Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1528725 times)  

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #34225 on: November 18, 2020, 07:12:00 am »
Good morning.

Another nice day weatherwise. II sleeping for a couple of hours before haircuts at noon. He doesn't work tonight but I still foresee him sleeping some more this afternoon, staying up really late, then trying to sleep most of tomorrow morning before working the next two nights. The boss says he is close to hiring someone, but that will put II into closer proximity to someone for a longer period of time than has occurred in months since he will be doing some of the training. Mixed feelings about that but he really doesn't want to work 3-4 nights every week either.

Looks like I will be having to stay quiet the next few days, as if that were difficult. I have no trouble keeping myself occupied.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34226 on: November 18, 2020, 08:35:10 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

Inspection by DH followed by photos with phone have verified that I just tore the outer third of the little toenail. One fingertip Band-Aid is all that is needed today. 😀 However, I will be limiting standing and walking, for today at least. 😐 Fortunately, I have the new Fire and lots of sewing, pressing, and cutting of material that can all be done while sitting in the swivel office chair in my craft room. 😄

Hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other.
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:37:16 am by Annalog »

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34227 on: November 19, 2020, 05:42:10 am »
    Good morning.

No change to our weather yet. Lows vary just enough we seem to have to decide nightly what type of covers to use.

II working tonight so I figure I'll do some laundry while he sleeps. Meals will depend on how late he is able to sleep.

I may try to mulch leaves one more time this afternoon.

Have a good day. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34228 on: November 19, 2020, 06:58:37 am »
    Good morning.  It's 60 and foggy here and we are heading to the high 70s.  We picked up my car when the shop opened this morning.  I need to go down and see if the garage still smells like gas.  I am afraid to go check, but Ginger is wanting to go out, so I am out of excuses.

Hope everyone is well.  Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34229 on: November 19, 2020, 07:43:44 am »

I finished sewing some new masks for Raymond and me. 😷 I had made two Mickey Mouse masks the first time I used the 3D mask pattern from Marcy Harriell's YouTube for 3D masks following the smaller size. It fit well except when we opened our mouths wide, such as when yawning. I made this set from a pattern I made just a half inch taller and they fit perfectly. My sister gave me a fat quarter of the Minnie Mouse material after seeing me in a Mickey Mouse mask. 🤣 I can get six outer mask pieces from a fat quarter. The nose and chin pieces are black with white Mickey icons. The lining is plain black polycotton and the ear loops are T-shirt yarn made from some black polyester T-shirt like material made to look like suede that I found in the value material bins at Walmart. So far, of all the masks that I have made so far, these are the most comfortable and easiest to sew with no pleats or curves, easy to make patterns to size, and very little fabric wastage when cut from strips the height  or width of the pattern piece. 😀 I added a nonwoven filter layer and modified the tube for nose clamps to be 6 inches long for adding a fuzzy stem (soft pipe cleaner) folded in half and twisted. Timothy Totten made some 3D mask videos after seeing Marcy Harriell's videos with his most recent one showing modifications for a see thru Smile mask. I will be checking with my nephew's partner who is a sign language interpreter to see if those are needed. My list of projects is getting longer than when I worked full time!

Andra, I hope your garage doesn't smell of gasoline!

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34230 on: November 19, 2020, 08:53:56 am »
    Andra, I hope your garage doesn't smell of gasoline!

Alas!  The problem is still there.  Now I am trying to coordinate getting the car down to Corpus so my brother can look at it.  He's a natural mechanic and has been working for GM dealerships for over 30 years now.  He also has the highest certification that they offer - World Class.  If he can't fix it, nobody can.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34231 on: November 19, 2020, 10:29:57 am »
    Alas!  The problem is still there.  Now I am trying to coordinate getting the car down to Corpus so my brother can look at it.  He's a natural mechanic and has been working for GM dealerships for over 30 years now.  He also has the highest certification that they offer - World Class.  If he can't fix it, nobody can.
    Hoping for the best for you and your car.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34232 on: November 20, 2020, 02:37:00 am »
    Andra, hope it all works out with your car.

Anna, I am sorry that happened with your toenail and hope it heals quickly. I got a new blister under the 2nd toe on the left foot (never had problems with that foot before) after a 4-mile walk last Saturday. I think it's getting better. I've taken shorter walks since then, except for Monday when I walked 3.5 (part of it was Central Park).

I had my 3rd hand therapy session Thursday afternoon. Therapist told me I'm doing well except when bending the fingers down, it's not going very far yet. The other direction is good. Sometimes the back of my hand hurts. I'm in my 9th week of this. My right knee, already a problem for years has been pretty bad since that walk on Saturday. It doesn't like my walking a lot in cold weather. It was in the 30s today until afternoon when it was 40. 

I sent texts to the super four times today, because the apartment temp was 64 at 6am and 9am (first text I sent was at 9). It was 66 inside when I got up at noon, maybe 65. When I got home from therapy and food shopping it was only 67 and I thought surely the heat would come back on after 5, but it didn't, so I had to contact him again. Nothing for two hours. When it finally came on it was only 2 hours from when it would go off at 10pm. It's 65 in here now at 5:30. The temp drops quickly after it goes off and the high in here last night was just 70. I did cover the AC unit Thursday with a standard quilted cover, two throws and a blanket. So that shouldn't be the problem. I used a heating pad a lot over the past 8 hours, because I would not use a cold pack on my hand while it's this cold in here, and it helps keep me warm. I used it on both hands.

It's 46 outside now, and my app tells me the high will be 63, but if you look at the hour by hour it doesn't go above 61. Of course there will be no heat as the temp rises outside. I can't imagine that the super would let his place next door get like this. I may have to email the managing agent and tell her that I've been letting the super know and the next step would be to call 311.

Hope everyone stays safe and enjoys Friday.
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:34:30 am by mlewis78 »
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34233 on: November 20, 2020, 07:43:38 am »
    mlewis, hope you get your heat situation straightened out.

It's a sticky 65 degrees here this morning.  We are going to take a long lunch and go pick up the trailer from storage so we can get packed for the Thanksgiving trip. 
    I will be driving my car to my mom's and my brother will take a look at it once he gets there next Friday.  Hopefully he can at least make a diagnosis even though he won't have all of his tools with him.  Then we can decide what to do.
    One of our cousins will ride with DH while he is pulling the trailer, since he'd rather not be the only human in the truck for a long drive.  Then she will come back to Austin with me on Sunday.

Nothing much else going on here.  Take care and stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34234 on: November 20, 2020, 08:03:46 am »
    Good morning.

Andra, hope you are able to get something worked out on the car. Car ownership can be so frustrating.

mlewis, hope you get some heat soon. I don't know how you manage with it that cold in the apartment. I'm one that just kind of shuts down, huddling under blankets if the house gets too cold.

I've spent time this morning hurriedly putting together a pickup order at Kroger after my Walmart delivery did not happen. Very disappointed that I received no communication from them that the delivery would not be made. I made contact via the call center late yesterday afternoon and was informed that the driver had not shown up. Had I not called I wouldn't have even known that last night. I chatted with a rep this morning with not much satisfaction. The time frame for someone from the store to contact me would be 24-48 hours, or she could just cancel the order and I could reorder. My response was for her to cancel the order and I would take my business to Kroger and Amazon. The only communication I had from them yesterday was about substitutions on a couple of items. When I checked the order on line after that it stated they were preparing the order. No further communications from them about a delay in delivery. I went ahead and canceled my membership also. That might not have happened if they had just kept me informed about problems. Keeping the customer aware of what is going on goes a long way toward keeping them. Anyway, hopefully the pickup order goes better at Kroger. I really don't want to have to go into the store on a weekend. 

I mulched leaves in the front yard yesterday afternoon. At least for the moment there are not leaves several inches deep out there. I wanted to get some of them cleared before rain possibly moves in next week. Once they get wet, mulching is really hard to do. Hopefully I can get the back yard done this afternoon. We have fog at the moment, but it is supposed to clear later with the afternoon high in the 70s.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34235 on: November 21, 2020, 07:06:52 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently 48F and headed to a sunny 82F.

mlewis, I wish I could send some of our heat. Hope your heat situation gets better.

My toe is healing very well. There is a tiny blood blister on the tip and the fingertip bandaids that I use protect the nail bed while the nail grows back. I am glad that my shoes have a wide toe box.  :D

The septic tank inspection passed and the sale paperwork has been signed on the relative's lot in northeastern Arizona. Hopefully that means no more trips there for us!

Yesterday I mailed a fleece doggy poncho to my youngest sister for her new puppy, an 11 week old long haired Chihuahua. She bought him the smallest doggy sweater that she could find and he walked right out of it. I had her send me measurements and sewed a poncho that should fit. I used two layers of fleece and a layer of White & Warm batting. It should arrive Monday. Next I will try little boots for him to send with the next poncho after I hear if the first one fit.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34236 on: November 21, 2020, 08:58:15 am »
    Good morning.

The early morning fog had burned off and it looks like a lovely day with a high of 70. Rain probably moving in overnight into part of tomorrow. I know we are behind for the month. November is usually much wetter.

My pickup order at Kroger went very smoothly. I shouldn't have to buy much but produce for a couple of weeks, at least.

II doesn't work tonight, but does tomorrow. So, he is getting a little sleep this morning, then will stay up late tonight. They have hired a new person, but he'll still be working a lot of shifts in December with most of them being 11-7.

Enjoy your weekend. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34237 on: November 22, 2020, 12:44:07 am »
    With it being cold in here today (and warmish outside at 60), I should have taken a walk, but I retreated and stayed in except to go downstairs to pick up an Amazon package. I had bought a ticket for an online concert (a chamber group I know) for 3pm and I got up at 1:30. I knew I could just catch the concert later, but I thought maybe I should watch it live. Also watched some walking videos on youtube. There was one by Urbanist with a livestream Sex & the City tour in the West Village and SoHo.

I ordered a new battery for my landline phone a few weeks ago and put off putting it in until my hand could manage to get the back off the phone. The battery looked like the old one, but the plug was a different size, so I sent it back and ordered the right size. Got the batteries today and it turns out that the phone still won't work. Something perhaps to do with the base on the phone. Never had that problem before. In the past, I just bought a new phone instead of changing batteries, but now I'm retired and more sensible. I guess I have to buy completely new set now. I looked on Amazon -- so many different prices and few of them with answerer and call blocking.  I've been without the use of the landline for about 2 months now and it is more peaceful (especiall the week of the election). Maybe I should let it go.

46 now, going up to about 55 later. Maybe I'll get some heat and if not, I will send text again to the super. The temp inside ranged from 65-67 (67 now) today. I used the heating pad on my hand often! more to get warm.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34238 on: November 22, 2020, 05:56:29 am »
    Good morning.

We're at 59 at the moment; 63 expected before the morning is over, then temps will start falling midday back to in the 50s. 70% chance of rain this morning, but I haven't seen any yet. An overnight low of 38 is forecast.

II working tonight, then he'll have 3 days off. Then his schedule will be erratic through the end of December with 14 days scheduled. They did hire another person so hoping by January he is back to only a couple of days a week. We're still thinking it will be toward the end of next year before concerts could possibly be scheduled.

I made butter pecan cookies yesterday afternoon. Going to freeze them in individual portions. I'm the one that made a hog of myself yesterday so really need to get them out of sight and if they are frozen, it makes it a tiny bit harder to pig out on them.

Hope you have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34239 on: November 23, 2020, 12:24:56 am »
    We just had two cloudy days and some rain Sunday evening. We got a little heat on Sunday. Drizzly now with 80% chance of rain on Monday. I used the indoor bike. I have my 4th hand therapy session Monday afternoon and another one on Wednesday. My phone app shows it will only be sunny on Tuesday and next Sunday.

Hope you all have a good, safe Monday.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34240 on: November 23, 2020, 06:45:32 am »
    Good morning.

There was frost on the top of my car when I arose. Google said it was 35 degrees while Accuweather said it was 33. All I know is it was cold enough I didn't venture outside when II got home.

No specific plans for the day. I might manage to get some dusting done while II sleeps a while. He doesn't work again until Thursday night.

Hope your short work week goes speedily, or if you are on vacation, it doesn't go too fast. Retirement means weeks don't have quite the same impact they used to. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34241 on: November 23, 2020, 09:32:16 pm »
    Woke up at 8am after 3 hours of sleep and noticed it was cold inside. The temp on my phone was 57 but Alexa said it was 55. After an hour went by, I sent a text to the super. We had heat later. I reset my alarm from 12:15pm to 1:55pm. Just made it to my hand therapy. It's in my neighborhood but always takes longer than I expect.  Before I left home, the temp was 49, so considering recent experience, a long-sleeve T with down vest. It felt much colder than expected because the wind was blowing hard. Nice and sunny though after a rainy morning.

I worked my hand and wrist so hard at therapy that I didn't want to do any more of it this evening. Same as last Thursday. I have my next session Wednesday, so only one day in which to do those exercises. She gave me a few new ones today.

Mostly cloudy now at 43 degrees. Tuesday will be sunny, high of 50 and low of 41. Enjoy your day.
    New York, NY

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34242 on: November 24, 2020, 05:43:22 am »
    Good morning.

37 this morning and warming to 65 with rain moving in late this afternoon. There is a possibility of thunderstorms overnight.

Some dusting and a slight bit of decluttering was done yesterday. More of same today, I guess.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34243 on: November 24, 2020, 07:17:48 am »

DH is driving to central Arizona after breakfast for what will hopefully be the last task for the sale of the relative's lot in northeastern Arizona. He will stay at our daughter's until after Thanksgiving.  I will head up tomorrow. I am thankful that our daughter and granddaughters are in our bubble.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:22:21 am by Annalog »

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34244 on: November 24, 2020, 01:20:33 pm »
    Good morning (somewhere)
    DH and Ginger are at my MIL's with the trailer.  I had to come back to work through Wednesday.  I am enjoying having the house to myself.  I've actually gotten a lot of stuff done.  Not sure I'll get around to cleaning the carpet in the entry and on the upstairs landing, but I have good intentions.
    I also ran a load of dishes through the dishwasher for the first time since cleaning it and replacing some little part.  Everything came out nice and clean, so I am off the hook for a new one right this minute.
    The car is at my mom's; my brother will look at it on Friday.  He will also change the thermostats in DH's truck (a little excitement there - the check engine light came on when I was driving home from work yesterday).  I bought the thermostats today at lunch.  Apparently the truck is running cold - the coolant temperature is lower than the thermostat can measure.  I had no idea that was a thing...  I am learning all kinds of stuff this year.
    I ordered from la Madeleine for lunch today.  I ate the avocado toast and salad earlier and will have the soup and quiche for supper.
    I am doing a 60-day challenge at the gym (remotely).  The first week the extra "thing" was to hit 10,000 steps a day.  Week 2 was "eat protein at each meal."  Week 3 is "write down three things for which you are grateful."  I am grateful for all of you.
    Stay safe!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34245 on: November 25, 2020, 05:50:17 am »

After I bake a single batch of GF butterscotch brownies and pack, I am driving to central Arizona to be with DH, our daughter, and granddaughters for Thanksgiving. I will try a recipe for apple cobbler and substitute the same combination of GF flours that I use for the brownies (1 cup brown rice flour, 1 cup sorghum flour, and 1/4 cup millet flour).

The lot sale is final but it appears that a couple things may have been paid for twice (septic inspection fee and property tax). Fortunately those should be easy to resolve from central Arizona without heading to northeastern Arizona. I am thankful the lot is sold and the relative has one less thing to worry about. I am thankful that all the travel, starting last year pre-COVID, related to this lot sale resulted in us creating a bubble with our daughter's household. I am thankful that the result is that the five of us get to spend Thanksgiving together. I am thankful that our large normal Thanksgiving gathering will be able to meet via Zoom from more than half a dozen much smaller gatherings in different locations across North America.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34246 on: November 25, 2020, 07:06:53 am »
    Good morning.  52 and partly sunny here to start the day.
    I am hoping for a rather boring uncomplicated day.
    Stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34247 on: November 25, 2020, 08:00:43 am »
    Good morning.

The sun is supposed to be out around noon with a high of 65. Close to an inch of rain fell overnight. We heard thunder a few times and there was a little wind, but at least around us it appears no severe weather involved.

I'm going to try to vacuum and do a few other little chores today. Otherwise, it should be quiet around here.

Hope your holiday preps go smoothly. Make it a good day. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34248 on: November 26, 2020, 12:56:16 am »
    Happy Thanksgiving!

It has started raining and will keep on with that today. 57 degrees, possibly going up to 61, so there will be no heat in my apartment today. I sent a text to the super Wednesday at 6:30pm to let him know there was no heat, despite it being only 52 degrees outside. The heat did not come up until about 8:15 and it stopped at 10:00.

Wednesday after my hand therapy I took a walk over to Rockefeller Center and saw the undecorated tree and the ice skating rink. Saks Fifth Avenue had impressive lighting all over the front. I didn't go across 5th Ave. to see the individual windows but saw them later on a youtube video.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224793197603269&set=pcb.10224793210723597
    New York, NY

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34249 on: November 26, 2020, 02:47:17 am »
    Good morning. May we all find something to still be thankful for on this unique Thanksgiving day.

Stay safe. Be well.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement