Author Topic: NoiseTrade  (Read 4290 times)  

Offline Jude Hardin

• View Profile
    • Jude Hardin
NoiseTrade
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:22:49 am »
I just uploaded one of my short stories to this site. Looks like it might be a good place for those trying to build a mailing list, or for anyone willing to offer a book for free in hopes of gaining a wider audience.

http://books.noisetrade.com/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:46:28 am by Jude Hardin »

Jude Hardin

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    Re: NoiseTrade
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:04:55 pm »
    Hadn't heard of that until I saw Hugh Howey mention it in a FB post this morning.

The few books I looked at could only be downloaded in PDF format, so I didn't bother, but it's a neat concept for music and book discovery.
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline Jude Hardin

• View Profile
      • Jude Hardin
    « Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 03:05:02 pm »
    Hadn't heard of that until I saw Hugh Howey mention it in a FB post this morning.

The few books I looked at could only be downloaded in PDF format, so I didn't bother, but it's a neat concept for music and book discovery.

I heard about it from Hugh's post this morning as well. His book is available in epub and mobi, as is mine and most of the ones I've looked at.

Jude Hardin

Online Saul Tanpepper

• Morgan Hill, CA
    • 6 Gamers : 10,000 Undead
      • View Profile
      • tanpepperwrites
    « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:44:45 pm »
    I put up my permafree. It accepts PDF, ePub and mobi, so that's what I uploaded. Curious to see how it works.
    Spec-Fic for All Ages    *  AMAZON  *  GooglePlay  *  iTunes  *  Kobo  *  B&N  *  Smashwords  *  Facebook  *  Website  *  Tweets  * 

FREE>

Offline jenminkman

• The Hague, the Netherlands
    • USAT bestselling author of YA fiction from Holland
      • View Profile
      • Dutch YA author Jen Minkman
    « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:57:48 am »
    I put up my permafree and also included a few sample chapters of the audiobook edition. (The Island, in my siggie) I actually advertised the audiobook in the Noisetrade newsletter last week. Got about 50 downloads, so nothing earth-shattering, but it might help in building a mailing list specifically for audiobooks in the YA genre. Plus, being on the Noisetrade book front page together with Hugh Howey probably won't hurt :)
    « Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:01:30 am by jenminkman »

Jen Minkman | author website | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Jude Hardin

• View Profile
      • Jude Hardin
    « Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 07:59:07 am »
    I put up my permafree and also included a few sample chapters of the audiobook edition. (The Island, in my siggie) I actually advertised the audiobook in the Noisetrade newsletter last week. Got about 50 downloads, so nothing earth-shattering, but it might help in building a mailing list specifically for audiobooks in the YA genre. Plus, being on the Noisetrade book front page together with Hugh Howey probably won't hurt :)

I didn't realize that they offer paid advertising. Where do I find out more about that?

Jude Hardin

Offline jenminkman

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:45:18 am »
    You have to contact Joel Rakes. His email address is [email protected] ! They're not cheap, though (but I got a special deal because they'd never advertised audiobooks before, so I was a guinea pig ;) )

Offline Jude Hardin

• View Profile
      • Jude Hardin
    « Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 05:50:56 pm »
    You have to contact Joel Rakes. His email address is [email protected] ! They're not cheap, though (but I got a special deal because they'd never advertised audiobooks before, so I was a guinea pig ;) )

Thanks!

Jude Hardin

Offline Paul Kohler

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
    I was contacted by Joel earlier this evening for an a spot in their newsletter. The price was pretty steep for a site that just seemed to have popped up this week. I passed up the "discounted" offer, as I could do several other ad spots on established sites.

FWIW, I uploaded the first part to my Linear Shift series the day that Hugh mentioned it on Facebook, and I have yet to get a download. But then again, I'm not Hugh Howey.  ;)

Offline PatriceFitz

• on the water in Connecticut
    • Patrice Fitzgerald, author, publisher, attorney
      • View Profile
      • Patrice Fitzgerald's Author website
    « Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:53:27 pm »
    Thanks for this thread; I was just coming here to ask about this.  I just put up a permafree story there.  No idea if any downloads yet.  How would we know?  I haven't seen where you can discover that, other than staring at all the other books being downloaded!   ;D

My question is this: Am I correct that if you put anything there for free that you have on Amazon as a paid book, they will discover it and either make it free on Zon or boot you out? 

Author, Publisher, Editor, Attorney, Opera Diva
    Patrice Fitzgerald

Offline Paul Kohler

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 05:25:34 am »
    Hey Patrice- You can see your downloads on the Mange Your Account > Reader Data tab. Or, you sit and watch the front screen flash Half Way Home every other recently downloaded book!  ;)

Actually, I did see you book flash by yesterday after you uploaded, so I know you've had at least one!

Offline Justawriter

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 06:32:45 am »
    Thanks for this thread; I was just coming here to ask about this.  I just put up a permafree story there.  No idea if any downloads yet.  How would we know?  I haven't seen where you can discover that, other than staring at all the other books being downloaded!   ;D

My question is this: Am I correct that if you put anything there for free that you have on Amazon as a paid book, they will discover it and either make it free on Zon or boot you out? 

I was wondering this too, as I noticed Hugh's book is for sale at Amazon. Amazon won't give you the boot, but will they price match? If this site isn't on their radar, would be cool to try it out.

Offline Quiss

• Canada
    • spits infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Chris Reher Author page
    « Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 08:33:21 am »
    I was wondering this too, as I noticed Hugh's book is for sale at Amazon. Amazon won't give you the boot, but will they price match? If this site isn't on their radar, would be cool to try it out.

They'll probably dig it up at some point and either send a letter or pricematch. I'm not sure I'd take that gamble (unless, of course, you want to pricematch)

Online Saul Tanpepper

• Morgan Hill, CA
      • View Profile
      • tanpepperwrites
    « Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 10:08:11 am »
    Anyone else having trouble logging in? I tried, couldn't. Reset the password and tried again. Still couldn't.
    Spec-Fic for All Ages    *  AMAZON  *  GooglePlay  *  iTunes  *  Kobo  *  B&N  *  Smashwords  *  Facebook  *  Website  *  Tweets  * 

FREE>

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 11:33:34 am »
    Anyone else having trouble logging in? I tried, couldn't. Reset the password and tried again. Still couldn't.

I can log in but not set up an Author account.  Keep getting told to try a different URL--???  And like so many sign-in pages, they don't take into account that you might use a pen name; whereas, they seem to want one name that will also work with PayPal.  PLUS, they don't reply directly to your email but store their response to you in their drop box.  So, that's my story.

Offline Jude Hardin

• View Profile
      • Jude Hardin
    « Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38:29 am »
    I can log in but not set up an Author account.  Keep getting told to try a different URL--???  And like so many sign-in pages, they don't take into account that you might use a pen name; whereas, they seem to want one name that will also work with PayPal.  PLUS, they don't reply directly to your email but store their response to you in their drop box.  So, that's my story.

If you're talking about the URL to your page on the site, all you have to do is type your name into the box, lowercase and no spaces, and it automatically creates the rest of the URL. Took me a couple of tries to figure that out.

Jude Hardin

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 11:55:25 am »
    If you're talking about the URL to your page on the site, all you have to do is type your name into the box, lowercase and no spaces, and it automatically creates the rest of the URL. Took me a couple of tries to figure that out.

Thanks.  I'll try that.

Offline 68564

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 12:51:31 pm »
    I tossed my permafree on there and got an invite to be featured also.

Has anyone actually used there featured ad yet? How has it worked out? Worth the current price?

Online Saul Tanpepper

• Morgan Hill, CA
      • View Profile
      • tanpepperwrites
    « Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 03:48:19 pm »

I created a publisher account for my pen names.

Apparently if you're an author/publisher, the login page is different than the default site. That's why I couldn't access my account, as it didn't recognize my password. Dumb.

FREE>

Offline jenminkman

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 09:41:22 am »
    I tossed my permafree on there and got an invite to be featured also.

Has anyone actually used there featured ad yet? How has it worked out? Worth the current price?

It's a nice site and service (plus, you can download an excel sheet of email addresses of people who downloaded your book, which might be useful for newslettering) but $250 is too steep, IMHO. I tried their service for one of my audiobooks because I REALLY want to find a way to promote those darn things :P

Offline Wansit

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 09:46:13 am »
    I uploaded my book after seeing your post Jude. Just for everyone else looking at the effectiveness of the site (which is one of the nicest interfaces I've seen): In one week I've had 0 downloads of my perma-free. In contrast, with free ebooks.net I've had over 1,000 in 3 months with no promotions.

Offline Shadow XX

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 09:51:52 am »
    Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for places to put up some of my free stories, and this looks like it could be a good bet. Bit disappointed by the limited file types and the lack of downloads people have experienced, but fifty is better than zero. I'll give it a go.

Serious BDSM and kink erotica for the discerning reader.

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 10:22:47 am »
    I created a publisher account for my pen names.

Apparently if you're an author/publisher, the login page is different than the default site. That's why I couldn't access my account, as it didn't recognize my password. Dumb.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm building my first book and have several issues with that.  I've listed them with management.  If they cannot explain themselves, I'm moving on.

bardsandsages

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 11:08:14 am »
    So what if I am a reader interested in discovering new authors but I DON'T want my personal information given to every single author?

As a privacy advocate, I find this site disturbing. It is disclosed in the FAQs, but let's be clear. How many people READ THE FAQs? Half the people who sell through Amazon have never read the complete Amazon TOS, and that serves as a binding contract! Who reads FAQs on a site like this? When you go to download a book, all you get is a pale (light grey text on light grey background...good luck reading it) disclaimer that you will get occasional emails. A reasonable person would assume that means the site would send you occasional emails. The average reader won't assume that their personally identifying information is being given to the authors for marketing use (or gods know what else).

Moreover, if a reader actually clicks the "privacy policy" link on the pop up window, you will find an INCREDIBLY invasive amount of information being handed over to people who may or may not be people I trust with it.

We collect, store, and will share with authors or artists whose digital content or sound recordings are included in our services "Personally Identifiable Information," which generally means information that can be used to identify you individually, such as your name, your postal mailing address, your electronic mail address, your phone number, your postal code, and information about your music or eBook preferences.

Color me paranoid, but as a woman who has been on the receiving end of some truly terrifying interaction with indie authors over book reviews I have written or things I have said online, I am not comfortable with some site handing all of that information over to other people who may or may not understand that they are bound by the law. And add to this the fact that the site may be collecting information on minors as well (yeah yeah yeah, it has the legally required disclaimer about children 13 and younger) But do YOU want some site handing over your 14 year old daughter's home address to strangers?

Offline Quiss

• Canada
    • spits infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Chris Reher Author page
    « Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 12:09:35 pm »
    In contrast, with free ebooks.net I've had over 1,000 in 3 months with no promotions.

What is this site you speak of? ebooks.net? freeebooks.net? When I try to go there I get a religious-theme web site designed some time at the turn of the previous century.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement