Author Topic: The Good Morning Thread  (Read 1529719 times)  

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Morning Thread
« Reply #34250 on: November 26, 2020, 05:43:48 am »
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving.

As Crebel says, it is a unique one and hopefully we can still capture a part of what the day means.

II works tonight and tomorrow night so we decided to have our Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. There have been times in the past when we didn't do our eating on Thanksgiving Day. This year my menu isn't going to be the traditional turkey and fixings, but it will still be special.

Make your day special. Stay safe.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #34251 on: November 26, 2020, 11:42:19 am »
    Happy Thanksgiving from central Arizona.

I have many things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. The most unusual is that Roxie, the rescue dachshund that my youngest granddaughter adopted about 2 years ago, came up to me to let me pet her. She has been afraid of me from the beginning as I apparently remind her of the older woman who abused her. She has had behavioral training to help her not be terrified of, and aggressive towards, strangers. About 6 months ago she stopped barking every time she saw me. A few weeks ago, she stopped shaking when she saw me. This morning, she approached me while I was sitting on the sofa. I told her that she was a good girl. My daughter said that I could pet her. Roxie let me pet her for a couple minutes and then left. I told my daughter that Roxie deserved some treats. After my daughter gave Roxie a couple treats, I was able to give Roxie some treats.

I hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:47:48 am by Annalog »

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34252 on: November 26, 2020, 03:22:38 pm »
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Anna, that is great about Roxie.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34253 on: November 27, 2020, 07:29:10 am »
    Good morning.

Cloudy today with a high around 61. I'll be spending some of my time in the kitchen preparing a couple of things for our slightly special Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. That should override the gloom outside a bit.

Anna, glad to hear you are winning Roxie over. Having had a dachshund I can understand it being a slow process.

The gold finch have arrived. They had been showing up over the last 2-3 weeks. I have 3 quart jar chicken feeder style feeders that are now being filled twice a day due to the number of birds using them. During the summer I had only 2 feeders hung and sometimes only filled them every other day.

Hoping your day is a restful one. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34254 on: November 27, 2020, 09:20:26 am »
    Good morning from central Arizona.

Roxie has made it clear that she can make the advances but that I  cannot yet. I am glad that she feels comfortable with me around as long as she controls the distance.

Delicious leftovers for breakfast and also planned for lunch. I will drive home this afternoon. DH headed home early this morning  to feed the cats.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34255 on: November 28, 2020, 07:41:33 pm »
    Good evening from southern Arizona.

I worked on a poncho for a dog and taught an origami model on Zoom. DH worked on the loft bed.

Hope your day is wonderful. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34256 on: November 29, 2020, 05:57:28 am »
    Good morning.

We're in for a rainy day with an expected high of 45. Looks like we'll be having close to wintry temps this week.

II lugged all the tubs of Christmas decorations down from the loft in the shop last week. So I started decorating the house Friday and did some more yesterday. Also got the Santas my mother painted displayed yesterday. A long way to go, but I am determined the house will look festive this year. Not sure I'll get much done today. Don't really have a desire to traipse out to the shop in the rain.

Hope you have a peaceful Sunday. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34257 on: November 29, 2020, 08:22:41 am »
    Good morning. It is 53 and sunny in Victoria this morning after several rainy days. We were supposed to head home yesterday but decided to try for better weather today. We are leaving the trailer since we will have go come back for my car in December. My brother says one of the injectors is leaking. So he is going to see where he can get them for the best price. Apparently you don't really replace just one - because they will fire differently - so I need 8 of them!
    Take care and stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34258 on: November 29, 2020, 10:11:03 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. We finally turned the heat on yesterday as we have had multiple nights in a row below freezing. DH was up to three blankets and a snuggle sack, in addition to his thermal underwear. As for me, I had just stopped turning on the overhead fan and was no longer throwing off my single blanket.  ;) :D ;D

More sewing for me as well as sanding, filling,and painting what DH did on the loft bed yesterday. Today he starts on the steps and the slide.

I hope your day is wonderful.  Stay safe.  Be excellent to each other.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34259 on: November 30, 2020, 08:38:48 am »
    Good morning.

Anna, the temperature extremes between spouses sounds like ours, only in reverse.

It was 32 when I got up this morning. The thermostat was definitely raised once I arose.

We had to get out this morning to take II's car in for service this morning. He has a tire with a slow leak. Hopefully it can be patched. Once upon a time he would have just taken the tire to the shop. He has decided it is now worth paying to have all of the work done. Later this morning he goes to the dentist to get the permanent crown put in. He's counting on it fitting tighter than the temporary one.

More Christmas decorating on the agenda for this afternoon. We really have too much, but I haven't found anything that I am willing to get rid of yet.

Hope your week is off to a good start. Stay safe.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34260 on: November 30, 2020, 09:29:23 am »
    Good morning!  It was 36 this morning and should freeze tonight.  We had a fire when we got home yesterday, and I suspect that might be the case this evening as well.

Anna, that sounds just like us.  I just turned off the ceiling fan (and the other three fans) in my office this morning.  I had a thicker comforter on the bed last night and had to go back to the thinner one after about an hour.  Of course, Ginger is a good bed warmer too and she tends to sleep right next to me.

Have a wonderful week.  Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34261 on: November 30, 2020, 09:44:19 pm »
    My brother in Dahlonega, GA told me that he has his fireplace going because it is cold there. It was 63 this afternoon in NYC, but rainy. It was very cold (still is) in my apartment. I prefer for it to be colder out with the heat on in here!

I had a bad time with my right knee late Friday night. I couldn't walk. My knee was locked so that it would not straighten and it was painful to try to walk. I was sliding my feet and not lifting my left foot, it was so bad. I was reaching out to put my hands on anything for support (reminded myself of my mother years ago). When I got up Saturday it was fine and I could walk. Saturday night it went out again, but not as bad. I was walking but very slow and painful. I was good Sunday and Sunday night through now. I have an appointment this Wednesday with a knee doctor. I started looking for one Friday afternoon and got a list from Humana. Their list was 200 pages and many of the doctors were primary care, not orthopedic. I asked for and got some recommendations on NextDoor.com and a friend who is a runner. While I was at hand therapy today, I met another therapist who gave me a recommendation and called the doctor's office to get me in. They called me back and we made the appointment.

Told my brother about it and he said I should get a cane on Amazon for times when this happens. He has experienced the knee going out. He hasn't had a knee replacement, but he had a hip replacement this year.

So counting my hand therapist appointment Monday, I have 4 appointments this week -- one more for therapy, one for knee doctor and on Friday I go back to the wrist doctor.

A friend of my brother's (who I know) in Eatontown, NJ has Covid. Getting better but went into the hospital as a precaution and had the two drugs (Remdesivir? and the big steroid drug that Trump had). He is 73.  I hope he gets well. Prayers welcome. His name is Phil.

Hope you are all well and safe. Have a good Tuesday.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34262 on: December 01, 2020, 05:59:33 am »
    Good morning.

21 here this morning. I am definitely not ready for temps that cold. We'll have sunny skies today and the high is supposed to be 55.

mlewis, sorry to hear you are having trouble with the knee. Having a cane to use seems like a good idea.

There was a screw in one of the tires on II's car. The machine damaged the tire when they were taking it off the rim so we ended up with a new tire at no cost to us. The battery was also showing it was weak when they did their 15-point checkup and since II was suspicious it was going to need to be replaced sometime in the near future, we had them go ahead and replace it. Once upon a time, he would never have paid someone to do that chore. We're either getting old or lazy, I guess. But it seemed worth it to pay someone this time.

More decorating in my plans for today. II works the next two nights so it will probably be Thursday before he gets the trees up. I have plenty to keep myself busy in the meantime, and once he gets them up, that is all I will have left to do.

Hope your day goes well. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34263 on: December 01, 2020, 08:26:23 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

mlewis, having a cane handy is definitely a good idea! DH has a cane handy for when he has his rare dizzy spells and I have had one since I got the minor tear in my meniscus back in 2016. I haven't needed it since then but it is good to have a cane the right height handy. (DH's cane is a bit too tall for me. Sending healing energy.

We have the usual items on the agenda today,  so another day doing crafty stuff around the house.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34264 on: December 02, 2020, 06:10:49 am »
    Good morning!  It's practically balmy at 45 this morning after yesterday's 31...  We have had a fire for the last few nights.  I just really enjoy sitting in front of the fire with my Kindle.

mlewis, prayers for your friend Phil.  And I'll add my two cents to the cane discussion - we have kept two canes in the house since the first time I really messed up my ankle about 10 years ago.  One is upstairs and one is downstairs.  I replaced one of them last year so I could get the more stable base instead of just the cane stick.  (of course, we also have walking boots, crutches, a knee scooter, etc)  They don't get used very often, but are good to have around just in case.

I am running dangerously low on tshirts - in other words, I haven't washed tshirts in at least a month.  I am down to my least favorite ones until I get my act together and do laundry.

Have a wonderful day and stay safe.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34265 on: December 02, 2020, 06:31:57 am »
    Good morning.

We were at 30 this morning with an expected high of 54. May rain start around 4 PM and continue until about 10 AM tomorrow.

II works again tonight so will sleep most of today. He managed to lose his glasses at work last night (at least he can see to drive without them). Fortunately I knew where to find his previous pair. He already had a vision exam scheduled for next Monday. Looks like new glasses as well as contacts (he is out of those also) will be part of that visit.

One of the trees is up so I'll try to spend some time decorating today. Maybe some laundry will make it's way to the washer also.

Have a good day. Stay safe.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34266 on: December 02, 2020, 06:42:42 pm »
    I went to the knee doctor this afternoon. He seems good and listens and he didn't push getting replacement knee surgery. I had an x-ray that only showed the space where bone should be (arthritis). I got a cortisone shot. Had two in 2010. He also gave me a cane for those moments. I had another moment a while after I got home. Then I started cooking dinner and realized that the longer I stood up, the better it seems to be. I have no follow-ups scheduled, but I could call if I have a problem. He gave me a sheet with home exercises.

He offered to prescribe physical therapy. I said I might go for it when I complete my wrist therapy. Also, my freeze on my membership at the pool ends in January, so if I start swimming it would help. I'm a bit wary because we have to schedule the lane in advance, limit of 30 minutes and they close the pool two hours earlier than pre-covid times. I am convinced that not swimming and gaining weight has caused this.

Did I mention that on Tuesday morning at 8am, workers started work on renovation of the apartment just below mine. Oh boy. It was so noisy. I was half asleep and wasn't even in a good enough state of mind to put in earplugs. I was ready today and put them in when they started in at 5 minutes to 8am. The super came by Tuesday to look at my radiator because I keep telling him we have no heat or little heat. It has been better (I think he also upped the heat for now). He came back later and changed the valve and the screw thing. Now I occasionally hear the sssshhhhhhh of the radiator and the click that tells me it's working.

I didn't know that the neighbor below me had left, but she wasn't there much even before covid. Now another neighbor tells me that she left in September. There are a few other empty apartments in here. People are either finding better deals in the city or moving away. I've even looked at some listings. I could find something in a better neigborhood for what my neighbors are paying, but I've been here 43 years and have a very low rent stabilization rate. They are all stabilized in this building, but other apartments have turned over so many times and been renovated as well (many times). They are starting to put dishwashers into newer renovations. I would rather have a washer/dryer. They knock out the closet in the hallway and extend the kitchen. Then they add a closet to the living room, I think.
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34267 on: December 03, 2020, 07:22:02 am »
    Good morning.

Foggy this morning but the rain did not last as long as expected. Not sure how much actually fell as I haven't traipsed out to the gauge yet.

Making a run to CVS this morning while II gets a couple hours of sleep. At least with an errand to run, I'll not go too many days without getting out. We both feel like we are better off if we drive somewhere on a regular basis.

Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34268 on: December 03, 2020, 07:39:03 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona.

I spent much of yesterday on the phone with my cell phone company trying to find out why our cell booster wasn't working only to find out that the problem is probably our internet supplier. I guess today I will be on the phone with that company.

While I was waiting on hold, I did some hand sewing on a extra small dog hoodie that I made from half of a blue polo shirt using a printable pattern. My hand sewing was to make the length and neck size even smaller. I used a tan thread to make it easy to remove as the puppy grows. I took photos, added yellow markings to indicate additional places to make the hoodie smaller. I texted those to my youngest sister and then went to the post office to mail the hoodie. Yesterday she received the last package and sent photos of the puppy wearing one of the used sweaters. It was too big but he kept it on.  :)

I heard that our local hospital (22 beds) is full and is now sending patients out of town. We will continue to wear masks and limit exposure.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34269 on: December 03, 2020, 07:17:38 pm »
    Welcome, tomalexender. I worked 2nd shift (usually 4 or 5pm - 11:30 or 12:30) for several years before I retired. It suited my natural sleep patterns. I had worked days for 23 years before that.

When I got up today it was hard to walk, because my knee went out again. Now I never know when this will happen. It is good now. I took my new cane with me to walk to hand therapy, which is a half-mile walk from home. After I left hand therapy my knee was much better and hasn't gone out since. Tomorrow I go to see the wrist doctor for the first time in four weeks. If I leave early enough I could walk. It takes an hour to get there. Otherwise, I can take the train from 7th Avenue and get out at 3rd Avenue. It's 45 minutes altogether if I do that.

I might start knee therapy but after I finish my wrist therapy. Too much work to do both and all those home exercises.

Did anyone watch the Rockefeller Center tree lighting last night? (Wednesday). I watched for a change. They light it at the very end of the 2-hour show (there was an extra our before that started on local NY tri-state TV). I walked over to see the tree last week, but I probably won't go back while it is lighted, since there are very strict rules, getting in line, etc. for a chance to see it for 5 minutes. But I would like to see the Saks windows. They are on youtube. Back in the 1970s-80s, they lit the tree at 6pm and had the songs afterwards, as well as some professional skaters. They don't have the skaters now. It was almost 10pm Eastern when it was lit last night.

There is a tree at Lincoln Center, but in my online search the lighting event was cancelled. I think there might be a tree there. They usually have a night the first Monday of December when they light the tree and have a lot of activities in the neighborhood, with lots of food trucks. It's called "Winter's Eve." All of the theaters at Lincoln Center have been closed. All the theaters in NYC.

It is 48 here now and will be between 46-48 on Friday with rain (80% chance of rain).

Hope everyone is well and that you have a good Friday.
    New York, NY

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34270 on: December 04, 2020, 06:02:39 am »
    Good morning from southern Arizona. It is currently 28F and headed to a sunny 59F. I hope that it isn't as windy as yesterday.

Welcome tomalexender. I hope your internal clock adjusts as you need it to.

mlewis, I hope your knee and wrist recover well and quickly. Sending best wishes and healing energy.

Yesterday I moved our router to our bedroom as that is the phone outlet closest to where the line enters the house. I also set up my laptop on my bedside table with a cable connecting it directly to the router. Fortunately we had a cable long enough!  I then did the online troubleshooting checklist on the CenturyLink web page. It identified line problems so I opened the chat window and reached a service person quickly. Diagnostics were run by the service person that confirmed line problems. An on-site service call was arranged for today before the service person ran a reset procedure that might correct the problem but would cut our connection. If the problem was resolved, then I would cancel the service call. The problem was not resolved, so a technician will be arriving sometime today. While our service plan includes correcting problems on the house side of the line, COVID-19 restrictions at CenturyLink prevents their technicians from entering houses. Fortunately the phone outlet is near a window. The technician and I can talk through the open window while maintaining appropriate physical distance.  :) I might remove the screen if we need to exchange the router or cables.  ;) Hopefully this will result in a reliable data transfer speed closer to 10 Mbps than the current 0.7 Mbps! Maybe my Origami Zoom meeting tomorrow will not be plagued by low internet speeds and disconnections.  :D

My daughter's 11 year old Yorkie, a rescue dog named Ricky, has been having daily seizures for the past several days. She took him to the vet, tests were run, and a temporary anti seizure medication was provided. The tests results came back negative for diabetes and Valley Fever. That leaves neurological issues. Yesterday Ricky developed a tic which also points to a neurological problem. My daughter videoed both the tic and a seizure and sent that to the vet. The vet prescribed a new anti seizure medication since the first one wasn't working. Ricky started that last night. We are hoping that the new medication works. Ricky is an otherwise healthy and active dog with a very friendly disposition. My daughter's dog Lucy, her first rescue dog, passed away a couple months ago. Lucy was older, had become blind, and had other health issues. It would be very sad to lose Ricky as well so soon. Healing energy and best wishes appreciated.

I hope your day is full of wonder. Stay safe. Be excellent to each other.
    « Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:12:04 am by Annalog »

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34271 on: December 04, 2020, 08:34:23 am »
    Good morning.  We had a chilly start to the day again at 32, but we are already up to 45 and it's sunny.  I am taking the afternoon off.  I may bundle up and sit in the yard with Ginger since she loves to be out in the sun.
    I had virtual training session with my gym trainer yesterday.  My left knee decided to be stupid when I got up right before we started.  I pulled out the k-tape and taped it up.  Got through the session OK with the tape and being very deliberate in my movements.  I will probably leave the tape on until it starts pulling off itself.  I've been wearing my brace at night on my right foot to keep my right knee in order.  Guess I need to dig out the other brace and wear it on the left for a while.  I had purchased a set of kettlebells over Thanksgiving (5, 10, 15lb).  He had me do deadlifts with the 15 pound bell and it was way too light.  This afternoon I am going to Academy to see what weight I need to get instead.  He said that my chart from before Covid showed me lifting 15kg (a little over 30 pounds).  So I will try a 30 pound and see how it feels.  At least I can still use the lighter ones for different exercises.
    mlewis - walking, standing, riding a bike - all things my PT person said were good for knees.  But you already know that.  I tend to use the bike or a seated elliptical when my knees are being stupid.  That way I can work them without the stress of all my weight on them...  I missed the entire swimming season here this year and I can really tell.

Good thoughts to Ricky Anna.  I hope they can get a medication that works well for him.

I forgot all about the tree lightings - going off to google.

Have an excellent day and a wonderful weekend.  Wash your hands, wear your mask, stay away from people, and stay safe!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34272 on: December 04, 2020, 08:59:59 am »
    Thanks, Andra. We are certainly hoping the new medication helps. My daughter got it using an online coupon at a regular pharmacy. She looked for a good price after calling Walgreens and was told the prescription would be $1000. She found a coupon that would let her get it at another pharmacy for $18. (The coupon would make it $50 at Walgreens.)

The CenturyLink service man has been and gone already.  The school about a mile away is having problems as well. The service man said the main cable has bad spots. He disconnected both our lines to check them. They are both bad. (We stopped service on the second line when I got laid off about 10 years ago since I no longer needed a dedicated phone line.) He said that the main cable guy has been notified and can hopefully work on it today. Our service man said that he would reconnect the line for the phone. However, our phone still isn't working.

Update: As soon as I posted, a service truck pulled up. A guy carrying tool boxes walked to the junction box by the road. Maybe we will have phone service, at least, soon. :D

Second update: I now have speed of 1.25 Mbps which is apparently the fastest we can get on our rural 2-wire phone line. On our street, only 4 phone lines go to each junction box which is shared by two houses. Both of our lines were bad and one of lines for our neighbor was bad. Fortunately for us, our neighbor discontinued land line phone service so the service man gave us the only good line in the junction box. The call for the main cable line guy has been cancelled until there is a future problem.

The joys of the rural life. The service guy did say that if we were in town, then we could get 10 Mbps or faster service.  ;) ;D
    « Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 09:30:52 am by Annalog »

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34273 on: December 05, 2020, 05:50:22 am »
    Good morning.

29 degrees and heading to 62 with sunny skies. Sure glad I do not need to be out early.

Yesterday I got the Corelle Christmas dishes out. They are stored in the cabinet above the refrigerator so a bonus to getting them down is the top of the refrigerator and the cabinet above it have been thoroughly cleaned. It has probably been at least 4 years since we used them. This seemed like a good year to change that. I also put a festive red table cloth on the table. Definitely looking like Christmas around here.

II still has to put one of the trees together today. Hanging the ornaments will then be all we have left to do. I'm planning on that happening today. I believe he will cooperate.

Hope you have plans for the weekend to make it slightly different from all the other days. Stay safe.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34274 on: December 05, 2020, 07:24:03 pm »
    Good evening from southern Arizona.

It has been two days since Ricky started on the new medication and he hasn't had a seizure since he started it. He has had a couple episodes of pre-seizure twitches but no seizure. My daughter said that the vet said that it takes about a week for the medication to be fully effective but that this is a great sign. Hopefully the pre-seizure twitches will stop happening as well.

I didn't get thrown out of my origami Zoom due to slow internet speeds today. :D Apparently racing turtle speeds are sufficient.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement