Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1514048 times)  

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #34050 on: September 28, 2020, 05:52:25 am »
Good morning.  It was 62 and windy when I got up.  I actually had to put a jacket in the car.  I am at the office today playing catch up after two weeks of vacation.  I am already tired...
We are supposed to get colder tonight with lows in the 50s and highs in the 80s most of the week.  For this part of Texas that counts as fall weather :)

I hope you all have a wonderful week.  Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34051 on: September 28, 2020, 07:19:25 am »
    Good morning.

We were at 58 degrees this morning and heading to a high of 72. Sunny skies forecast for most of the week after a few raindrops fell overnight.

II working this afternoon. Dinner in the crock pot; now I need to make the bread I didn't get around to making yesterday.

Hope your day is a good one. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34052 on: September 28, 2020, 08:06:48 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

I slept in a bit on Saturday. While I was packing for the overnight stay at my sister's house before the early morning trail race Sunday morning, I remembered that I had promised to teach a recently learned model for our Saturday origami Zoom meeting. I rushed to create a scheduled Zoom meeting so that I could send it in an email to the group. I also notified the group via Messenger. It was only 2 hours until the meeting. I got my 12 sheets of paper needed and started folding about half of the units and assembling part of the modular cube so that I could be sure that I taught it properly. I phoned my sister to let her know that I would arrive later than planned. I ate a late lunch and finished it a few minutes before the meeting was to start. The zoom meeting went well and we had fun. After finishing my packing, I left for my sister's house and arrived in time to share dinner.

I was up before 4 AM Sunday morning in order to arrive at Catalina State Park early enough to be sure I would be able to park in the area near the race start/finish line. The 10 mile runner waves started at 6 AM. The 5 mile runner waves started at 6:35 AM to give the 10 mile runners time to complete the birding loop of the trail course so that there would be no crowding on the course. My wave of 12 runners started at 6:44 AM. I ran for about 50 yards before I started walking. I know that this particular trail has sections that my knee does not like so I wasn't going to put any unnecessary stress on my knee. I was slower than all of the 5 mile runners and finished after all of the 10 mile runners as well! I did run the last 30 yards to cross the finish line. :) Since there were only three runners in in my age/gender category in attendance at this race, I earned a 3rd place award in that category.  ;D I had a wonderful time!

I drove home and took a 2 hour nap.  :) After my nap, I hobbled to the craft room to do some sewing. I stopped hobbling by the end of the day.  ;D

More sewing is on today's agenda.  ;)

May your day be full of wonder. Be excellent to each other. Stay safe and healthy.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34053 on: September 28, 2020, 11:42:53 pm »
    Good morning. 70 here now and going up to 75 during the day. It feels like summer for a few days now. Still wearing shorts and sleeveless top for walks. Using the AC often because if I get my living room window open with the portable screen in, I am afraid I won't get it shut when it rains hard or gets cold. Not even sure if I can open and close the window gate, which is on the inside. I the air shaft windows in the bedroom and bathroom open with screens in.

Monday was Day 10 of wrist fracture (I suppose if a fracture takes 6 weeks to heal then there are a total of 42 days plus hand therapy). I am tired of this but managing pretty well. Not in pain but need to pop Advil 2-3 times a day. I stayed in Sunday but got out Monday for a walk and a stop at the store for milk. My walk was over towards the river but didn't go into the park (it got dark by then). Walked up to 70th St. on Riverside Blvd and headed over to Broadway to head home.

I passed by my first NYC home at 70th & Amsterdam (1973-77) where there is an expensive Cafe Luxembourg with outdoor tables (for past 15 years). They get to serve inside at 25% capacity starting Wednesday. I have passed this one other times, and I think that now they have more outdoor tables with small plexiglass partitions. Looks crowded to me. The lobby of the building looks the same as it did when I lived there, with the doorman not at the door but at a desk close to the elevator.

Hope everyone is well and that you enjoy your day.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34054 on: September 29, 2020, 05:06:33 am »
    Good morning.

Down to 46 degrees this morning and heading to the 70s with sunny skies. Temperatures during my walks have certainly been more enjoyable the last couple of days.

And why is it that the later you go to bed, the earlier it is when you wake up. Went to bed about midnight and have been awake since a little before 5:30. Finally got up a little before 6. At least I apparently did not disturb the spouse.

Nothing on the calendar for today. I do have ideas about having II move the couch out from the wall so I can vacuum behind it and wash the window. We'll see if I am still that ambitious after breakfast.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

Offline Louise Bates

• Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • StarDance Press
    « Reply #34055 on: September 29, 2020, 06:43:57 am »
    Good morning from southern Maine, where it is unseasonably warm today and the leaves are putting on the most spectacular show. Went for a jog with my husband (ok, mostly walking, but I'm working on it) after school dropoff, and if the jogging hadn't been leaving me breathless the colors surrounding us certainly would have.

Plans for today involve writing, knitting, laundry, and taking care of the mountain of clothing that has magically appeared on the chair in my room (where does it all COME from? I didn't even think I owned this many clothes). Hope today is wonderful for all of you no matter where you are!
    Louise Bates, author of the Pauline Gray mysteries
    aka
    E.L. Bates, author of the Whitney & Davies fantasy-mystery series and the space opera From the Shadows

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34056 on: September 29, 2020, 08:23:55 pm »
    Loonlover, from what you have written about the weather recently, I am wondering what part of the state you live in. If it is northern Arkansas, is cooler weather this time of the year the norm?

It is currently 72 degrees with showers here (11:20pm Tuesday). I cannot say mucn because of what I just watched on TV that went 9 minutes over.

I went out only to buy wine, brought it back and went out again to Rite Aid. When I left it was pouring rain. I had my new umbrella. It is hard to rely on my left hand though.

Hope everyone is well and has a good Wednesday. We miss Napcat. Hope he is well.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34057 on: September 30, 2020, 05:51:11 am »
    Good morning.

Welcome, Louise.

mlewis, we are in the central part of the state, just barely outside Little Rock. Cooler daytime temps at this time of year are mostly normal, although lows in the 40s don't usually arrive until October. The Ozarks (north and west of us) and the Ouachita Mountains (slightly south and west of us) usually see lows in the 40s in September. We don't usually have frost warnings until late November.

Chores accomplished yesterday. Some laundry and assorted other little things might get done today. I haven't been out since Friday so may make a trip to fill the car's gas tank. I think it is beneficial to not go too long without driving somewhere.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34058 on: September 30, 2020, 08:00:08 am »
    Good morning.  It was lovely in the 50s first thing this morning.   Our high should only be in the 80s.  Yesterday was much the same - except that I was on the road.  I had to drive out to our Game Warden Training Center to look at some problems with the AV equipment in the classroom.  I found a workaround for their main problem.  But they have a piece of hardware that appears to be non-functioning.  And the main switching component of the system is original from over 10 years ago, so it really needs to be replaced at some point.  With a new class of cadets starting tomorrow, I doubt it will happen this calendar year.  But it was a gorgeous day for a drive.  I need to get back out real quick this week to fill up the  Camaro's gas tank.  I don't like letting it sit too close to empty.
    Today is dentist day - yikes.  I was up quite a few times last night worrying about it.
    Stay safe everybody.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34059 on: October 01, 2020, 05:23:42 am »
    Good morning.

55 degrees and we'll have sunny skies and a high in the 70s.

Not much going on around here. II works 3-11 today. No clue what I might do while he is gone, not that there isn't plenty to keep me occupied.

Do take some time to enjoy your day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34060 on: October 01, 2020, 01:39:44 pm »
    Happy October!
    It was in the 50s again this morning and we have warmed up to 86 this afternoon.  It would be lovely in our yard if I didn't get bombarded by mosquitoes as soon as I walk out the door.
    Visit to the dentist was about what I expected.  There is nothing they can do with what's left of the tooth.  Apparently after a root canal, the roots can get brittle and crack over time.  That particular root canal was done 22 years ago before we moved to Austin.  So we are waiting to schedule and appointment with an oral surgeon to remove it. 
    Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34061 on: October 02, 2020, 01:24:52 am »
    Andra, good luck with your tooth and getting the work done by the oral surgeon.

Didn't do much Thursday. Weather was good later in the day. 66 degrees. 61 now. I walked to Amish Market on 9th Avenue below 50th Street.  I passed a lot of restaurants that were serving outside but also on the 2nd day they can operate at 25% capacity inside. Most of them had no takers for inside, but one (the Shaking Crab) was more than half full of people at inside tables. That will not be for me to do. Cases are up in some zip codes in NY (state and city). My zip is OK, but it had very high numbers in March-May.

Hope you all have good, healthy Friday.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34062 on: October 02, 2020, 05:46:47 am »
    Good morning.

Andra, good luck with the dental work.

42 degrees heading to 70. I believe fall may have arrived and a slightly warmer blanket may soon go on the bed.

Pickup order at Kroger on our agenda today. Still don't like grocery shopping this way. I enjoyed browsing most of the time and, that did get me out of the house a little more often. While II is getting the pickup order, I'm going to quickly go in and buy a few items that I prefer to pick myself. I'm hoping to then stop by Chicken Salad Chick and bring lunch home.

No other plans on the agenda today other than being sure I get my walk in this afternoon.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34063 on: October 02, 2020, 07:45:13 am »
    Good morning. hunting and pecking w my left hand to check in. Wednesday I was stupid enough to climb on a blanket chest to change the battery in a smoke alarm, lost my balance and fell hard. Laid on floor for 90 min until dh got home from work. Had no choice but e.r. trip as i knew right arm was broken, 7 hours. Not fun. No ortho appt til Monday. Huge splint/cast, fairly painful. no meds provided after e.r., so making do with tylenol and ibuprofen.

Need to follow my own advice of stay safe and be well.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34064 on: October 02, 2020, 07:49:43 am »
    Happy Friday!  We have another beautiful day here today (even with the mosquitoes).

Thanks for the well-wishes on my surgery.  I have made the appointment for October 13th - that was the soonest I could get.  I'd rather have it next week so I don't have as long to fret about it, but it's better than waiting until the beginning of November (my other choice).

crebel - I'm sorry about your arm.  Hopefully the ortho will give you some better pain meds. 

Stay safe everybody.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34065 on: October 03, 2020, 12:37:05 am »
    Crebel, I am sorry.  Sounds awful. 90 minutes! Good luck and hope your visit with the doctor is productive. I've been doing well with Advil.

When I fell 14 days ago, I decided I would wait a few minutes to get up. Could not put weight on my broken wrist (didn't know then what was wrong). But then suddenly I need to get to the bathroom, so I had to get up.

I had made first appointment since the ER (which was 2 weeks ago), for this Monday, the 5th. I thought they were taking my insurance. They confirmed with texts this week, a phone call at noon Friday and then at 4:30 they called to cancel and said they don't take my insurance. I never had all this trouble before I retired and had insurance through work. I told them that they put me in a bad way by waiting two weeks to tell me and I'm stuck until I find another doctor and get an appointment. I tried their other office in Union Square, but they had no time for me until end of the months. How can I keep wearing the same dirty splint? I called Humana and they sent me a PDF with only 4 hand doctors in Manhattan.

But I emailed a friend I needed to get in touch with anyway, and she recommended a surgeon she had for her hand. His office address matches a hand place on my list. Even if I can't get him, I should be able to get someone. Would have take two buses or a train and a bus to 1st Avenue by the East River and 30th. Will call various places on Monday. I was very upset about this whole thing. Humana also gave me the phone number of orthopedists whose office is in the hospital where I went to the ER. They should have referred me to them, so maybe that won't work. Going to do some more research. There is an NYU Langone practice on W. 52d near me, but they aren't on the PDF list.

I was going to try to change the bed sheets today, but the other stuff got in the way. I stayed in.

Hope everyone stays safe. No falling!
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34066 on: October 03, 2020, 05:52:21 am »
    Good morning.

Crebel, take it easy and hope you can find a way to stay comfortable until Monday.

mlewis, hope you are able to find a doctor soon.

Nothing much going on here. Weather looks like it will be pleasant for the next several days.

Take care and stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34067 on: October 04, 2020, 05:46:24 am »
    Good morning.

Have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34068 on: October 04, 2020, 07:59:01 am »
    good morning. doing ok, thanks for well wishes. i did finally get some meds and havent had to use much at all. think i felt better just knowing they were available!

main issue now is figuring out use of only 1, and my non-dominate hand, for every day stuff. think i have provided dh with some excellent entertainment, but he is taking very good care of me.

my intent has been to mask up and vote early in person on our first day tomorrow. now im not sure i can fill in the ballot! AGGGGHHHHHH.  Here is hoping ortho will be redoing splint/casting to something a little more comfortable tomorrow afternoon.

stay safe, be well, dont do any silly climbing, especially if no one else is around.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34069 on: October 04, 2020, 08:05:37 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

Oh no, Crebel! Glad you now have some meds and that they are working! I hope your appointment Monday goes well and that you heal well and quickly.

I hope you get an appointment soon with a good doctor, mlewis.

Andra, may your surgery go well with no complications.

Everyone, stay safe!

My week has been busy but fortunately relatively uneventful. Sorting through stuff, moving furniture, sewing, folding paper, gardening, laundry and other housework have been the main activities. The sale of mom's house to my nephew and his wife is now complete. My oldest granddaughter is now 23 years old. DH is currently at our daughter's house watching the dogs while our daughter and oldest granddaughter are on a birthday weekend trip to visit the youngest granddaughter in Flagstaff. DH is also working on a remodeling project at our daughter's house. He has removed the pantry door and door frame in order to widen the opening on one side. Then he will be building and hanging a sliding door to look like a barn door. This will give much easier access to the entire pantry and will hopefully look great. He now has his table saw and several tools moved to our daughter's garage. Our daughter has a list of various projects to keep him busy. Meanwhile, I am home watching the cats and working on projects here.

May your day be wonderful. Be excellent to each other. Stay safe and healthy.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34070 on: October 05, 2020, 12:34:39 am »
    Crebel, I have been concerned about the ballot writing too. Ours has the little circles that we fill in. Good luck. I think it's going to be OK, and early voting starts here on October 24th, just a week of it. I will go 2nd or 3rd day in case there are a lot of anxious people going the first day. Tomorrow I am going to write my rent check. It's been due on the 15th instead of the 1st since April.

My rent bill came with an error. My new lease renewal just started with no increase the first year and $7.40 in October, 2021. The bill has the small increase starting now. Going to send an email to the agent and tell her it's an error and that my check will be for the lower amount.

When I took phone numbers down on Friday, I had a harder time writing with left than the damaged right, so I think I'll write the check with my right and not bear down on it. It will look different though. When I wrote numbers with the left, it wasn't coming out well and lines and curves were going wrong. In the ER they had me sign on an electronic slate, and I automatically did it with right (it looked pretty bad).

Will let you know after I get a doctor appointment.  It's too bad about the insurance, but there are a lot of good doctors in this city. I should shop for a new medicare supplemental. I have an advantage plan now. My brother emailed me, "I know you like the free monthly premiums, but . . ." He has an expensive supplemental and separate prescription plan. He's needed to use it a lot. We never know when we have to go to a different specialist.

Hope this day will go well for everyone. Where's Napcat?
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34071 on: October 05, 2020, 08:26:48 am »
    Good morning.

It looks like we'll have another nice fall day today. Still itching to get out and do yard work but I will follow the allergist's orders and continue to ignore the itch.

A couple of errands to run today but no particular time frame in mind.

Crebel, hope your doctor's appointment gets you the treatment you need.

mlewis, hope you are able to find a doctor quickly.

Hope everyone's day goes smoothly even with the doctor issues. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34072 on: October 05, 2020, 10:01:41 pm »
    Good morning. Hope you are all well. Crebel, let us know how you are doing. I learned earlier about a friend (Ed. next door neighbor/great friend to my late brother Paul in New Jersey) who was riding his bike Monday morning and was hit by a car. He posted to facebook with a photo. He's in the hospital overnight for observation.

I called one hand doctor's office on the east side. Didn't reach a person on the phone. Assistant's voice mail asked for a message and gave her email. She is still working from home. I did not hear back for well over an hour and I did send an email to give details and photo of my insurance card. She sent email through their secure site that they were checking on the insurance (so I wouldn't go through that again). Haven't heard back yet, so it's pending with the earliest possible appointment on the 13th.

I went to the ER to see if they would look at my wrist. One doctor looked at it but it had the splint and wrap on it. He checked on how well my fingers are moving. Thought it was OK. Then I waited for someone else. Another ER doc told me the hospital has an orthopedic clinic Thursday and Friday mornings (morning!!!!!). Told me to call them for an appointment tomorrow. Will see how that goes. Maybe I'll get a cast.

They offered me the senior flu shot and I took it. Had to wait again for it. Good that it's done, because some drugs stores are short on the high dose one. I stopped on the way home at CVS for diet pepsi, Nips and Raisinets (on sale) and the Flame diner for take-out matzoh ball soup. I had not been in there for years. They were nice. They'd closed this year until outdoor tables were allowed. Now they have some plexiglass partitions for the inside booths. No one was eating inside.
    New York, NY

Online telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34073 on: October 06, 2020, 02:43:56 am »
    crebel will probably be off the boards for a few days.  she apparently displaced every bone in her wrist and is scheduled for outpatient surgery on Tuesday afternoon.

will update as i get more info.

and mlewis- i was never really a fan of the flame diner. 

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34074 on: October 06, 2020, 05:38:36 am »
    Good morning.

A little cooler here this morning at 40 degrees but will warm up to the upper 70s.

Allergy shot day and II working 11-7 tonight. We'll head to the allergy clinic shortly after II wakes up.

Hoping to do some baking once we get home. I've got eggs that might not get used in a timely manner if I don't make an angel food cake.

Swift healing to those with broken bones.

Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement