Kindle Forum banner

The Good Morning Thread

2M views 36K replies 570 participants last post by  *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) 
#1 ·
A thread just to say hello and good morning.

Rainy and miserable here in Maine today. The wind is howling! 39 degrees...at least it isn't snow.

L

See less See more
#34,141 ·
Boring exam results are good. Considering that I gained 20 pounds since March, mine were quite good on Sept. 2nd. I was afraid that my blood sugar would be high, but it was normal. It has not been high yet.

When I visited the hand doctor last week, he told me that my fracture is seen almost exclusively in people with osteoporosis. I do have osteoporosis in the arm, but have fallen before without fractures. From what I read online, a distal radius fracture is very common (that is what mine is). the doctor suggested that I work with my GYN about bone density. I explained to him that I'd taken Evista 6 months, which led to a pulmonary embolism. I don't want to trade the osteo problem for possibly fatal other ones. He thought that maybe in 10 years I'll fall and fracture my hip. (So far i don't have osteoporosis in hip or spine). One of the heavy-duty treatments for bone density is Prolia, which has a list of awful possible side effects.

Crebel, I hope you are doing well. I am also concerned with how long the therapy will be. I think my doctor said about two months. I am determined to get back to the flute when it's OK.

I had an appointment at the Apple store on 5th Avenue Tuesday night. I was leaning towards just getting a new battery, but I bought a new SE phone. The diagnostics showed a bad battery and phone being too full. I bought a phone with 128 GB instead of 64. This Apple store is open 24/7. I used to go to this one after work at 1am to look at stuff when I worked in that building (until 2009). The Lincoln Center location is closer to me but closes at 9 and didn't have any appointments available at genius bar until next Monday.

#34,142 ·
Good morning.

Foggy this morning and heading to a high of around 85 again.

mlewis, I agree with worrying about the side effects from the osteoporosis medications. I quit taking them also as I viewed the alternative better than dealing with the drugs.

My dental exam was routine, but II will be getting another crown. Appointments scheduled for next month to take care of that.

Haircuts today. Somehow we seem to schedule multiple appointments in a week, then have nothing for a span of time. Oh well, looks like lunch out again today. Always agreeable to that. Also have a Walmart pickup scheduled for after the haircuts. And, another stop at CVS as one of II's prescriptions wasn't ready yesterday. At least errands get us out of the house some.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

#34,143 ·
Good morning.  It's 70 and overcast here this morning.  I am sitting on hold trying to determine if I actually have a mammogram appointment this morning.  I've been on hold forever it seems.
Oh well, I guess I am taking off early either way.
I have gotten into a funk so don't be surprised if I am out of pocket for a bit.
Take care and stay safe.

#34,144 ·
Good morning.

Another warm day expected with cloudy skies. I really think I might be ready for some cooler temps. Maybe that would also calm the seasonal allergies down a bit.

Errands accomplished yesterday, and then I was lazy after we got home.

II works 11-7 tonight. Otherwise, no particular plans. 

Andra, hope things get better. This year has not lent itself to allowing us to stay upbeat in too many ways.

Stay safe.

#34,145 ·
Morning. Storms all night, in 50s this morning going to 70s which has created very dense fog. More storms tonight as cold front rushes in. Gloomy weather is not conducive to keeping a positive attitude along with everything else. Hang in there, Andra.

I hope the fog lifts enough later for MIL to take me to early vote. The auditors office has said they can help accommodate my current inability to write. Also hoping to see grandson's final football game if not cancelled for storms.

Stay well, be safe, U.S. citizens VOTE!

#34,146 ·
We had gloomy weather Thursday too. No rain though, as far as I could tell. More of the same weather Friday. It feels warm because of high humidity. 64 now going to 67 later today. I thought it was 3:15 when I got up but it was an hour earlier. I didn't realize until later when it was only 3:00. Friday afternoon I have an appointment to see the hand doctor.

When I went out to do a short run to CVS tonight, I saw the cat that lives across the street on the ground floor in her window. I had not seen her there for a long time. Here's a link to her. Not in good focus, but when I spread the iphone screen (even though I touched on the center to focus), this happens. I didn't notice the pumpkin and orange cup until after I posted to facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224532460004992&set=a.1070980780747

#34,147 ·
Good morning.

Rainy here with a forecast of close to 3/4 inches. It is raining hard enough right now to think that is underestimating the amount.

Crebel, hope you were able to vote yesterday. We were able to vote absentee. Requested our ballots the first week we could do so and they were sent to us in one of the first batches mailed out by the county clerk. We mailed them back at the Post Office in the county seat and tracking showed they had been accepted 3 business days later. Easy from our view point, but know it doesn't work that way in all states.

Nothing on our agenda for today. I imagine II will sleep a while this morning. He doesn't work again until Sunday.

Hope you are looking forward to doing something slightly different for the weekend. Stay safe.

#34,148 ·
Good morning. Yesterday turned into a beautiful weather day here reaching a high of 80. We were able to attend the football game in shirtsleeves and rain and falling temperatures didn't start until after we got home. Today we won't make it out of the 30s and snow is expected Saturday and Sunday. Just crazy swings from day to day.

Thanks, LL, I was able to vote yesterday! Workers at the auditor's office were so kind and helpful filling out forms for me and I could initial with a left-hand scrawl. They even filled out forms to verify my MIL to fill in my ballot at my direction. It was awesome and we were in and out in less than 20 minutes with no worries about it being counted now. YAY!!

Those events did mean 2 outings in one day for me, I was really tired and ended up taking pain meds last night for the first time in a week. That's what being an injured, 9-month recluse will do for you.  :D ::)

Stay safe, be well, and VOTE if you are a U.S. citizen.

#34,149 ·
Good morning. Glad to know you were able to vote yesterday, crebel. A cold front is headed our way with the high this weekend only being around freezing. Snow up on the mountains. We started our woodstove yesterday which usually stays lit until April... That's a lot of wood!

Taking some stuff to the thrift store today but that's about it. Waiting for the ball game tonight.

Stay safe and well!

#34,150 ·
I am glad to hear about successful voting. Not to be political, but I heard today that a certain person has been suing battleground states in order to suppress voting.

I went back to the hand doctor this afternoon. They took another x-ray that looks good. This is Day 35 (one day short of 5 weeks) and the doctor said he sees a lot of bone there where the fracture was. Not completely healed, but there is another week for that. They removed the cast. A therapist made a removable splint that I am wearing most of the time. I should take it off for showering and two or three time a day to move my wrist and do some simple exercises. I'll see doctor in two weeks and he will decide if I need therapy (which I expect I will).

I left a little late and got there 5 minutes before my appointment. It's a two-mile walk. It was cloudy out with rain forecasted, but before I left the sun came out. I wore sunglasses. Had to walk fast. Afterwards the sun went in. I took photos of the East 64th, 5th Avenue and Central Park South. There are some pretty mums on the islands in the middle of Park Avenue. I took out a slice of pizza on the way home.

I am thinking about flute playing, but I know to wait at least 2 weeks. After another week, I might take it out of the case to see what it feels like to hold it. The doctor and therapist did not comment on it. The New York Flute Club is doing online programs in lieu of in-person concerts. Last night they had the first webinar with a well-known member. She compared Debussy Syrinx and another unaccompanied piece. It went on for 20 minutes and cut off and I could not get it back. It was on Zoom. I did try to get it back. Nothing has been said about it cutting off or how it went. I had other things to do anyway. There is a program this Sunday. During normal seasons, they have concerts, about once a month, on Sundays at a recital hall at Baruch College.

It's been warm with all the humidity. In the 60s today, but I sweated a lot outside.

#34,151 ·
Good morning.

We're to be cool today with a high of 52 or so and cloudy skies. About an inch of rain fell yesterday morning and another inch yesterday afternoon. Should be caught up on rainfall for the month and still way ahead for the year.

Fixed biscuits and gravy for breakfast; then put dinner in the slow cooker. Today was the day to clean the Keurig and change the filter in it and the Brita. Easy chores but it kept me busy this morning. Probably a good thing.

Need to make a trip to the Post Office by 2 PM and II needs to fill his gas tank. I'm hoping he might be willing to do that shortly.

Hope you are enjoying the day. Stay safe.

#34,152 ·
Good evening from southern Arizona. I am spending the weekend at my daughter's house.

This morning my daughter and I went for a run/walk. She did the running and I did the walking.

This afternoon I had my overdue screening mammogram and bone density scan tests. I am hoping for boring normal results.

The pantry remodel continues.

Keeping busy as always.

I hope that your day is wonderful. Be safe and be excellent to each other.

#34,153 ·
Anna, I hope you get good and boring results on those things.

After my big day on Friday (doctor and walking 4.1 miles) and staying up too late, I could not get up today until . . . 5. It was a dreary day outside, but tonight I watched a walking video of ActionKid in Central Park at 2pm and a lot of people were out there in the gloom. Lots of people picnicking and playing in Sheep Meadow.

I went out to get a few things at Amish Market. Got there 15 minutes before they closed (9pm closing). Then I took out from a new Thai restaurant called Three Roosters, which is next to the Thai place I took out from last Saturday (Won Dee Siam). They only have chicken dishes. I'd read in Gothamist about the fried chicken with fries and got that. It was SOOOOOOOOO spicy. I think it was all in the outside. I hope it didn't have that much salt, just other hot spicy herbs. I finished the fries, since I knew I wouldn't want to reheat them and I left about half of the chicken for another day. It was that hot. Something about spicy Thai though is that if you drink water it helps to make the hot feeling go away. It was even hot on my lips.

There were a lot of people out on 9th Avenue tonight, mostly for outdoor dining or walking. The temp was lower today, about 55 when I went out. It's 46 now and only going up to 54 at most today. I wonder if the heat will finally come on in my building? It's almost 6am, so it should, but I bet it won't.

Early voting started in New York throughout the state on Saturday. There were long lines and I saw a comment on facebook from a woman who waited 4 hours and said it was worth it (same voting place as mine). My voting place is Madison Square Garden (for early voting) and my plan is to go Monday with a back-up plan of going Tuesday (when it is open until 8 instead of 3pm).

Have a good, safe Sunday, everyone.

#34,155 ·
Good evening from central Arizona. Strange weather for Arizona is predicted for tomorrow. Benson, in southeastern Arizona,  is predicted to have a high of 66°F with a low of 32°F. Gilbert, in central Arizona, is predicted to have a high of 64°F with a low of 43°F. Flagstaff, in northern Arizona, is predicted to have a low of 27°F tonight with high of 30°F with a low of 16°F tomorrow. I was dripping sweat in my daughter's garage today painting a faux barn door. I was in the shade with the garage door open. Painting the back of that door will be a lot cooler tomorrow!

In addition to door painting, I also did some sewing along side my daughter. I brought my sewing machine from home and she was sewing on her machine. We were both working on Rock Candy table toppers for the Journey2Nebula sew along. Hers is in winter prints with snowflakes and mine is in fall and harvest prints.

I hope that your day is wonderful. Be safe and be excellent to each other.

#34,156 ·
Good morning.

A low of around 50 this morning with cloudy skies and a forecast high of 53. Also a possibility of some rain showers around noon.

A produce and prescription run in my plans for the morning followed by laundry. Think it's time to swap out the wardrobes. II might just want more long sleeve shirts available.

Hope your week started well. Stay safe.

#34,157 ·
Good morning. I've been in kind of a blah mood the last few days. We've had cold weather, rain, and snow. It may warm up to high 50s this weekend.

Sunday my MIL is returning to Florida until April. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but suppose with the precautions she takes she will be as safe there as she is here right now. I will be riding along to take her to the airport and then we will stop at my mother's building for a few minutes. My sister will also meet us there and we will see each other, masked, outside, distanced. It will be the first time I have seen them since last Christmas.

Stay safe. Be well. U.S. citizens, VOTE!

#34,158 ·
Good morning.

Thinking of you, Crebel, and safe travels for you and your MIL.

46 and foggy here this morning with a forecast high of 50. Accuweather says it will be dreary today. Must make myself do something besides sit around all day. And there are things that need to be done, I just don't always push myself to get them done.

Amazon has opened a last mile distribution center about 3 miles from us. It has been interesting to watch as they remodeled the building and enlarged the parking area. We've been observing the arrival of dozens of Prime delivery vans over the last 3 weeks or so and one day last week saw multiple ones heading in all directions around noon. So we assume they are now using the facility. Part of my subscription order did arrive a day earlier than the shipping notice stated it would but don't know if this distribution center will have much effect on speed of deliveries. Amazon is also building a 5-story distribution center at the river port. Not sure when it will open.

Hope you find some inspiration in the day. Stay safe.

#34,159 ·
I found some inspiration today by voting! It was more exciting than I expected. I had been anxious about whether to walk to Madison Square Garden or take the train. Figured that if I took the train I wouldn't be out as long and wouldn't need a bathroom. I walked and it was fine. I heard from some people on FB (neighborhood page) that they waited 4 hours in line on Saturday, the first day of early voting. A friend in my nabe went Sunday and waited two hours. My wait (from getting in line to finishing voting) was an hour twenty minutes. I got in line on 8th Avenue near 34th. The line went south to 32nd and a long block to 7th Avenue to the front of MSG.

I never thought it would take so long to vote where I am, but I am glad that so many people are voting. The longest it took for me previously was in 1992 on a raining morning at John Jay College on West 59th Street. There was a big turn out for change.

There were a lot of chalk messages on the sidewalk during the wait about how important voting is. I took a few photos but they are not among the ones I posted below.

i wore this sticker afterwards and then stuck it on my kindle fire cover:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224572709051193&set=a.1070980780747

They gave me another sticker:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224572696050868&set=a.1070980780747

This was what I saw after I got to 7th Avenue in the front of MSG (I think you can also see there the front of the NY Times on 8th Avenue and the photos I took on West 46th Street, Restaurant Row between 8th and 9th, and it goes from there to some Columbus statue and Central Park South photos from last Friday):
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224571861870014&set=a.1070980780747

I walked home by way of 34th St. to 9th Avenue and up to 54th (had to go over to 10th to my wine store to get a bottle). I stopped at Manganero's on 9th near 37th and took out a chicken parmesan hero. I saw a deli cat on 10th Avenue that I had never seen before. There is a deli next to 4 restaurants with outdoor tables. The cat was outside under some empty tables. She looks like a big kitten. She was very skittish and eventually made a run back to her deli. I did not try to get a picture.

Hope everyone is well. Wishing you a safe and nice Wednesday.

#34,160 ·
Earlier today I heard that the elementary school that is my voting place on election day was closed because of a certain number of Covid-19 cases. Some of the people on my neighborhood FB page were in a panic over whether they can vote there next Tuesday. I think it will be open, or if not, they will direct people in our district to another voting place. They might even have the school re-opened for classes by that time. It's PS 111 on W. 52nd Street near 10th Avenue.