Author Topic: Week 6: Chapters 10 & 11  (Read 1953 times)  

Online Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
  • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
    • View Profile
    • Eltanin Publishing
Week 6: Chapters 10 & 11
« on: December 17, 2012, 10:03:01 am »
OK, I admit it - I've fallen a bit behind. But participation has also dropped off a bit, so I'm not going to worry about being a day or so late. I'll post something here later, and if anyone else is chomping at the bit, then dive right in! :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline drenfrow

• Terlingua, Texas
      • View Profile
    Re: Week 6: Chapters 10 & 11
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:14:33 am »
    I just finished Chapters 10 and 11.  I found the one on poker very interesting.  My circle of friends got into playing home games of Texas Hold 'Em at the time he was talking about.  I remember watching Chris Moneymaker win that tournament.  It's funny, over a few years, as we got a lot better (well, some of us, I never really did ::)), the game stakes got higher until we "fish" got priced out of the game.  My husband still plays regularly but it got way too rich for my blood.  Luckily, he only plays for fun, and I think has pretty much broken even over the years.

I found the chapter on the stock market difficult reading.  I have never understood the intricacies of the stock market, in fact I barely understand the basics. and while Silver does a good job of explaining things, and the stories he tells are always interesting, I knew the information hadn't stuck when at the end I found myself asking "Now what's P/E again?".

Woke up this morning with a terrific urge to lie in bed all day and read. -Raymond Carver

Online Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
    • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    Re: Week 6: Chapters 10 & 11
    « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »
    There were two aspects of the poker chapter that I found most interesting. One was the psychology (which was also applicable in the chess chapter) - saying everyone will occasionally "tilt" (never heard that before) - playing when they shouldn't, when they are tired or frustrated, etc. - not playing at their best. In the chess chapter, Silver talked about Kasperov being intimidated when the computer did a move he didn't understand. It turns out the computer was making a random move, but Kasperov thought the computer must be capable of thinking really far ahead. Was it a Jets player who recently said that when they are playing their best, the Jets are the best team in the NFL? A totally pointless thing to say, since no team plays at their absolute best all the time.

I also liked the graph in the poker chapter that showed effort/study vs. results. At first, just a little bit of studying and tips will help someone do much better (this is also true in chess). But once you're pretty good, it takes a LOT of work to improve just a little. I totally see this in chess. I studied the basics, and let my husband spend some time teaching me things, but now, for me to get better, it would take some serious effort, and I'm just not willing to put that much time into it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement