change in the temperature forecast for the day. Not sure how much rain we've gotten yet. Haven't been willing to traipse out to the rain gauge.

Haircuts and bringing lunch home are the only plans we have for today. We lead such boring lives, it seems.

Have a good day. Stay safe.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34038 on: September 23, 2020, 08:20:10 pm »
    Mlewis, glad you DO have your priorities in place. When I broke my ankle the urgent care doc wouldn't give me pain pills (?) so I went home and polished off a bottle of Scotch.

Waiting and hoping for rain here in Central Oregon. Cooling down and quite windy, but going to be in low 80's early next week.

Stay safe everyone!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34039 on: September 23, 2020, 10:27:30 pm »
    Loonlover, I am thinking about getting a haircut. Just an inch or two would make my showers and hair washing easier. I have to wear a plastic bag-like thing on my arm to keep the splint and bandages dry.

I had a nice walk over to Clinton Cove park on the Hudson just as the sun was setting. This is a grassy park between 55th-57th Streets. I thought it was gone earlier this summer when I saw a santitation structure around 58tn St. I couldn't see the park. I did not take my Nikon. Too bad, because my phone kept saying it was full, even though I deleted a lot of podcasts and almost all photos. I deleted more and it seemed to work. I took at least 10 pics. When I tried to see them, they were not there. Will take the Nikon next time. Clinton Cove is part of Hudson River Park. 

On the way home I managed to buy and carry a big bottle of soda and a slice of pizza.

Weather was warmer, good for wearing shorts and tank top. It was like summer again, about 80 degrees.

Hope this is a good day for you.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34040 on: September 24, 2020, 05:42:38 am »
    Good morning.

As I was reading the weather widget stating a low chance of rain today (10%), I heard raindrops hitting the roof. Still hearing it intermittently, but hoping it ends soon. Yesterday afternoon we could tell there was over 2 inches in the gauge, but not sure how much might have fallen after that. Neither one of us was interested in actually going out to check the amount.

II working 11-7 tonight so I guess I'll do a produce run while he sleeps in. Don't really need anything but the produce, but still haven't made a decision on where I'm going.

mlewis, it is amazing how getting a haircut after months improves one's outlook. Who knew something so basic would be missed so much. We felt secure going for haircuts fairly soon after barber shops were allowed to open as our barber is a one-person shop, she follows all the protocols the state health dept. laid out, and most of her clientele are of an age demographic to be as cautious as we are. Our son on Long Island said he finally got a haircut a couple of weeks ago. He had been hesitant prior to that.

I, too hope this is a good day for everyone. Stay safe.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34041 on: September 24, 2020, 10:10:26 am »
    Wow. There are small puddles of water on the driveway this morning, so it must have rained at some point last night. We need much much more.

I have finally decided, well about a week ago, to not follow the news anymore. It was all taking a bad toll on my mental health. I know it's something I should be doing but at this point I feel that all I can do is vote. At least the baseball playoffs start next week, such as they are!

Hope you all stay well and safe today.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34042 on: September 25, 2020, 06:32:03 am »
    Good morning.

We'll be a little warmer today with an expected high of 79. Still cloudy but supposedly very little chance of rain.

II has a follow-up appointment with the cardiologist this morning. We believe it will be a routine visit. Since he worked last night the worst thing about it may be trying to stay awake.

Hope you have something planned for the weekend so it isn't just exactly like a weekday. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34043 on: September 25, 2020, 08:23:27 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

We didn't rest on Wednesday. Instead we drove to Tucson in the pickup to take old furniture to Benson for donation or disposal. That first trip was box springs, mattress, and bed frame. These ended up at the Benson Transfer Station instead of a Tucson landfill for several reasons, primarily due to the ability to separate based on recycling options, but it was also less expensive and a nicer experience. On the second trip to Tucson I drove my car and DH drove the pickup. I filled my car with the smaller items for donation and the pickup was filled with bedroom furniture for donation. We arrived back at Benson after the donation places were closed. However, my sister's large covered back patio is now cleared and will be ready for a very small outdoor birthday party for one of her granddaughters. My sister has made masks with mermaids for the girls who will be in attendance, her four granddaughters and one guest, and a mask with something else on it for her grandson. We will not attend.

We were going to take the furniture for donation yesterday but DH woke up with a pain in his abdomen on the right side. This was followed by dry heaves and loose stools. We knew it couldn't be appendicitis as DH hasn't had an appendix for over 56 years. I phoned his doctor's office and was able to get a morning appointment. About an hour later, his symptoms were gone in time to go to the appointment. We learned that it was not likely to be diverticulitis due to his relatively recent colonoscopy. We also learned that pain for that is usually on the left side. This made DH relax as both his father and an uncle had serious issues with diverticulitis. The diagnosis was a delayed stress reaction due to issues that occurred on Tuesday. DH was given instructions to follow to improve his gut health. Some of these have matched what my daughter and I have been telling him for awhile. This time he is paying attention. ;) He took it easy the rest of the day while I picked up a probiotic and some recommended foods for DH.

This morning, after breakfast, I will be driving to Tucson to pick up my race bib and state park parking pass for my race on Sunday. DH hopes to get the furniture delivered as it has been sitting in the pickup for awhile. I hope to get to spend some time in my craft room sewing. I have a couple masks to make and a Halloween pillow cover to assemble.

Tomorrow I will be driving to Tucson in order to spend the night on the futon in my sister's sewing room in order to drive to the Everyone Runs 5 mile trail race at Catalina State Park. I want to be parked by 6 AM. The race starts at 6:35 with a wave of 12 runners starting every minute. My wave starts at 6:44. There are only two waves after mine. All participants are required to wear a mask except while on the trails. I will be wearing a mask on the trails as well, only removing it when I am drinking water or eating. I will be taking at least 6 masks so that I can change masks when they get damp. I will be walking and expect to finish after at least half of the 10 mile runners have passed me on their second lap. I know that the area will look different from previous years due to the fire this year that went from one end of the Catalina mountain range to the other.

May your day be full of wonder. Be excellent to each other. Stay safe and healthy.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34044 on: September 26, 2020, 05:24:50 am »
    Good morning.

Foggy here and 55 degrees.

Expected results from the cardiologist. Another visit in 3 months and II should be able to quit taking the blood thinner after that.

Still deciding what project we might get around to doing today.

Hope your Saturday is a good one. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34045 on: September 26, 2020, 07:29:29 am »
    Good morning!
    We are back home after vacation. Tasks for the next two days include unpacking, laundry, and grocery shopping.
    It was 67 the furst time Ginger got me up and it is only 70 now. If the mosquitoes were not so bad it would be really nice outside.
    Hope everyone is well. Has anyone heard fron napcat?

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #34046 on: September 26, 2020, 09:55:54 am »
    Good morning and happy Saturday! Fall weather is returning this week. Walnuts have started falling and some leaves are changing. I've decorated the house and am trying to get everything organized for winter.

Offline *Sandy Harper*

• View Profile
      • "Cash at Home Series"
    « Reply #34047 on: September 26, 2020, 12:41:30 pm »
    Good morning. Weather is not bad but fires on west coast are causing pollution worst than big cities in China and India....

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34048 on: September 27, 2020, 05:40:07 am »
    Good morning.

Foggy at 55 this morning and heading to a high of 84 with rain expected overnight. I imagine I'll sleep through that.

Bread baking on the agenda for today. Otherwise, no specific plans.

Hope you have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34049 on: September 27, 2020, 07:07:59 am »
    Good morning.  It is currently a cloudy 64 degrees here which will be our high for the day. Some rain showers are expected this afternoon and temperatures falling into the 40s.  Fall is definitely here, leaves are changing color and lots of leaves on the ground already! I'm hoping rain does not stop our chance to see our grandson from afar playing football this afternoon.

Nothing new happening, hanging in there.  Everyone stay safe, be well.

eta:  Silly me, football games don't get cancelled or postponed unless there is lightening!  We sat in pouring, COLD rain for 2 hours to see our grandson on the field.  At least umbrellas created social distancing that may not have been there otherwise.  My jeans were absolutely soaked when we returned to the car.  All better now; home, hot shower, warm jammies, tomato soup and grilled cheese.
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:07:11 pm by crebel »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement