Kindle Forum banner

The Good Morning Thread

2M views 36K replies 570 participants last post by  *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) 
#1 ·
A thread just to say hello and good morning.

Rainy and miserable here in Maine today. The wind is howling! 39 degrees...at least it isn't snow.

L

See less See more
#34,161 ·
Good morning.

48 this morning heading to 54 with the possibility of a couple of inches of rain over the next 24 hours. But, sunshine is in the forecast for several days starting Friday. Lows in the 30s by Saturday.

Nothing going on here today except trying to stay dry. Over 60 new Covid cases in our county yesterday. So glad we decided early on to vote absentee.

Enjoy the day as best you can. Stay safe.

#34,162 ·
Good morning.  It's 38 and nasty here in Austin for the second day in a row.  I thought we were getting something with temps in the 50s - not 30s!  I'm glad I have been working from home the last few days.
I really miss Daddy right now.  I have an empty wood rack and really want a fire.  I betcha he would have brought me some wood.  DH found a place here that will deliver split, seasoned oak.  The prices are pretty high considering I used to get my wood for free.  But I'd rather have expensive wood than no wood.

Let's see, what has happened since I've been in exile?
I had my annual screen mammogram.  It was fine.
My gum is healing pretty well from the tooth extraction.
I was exposed to someone with Covid at the office last week.  I took a test on Saturday and negative results came back on Monday.  So that's good.
We got flu shots yesterday.  I took a Tylenol afterwards - no pain or swelling that I have noticed so far.
I put dinner in the crock pot yesterday morning.  The whole house smelled more and more yummy as the day progressed.  It tasted pretty good too.

Hope all of you are hanging in there.  The time change is coming up and more light in the morning may help my mood.  I did get a second therapy light like the one I have at the office to keep on my desk here.  I am pretty good at using it when at the office.  It's not a part of my routine here yet.  I'm working on that.

Stay safe.

#34,163 ·
Good afternoon from southern Arizona. We had a hard freeze last night (28°F). Yesterday I moved my tender potted cactus inside the workshop by the southern facing window and then put temporary Styrofoam over the window. We covered the luffas, tomatoes, and peppers in the garden. This morning we removed the coverings and the Styrofoam. The parts of the garden plants look ok but most looks very wilted. The low tonight is predicted to be 37°F with today's high at 64°F. Then we should have at least a week with the highs in the high 70s to low 80s with the lows in the high 40s to low 50s. Hopefully the nearly ripe luffas will get a chance to ripen. If the pepper plant looks ok in a week, I will pot it and bring it inside. The quail will get anything that doesn't ripen.

Laundry and sewing are on today's agenda. Tomorrow I go to my sister's house to sew sofa cushion covers. I will be masked if her grandkids are there. Windows will be open as the weather is currently wonderful.

Stay safe. I hope your day is wonderful. Be excellent to each other.

#34,164 ·
Good morning you all. Stay safe. Wear mask, keep distance and wash your hands without anyone telling you.  This is not a political issue that media seem to be making.

It's nice sunny morning and warm temps for walk....

#34,165 ·
We had another cloudy no-sunshine day today. (The sun was out for a short period on Tuesday, but by the time I went out it was cloudy again). I needed to do something to get a boost, so I used my Lifecycle. I'd only used it once since my wrist fracture 5-1/2 weeks ago and that was for 12 minutes. I was nervous about getting on and off the bike without putting my right hand down. I'm a bit more confident today. I used it for 24 minutes in sets of 12, 6, 4 and 2 minutes. I'm finding it OK to put my right hand down on the towel on the handlebar, but not to put weight on it. Part of the time, I put my elbow on it and tried to occasionally raise my right arm. While I was on it, I watched some Great British Baking Show on my kindle fire. I usually read while doing this, but I thought watching the show would make it easier.

Didn't get outside at all today.

I've been wearing my new Fitbit Versa 2 for a few days now. I am not sure, but I think it recognized my biking as a walk. I logged the bike 24 minutes in and will look at the app tomorrow to see if it shows as anything. I am not learning how to read this intuitively and have inquired a number of times on Fitbit's twitter page. I even had to use the chat to find where to set up the watch, because a set-up option did not show up until they told me to go to "profile."

I wasn't planning on tracking my sleep, but I've done it 3 nights in a row and find it interesting. All 3 days it rated my sleeps as "fair," but the best was last night (today, actually) with a 79 score compared with 70 and 72 the previous sleeps. I had 60% light sleep, a few deep ones and REM. I wake up a lot. (I knew that.)

We are in for another cloudy day Friday (maybe rain too) and sunshine on Saturday.

I texted the super about continuous lack of heat this morning. He must have done something, because we had heat for a short while. Temp went above 55 (to about 57), so we've had none since then.

Hope everyone has a safe and satisfying Friday. Welcome, HithyAnita. Where do you live (general area, at least)?

#34,166 ·
Good morning.  44 and clear in Austin today.  I am at the office starting to set up the hardware for our next Commission Meeting.  I want to get it done and out of the way.

mlewis - I think the sleep scores on the fitbit are very interesting.  There are mornings when I swear that I didn't sleep well and it will claim that I got somewhere in the 80s - so I don't know what that means.  What I find most interesting is that I don't get much REM or deep sleep.  On nights when those scores are higher I feel more rested in the mornings.  If I could find something that kept me getting more REM and deep sleep, I bet I'd feel better overall.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

#34,167 ·
Good morning.

46 degrees heading to 51 and the likelihood of more rain has decreased. Yesterday's more than an inch was sufficient as far as I am concerned. The low tonight is to be around 37. Just heard a small limb come down from the tree by the kitchen. Guess I'll be checking that out once it gets a little lighter out.

I think bread baking will be on the agenda for today. Not sure what else we'll get around to doing.

Hope your day is a positive one. Stay safe.

#34,168 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona. I will start packing my sewing machine, cutting mat, and other stuff in the car to head to my sister's house for a day of sewing. If the weather stays nice, I will set up a table on her back porch and sew outside. :D

Hope your day is wonderful! Be excellent to each other. Stay safe and well.

#34,169 ·
Good morning.

36 degrees heading to 60 with sunny skies. I am looking forward to something besides dreary skies.

II working 3-11 today so I plan on doing some house cleaning this afternoon. I've been too lazy this week.

Used a different bread recipe yesterday - one I had not used in a long time. Wondering now why I quit making honey wheat bread. It will be put into the rotation, that's for sure.

It's Friday so I'm hoping you have something in mind to make the weekend different. Stay safe.

#34,170 ·
Happy Friday!
LL, I can send you some of our sunshine. We had a pretty day yesterday, and today looks like it is heading in the same direction.

We are planning to follow our recent Halloween tradition and hide in the house pretending we are not home. I really don't think trick or treating is a good idea this year.

Stay safe.

#34,171 ·
Good morning. Dry skies here and headed to 50s/60s for the weekend; a nice break.

DS and family were coming for a short, masked visit this evening and I was really looking forward to a few minutes with grandkids. That visit was cancelled yesterday after DIL had lunch with a coworker on Wednesday and the coworker tested positive on Thursday. I was discouraged, but now is not the time to become complacent about mitigation measures!

They will still bring the grandkids in costume to our driveway Saturday evening and get their bags of treats out in our yard by decorations we will put out and we can wave, watch, and blow kisses from the walkway. They will do the same thing at their other grandparents' in town and that will be the extent of their trick-or-treating this year. Since we don't live in a neighborhood, we won't have any other kids even trying to come by, thank goodness!

Andra, good to have you around again and in better spirits after your short break.

Stay safe, be well.  U.S. citizens, VOTE!

#34,172 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona. If you are a U.S. citizen and haven't voted already, make sure you are planning on voting! If you have voted, verify the status of your ballot if possible. The ballots for DH and myself have been received and accepted.

It was too windy yesterday to sew outside. Instead the windows and front door were open with the front screen door closed and locked. Social distancing with my great niece was maintained. One cushion cover was completed and five more are cut out. After that, we will need to determine the patterns for the remaining cushion covers.

As usual, we have bought our favorite candy in the remote event that we will get Trick or Treaters. I think that has happened 5 times in the past 20 years.

Hope your day is wonderful! Be excellent to each other. Stay safe and well.

#34,175 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona. Yesterday, for Halloween,  I wore my mask made with fabric printed with candy corn images and my Legend of Zelda shirt with the chicken-like bird standing on Link's skull. ;D

Today will be the fourth day in a row sewing sofa cushion covers at my sister's house. So far, the three covers for the bottom cushions for the sofa are complete. The  material for the matching seat cushions for the chairs are cut and ready to sew. The material for all 5 back cushions, 3 for the sofa and 2 for the chairs is cut and one of those is mostly sewn (one for the sofa). After we finish those, all that will remain is the cover for the foot rest cushion and two throw pillow covers.  We are guessing another week of sewing. So far, my sister and I have each broken one heavy duty sewing machine needle. The material is too heavy for my sister's electronic machine to sew more than two layers so most of the sewing is being done on my heavy duty mechanical machine. We have poked ourselves several times with pins. We are mostly using binder clips but need pins for placing the Velcro closures. We are having fun spending time together, usually at opposite ends of a well ventilated room. When we are both sewing at the same time, the sewing machines are 6 feet apart.

In addition to sewing today, we will meet my DH at Home Depot to buy wood, paint, and other supplies to build a loft bed for my sister's grandson. (He is returning from our daughter'shousewhere he was helping with her remodeling project.) I will probably stay home Monday through Wednesday helping DH build the loft bed. I will be mostly sanding and painting.  I can sew while paint is drying.

I hope your day is wonderful. Be excellent to each other.  Stay safe and well.

#34,176 ·
Good "early afternoon" here from Oregon where I'm anxiously awaiting the start of the Seattle Seahawks game! Cold nights and warm days here; just perfect fall weather. We're enjoying it while we can!

I echo Annalog urging you to vote if you haven't. I have DH's ballot to put in the box tomorrow but I voted last week. I think I'd like to visit a place with no contact for the next few days...

Stay well!

#34,177 ·
A quick hello! Cold inside. 66 now. I had to text the super Sunday at noon about the total lack of heat. It was 52 outside. He did something, but it went off for a few hours and came back in the evening. Other winters it has started up very early in the AM, but now at 6:12 there is nothing. Super lives in the building next door.

Day before election!!!! Hope you have voted or are planning to vote. Our early voting ended Sunday. It was very rainy and I heard that the lines were short at Madison Square Garden. Not sure about the other 87 places in the 5 boroughs of NYC.

I didn't leave the apartment Sunday. I did use the exercise bike for 30 minutes.

Happy and safe Monday, everyone!

#34,178 ·
Good morning.

We put the down comforter on the bed yesterday. Good timing as it got down to 32 this morning. A high of 61 is expected.

Seemed like about all I did yesterday was cook and do dishes. We had banana pancakes for breakfast and I made chicken spaghetti for dinner. I now have a couple of more things to pull out of the freezer in the future.

Pickup at Kroger today. My plan is this will be the only one this month. Still trying to get more accurate with purchases on more of a monthly schedule. I'm sure there will be a pickup from Walmart at some point.

I realized when we went to pick up supper Saturday that I had not been anywhere since Monday. Going to try to get out a little more, even if it is only a short drive with no particular destination in mind. Even after all these months, I'm still not totally used to not having some place I need to go multiple days a week.

Hope your week is off to a good start. Stay safe.

#34,179 ·
Good morning. Mild weather in thev50s/60s expected for the week here which will be pleasant.

We managed to decorate a stand of small walnut trees in our front yard for Halloween, including hanging bags of candy on the low branches among the motion-activated witches and ghosts (both light and sound). Since it was fairly windy, the flashing eyes, cackling and screeching were already happening as the 2 grandkids arrived. I think they had fun as we watched and took pictures from the walkway. It was great to see them and their parents from afar for about 15 minutes.

On Sunday we got MIL to the airport and she is safely returned to her winter abode. She plans to come home again on her regular schedule next April. After dropping her off, we went to my mother's and spent another masked and distanced 15 minutes with her, my sister, and sister-in-law. It was wonderful to see them even for a short time! First time since last Christmas. We also got to meet sister's new chihuahua/terrier mix puppy, "Baby". She's a dinky cutie patootie.

All-in-all, a great ending to last month and start of this month for me. Now back to hiding in my house and trying to regain some finger movement in the broken arm.

Stay safe, be well. VOTE!!!

#34,180 ·
Good morning from southern Arizona. For those registered to vote in the U.S. and haven't yet voted, VOTE.

DH was at our daughter's house to help with pantry door remodeling. All that is left is mounting the sliding faux barn door but that won't happen until weekend after next. However, she can move the food back into the pantry from tables set up in the living room. They moved all the work tools and stuff out of the kitchen and into the garage where it belonged. As that was Halloween evening, they kept the garage door open in order to watch the few kids Trick-or-treating and be sure that the bowl of prepackaged treats on a table set up at the sidewalk was not empty. Shortly before 8 PM, DH saw a fairly big group appear around the corner. He called to our daughter for more candy. There weren't any more prepackaged bags so he dumped all the rest of the candy not yet bagged into the bowl, yelled at the distant group to take a handful each, and headed back into the garage. With about 10 pieces of candy left at 8 PM, he brought in the table and bowl, closed the garage door, and turned off the outside lights. As usual, there were no Trick-or-treaters at our house.

Yesterday my sister and I got to a point where she could do the finishing details on a couple cushion covers, and I could do the heavy-duty sewing on four cushion covers that she had done the lighter sewing on. I brought my sewing machine and those covers home to work on between helping DH building the loft bed.

On my way home from Tucson yesterday, I stopped to eat a late lunch. While eating parked in a parking lot near a road that went from an I-10 off ramp to an I-10 on ramp, I saw part of a Trump caravan go past three times.

I will be staying close to home for the next few days. If I drive to Tucson it will only be to exchange cushions, covers, and material with my sister.

Stay safe and well. I hope your day is wonderful. Be excellent to each other.